Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veronica Mars (Movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,820 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah just copy and pasted from the mail. :)

Got my download code anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Celtise

Unfortunately could not afford digital copy perk at the time of kickstarter. Downloading it on iTunes now.

I guess I'll leave this thread until I watch it myself. Hope everyone enjoys it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was very pleased with the film I watched last night :) It's a sharply written and consistently engaging return to Neptune. I had actually forgotten what a great setting Neptune is, with its class war and constant corruption. Veronica remains a classic hardboiled detective, and a strong female protagonist that goes well beyond 'sassy' into something more complex. Here she's definitely wiser and a little colder than she was in the series, which absolutely suits the story being told. There's definitely scope for 'more' if this does well.

The film is pretty gratuitous fan service, in a good way. Pretty much every surviving recurring character pops up at some point, and impressively Thomas manages to integrate that into the plot - even if they only appear for a single scene, there's usually a justified reason why a character shows up (although obvious the
    class reunion
    is a handy shortcut to get a lot of them in ;)). Although it's definitely not going to appeal massively to non-fans - I went with three others, two of whom had never seen an episode before, and they were pretty much lost by the whole thing, while the third had seen at least the first season and enjoyed it much more. But then this is a unique entity, literally funded by the fans. It could potentially have an effect on a sequel's viability, though, since the film doesn't necessarily broaden Mars' appeal.

There's definitely the vibe of a condensed series of the show here (and is a strange compromise between TV and cinema in the aesthetics department), but it works well. It moves along briskly, has forward momentum, and the dialogue and central mystery are as sharp as ever. The latter is pretty standard fare in some regards, but it goes to show a traditional plot can seem fresh when the characters are this compelling. Could have done without the '
    stealth vehicle crash
    ', alas, which is among my cinematic pet peeves :(

Above all, it reminds us that Veronica is such a great protagonist. There's a lot of strong support here - Enrico Colantoni is particularly fantastic - but Kirsten Bell realises Veronica with just the right mix of warmth and cynicism. More a porcupine than a marshmallow, she's her own worst enemy in many regards, and the addiction themed voiceover than runs throughout is a brilliant way of exploring a person who can't really escape who she is, as much as she hates herself for it.

A high quality return for Veronica Mars then - for the fans and proud of it. It's not Serenity quality (what is?), but it's a very enjoyable revisit to Neptune. If they can keep up this quality - and it is, happily, a notch above most of series three - then even more Veronica Mars would be a welcome proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,144 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it true
    Logan is in the navy and wears the white uniform

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it true
    Logan is in the navy and wears the white uniform
    Yes!But I think it's the Air Force

Saw this in Dundrum tonight, was expecting to be one of the few people there but the screen was nearly full so was delighted by that! Really enjoyed it, I went in as a big fan but my partner only had a vague knowledge of the show and really enjoyed it as well.Hopefully this bodes well for some kind of future for the franchise on screen but if that didn't happen, I'd be happy with it as the last word on the series

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Sesudra wrote: »
    Yes!But I think it's the Air Force

Saw this in Dundrum tonight, was expecting to be one of the few people there but the screen was nearly full so was delighted by that! Really enjoyed it, I went in as a big fan but my partner only had a vague knowledge of the show and really enjoyed it as well.Hopefully this bodes well for some kind of future for the franchise on screen but if that didn't happen, I'd be happy with it as the last word on the series

Was it the 9:20 screening? Yeh was at that one myself with my current Squeeze, we were both big fans going in and even more so going out.

Tho I Had a hard time picturing a reformed Logan Echolls who has joined the Navy/airforce dating a pop star.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Watched it there after they sent me my kickstarter link. The movie just makes me want more. Time for another rewatch of the series I think. :p

They should kickstart a sequel. They would make whatever target they set easily. More Mars please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭DeWitt

I was completely fine all throughout the movie, but the second We Used To Be Friends started playing over the end credits I completely lost it. Turned into a blubbering mess.

DeWitt wrote: »
    I was completely fine all throughout the movie, but the second We Used To Be Friends started playing over the end credits I completely lost it. Turned into a blubbering mess.

Strangely that made me smile. It was when
    Logan's voiceover inpsirational message
    played that got me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Damn, that was actually really good!

Very impressed!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Honestly, I had forgotten the series a little and was a bit wary after the weaker third season so I wasn't too hopeful. Delighted then that all three of us very much enjoyed it. It helped too that the (full) screen seemed to be entirely populated by fans who were laughing along in all the right places and nodding at various references (a number of which went over my head).

It was also far funnier than I expected. Even Dick's frat boy style seemed smarter than other shows would manage.

It did what it should have done: Made me nostalgic for the series and left me wanting more.

Finally got this film watched. Thought it was great.

What a random appearance from
    James Franco

So am I to assume
    The ramming of the car was setup by the sheriff?

Also appreciated the reference to
    season 4

And going by the latest update from Rob, things are looking good for a sequel, but no guarantee yet.

Now I want to rewatch the series

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Thought the scenes in the 09ER were fantastic and IMO it is where the movie started to find its legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

doubt there will be sequel but i was kinda disappointed there wasn't more emphasis re veronnica dad's, kind of the story line that got left off the third season, more about the town's corruption rather then
    1 old murder
    , although there was some of that

then rob thomas said this Veronica Mars Boss on Chinatown-esque Sequel http://tvline.com/2014/03/16/veronica-mars-movie-sequel-chinatown/

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

Any see the book on sale here? I've tried Easons and Waterstones but they don't have it. Waterstones said they could order it in but might just chance Amazon instead. Doesn't seem to be available on the kindle store either.

Daisy03 wrote: »
    Any see the book on sale here? I've tried Easons and Waterstones but they don't have it. Waterstones said they could order it in but might just chance Amazon instead. Doesn't seem to be available on the kindle store either.
    And the UK store has a 1-3 week shipping so I assume they're importing it from the US and it isn't even published here. Would explain the lack of a UK kindle version because there is a US one. Very irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I pre-ordered the book on Amazon with free shipping and got an email today saying it will be here between the 3rd and 5th of April. Previous estimate was 19th of April.

Maybe worth checking Amazon again?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    I pre-ordered the book on Amazon with free shipping and got an email today saying it will be here between the 3rd and 5th of April. Previous estimate was 19th of April.

Maybe worth checking Amazon again?

Thanks.

I ordered the soundtrack to the movie (I wanted the physical copy rather than itunes) and I still haven't received it. Estimated delivery has been pushed back to between 8th and 14th of April so its good to know the book might come a little faster.

The ebook is out. I just downloaded that. Buy a kindle or Nook. Best bit of money you will ever spend.

Only a few chapters in and the jury is still out. I wont pass total judgement yet but it hasn't blown me away. Stuff that is co-authored generally doesn't impress me. This feels like it was written by a random author, and then handed to Rob Thomas so he could add in some spiffy dialogue and that's that.

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    The ebook is out. I just downloaded that. Buy a kindle or Nook. Best bit of money you will ever spend.

Only a few chapters in and the jury is still out. I wont pass total judgement yet but it hasn't blown me away. Stuff that is co-authored generally doesn't impress me. This feels like it was written by a random author, and then handed to Rob Thomas so he could add in some spiffy dialogue and that's that.
    I have a kobo but they haven't released it on that yet, which I had a feeling would be the case.

My worry is how quickly it seems to have been written but I'm looking forward to it all the same.

It's not out in the UK Amazon site, from where I buy my books. It seems it's US only. Idiotic publishing regulations.

A lot if coauthored fare is just a cheap cash in. Writers like James Patterson can churn out ten books a year thanks to the system and his contract will often call for him to write no note than the opening 4 lines of each chapter.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

About the book, I ordered it from The Book Depository. They shipped it straight away and it arrived within a few days.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Veronica-Mars-Original-Mystery-by-Rob-Thomas-Rob-Thomas/9780804170703

And I got the soundtrack from a seller on Amazon; that way it was cheaper and it came pretty quickly too.

It wasn't great. Fairly mediocre whodunit fare. But its worth reading for a future plot point. I'll spoiler it for anybody who doesn't want to know.
    Lianne is back. She reconciled with Veronica somewhat by the end of the book. She has a new kid so Veronica has a six year old half brother.

So there was that. I'm hoping the next novel will be of a higher standard.

I quite liked the book. It dealt with a few unresolved issues in the movie, like
    the tension between Veronica and Keith regarding her career choice and it delved a little into the police corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Can't seem to find the e-book on either amazon.com or uk

I found the ebook no problem. PM me if you need help.

I would have preferred to listen to the audiobook because of Kristen but alas not within my budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Celtise wrote: »
    I found the ebook no problem. PM me for you need help.

I would have preferred to listen to the audiobook because of Kristen but alas not within my budget.

On which Amazon? .com or .co.uk

• Advertisement

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    On which Amazon? .com or .co.uk
    I believe it's on the .com site but only visible for US-based Kindle owners. It's not on the UK site at all so if your account is with the UK site you won't be able to get it in an ebook format (legally anyway).

Advertisement