Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Justice for the individual

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    From what I heard the free count was 24 versus 4 in favour of Bennetsbridge! It's fair to say a lot of the frees given were frees but there were a number of dubious ones given to the bridge while Ballyragget were denied a few clear frees, most notably the stone wall free at the end. I think Ballyragget will be disappointed at giving away a decent lead in the second half but I would see plenty of room for improvement on their side as well - a number of their forwards played below their best yesterday.

I thought that Ballyragget did what was necessary to stop any goals being scored, particularly previous to, and in the last 10 minutes or so, after a second yellow card on their full back for persistant fouling.

The Bridge were allowing the Ballyragget forwards free runs and were not as ruthless in their defending, hence, giving away less frees, but conceeding the three goals. The bridge need to put a man marker on both the Ballyragget right corner forward (did he get a hat-trick?), and particularly on Kelly (maybe Weafer) as he was causing most of the difficulties for the Bridge backs. Weafer was playing a loose man type of role.

For much of the game, the Bridge were persisting with either a one-man or a two-man forward line, and were leaving the entire half-forward area with much open space, particularly halfways through the second half - they did change that a little bit when they needed to chase the game. The Bridge were slow to get going and missed some easy frees and some of their players were below par, except for Blanchfield, who should have got more reward for his efforts throughout the game. When he got the ball, he was more inclined to attack down the wing, and the Ballyragget backs were able to funnel back - more central, and in nearer goal would suit him better, as he was trying to attack from too far out. A smaller, fast type of skillful player is needed in the forwards to compliment Blanchfield's bustling style.

Good effort put in by both teams on a pitch made a little slippy because of a previous fall of light rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

I thought that Ballyragget did what was necessary to stop any goals being scored, particularly previous to, and in the last 10 minutes or so, after a second yellow card on their full back for persistant fouling.

The Bridge were allowing the Ballyragget forwards free runs and were not as ruthless in their defending, hence, giving away less frees, but conceeding the three goals. The bridge need to put a man marker on both the Ballyragget right corner forward (did he get a hat-trick?), and particularly on Kelly (maybe Weafer) as he was causing most of the difficulties for the Bridge backs. Weafer was playing a loose man type of role.

For much of the game, the Bridge were persisting with either a one-man or a two-man forward line, and were leaving the entire half-forward area with much open space, particularly halfways through the second half - they did change that a little bit when they needed to chase the game. The Bridge were slow to get going and missed some easy frees and some of their players were below par, except for Blanchfield, who should have got more reward for his efforts throughout the game. When he got the ball, he was more inclined to attack down the wing, and the Ballyragget backs were able to funnel back - more central, and in nearer goal would suit him better, as he was trying to attack from too far out. A smaller, fast type of skillful player is needed in the forwards to compliment Blanchfield's bustling style.

Good effort put in by both teams on a pitch made a little slippy because of a previous fall of light rain.

Any idea when the replay is to be held? I think it should be played either next Saturday or the Bank holiday Monday unless there is a concern about the pitch holding up

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

blackcard wrote: »
    Any idea when the replay is to be held? I think it should be played either next Saturday or the Bank holiday Monday unless there is a concern about the pitch holding up

A veritable feast of county finals next weekend, Intermediate replay arranged for 3pm on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭corner back 2

Watching DJ on laochra Gael on TG4. He has to be one of the most skillfull ever to play the game. I think the best goal he ever scored was in the drawn county final vs the village. I think he was marking Shane Doyle that day. As far I remember Philly Larkin marked him in the replay. Philly never gave him a puck but fouled him twice in the last 5 mins and DJ scored two goals from a 21 and a pen to win the match. Was anyone else there and maybe you could confirm or correct my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Watching DJ on laochra Gael on TG4. He has to be one of the most skillfull ever to play the game. I think the best goal he ever scored was in the drawn county final vs the village. I think he was marking Shane Doyle that day. As far I remember Philly Larkin marked him in the replay. Philly never gave him a puck but fouled him twice in the last 5 mins and DJ scored two goals from a 21 and a pen to win the match. Was anyone else there and maybe you could confirm or correct my memory.

Was that the day the ref moved a free twice from the fifty yard line to the 21 for dissent? DJ nearly took the net out with the shot.
    Imo he was a freak. He had it all. Skill, pace and a great slap on the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

IMO DJ was the best EVER player that Kilkenny produced. A class act

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Tommy was the best hurler that I ever saw - with JJ a close second.

I think Ned should step down -he's there too long - and give the Longlad a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/245919?county=National
    eoin larkin confirms he will continue next year great news

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Very Bored

unrealtime wrote: »
    Tommy was the best hurler that I ever saw - with JJ a close second.

I think Ned should step down -he's there too long - and give the Longlad a chance.

Where would you place Shefflin? I have him as the best sportsperson, nevermind hurler, I ever saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭robwen

TG4 not showing Kilkenny county final live or deferred it seems, on the website it says Mayo county final live & Tipperary county final deferred

• Advertisement

robwen wrote: »
    TG4 not showing Kilkenny county final live or deferred it seems, on the website it says Mayo county final live & Tipperary county final deferred

Yes, its ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

I know you can't keep everyone happy, but after showing two puke football matches last weekend the least they could have done is put the Tipp hurling final on live.

I know you can't keep everyone happy, but after showing two puke football matches last weekend the least they could have done is put the Tipp hurling final on live.

But why are they showing the Tipp final over the Kilkenny one anyway? Kilkenny are the All Ireland champions and a Kilkenny club won the last All Ireland club championship. They've shown hardly anything but football so far in the club championships, the Kilkenny final live and the Tipp final deferred would have made perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

They rarely ever show it sure. no surprise there

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    They rarely ever show it sure. no surprise there

I thought it was often on but deferred. Probably not enough Irish speakers in Kilkenny and so they look at it with a certain bias. Wouldn't have thought there was a lot in Tipp either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Very Bored wrote: »
    I thought it was often on but deferred. Probably not enough Irish speakers in Kilkenny and so they look at it with a certain bias. Wouldn't have thought there was a lot in Tipp either though.

Nah its not, they had Clara and Carrickshock deferred 2 years ago but thats all i can remember from the last few years. They generally preference the Irish speaking regions despite how crap most of these bogball county finals are

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Nah its not, they had Clara and Carrickshock deferred 2 years ago but thats all i can remember from the last few years. They generally preference the Irish speaking regions despite how crap most of these bogball county finals are

I still would be surprised if the amount of Irish speakers is much higher in Tipp than it is in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

Hats off to the bridge today, fabulous achievement to go from junior to win the intermediate in the 1st year, have to feel sorry for ballyragget who seemed to struggle to get over the line, I felt the bridge finished better on both days and deserved it over the 120 minutes.the bridge will hold their own at senior and have youth on there side.it will be hard for bragget to get over this defeat but hopefully they can regroup and get over the line

They didn't show it last year either live/deferred as I can remember complaining on Boards :rolleyes:. Tough on those that can't attend but I'd say the CB are hopeful attendance will be up as a result.

brookville wrote: »
    Hats off to the bridge today, fabulous achievement to go from junior to win the intermediate in the 1st year, have to feel sorry for ballyragget who seemed to struggle to get over the line, I felt the bridge finished better on both days and deserved it over the 120 minutes.the bridge will hold their own at senior and have youth on there side.it will be hard for bragget to get over this defeat but hopefully they can regroup and get over the line

The Bridge'll go hard in the U21 this year given the numbers involved today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »

Two fine sides, could have gone either way with the sides level going into injury time. Ballyragget certainly good enough to make it next year if they can get over the disappointment but well done to the Bridge, they play a lovely brand of hurling

Any of you that couldn't make it to the county final today didn't miss much in the end. Lively enough first half but the second half never got going and was a disappointment. Clara were the better team and probably deserved to win overall. They did though benefit from a fumble for their second goal and given how low-scoring the game was, the Loughs may feel they could've taken it otherwise. The Loughs didn't have enough scoring forwards on the day and were hugely reliant on Bergin scoring frees particularly in the first half when he scored eight points.
    Thought Shane Pender had a fine game particularly in the second half when the pressure came on. Lester was quiet enough for him. Liam Ryan got some great scores particularly in the first half when he landed 4. Keith Hogan and Conor O'Shea were the pick of the rest of the forwards with the latter improvising nicely for the second goal.
    For the Loughs, the backs as a whole were solid enough, their full back line, uncompromising as ever. Bergin was their main source of scores particularly in the first half. Gorta gave his usual selfless performance but unfortunately there wasn't enough quality around him to profit. Disappointed with Kelly. Thought this would be a good platform for him to shine and get himself back up the pecking order with Kilkenny. He may wait for the Walsh Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

citykat wrote: »
    Was that the day the ref moved a free twice from the fifty yard line to the 21 for dissent? DJ nearly took the net out with the shot.
    Imo he was a freak. He had it all. Skill, pace and a great slap on the ball.

It surely was.... Hardly the 50 to the 21 though ??
    I remember him getting 3 goals from frees in the 04 final in the last 10 min and within an inch of a fourth. Some harsh frees given that day. Don't think he scored from play though. James Stephens went in to win an all Ireland and the 05 final. If the 4th one went in they wouldn't have won 05 either...in the 05 final a half back line of Larkin Barry and Jackie Tyrell I think. Or was Tyrell misfield ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97502648&postcount=98

Seemingly both the Waterford and Kilkenny county boards didn't allow County boards to broadcast their County Finals on tv. Pretty disappointing to be honest, I don't think it would hugely affect attendance.

Not good for the game to be honest.

Is this the situation.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

It surely was.... Hardly the 50 to the 21 though ??
    I remember him getting 3 goals from frees in the 04 final in the last 10 min and within an inch of a fourth. Some harsh frees given that day. Don't think he scored from play though. James Stephens went in to win an all Ireland and the 05 final. If the 4th one went in they wouldn't have won 05 either...in the 05 final a half back line of Larkin Barry and Jackie Tyrell I think. Or was Tyrell misfield ??

It could have been further out! It was in around there. Can't remember who the ref was (O'Sullivan from Callan maybe?) but it was farcical how much of an advantage it gave DJ at the time - who wouldn't have needed it. Of course Philly couldn't keep the gob shut either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭big_drive

Probably been asked here before but how did the Hogans end up on different club sides? Did one brother transfer or what is the background to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭Speak Now

big_drive wrote: »
    Probably been asked here before but how did the Hogans end up on different club sides? Did one brother transfer or what is the background to it?

Family moved I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Any word on Luke Harney?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Statement from Kilmacow posted on their Facebook page

As Chairperson of Kilmacow Hurling and Football Club I would like to extend my appreciation to our management,players,club officials and supporters in how they conducted themselves yesterday following the horrendous injury suffered by Luke. It naturally rocked us but it is great credit to everyone that we battled back manfully on the field of play. We may have lost the match but that is all we lost. We still retain our pride in our jersey, our parish and most importantly our Clubs ethos of how to play the game. Thank you to the pitchside medics,our own physios,St Lukes and Waterford University Hospital for the great care they afforded Luke. Thankfully the injury, although serious, is not as bad as initially feared and we look forward to seeing Luke back in the Green and White in the not too distant future. Thanks also to the many Clubs who contacted both myself and other Committee members to send their best wishes to Luke.
    Is Mise,
    Micheal Atkins.
    Cathaoirleach
    Cill Mhic Bhuith CLG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What happened him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement