Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

What happened him?

He was struck, somewhere around the eye, before the ball was thrown in, resulting in a red card for a Glenmore player.

Can't comment any further as I wasn't at the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

He was struck, somewhere around the eye, before the ball was thrown in, resulting in a red card for a Glenmore player.

Can't comment any further as I wasn't at the match.

Jesus, that's disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

bit of a scuffle and then a piledriver of a right hook smashed in high on Luke's face. The GAA need to do something more about those type of incidents.

I could add that the helmet might have aggravated the effect of the fierce punch as the eye appeared to be hit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭big_drive

Sounds horrendous. The day for that carry on in our games is gone. There was a time you'd nearly be a hero for sorting out an opposition player but now thankfully it's just seen as disgusting by everyone including teammates

Not taking away from the injury but wonder was it a modified helmet. I've seen a couple of bad injuries this year and all involved were using helmets that had face guards altered/adjusted. In one case the helmet actually caused a badly broken nose as it increased the impact. It was an old cooper with a fairly battered face guard on it. A proper helmet and guard such as a Mycro would have had the bars back enough that they wouldn't have crushed the nose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Statement from Kilmacow posted on their Facebook page

As Chairperson of Kilmacow Hurling and Football Club I would like to extend my appreciation to our management,players,club officials and supporters in how they conducted themselves yesterday following the horrendous injury suffered by Luke. It naturally rocked us but it is great credit to everyone that we battled back manfully on the field of play. We may have lost the match but that is all we lost. We still retain our pride in our jersey, our parish and most importantly our Clubs ethos of how to play the game. Thank you to the pitchside medics,our own physios,St Lukes and Waterford University Hospital for the great care they afforded Luke. Thankfully the injury, although serious, is not as bad as initially feared and we look forward to seeing Luke back in the Green and White in the not too distant future. Thanks also to the many Clubs who contacted both myself and other Committee members to send their best wishes to Luke.
    Is Mise,
    Micheal Atkins.
    Cathaoirleach
    Cill Mhic Bhuith CLG.

I think that bit is a little gratuitous tbf. You can't legislate for the actions of individuals in a team sport. What happens when a Kilmacow player goes out and belts an opponent? Who knows why this happened? I very much doubt if it was premeditated. Glenmore are not a dirty team. They were overwhelming favourites. A man down they were still by far the better team and but for a high wide count would have won comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I heard the Garda are investigating the Luke Harney incident and there may be charges whether anyone involved wants it to proceed or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

citykat wrote: »
    I think that bit is a little gratuitous tbf. You can't legislate for the actions of individuals in a team sport. What happens when a Kilmacow player goes out and belts an opponent? Who knows why this happened? I very much doubt if it was premeditated. Glenmore are not a dirty team. They were overwhelming favourites. A man down they were still by far the better team and but for a high wide count would have won comfortably.

Arguably, you're being a bit gratuitous yourself there.

Who knows, but who cares why it happened ? Who cares if it was premeditated ?

If it is as is being portrayed here, is it much more complicated than right and wrong ?

Maybe you can't legislate for individuals in a team sport, but it doesn't absolve team members from their responsibility to the club/team-mates/opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭brookville

http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/246204?county=National
    so brian coady to be ratified monday week for another year and jackie hinting he'll continue for another year with eoin larkin already confirming his giving it another go next year it's positive news for kk.
    congrats to clara last week probably slightly better on the day without being fantastic, it has to be said well done to tom mullally managing two teams in the one day to win county finals, he has won county finals in wexford and guided mount lenster to the club all Ireland aswell as two with clara and glenmore hopefully he will be giving a job with a kk team in the future...anyone know is pat hoban staying with the minors or who's the front runner for the u21 job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭robwen

KILKENNY’S JACKIE TYRRELL has indicated that he wishes to play for the All-Ireland senior hurling champions again in 2016 – if selected.
    Tyrrell, 33, was ruled out of the All-Ireland semi-final and final with a foot injury but told Martin King and Lucy Kennedy on TV’s The Seven O’Clock Show that he is recovering well and has more to give in the black and amber.
    “The foot is good; the screw is still in it at the moment,” said the 9-time All-Ireland SHC medallist.
    “I recently got good news from the consultant so, things are good with my foot and I’m feeling fresh so if management feel that I have a role to play next year, then I’m very much up to the challenge and I’d love it again.
    “You’re constantly looking for the next challenge. It’s one of those things, I’d love to go back and get another go but it’s not all in my hands.
    “Brian Cody and the management team are probably looking at plans for next year so hopefully I’m in their thoughts and if I am, I’ll be looking to go back.”
    Tyrrell’s rousing half-time speech in the All-Ireland final was referenced in the aftermath of the victory over Galway.
    The James Stephens man was a helpless onlooker but played his part in the dressing room at the break.
    “I suppose when you’re there a while, you get that bit older and have that experience and you do try to look out for the lads.
    “It’s not a role that you go ‘I’m going to do this’ you just fall into it and look out for the guys and pass on anything that you’ve learned and they could use. If I can help the lads, I’ll gladly do it.”
    Tyrrell also offered his views on former Cork goalkeeper Donal Óg Cusack’s new role with the Clare senior hurlers.
    “Yeah everyone was surprised. Donal Óg is an iconic figure in the GAA world, he’s a hugely, deep thinking hurling guy.

“So it’s just the dynamic of how himself and Davy Fitz will get on. If they could blend and get on for the sake of Clare hurling then it could be a great move for him because Donal Óg will bring a wealth of experience and professionalism to that set up and he’ll probably think outside the box which Clare probably lacked.
    “You know when they had their sweeper system and that became unstuck, they had no real plan B so Donal would think all that out and if the different scenarios come up, what way would they come around different teams.
    “He lives and breathes hurling. I think if he and Davy Fitz can get the dynamic right, it could be a great thing for Clare because they have serious talent down there.”

http://www.the42.ie/jackie-tyrrell-kilkenny-2016-2417780-Oct2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

brookville wrote: »
    so brian coady to be ratified monday week for another year and jackie hinting he'll continue for another year with eoin larkin already confirming his giving it another go next year it's positive news for kk.
    congrats to clara last week probably slightly better on the day without being fantastic, it has to be said well done to tom mullally managing two teams in the one day to win county finals, he has won county finals in wexford and guided mount lenster to the club all Ireland aswell as two with clara and glenmore hopefully he will be giving a job with a kk team in the future...anyone know is pat hoban staying with the minors or who's the front runner for the u21 job?

Mullally was only a selector for Clara, Mick Purcell was manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Isn't Martin Fogarty the 21's manager for 2016?

From talking to clara people mullally seems to be the brain's behind the operation either way he has brilliant record...I know martin fogarty was with comer this year I hadn't heard he was in the running for the u 21 job altho I'd welcome someone with his experience

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

Tom Mullally was KK Minor coach when Adrian Ronan was manager in 2012.

U21 managers 2003 - 2015

Martin Fogarty 2003 AI Champions, 2004 AI Champions
    Adrian Finan 2005 AI Runners Up 2006 AI Champions
    Jim Neary 2007
    Michael Walsh 2008 AI Champions, 2009 AI Runners Up, 2010,2011
    Richie Mulrooney 2012 AI Runners Up, 2013
    Brian Ryan 2014,2015

Minor Managers 2002 -2015
    Nicky Cashin 2002 AI Champions
    Br. Damien 2003 AI Champions, 2004 AI Runners Up,2005,2006
    John McCormack 2007
    Richie Mulrooney 2008 AI Champions, 2009 AI Runners Up, 2010 AI Champions
    Adrian Ronan 2011,2012
    Pat Hoban 2013, 2014 AI Champions, 2015

Think Pat Hoban is staying on and perhaps Martin Fogarty at U21

Tom Mullally was KK Minor coach when Adrian Ronan was manager in 2012

Yea that's correct he has a great record at club level especially since then, few teams naming their provisional squads for next year,kk will probably gather a provisional squad together next month for the walsh cup, who has impressed people at club level?hopefully our three club teams go on a run and I expect glenmore and the bridge to go all the way while clara will be determined to give leinster a good rattle although there on the harder side

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭northern lad

I thought the following players, outside the panel, did very well in the senior club championship... Sean O Shea (Clara), Liam Ryan (Clara), Danny Loughnane (O'Loughlins), Conor Delaney (Erins Own), Michael Malone (Mullinavat), Conor Tobin (Fenians)

I thought the following players, outside the panel, did very well in the senior club championship... Sean O Shea (Clara), Liam Ryan (Clara), Danny Loughnane (O'Loughlins), Conor Delaney (Erins Own), Michael Malone (Mullinavat), Conor Tobin (Fenians)

Conor tobin was in with the seniors a few years ago, liam ryan played walsh cup last year , michael malone and delaney have being good, evan coady and mark mansfield both being good, I've heard michael walsh from young Irelands has a knee injury which will rule him out for a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

O'Shea and Ryan are both fine hurlers, Loughnane wouldn't be within a million miles of a senior county panel though.

Sean o'shea has had a tough year with injuries while liam ryan can be to inconsistent, he had a great first half last sunday.i wonder will coady try conor o'shea in the forwards?I think we're in good position going into 2016 barring injuries, probably need to bed in a long term number 4.the rest to the ballyhale players along with a few others will be no harm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

Anyone from the Intermediate Championship pushing for a place on the kk panel?

From what I seen geoff brennan and bill staunton from ballyragget,sean morrissey from bbridge, liam hickey and James meagher from freshford, sean keough from young Ireland,in junior johnny hayes from kilmacow, cathal english barrow rangers all have being good at club level probably not up to the required standard for senior but if the intermediate grade was taken more serious and used as a u25 development squad these players could improve

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

From what I seen geoff brennan and bill staunton from ballyragget,sean morrissey from bbridge, liam hickey and James meagher from freshford, sean keough from young Ireland,in junior johnny hayes from kilmacow, cathal english barrow rangers all have being good at club level probably not up to the required standard for senior but if the intermediate grade was taken more serious and used as a u25 development squad these players could improve

Liam Blanchfield must be in consideration?

Liam is certainly one with potential and was a very good minor last year along with john walsh and luke scanlon but the players I was suggesting are probably more low profile

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I think Kilkenny are in a good place. As someone stated earlier, the rest will do the Ballyhale lads the world of good. With Jackie adding his experience to the squad, that'll be a bonus also. He should also be fresh.

I wouldn't fear anyone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

With the spectacle of hurling in the Park today Kilkenny Hurling is certainly in a good place. Congratulations to John Lockes and Dicksboro in the minor B and A championship finals,and commiserations to Dunamaggin and O'Loughlins.

Johnny Hayes looks really good. He reminds me a little of Pat Delaney another who toiled away in junior ranks for years before being recognised.

Johnny was probably the player on view at the junior final, himself and the glenmore corner back were very good, he probably is a bit one paced but he has very good wrists, be well worth a look at

Kk with 7 all stars, galway with 4, Waterford with three and tipp with one, happy enough with that it's the first time in a few years kk have more than the runners up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Kk with 7 all stars, galway with 4, Waterford with three and tipp with one, happy enough with that it's the first time in a few years kk have more than the runners up

Conor Fogarty is a little unfortunate but Burke and Fennelly probably just about deserved the nod at midfield. Thought Eoin Larkin had a strong case but really was just a toss up between himself and Alyward in the corner.

But i guess if a county can have a gripe it would have to be Tipp, one award compared to three for Waterford, a team they beat comfortably in the Munster final.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement