Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Local_Chap

Anyone know when the draw for the Junior and Intermediate club championships are being made? I thought it would of been Monday night but nothing up on the website at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I saw Bubbles going into Supervalue in Borrisokane last night and his arm was in a sling.

Now someone is being a silly billy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I saw Bubbles going into Supervalue in Borrisokane last night and his arm was in a sling.

What was he buying? I assume you informed him there is much better value to be had in your local German discount superstore of choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Hitchens

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/tipperary-preparations-hit-by-injuries-to-mahers-286977.html

It could be them, but everyone in Tipp is called Maher, so it might or might not be them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

Him and Callinan probably have sore backs as well from carrying ye all year 😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,841 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

You know times are changing when Kilkenny fans are hoping that opposition players are injured before a game.

Did you not read my other post, no? I specifically said I hope they play. Don't like tipp having handy excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Him and Callinan probably have sore backs as well from carrying ye all year 😉

Richie Hogan must be about ready to break in half so :-)

According to Paul Collins on Today FM this morning.

Ah, thats ok so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The one thing I've noticed is that Tipp fans have become a lot more confident and sure of themselves since the replay and I get the feeling they think they just have to turn up and do the same again and they'll beat us. However Kilkenny fans are all concerned with the need for improvement and change in order to get over the line. Now I'm sure the Tipp panel don't see it in such simple terms but the question has to be asked what can they do different if they don't get goals the next day? They have a very effective manner of playing they keep it relatively tight at the back and create space up front with lots of running. What if that space is not there the next day what is plan B for Tipp?

Kilkenny have to alter their style of play to win this one and thats good it gives us something to work towards this week and next. So if we come out and negate the space O'Shea tries to create and we stop the goals, what can or will they do? The way Tipp played the last day is the only way I can see them beating us but if we play in two banks of 3 in the backs and let the midfield and half forwards mark any extra forwards roaming out the field for long range points what can Tipp do? Without their space they will be in serious trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

The one thing I've noticed is that Tipp fans have become a lot more confident and sure of themselves since the replay and I get the feeling they think they just have to turn up and do the same again and they'll beat us. However Kilkenny fans are all concerned with the need for improvement and change in order to get over the line. Now I'm sure the Tipp panel don't see it in such simple terms but the question has to be asked what can they do different if they don't get goals the next day? They have a very effective manner of playing they keep it relatively tight at the back and create space up front with lots of running. What if that space is not there the next day what is plan B for Tipp?

Kilkenny have to alter their style of play to win this one and thats good it gives us something to work towards this week and next. So if we come out and negate the space O'Shea tries to create and we stop the goals, what can or will they do? The way Tipp played the last day is the only way I can see them beating us but if we play in two banks of 3 in the backs and let the midfield and half forwards mark any extra forwards roaming out the field for long range points what can Tipp do? Without their space they will be in serious trouble.

So you feel all Tipp fans are over confident and then proceed to tell us all Kilkenny fans are less so before finishing with "how can Tipp beat us". You couldn't make it up.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

dcrosskid wrote: »
    So you feel all Tipp fans are over confident and then proceed to tell us all Kilkenny fans are less so before finishing with "how can Tipp beat us". You couldn't make it up.:pac:

what about it dont you grasp ?
    Its probably one of the the least "we're better than yee" posts on here .
    Cocky Tipp fans trolling .....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Not concede poor goals. Paddy Stapleton had a decent game all round, but was caught badly by Power for 2 goals. I would fancy us to out-point Kilkenny again, so if we don't concede more goals than we score I think we have a great chance.
    As a Tipp fan myself I am certainly not over-confident, nor do I see any reason for either team to be. I expect that Kilkenny may play a sweeper the next day to deny the Tipp forwards space. This of course would result in Tipp having an extra man in their defence also, but I would imagine Kilkenny would be confident of having the better "hard or high" ball winners in their forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

As I said way back, Eamonn O'Shea is sitting back with the feet up, he knows his starting 15. Heading into October and Brian Cody still hasn't a notion which 15 to send out.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Are the clubs geting there tickets on Friday ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

As I said way back, Eamonn O'Shea is sitting back with the feet up, he knows his starting 15. Heading into October and Brian Cody still hasn't a notion which 15 to send out.

He hasn't done too bad so far Walsh Cup, League and Provincial champions! Remind me what Eamonn O'Shea has won?!

You say it like it's a bad thing? How is it bad to have players making the starting fifteen difficult to choose? If there's no competition fir places that's the beginning of the rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭oconnol1

Are the training sessions closed for Kilkenny ATM.

So you feel all Tipp fans are over confident
    No I didn't say over confident I said they're more confident I'm talking about the ones I know and have met which is quite a few every day in Kilkenny.
    then proceed to tell us all Kilkenny fans are less so
    Correct most Kilkenny people I know are less confident after seeing the display the last day and know it need's improvement.
    before finishing with "how can Tipp beat us".
    If we close down the space and there is no guarantee that Cody will do that but if he does close the space and you can't get goals what other way can you play the game? In a physical tight game your lads don't like it although they've shown a lot more character than I or many Tipp people gave them credit for.
    You couldn't make it up.:pac:
    You pretty much did. Read more carefully next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭randd1

I'd imagine O'Sheas a bit more worried than Cody is seeing as he got everything out of his players, they were the better side pretty much the entire game, scored 29 times with only 3 wides, dominated midfield and in their HB line, and still didn't beat a Kilkenny side that you could say 6 players did not play that good at all.

Cody knows Kilkenny can improve, I'm not sure Tipp can though, that was easily Tipps best performance since 2010, yet they still couldn't beat Kilkenny.

Yes but my question is what if plan A fails. Do Tipp have plan B? Personally I don't think they can play effectively enough any other way that could beat Kilkenny. If it gets tight and physical would you think the Tipp forwards would score the same?

• Advertisement

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Are the training sessions closed for Kilkenny ATM.

Yep a few sessions may be open next week as per usual but their a send off rather than a proper session.

randd1 wrote: »
    I'd imagine O'Sheas a bit more worried than Cody is seeing as he got everything out of his players, they were the better side pretty much the entire game, scored 29 times with only 3 wides, dominated midfield and in their HB line, and still didn't beat a Kilkenny side that you could say 6 players did not play that good at all.

Cody knows Kilkenny can improve, I'm not sure Tipp can though, that was easily Tipps best performance since 2010, yet they still couldn't beat Kilkenny.

The only thing about about that is that Kilkennys marquee players by a mile this year, Reid and Hogan both played well, spectacularly so in Hogan's case, Larkin got through his usual work load also. Also Richie Power was excellent. Might be more to come from the two Fennellys, but also maybe not. Colin Fennelly can be quite inconsistent so much so he was actually dropped in 2012 after being cleaned out by Coen. Walter Walsh is unlikely to start and I think it would be fair to say a slight improvement at the very least would be expected here although Barrett has not been anywhere second best to any forward this year.

Paul Murphy, JJ and Tyrell were probably as good as they could have been, Murphy in goal also, Buckley too. Can't see Hogan or Holden improving that much, will probably take a change of personnel here to see any improvement.

oconnol1 wrote: »
    Are the clubs geting there tickets on Friday ?.

I think the Boro are getting there's this weekend they took orders last weekend. Giving them out Monday or Tuesday each club will be different though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭dcrosskid

No I didn't say over confident I said they're more confident I'm talking about the ones I know and have met which is quite a few every day in Kilkenny.

Correct most Kilkenny people I know are less confident after seeing the display the last day and know it need's improvement.

If we close down the space and there is no guarantee that Cody will do that but if he does close the space and you can't get goals what other way can you play the game? In a physical tight game your lads don't like it although they've shown a lot more character than I or many Tipp people gave them credit for.

You pretty much did. Read more carefully next time!

This thread is littered with the same argument about Tipp having less room to improve. Paddy Saint, Brendan Maher, James Barry, Darren Gleeson, Gar Ryan all have more in them and collectively Tipp can improve on the goal chances. Not to mention we can definitely aim to curb Richie Hogans and TJ Reids influence. I also think we can make better substitutions than the last day with Denis Maher instead of Kelly and Niall O Meara back from injury. Cahill could come in from the start which can only be a positive for Tipp.

Saying ye will close down the space and actually closing down the space is a lot easier said than done. Croke Park seems to suit our style of play and our forwards seem to thrive there. How do you suggest KK will close down the space? I imagine pulling an extra man back is the obvious solution but this takes from the kk forward line and I think would suit us more if anything giving us a chance to shoot from distance which we seem capable of and also ensuring we have an extra man in defense which you would think would stop the KK goal chances being created.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

it is a fallacy to say Tipp were the better side for pretty much the entire game. Fact is that for 40 minutes in the middle we scored 3-11 to Tipp's 10 points and Power should have tapped over for 3-12.

Tipp started the game very well and finished it with a huge number of points in the last 10 minutes or so. At that time we really should have closed the game out but our forwards had lost their legs and found it hard to compete for ball and our backs made bad defensive errors. A similar performance the next day with a bit more puff, one or two changes and a different ref, should do it for us.

This thread is littered with the same argument about Tipp having less room to improve. Paddy Saint, Brendan Maher, James Barry, Darren Gleeson, Gar Ryan all have more in them and collectively Tipp can improve on the goal chances. Not to mention we can definitely aim to curb Richie Hogans and TJ Reids influence. I also think we can make better substitutions than the last day with Denis Maher instead of Kelly and Niall O Meara back from injury. Cahill could come in from the start which can only be a positive for Tipp.

Saying ye will close down the space and actually closing down the space is a lot easier said than done. Croke Park seems to suit our style of play and our forwards seem to thrive there. How do you suggest KK will close down the space? I imagine pulling an extra man back is the obvious solution but this takes from the kk forward line and I think would suit us more if anything giving us a chance to shoot from distance which we seem capable of and also ensuring we have an extra man in defense which you would think would stop the KK goal chances being created.

Thank you for actually coming up with cohesive argument, a fine post btw.

On your points:

Paddy Stapleton or Saint as ye like to call him actually hurled quite well and was very effective, if lucky not to have seen the line or at least been penalised more. He played very close to the line and over it on many occasions. If he can hurl rather foul I don't think there is a whole lot more improvement in him.

Brendan Maher was by and away Tipps poorest performer, thankfully for us. He was anonymous most of the day and only had 5 possessions if memory of my stats serves me right and actually had fairly mediocre use of the limited ball he had. So there is lots of room for improvement there, no doubt at all.

James Barry played a great game for ye even if we did get 3 goals. It would have been a lot more without him. He didn't dominate the box completely but I don't think he's that type of player. I don't see how he can play much better making 3 blocks for certain Kilkenny scores.

Darren Gleeson again was very solid I thought. There was very little blame to be apportioned to him for any of the 3 goals maybe the first 1 but he tried to do everything right, Power just got there first. There was only 2 issues I'd have with his performance. 1st while he delivered great puck outs all day, two went out for sidelines to Kilkenny. 2nd he was very lucky to get away with his tackle on Larkin but if it was a reverse situation I'd want to see Murphy do the same and hopefully get away with it too.

Gearoid Ryan while far from spectacular contributed more than I thought he had but he was in against Buckley for most of the day and did well enough. I do however agree there is scope for improvement from him.

Micky Cahill has to start for ye in my opinion but who looses out Brendan Maher the captain? Unlikely unless the injury proves worse than feared. The lads in midfield were very strong as well. If everyone is fit I think Cahill will be picked on the bench but he's a brilliant option to bring in, like the last day.

Like you said I wouldn't let Eoin Kelly within an asses roar of the white lines in Croke park.

It's not easy to close the space as O'Shea works it very well. I feel we need to have 2 banks of 3, with the half backs not straying much beyond the 45 yard line. The midfield and half forwards will need to cover any of your lads roaming out for long shots but our back 6 can't chase ye around again. Ye kept it tight at the back most of the time and we need to do like wise if we do it'll be a very different game because you'll have two defences on top and it'll be much more like our game against Limerick.

My question is not weather Tipp can improve, I agree they can. I might not agree to the extent but they definitely can and most likely will. My question is how will they react if they're faced with a different type of game can they adapt? We know Kilkenny can play open and loose and hard and tight. Tipp can definitely play open and loose and are brilliant at it but can they play hard and tight? All commentators agreed if Kilkenny made it a battle they'd win. They didn't play that way they followed ye're lads all over the field. If we do that again I think ye will win being honest but if it's tight we should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ozzyo

I have 2 tickets to the hurling replay that I want to swap for football tickets, anyone know of any clubs that would want to swap?

I've created this map and posted it on Kilkennycats.com as segments of a few clubs at a time. Here is the full map of the clubs in the county.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z7KQie8OKWxU.kHw1Gk66OlwI

If anyone spots anywhere I'm wrong please let me know and I'll rectify.

I've created this map and posted it on Kilkennycats.com as segments of a few clubs at a time. Here is the full map of the clubs in the county.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z7KQie8OKWxU.kHw1Gk66OlwI

If anyone spots anywhere I'm wrong please let me know and I'll rectify.

Jaysus, Kilkennycats and these maps! that takes me back lad! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

Jaysus, Kilkennycats and these maps! that takes me back lad! Thanks

Ha! Just thinking the same thing. I think I put in my tuppence worth a few years ago!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement