Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Yep a strange one alright and I'm fairly sure Richie, Larks, Rice & Fennelly will give it another go it may not work out for them all but at this stage they're planning on continuing. The only real uncertainty is Jackie he genuinely doesn't know what to do himself. I'd say when he's foot is back to normal he will make the decision which could be close to Christmas, personally I hope he stays on as I think he brings great stability and loads of experience to the back unit. Don't anyone come on her telling me he's lost pace because ya can't lose what ya never had!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭brookville

Obviously it'd be great if everyone stayed on but I'd be very surprised if jackie stayed on, he has being an unbelievable servant to us and never let us down anyday he went out but like jj he knows the legs are going and probably feels now is the right time plus like henry says in his book it's a lonely place being a sub after being a automatic starter for nearly ten years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    Obviously it'd be great if everyone stayed on but I'd be very surprised if jackie stayed on, he has being an unbelievable servant to us and never let us down anyday he went out but like jj he knows the legs are going and probably feels now is the right time plus like henry says in his book it's a lonely place being a sub after being a automatic starter for nearly ten years

There is a chance of Jackie getting a tenth All Ireland which must be a huge temptation to keep going for one more year

I thought the very same with jj before he retired and jj was almost a certainty to start this year where jackie will probably be under pressure, I don't mean this in a bad way and hope he stays on but I'd be very surprised if he doesn't go

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Jackie told both local radio stations that he's considering retiring. I don't think he'd say that if it wasn't firmly planted in his mind. If he needs a second surgery on his foot (which he said he might) then that'll be him done I reckon. If not, he might have something to think about.

I think the time would be right for him to retire. He was well below-par this season.

• Advertisement

I could see coady trying to mould in a rob lennon/conor o shea type player for the long term replacement for jackie.brian kennedy has slipped down the pecking order at the moment but no player could be wrote off especially when you see what happened to conor fogarty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

If I were Jackie I'd be fairly optimistic about next year. Even though he got taken off in the Leinster final, up to the second goal, I thought he was solid enough.

Pender didn't do enough this year for me to say corner back is now his spot to lose. He certainly needs to reduce the free count.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

two players outside the panel or inside that you think will make a breakthrough next year?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That 60 minutes feature on hurling...

http://www.balls.ie/gaa/us-tv-hurling-documentary/311984

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

two players outside the panel or inside that you think will make a breakthrough next year?

Michael cody of dunnamaggin has been best player on the pitch every match for them this year but he will have to establish himself on the u21s first. Id say Chris Bolger would be my pick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thinlizzy51

Bolger for me and still think mark kelly could if the penny drops. (admit Kelly hasn't done it up to now when given a chance.)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

adrian522 wrote: »

That made me pretty homesick I must say. It's a big help in trying to drum up interest in a college where there's people trying to get a hurling team going though.

Also, Kieran's being described as the Hogwarts of hurling...I'm not sure whether to be proud or go and cringe in a darkened room.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

i found it pretty cringey to be honest, didn't watch the whole thing though.

I would be hoping the likes of chris bolger and kevin kelly can kick on next year, robert lennon and joe lyng are two players coady likes,mark mansfield has being very good and will probably get a look.the intermediate should be good sunday hopefully some will put there hands up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

Just watching the recent BBC documentary on Alex Ferguson's leadership skills. Well worth a watch because the similarities with Cody are so striking that the documentary could be about Brian to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Glenmore and Kilmacow in the junior final.

Anybody planning to attend the senior county final should hold off on any potential arrangements. If Ireland win tomorrow, final is due to be put back to the next day, bank holiday Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

citykat wrote: »
    Anybody planning to attend the senior county final should hold off on any potential arrangements. If Ireland win tomorrow, final is due to be put back to the next day, bank holiday Monday.

I hope you're joking ?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

He's not joking. It's settled. Like the church the Gaa has lost its grip. Oh for more Frank Murphys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Next Sunday it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 The Longlad

With a draw in the Intermediate County Final today the winner will be unable to take part in Leinster/All-Ireland championship. This is an absolute outrage that the winner will not be rewarded by getting to progress further. There is only one man to blame for this but I will not name names on this but ye all know who he is, cough cough Ned Quinn. He'll look after all his precious "County" hurlers and does not give two s**ts about any club hurlers in the county. I would go as far as saying there should be a petition to get him out. I'm not the only one who thinks so, many high profile people in the county are behind me. #quinnout

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

With a draw in the Intermediate County Final today the winner will be unable to take part in Leinster/All-Ireland championship. This is an absolute outrage that the winner will not be rewarded by getting to progress further. There is only one man to blame for this but I will not name names on this but ye all know who he is, cough cough Ned Quinn. He'll look after all his precious "County" hurlers and does not give two s**ts about any club hurlers in the county. I would go as far as saying there should be a petition to get him out. I'm not the only one who thinks so, many high profile people in the county are behind me. #quinnout

A slight bit OTT there now, keep up what ever your doing with the county team Ned. It's obviously working. You can't keep everyone happy but I for one am quiet happy the way the county team is going. Shame on you trying to stir s**t.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I will not name names on this but ye all know who he is, cough cough Ned Quinn.

You're a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I would be hoping the likes of chris bolger and kevin kelly can kick on next year, robert lennon and joe lyng are two players coady likes,mark mansfield has being very good and will probably get a look.the intermediate should be good sunday hopefully some will put there hands up

Id like to see a team combined of the above panel members and the under 21's play in the Walsh Cup.

So many players have been looked at over the last few years that its hard to see where much additions to the panel will come from next year

Has this been confirmed? There have been accomodations previously where local championships have run over due to draws/replays. TBH I don't think clubs care that much about these national competitions. If you were to ask either of today's clubs, I'd say they'd be happy enough with promotion to senior. Everything else is secondary.

As for the rest of the post, good luck with that Twitter campaign. :P

The talk today was the replay saturday and the winners out the following day or bank holiday monday but it's expected the leinster council will postpone the match a week for the winners.on the match today kevin kelly was easily the best player on display .ballyragget will regret giving away 14 frees although they couldn't have much complaints about the majority ballyragget should of had a free at the death which wasn't giving.the bridge will feel they can improve more with only 3 players scoring

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

The talk today was the replay saturday and the winners out the following day or bank holiday monday but it's expected the leinster council will postpone the match a week for the winners.on the match today kevin kelly was easily the best player on display .ballyragget will regret giving away 14 frees although they couldn't have much complaints about the majority ballyragget should of had a free at the death which wasn't giving.the bridge will feel they can improve more with only 3 players scoring

Sure play it as a quadruple header in the park next Sunday. Put the Intermediates on first at about 9 in the morning then the Junior and the Senior then the winners of the Intermediate can play Coill Dubh at 3 sure they might even be able to fit in a few celebratory pints while the Junior and Senior is on!. Be great craic!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kenajonn

What pure nonsense. It is very easy to attack someone from behind a keyboard Ned Quinn has done more for the county than you could ever do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

The first game was a total mismatch, it actually took from the second game as I think most of the crowd were in a stupor by the end of it. Mullinavat were hopeless.

Mullinavat most definately froze on the day especially at the point where they went 0-3 to 0-1 in front but they deserved to be there after 2 fine wins behind them and a fine performance agaginst Ballyhale before that a game they should have won. Their a young team who will learn from the experience and will be back. Mullinavat have a fine team in the making

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

ballyragget will regret giving away 14 frees although they couldn't have much complaints about the majority ballyragget should of had a free at the death which wasn't giving.

From what I heard the free count was 24 versus 4 in favour of Bennetsbridge! It's fair to say a lot of the frees given were frees but there were a number of dubious ones given to the bridge while Ballyragget were denied a few clear frees, most notably the stone wall free at the end. I think Ballyragget will be disappointed at giving away a decent lead in the second half but I would see plenty of room for improvement on their side as well - a number of their forwards played below their best yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement