Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    As I said previously the likes of richie power, michael rice and mick fennely have being unbelievable servants to club and county and what there putting their body through we'll never know all men couldn't even train for most of the year and they have to look at the long term affect along with jackie and possibly larkin we could have another clearout

There are not too many players who have scored 5 goals in AI finals as Richie Power has. Very few players had the ability as he had to catch a ball from a puckout, take a few steps and hit the ball over the bar. Definitely made the difference in the semi finals and final last year. Showed his class when he came on as a sub in the AI this year. Hope it is not true about his retirement

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I think Richie Power is the player that full backs most fear marking. Loads of skill but on form very aggressive as well. By far the most natural full forward in hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

Intermediate semi finals were average enough as games with Bennetsbridge being the stand out performers. They moved the ball around well and seem the best equipped to go up senior. Younger guys not fully developed physically yet but that will come. They have a tendency to play it short when low direct ball to their lively forwards would suit them better but they look like a good side. Freshford however were very poor, their striking in particular let them down and it was comfortable enough for the bridge in the end.

The second game was competitive for around 45 minutes before Ballyragget took over. In truth they shot a mountain of winds with endless pot shots from out the field when Thomastown clearly had an injured full back that could have been exploited. Kevin Kelly and Joe Brennan hurled a lot of loose ball but don't tend to mix it much. Thomastown lacked the forwards to ever threaten but they fought bravely in the first half and were up by three at the break. Jonjo Farrell won a mountain of ball and was supported well by Robbie Donnelly, John Donnelly and Dylan Walsh but they ran out of steam near the finish.

The final should be competitive but the bridge would be favorites in my opinion, if braggot can sort out there shooting and up to workrate it wouldn't be a shock if they got the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 BORO BILL

Intermediate semi finals were average enough as games with Bennetsbridge being the stand out performers. They moved the ball around well and seem the best equipped to go up senior. Younger guys not fully developed physically yet but that will come. They have a tendency to play it short when low direct ball to their lively forwards would suit them better but they look like a good side. Freshford however were very poor, their striking in particular let them down and it was comfortable enough for the bridge in the end.

The second game was competitive for around 45 minutes before Ballyragget took over. In truth they shot a mountain of winds with endless pot shots from out the field when Thomastown clearly had an injured full back that could have been exploited. Kevin Kelly and Joe Brennan hurled a lot of loose ball but don't tend to mix it much. Thomastown lacked the forwards to ever threaten but they fought bravely in the first half and were up by three at the break. Jonjo Farrell won a mountain of ball and was supported well by Robbie Donnelly, John Donnelly and Dylan Walsh but they ran out of steam near the finish.

The final should be competitive but the bridge would be favorites in my opinion, if braggot can sort out there shooting and up to workrate it wouldn't be a shock if they got the win.

very impressed with the bridge yesterday.They made freshford look very ordinary indeed. Thought Sean Morrissey was outstanding,this guy will play inter county for years, mark my words a real talent. Ballyraggett were very wayward with their shooting but are battle hardened in this grade and will push the bridge all the way in the final. Thomastown wont be too despondant. They hung in for 45 minutes but with 7 u21s in their line up they were always going to find it difficult to maintain their effort. They have been ravaged with injuries this year and with a team so young they can only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

No way should Larkin go. He is at the top of his form and with his army posting he will be in superb condition next year.

Terrible really for a young man but Richie may have to retire. Not sure anything more can be done medically for him. Fennelly will stay on as long as he can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

unrealtime wrote: »
    No way should Larkin go. He is at the top of his form and with his army posting he will be in superb condition next year.

Terrible really for a young man but Richie may have to retire. Not sure anything more can be done medically for him. Fennelly will stay on as long as he can.
    Pretty sure he isn't going on the army trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

blackcard wrote: »
    I am told that Richie Power announced in the dressing room before the match that it would be his last game of hurling ever. Sad if this were true, has been a great servant to Carrickshock and Kilkenny. The effort he made the last two years to get fit despite injuries was monumental and vital to Kilkenny's cause. He owes us nothing.

Terrible loss to tee game and a great player, very odd time to announce something like that though, after the game fair enough but surely it would have messed with some of his team mates heads and have them thinking about something they shouldnt be at that time?

Topcat32 wrote: »
    I think Richie Power is the player that full backs most fear marking. Loads of skill but on form very aggressive as well. By far the most natural full forward in hurling.

At this moment in time it has to be Seamie Callinan surely? And Tj Reid ahead of Power as well.

unrealtime wrote: »

Agreed, I havbe to admit I had more or less wrote him off as a spent force but he re-invented himself in the latter stages of this years championship and played a huge role, an understaed role but huge no the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

danganabu wrote: »
    At this moment in time it has to be Seamie Callinan surely? And Tj Reid ahead of Power as well.

I'd agree with that assessment. Callinan has been unstoppable this year of course, but ploughing a lonely furrow right now. Although tj AND power is always better than tj OR power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

Rackard Cody and Jackie Tyrell interview from Ireland AM this morning

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/809/100033/0/Ireland-AM

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

deadybai wrote: »
    Rackard Cody and Jackie Tyrell interview from Ireland AM this morning

http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/809/100033/0/Ireland-AM

Rackard on a morning television show.
    Mother of God.
    I've seen it all now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Any news on KK management teams for 2016?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

Emeralds gone down to Junior I see. Big blow to the Parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭mullinr2

Just a thought on Richie Power. Anyone else think that we haven't seen the best of Richie Power, through no fault of his own. Injuries have robbed him of what is supposed to be his prime years. He is in my opinion as good as TJ and Richie Hogan but has not got the same plaudits.
    You could probably say the same for Mick Rice, John Tennyson and Cha. V good players who could have been great.
    Any opinions.

Emeralds gone down to Junior I see. Big blow to the Parish.

Thought Dunnamaggan were just that bit better on the day, Canice Hickey scored a number of long range frees. Good quality game in a very competitive Intermediate championship results. Impressed by Michael Cody, No. 15 for Dunnamaggan, Conor Martin and Noel Hickey. I expect Emeralds to make a good push to get back up again. It was only a couple of years since they were in the Intermediate Final

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Anyone know if its possible to get KCLR on internet in UK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Brian017

pat 22 wrote: »
    Anyone know if its possible to get KCLR on internet in UK ?

Yes you can. Or if you have a smartphone you can download the TuneIn or RadioPlayer apps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

I think michael coady was corner back for this year's minor his a good hurler, bad day for the two southern teams today.the first one was over at half time while ballyhale can have no complaints.i think every kk supporter will be happy that tj and company will get a well earned rest this winter

Pretty amazing to hear ballyhale are out. It's definitely for the best from a county point of view. Also makes for a very interesting final.

• Advertisement

Pretty amazing to hear ballyhale are out. It's definitely for the best from a county point of view. Also makes for a very interesting final.

Ballyhale looked like a team that were on the road too long, the winter break will do them good. Mark Bergin was good for O'Loughlins but I think Clara will have the strength in depth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭MfMan

What were the results?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

MfMan wrote: »
    What were the results?

O’Loughlin Gaels 2-15 Ballyhale Shamrocks 2-13

Clara 1-23 Mullinavat 0-14

Report, lineups, and scorers here on the42.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

The first game was a total mismatch, it actually took from the second game as I think most of the crowd were in a stupor by the end of it. Mullinavat were hopeless.

Second game was a bit more lively, but in truth it never really got going. Ballyhale fluffed three clear goal chances in the first half and ultimately that cost them. Their management had a lot to answer for too, endless positional switches and a lack of clear direction in their play. O'Loughlins were a lot more settled, and they hurled well generally. Took some nice scores and Martin Comerford turned back the clock with his best display in a long time.

The final is a hard one to call, Clara are certainly the better hurling team but that doesn't always count in finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭brookville

It looked like vat froze on the day which can happen, they have being competitive all year and took out the rower and carrickshock on route, hopefully this will stand to them.mark mansfield seems to have improved as the year progressed, wasn't great with the u21 but wouldn't be surprised to see him call into the extended panel early next year

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Two disappointing county hurling semi-finals (this seems to be a trend in KK...?).

First game was a mismatch. Notable only for the shooting accuracy of Clara in general, very impressive.

Second game had a helter skelter finish but that masked a limp match overall with Ballyhale's effort, or lack of, very strange. Clearly they have huge ability, a missed goal chance in the first half was the result of an outstandingly worked move up the field. For all that talent they clearly lack drive and hunger at times. Loughlin's, less talented, but they wanted it yesterday and that won out as it usually does.

County Final should be set fair nicely for a good tussle. Loughlin's will try their usual mix of on-the-edge stuff at the back and lively forward play pitted against Clara's overall strength from 1-15, all good hurlers. Hope all who attend get a good game, as after yesterday i won't be forking out another €15 to be bored for 3 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Deathwish4 wrote: »

County Final should be set fair nicely for a good tussle. Loughlin's will try their usual mix of on-the-edge stuff at the back and lively forward play pitted against Clara's overall strength from 1-15, all good hurlers. Hope all who attend get a good game, as after yesterday i won't be forking out another €15 to be bored for 3 hours.

You might as well chance it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

You might as well chance it ?

Sure it might be on the telly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭robwen

blackcard wrote: »
    I am told that Richie Power announced in the dressing room before the match that it would be his last game of hurling ever. Sad if this were true, has been a great servant to Carrickshock and Kilkenny. The effort he made the last two years to get fit despite injuries was monumental and vital to Kilkenny's cause. He owes us nothing.

I don`t know where this came from but it definitely did not happen

• Advertisement

robwen wrote: »
    I don`t know where this came from but it definitely did not happen

Seemed like a really odd time to mention a decision like that alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement