Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold week ahead, change is on the way ............

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

snowing heavy now the last hour in kinsealy lovely big flakes starting to stick on the grass and the cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

Just started snowing in Lucan. Didn't really expect this to happen!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Wet snow and sleet now - big flakes. 2.1c DP 1.0c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭adamstown1

Bigger flakes now in Lucan, I was up at 4.30am for the f1 and I'm sure the skies were clear, this is a nice surprise....

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

Nice big flakes falling now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Cantonesque

Well a truly exceptional model output this morning particularly the ECM which would plunge Ireland into an extended freeze from this Sunday.

As it is so late in the season temperatures by day would rise to 3-5c but drop sharply in any wintry showers and by night drop well below freezing.

Wintry precipitation is likely as early as Sunday in parts as a low pressure system lies over Ireland giving periods of prolonged precip in places and also feeding in showers to coastal parts.

A surge of even colder air is then expected to advance from the northeast later Monday 18th March bringing wintry showers to eastern coasts and spreading inland.

From the period Tuesday 19th March to Saturday 23rd Ireland is expected to be in a deeply unstable arctic flow. Winds will vary but predominately be from the east and north. Some low pressure features may move south across the country at times giving prolonged periods of sleet or snow. Eastern and northern areas will be at risk of wintry showers/heavy snow showers throughout the period.

It is mid-March so snow-cover will likely retreat during daytime in any sunshine but there is still a risk of significant snowfall during the week with disruption likely to occur if the current model output materialises.

High ground will be particularly exposed with significant appreciations of snow likely in ground above 200m.

A few charts to wet the appetite.
    This has a November 2010 feel to it.

Recm1201.gif

Recm1441.gif

Recm1921.gif

Hats off to Weathercheck for calling this so long ago. Very impressive forecasting. Snowing heavy in Lucan and trying to stick but too wet. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Rain in South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

currently the 2nd coldest morning all winter in my in laws in southern Poland, -19c 15-20cms snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Bigger flakes now in clondalkin. Looks pretty.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

woke up to a white garden! it's melting now but still snow falling every now and then. Proper snow too not like the dandruff stuff we had last week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Gonzo wrote: »
    woke up to a white garden! it's melting now but still snow falling every now and then. Proper snow too not like the dandruff stuff we had last week.
    You mean wet snow not like the dry snow last week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some of the models moving away from the breakdown like snow event on Thursday/Friday to more straight forward transition to milder weather.

But still a 70%/30% situation at T120/144hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Some of the models moving away from the breakdown like snow event on Thursday/Friday to more straight forward transition to milder weather.

Awwwww

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭highdef

WIZE wrote: »

Nice :) Next time, turn your phone round 90 degrees and we'll see every thing in the correct aspect ratio ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll regret this but its lovely down here! :p

edit I regret it, clouded over :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Freezing here in KK. Inside at any rate. I'm just remembering a St Patrick's Day where everyone was wearing shorts here. It was quite soon after I moved here in '98. Is there any way I could track down what year it was? I've tried googling but coming up dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Freezing here in KK. Inside at any rate. I'm just remembering a St Patrick's Day where everyone was wearing shorts here. It was quite soon after I moved here in '98. Is there any way I could track down what year it was? I've tried googling but coming up dry.

1999. Stonking weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

C12FB03185CC4D15807F28B70557AC96-0000346468-0003193870-00500L-5117AA7706C6412CB6221742203DE12B.jpg

a few more from earlier this morning, here. it's all melting now though!

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

Was hardly a non event last week. Does it have to be Dublin to count as an event?

Was hardly a non-event? Only if people believed what they read here.

Does it have to be in Dublin? You tell me - I'm rarely anywhere near Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Oh Solas, are you really denying the validity of pictures from last Monday? Gerrrup outttaaaaaa that, people got snow, you didn't, life is hard sometimes.

Anyway, very excited about the coming week. People at lower levels are already seeing sleet and snow with 850's barely scraping -4 in some areas! They'll be falling to -8 at least in some Northern areas, ECM keen on having a larger swathe of the country under -8 uppers though. Still a chance the low later next week undercuts better creating potential for a big snowstorm. March full of potential right to the end, just look at GFS 6z FI, as long as that massive high is to our North, bob's your uncle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Yeah, some people think that snow is impossible with uppers of -4. But if thicknesses are good and precip falls at night or during the morning, its well possible as we saw this morning (particularly over N Dublin). Also wind direction major factor with marginal 850s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

patneve2 wrote: »
    Yeah, some people think that snow is impossible with uppers of -4. But if thicknesses are good and precip falls at night or during the morning, its well possible as we saw this morning (particularly over N Dublin). Also wind direction major factor with marginal 850s

Indeed, morning and at night are the best chances of sticking snow, albeit briefly!

The Heavier the precip the better also, that'll help drag down colder air with less chance of modification etc.

The January 'cold' snap didn't excite me once, but I really do believe something big could happen here and very few will see it coming thinking it's March and too late for snow etc.

Eagerly waiting for the 12z's. don't let me down!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭thomasj

Sleety rain currently falling Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

solas111 wrote: »
    Was hardly a non-event? Only if people believed what they read here.

Does it have to be in Dublin? You tell me - I'm rarely anywhere near Dublin.

South east has frequent snow showers which quickly blew over in the day, winds slackened a bit in the evening giving more prolonoged showers and accumalations up to 10cm at sea level.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

2003 iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Gerry Murphy just said on the week ahead forecast that the easterly will "re establish" next weekend after what look like a battle ground situation on Friday.
    Friday's chart looks like a milder south easterly but winds don't always blow in a straight line like the isobars suggest. This chart is day two of a three day easterly blizzard, it doesn't look a particularly cold chart.

Rrea00119170126.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met office have issued a snow warning for NI for Tuesday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

in a way tho this cold spell is soul destroying because if we had this even 4 weeks ago we would have a fine carpet of snow on the ground lasting throughout the day and lasting all week.

It looks like we could see several snow falls this week if we get the precipitation during nightfall, but postcard perfect morning snow scenes will be washed away within an hour of decent daylight unless we get plastered with snow. This is why I do not enjoy snow at this time of the year.

Snowed here all morning, then rain over past 2 hours, now its starting to turn very sleety again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gonzo wrote: »
    in a way tho this cold spell is soul destroying because if we had this even 4 weeks ago we would have a fine carpet of snow on the ground lasting throughout the day and lasting all week.

It looks like we could see several snow falls this week if we get the precipitation during nightfall, but postcard perfect morning snow scenes will be washed away within an hour of decent daylight unless we get plastered with snow. This is why I do not enjoy snow at this time of the year.

Snowed here all morning, then rain over past 2 hours, now its starting to turn very sleety again.

ah sure you look, you can only deal with the cards you have been dealt, no point in thinking about it being too late in season. Doesnt sound too bad if it snowed there all morning. I cant remember the last time I seen snow lying at low levels here, and if it melted within an hour it doesnt sound like much of an inconvenience to you seeing as you dont like it as this time of year. 3 to 4 inches of snow some day in March or April one morning wouldnt bother me in the slightest. Snow please pay a visit here where you will be appreciated.
    Gone in an hour , no problem. Thanks for the quick visit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement