Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭clashoftheash

well someone said earlier that they has seen him in a supermarket last night and he looked right as rain....I guess time will tell. Massive loss if it is true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I saw this online I think it's a great piece of writing and would make you want to be back there now, roll on the 27th.
    Last weekend a group of 12 international writers arrived in Ireland to experience first-hand our unique home-grown sports through a trip around the country culminating in Sunday’s All-Ireland Hurling final between Kilkenny and Tipperary.

The tour, organised by Fáilte Ireland in conjunction with Tourism Ireland sought to immerse the journalists in the unique aspects of Irish life. The overseas media were from the UK, Denmark, Germany, Brazil, New Zealand, Canada and India.

One of the journalists, Chris van Ryn from New Zealand, wrote an article on his impression of the match.

A View from the Sideline – The All Ireland Hurling Finals 

by Chris van Ryn

An arm extends high into the air. Forearm muscles crease with tension, a white-knuckled fist grips the end of a curved pale stick. Thigh muscles ripple like the powerful flank of a running horse as studded boots leave the earth.

A single player ascends towards a white ball which arcs high from the other side of the field, cutting through the air with razor blade sharpness. 82,600 heads rise in unison … and fall, following the trajectory of the sliotar as it hurtles towards the player. Seconds later he is intercepted by a furious swarm. There is an almighty thunder from the crowd as hurleys and players collide.

This, then, is the legendary “clash of the ash” – a demonstration of the most powerful release of sporting energy I have ever seen.

The spectators’ roar of approval is a wave of sound that reverberates around the vast arena. It reaches my ears where I am at the edge of the field, crouching behind the goal. I am a New Zealand photographer on a press trip. And this is my first game of hurling.

Before me 30 athletes move across a lawn three times the size of a football field, like a wave upon the ocean. I watch spellbound as the Cats dominate the first half of the game. And then I watch the Tips reach deep inside themselves as they fight for territory and reclaim their ground, in a spectacular second half.

The shrill warble of the whistle brings the game to an end. The players seem deflated, unhinged by a state of neither victory nor defeat. We are not afforded the luxury of a defining game.

The players seem to me like artists. They deliver skill, blinding speed and physical prowess in a sport which calls for each player to draw upon his own unique pool of energy. And they deliver a visceral demonstration, epitomizing the peak of human physical – and spiritual – achievement that is awe inspiring. This is all the more incredible in a sport played by amateurs. Yet, perhaps their exceptional capacity is precisely because they are amateurs. An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy.

Earlier in the week at a meeting with the GAA I had been the recipient of passionate speeches about what makes hurling special. I heard about the struggles of the Irish: the repression, the famine, the fight for independence. And I heard about the unashamed territorial sporting behaviour of county versus county.

Through my lens I saw before me a sport which has come from the forge of life’s journey, the players harnessing all of history’s emotions in play on the field. It is as if each player is imbued with centuries of the emotional ebb and flow of Ireland.

I had heard about the players prior to attending the game. I saw them in action. But nothing prepared me for the crowd. When the tidal wave of sound reached me it resonated with meaning. I heard that each and every one of them was down on the field playing alongside the teams. They pursued the silotar. 82,600 sets of hands swung the hurley. And in the sound of the crowd I heard the pride of the fighting Irish.

The players rose up and mingled with the audience. This was a symbiotic relationship. County against county, yet a single voice, a unified Ireland. I saw the true spirit of sport played out before me. Long may it last.

Just on Paul Murphy again. I saw him Monday in Loughboy, he was fine. I ran into someone who was at training Sunday and he said two were rested I'm not saying on here which two but everyone else trained and no one was injured. Murphy was not one of the two rested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Great article tbiggertycome. Where was that printed if you don't mind me asking?

dirtyden wrote: »
    Great article tbiggertycome. Where was that printed if you don't mind me asking?

I found it on Balls.ie Twitter feed and followed the link through I didn't take note of the website sorry.

Edit: Found the link but I can't post it so I'll take out the slashes here. I haven't posted enough yet.

http: hotelandrestauranttimes.ie new-zealand-journalist-pens-ireland-hurling-finals-article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Here is th earticle

Last weekend a group of 12 international writers arrived in Ireland to experience first-hand our unique home-grown sports through a trip around the country culminating in Sunday’s All-Ireland Hurling final between Kilkenny and Tipperary.

The tour, organised by Fáilte Ireland in conjunction with Tourism Ireland sought to immerse the journalists in the unique aspects of Irish life. The overseas media were from the UK, Denmark, Germany, Brazil, New Zealand, Canada and India, experienced a visit to the Laytown beach races; a visit to the Michael Cusack Centre at Carron, Co Clare, a training session in County Clare to master the skills of hurley, a visit to Dunboyne Football club for a masterclass in Gaelic Football; finishing with a tour of Croke Park followed by attendance at the All-Ireland hurling Final.

One of the journalists, Chris van Ryn from New Zealand, wrote an article on his impression of the match.

A View from the Sideline – The All Ireland Hurling Finals

by Chris van Ryn

An arm extends high into the air. Forearm muscles crease with tension, a white-knuckled fist grips the end of a curved pale stick. Thigh muscles ripple like the powerful flank of a running horse as studded boots leave the earth.

A single player ascends towards a white ball which arcs high from the other side of the field, cutting through the air with razor blade sharpness. 82,600 heads rise in unison … and fall, following the trajectory of the sliotar as it hurtles towards the player. Seconds later he is intercepted by a furious swarm. There is an almighty thunder from the crowd as hurleys and players collide.

This, then, is the legendary “clash of the ash” – a demonstration of the most powerful release of sporting energy I have ever seen.

The spectators’ roar of approval is a wave of sound that reverberates around the vast arena. It reaches my ears where I am at the edge of the field, crouching behind the goal. I am a New Zealand photographer on a press trip. And this is my first game of hurling.

Before me 30 athletes move across a lawn three times the size of a football field, like a wave upon the ocean. I watch spellbound as the Cats dominate the first half of the game. And then I watch the Tips reach deep inside themselves as they fight for territory and reclaim their ground, in a spectacular second half.

The shrill warble of the whistle brings the game to an end. The players seem deflated, unhinged by a state of neither victory nor defeat. We are not afforded the luxury of a defining game.

The players seem to me like artists. They deliver skill, blinding speed and physical prowess in a sport which calls for each player to draw upon his own unique pool of energy. And they deliver a visceral demonstration, epitomizing the peak of human physical – and spiritual – achievement that is awe inspiring. This is all the more incredible in a sport played by amateurs. Yet, perhaps their exceptional capacity is precisely because they are amateurs. An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy.

Earlier in the week at a meeting with the GAA I had been the recipient of passionate speeches about what makes hurling special. I heard about the struggles of the Irish: the repression, the famine, the fight for independence. And I heard about the unashamed territorial sporting behaviour of county versus county.

Through my lens I saw before me a sport which has come from the forge of life’s journey, the players harnessing all of history’s emotions in play on the field. It is as if each player is imbued with centuries of the emotional ebb and flow of Ireland.

I had heard about the players prior to attending the game. I saw them in action. But nothing prepared me for the crowd. When the tidal wave of sound reached me it resonated with meaning. I heard that each and every one of them was down on the field playing alongside the teams. They pursued the silotar. 82,600 sets of hands swung the hurley. And in the sound of the crowd I heard the pride of the fighting Irish.

The players rose up and mingled with the audience. This was a symbiotic relationship. County against county, yet a single voice, a unified Ireland. I saw the true spirit of sport played out before me. Long may it last.
    BOOKMARK THE permalink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

robbiezero wrote: »
    Really?
    Have watched it back loads of times, a very clear charge with the ball, he could have given play on at that stage and most ref's would have, but I don't think the decision was incorrect.

If it had not been say Paddy Stapleton or Cathal Barret, Hogan would have flattened em and it would have been an absolute cast-iron free-out.

Robbie if you look at the run up to the second penalty Barrett runs head first in to Taggy on his fourteen yard line - result? He was allowed play on and got his pass away, leading to a clearance which fell to Lar resulting in a penalty at a crucial time. Much more of a charge than a man running straight who didn't even see the defender in front of him until the last second? A charge is a charge regardless of how big you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

Robbie if you look at the run up to the second penalty Barrett runs head first in to Taggy on his fourteen yard line - result? He was allowed play on and got his pass away, leading to a clearance which fell to Lar resulting in a penalty at a crucial time. Much more of a charge than a man running straight who didn't even see the defender in front of him until the last second? A charge is a charge regardless of how big you are!

Yes, I remember been annoyed at the time and then wondered if my initial thought was wrong. On watching it back I realised that I was indeed correct with my first instinct. Your summary above is spot on. Barrett charged and over carried. But as was already pointed out, over carrying doesn't appear to be blown anymore. We may learn from it.

By the way, was at the replay last year and thought the flood lights was an added factor to be considered on the day. Presume Cody will take account of it and the over carrying issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

well someone said earlier that they has seen him in a supermarket last night and he looked right as rain....I guess time will tell. Massive loss if it is true though.
    Its getting a bit like Lord Lucan at this stage. Whats the problem anyway,two weeks ago fellas were marvelling at the huge panel of players thar were available to Cody.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭KK4SAM

dirtyden wrote: »

Here's one source:

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2014/09/15/4032519-a-new-zealand-impression-of-hurling-final/

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Tommy played all his early hurling for KK at right-full and he was absolutely outstanding there. He got his first Allstar there. I would have no hesitation in putting him in there now - at Jackie's expense.

A right side of Tommy and Padraig would have a lot going for it and could extend Tommy's career for a few more years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Charlie69

unrealtime wrote: »
    Tommy played all his early hurling for KK at right-full and he was absolutely outstanding there. He got his first Allstar there. I would have no hesitation in putting him in there now - at Jackie's expense.

A right side of Tommy and Padraig would have a lot going for it and could extend Tommy's career for a few more years.
    Tommy actually started in midfield, played the 2003 final at LH forward, then went into the fullback line before eventually settling at number 5.

So you would move P Murphy out of The right corner?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Fwank wizzo

If I was OShea the 3 main areas I'd be looking to get at KK would be...

1.Keep the KK half back line out as far as they can and isolate Jackie&JJ.Play low fast out in front ball into their markers and get the 2 lads on the back foot.There are goals there.

2.Put a man marker on Richie Hogan.

3.Put Noel mcgrath between the midfield and the Tipp half back line and tell him to hit the aforementioned type of ball in to a proper 3 man full forward line.

A few other bits I observed in my pointless epic re-watching session (realdanbreen)

When it came to puck outs I only counted it as having been won by one side or the other when the first player had it in his hand. He could loose it a second latter but he had to have it in his hand for me to count it as a puck out won.

Tipp
    From the air
    Off the ground

Kilkenny
    From the air
    Off the ground

Kilkenny won 60% of puck outs with Tipp having 40%. So how did we end up having such close possession overall. Well we hit some aimless ball while in possession but also lost ball while soloing or in tackles which Tipp didn't, as they held onto the ball far better when they had it.

The biggest thing was Tipp had a 74% scoring conversion rate and Kilkenny had a 71% conversion rate. In scores just from play Tipp had a 78% shot conversion rate compared to Kilkennys 70% from play.

In most games I've taken stats at a 60% to 65% conversion rate of total scores will win you almost any game, and a 55% to 60% conversion rate from play will see you through. This is from both club and intercounty games it's not a scientific observation just a casual one. Also I've never seen a total conversion rate lower than the from play conversion rate. It just goes to show the unbelievable accuracy from the Tipp forwards. Can they reproduce it in two weeks? Well if we're to stand chance we need to apply more pressure to their forwards while their shooting. Callanan wasn't hooked blocked or tackled all day! Lar & N McGrath only once Bubbles & Bonnar were hooked blocked or tackled twice. Our defence needs to get closer another indication is we only fouled their forwards 4 times and we all said they would get the space Cork gave them (only one scorable free in semi final) we didn't close down the space enough in my opinion. Noel McGrath as I stated before had 23 possessions with a huge amount of good distribution we need to get tight on him and close down this supply, possibly a job for Buckley?

On the Kilkenny side we had 3 starting forwards that didn't get hooked blocked or tackled all day. Both R. Power and E. Larkin contributed a lot and both were fouled 2 and 3 times respectively, Larkin worked very hard, R. Power used his possession to set others up and often they didn't convert. I would like to see him go a bit for more himself. The other not to get dispossessed was Michael Fennelly who only had 9 possessions all day however he used 89% well. Walter and Colin were dispossessed once each but the guy who really needs to figure out whos around him is TJ he was tackled 4 times and dispossessed I don't think he was more closely watched than any of the others. The other one to take not of was Taggy who only possessed the ball 4 times but got blocked twice in 20 minutes. He was just too casual. The Kilkenny forwards got fouled 8 times which goes to show how tight the Tipp backs were on us. To score 3-22 with such little room was a fair feat from our lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Grats

More very interesting stats in last post. It was noticeable that our backs were standing off their opponents on the day. And your stats bear this out. Why was this from a team noted for close marking? Was it that Tipp had more pace? Was it that Tipp were allowed to over carry, as borne out from your previous post? Was it that our lads were a tad hesitant because of previous experiences with the ref? Well we gave a different ref for the replay and could very well have a different type game also.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Has anyone from Kilkenny with a GAA season ticket got good seats for the replay??
    So far I have only heard of people getting their tickets in section 302 and 309.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Lewi1995

1984baby wrote: »
    Has anyone from Kilkenny with a GAA season ticket got good seats for the replay??
    So far I have only heard of people getting their tickets in section 302 and 309.

Yes I got tickets yesterday . My tickets are for 309 . Anyone know why they have put season ticket holders in these areas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,840 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Lewi1995 wrote: »
    Yes I got tickets yesterday . My tickets are for 309 . Anyone know why they have put season ticket holders in these areas ?

I have a theory that I've been ranting about in the season ticket thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

So both Bonner (quad muscle) and Brendan (calf muscle) Maher both doubtful for the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭robbiezero

So both Bonner (quad muscle) and Brendan (calf muscle) Maher both doubtful for the replay.

Where did you see that they are doubtful for the replay?

robbiezero wrote: »
    Where did you see that they are doubtful for the replay?

According to Paul Collins on Today FM this morning.

• Advertisement

According to Paul Collins on Today FM this morning.

Would be terrible if they were out, to be honest, you want to see the best possible team out against you. Would severely dent the quality of the tipp team. Plus if Bonner and Paul Murphy were out then one of the highlights if the last day, their battle, won't be repeated. That would be a shame.

1984baby wrote: »

I got 306 for the replay. Have had season ticket/3 year pass for years and that is by far the best ticket i got. Usually it has been Davin stand.

Would be terrible if they were out, to be honest, you want to see the best possible team out against you. Would severely dent the quality of the tipp team. Plus if Bonner and Paul Murphy were out then one of the highlights if the last day, their battle, won't be repeated. That would be a shame.

F*** that s****, all i want is for us to win i couldn't care less who they have out on the pitch. And Bonner and Brendan Maher not being there improves our chances. Doubt they lost any sleep over Brian Hogan and Henry Shefflin in '10?! That's sport.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

This is all nonsense, Murphy and both Mahers are all going to line out, no question.

F*** that s****, all i want is for us to win i couldn't care less who they have out on the pitch. And Bonner and Brendan Maher not being there improves our chances. Doubt they lost any sleep over Brian Hogan and Henry Shefflin in '10?! That's sport.
    Well, we're seldom that ****ing lucky anyway.

I would expect both of them to start!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

You know times are changing when Kilkenny fans are hoping that opposition players are injured before a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

let the rumours and counter rumors begin .......
    Gwan Kilkenny !

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    let the rumours and counter rumors begin .......
    Gwan Kilkenny !

They are not rumours both of them are unable to train but are expected to play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I saw Bubbles going into Supervalue in Borrisokane last night and his arm was in a sling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement