Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tuesday night looks very interesting with potential for snow over a good portion of the country, my concern is marginality near the east coast! But i would expect snow on the ground on Wednesday morning for good few places!

UKM backing the snow-storm scenario

UW120-21.GIF?17-17

UW144-21.GIF?17-17

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

this could have been 1987 stuff if we were back in January! Ive a feeling Wicklow mountains could see record amounts of snow over the next week.

At least 2013 so far is looking a million times more interesting than 2012 ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Setting it out as a "Snow - Storm" is a bit sensational! More like Wintry Showers in a very unstable atmosphere! Higher Ground would hit the jackpot in terms of Snowfalls!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

pad199207 wrote: »
    Setting it out as a "Snow - Storm" is a bit sensational! More like Wintry Showers in a very unstable atmosphere! Higher Ground would hit the jackpot in terms of Snowfalls!

:)

With low pressure so close though Pad, it would increase the chances of frontal precip, and in this case a risk of snow,mostly on higher ground(can't see uppers for those times). Also winds would be very strong, so a snowstorm is very possible in the coming times! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Freezing here in KK. Inside at any rate. I'm just remembering a St Patrick's Day where everyone was wearing shorts here. It was quite soon after I moved here in '98. Is there any way I could track down what year it was? I've tried googling but coming up dry.

99 was a brilliant march as I remember it very well. I was in Tipperary and was wearing shorts and vest top on the 15th march.

ECM says no to the sliding low although the cold air may arc back eventually, the mild air gets over Ireland Thursday night.

ECM1-120.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

and the rollercoaster goes down again:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

I.love the snow, when there's no leaves on the trees and herbaceous plants are dormant it looks well and right.
    But this time of year it has that mutton dressed as lamb look...
    Nothing more wrong than seeing snow dripping and melting from a Hawthorne boreen in full flush :S

But it would be nice to see it all the same,but I just prefer it during the dormant season :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Just had a heavy graupel/soft hail shower that has left cars, roofs and grass coated white.

1.3c DP 0.8c atm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Same here in the city centre. Was on the way to work. Got completely saturated in 5 minutes... :mad:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a wintry forecast from ME (Siobhan Ryan) this morning both online and on the radio:

Tonight:
    There will be some well scattered wintry showers across the country, with a dusting of snow possible across parts of the north and east towards morning.

Tomorrow:
    Rather cloudy tomorrow Tuesday with scattered showers. A few of the showers will remain wintry in the north and east, with some snow accumulations possible on lower as well as higher levels here.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Trying its best to snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Trying its best to snow here.

Lovely big snow flakes falling now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

heavy sleet here this morning then rain. I think this will be more like what most of us will see over the next week, the snow will mainly be confined to high ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 laurahni

it's freezing today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snow risk over according to met eireann

pauldry wrote: »
    Snow risk over according to met eireann

I don't think so. Infact it is to get good bit colder in next 24hrs

850-1000hPa thickness this morning:

13031809_1806.gif

At 6am tomorrow
    13031906_1806.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met office have dropped their snow warning for NI tomorrow after amending it during the night to drop the western half of NI out of it. BBC NI weather twitter feed had just tweeted the snow warning picture and details only for the met office to drop it 10mins later makes the folks in Belfast look daft at no fault of their own. Poor communication between the pair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Probably another 1 or 2 (s)nowcasting events this week...unfortunately though the undercut doesn't look like happening later on in the week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Little bit of hail in Slieverue now, turning to rain now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

full on hail shower here for last 5mins or so and still going, driveway white!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭aurora 527

Currently 6.2c here in Waterford...but i think it is freezing, def feels colder than it did this time last wk when it was struggling to get past 2.0c..

Looks like parts of eastern Scotland are going to rob our easterly tomorrow with big amounts of snow forecast to pile in, a small low buckles over us advecting the coldest air to our north, so infact it is going to get colder tonight with snow risk but become a bit less cold Tuesday night/ Weds AM before perhaps another push of cold in from the east through Wednesday afternoon/evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met eireann put snow back on 2pm forecast sheesh

Make up minds

Why can't they have a probability map and amend it as they see fit

Like Leinster 40 percent
    Ulster 60 percent
    Connaught 20percent
    Munster nil

They could use for rain and thunder in summer too

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Youneckfreak

Looks like parts of eastern Scotland are going to rob our easterly tomorrow with big amounts of snow forecast to pile in, a small low buckles over us advecting the coldest air to our north, so infact it is going to get colder tonight with snow risk but become a bit less cold Tuesday night/ Weds AM before perhaps another push of cold in from the east through Wednesday afternoon/evening

Nothing for south east?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

For the first time this year the part of Poland my wife is from have had a real hard blast of winter the had over 3 foot of snow with more to come temperature's at night were from -20 to -25 day time temperature's from 0 to -10 they have had this weather since Tuesday,winter for them has not been to bad,at least if we get an easterly this week there is a decent cold pool to tap into

Much like earlier this winter, the cold this week appears to be becoming watered down temperatures possibly in double figures by Thursday evening in many parts.

Scotland looks the place to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Met.ie have issued a yellow warning for tonight and the morning:

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal and Louth

Snow showers tonight (Monday) and Tuesday morning over Ulster and some northern parts of Leinster with a risk of small accumulations.
    Issued:
    18 March 2013 15:00
    Valid:
    18 March 2013 21:00 to 19 March 2013 12:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

ZX7R wrote: »
    For the first time this year the part of Poland my wife is from have had a real hard blast of winter the had over 3 foot of snow with more to come temperature's at night were from -20 to -25 day time temperature's from 0 to -10 they have had this weather since Tuesday,winter for them has not been to bad,at least if we get an easterly this week there is a decent cold pool to tap into

I posted similar earlier in this thread, My wife is from Southern Poland between Krakow and Zakapone. Snow deeper than the knees, up to the waist in places. last night -22c, coldest its been all winter. I remember last May it snowed very heavy there and settled too, didn't last as soon as sun came out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement