Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Measuring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

delaval wrote: »
    At the moment we have no silage ground all grazed and only think of silage when surplus begins to appear.We do not measure the outfarm. Regarding input e would input silage yield into agrinet as it really is grazing ground. We measure cow ground weekly and maybe 3 times a fortnight in very fast growth
    What sort of covers do you take out for silage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

td5man wrote: »
    What sort of covers do you take out for silage
    >1500

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Did a walk today, and fired the figures into agrinet, average farm cover of 520kg/ha, down from 550 3weeks ago, but at least a growth of 12kg/day, which can be seen with the fields greening up! Cows still in by night and budgeting out the final few ungrazed paddocks, Assuming the wet weather doesn't hinder ground conditions again, Round 2 will probably start on April 1st, going into paddocks abit low on grass, but no other choice! Fingers crossed for a burst of growth soon!

Actually one question I have, should I be putting a cover of 250, or 0 for a grazed out paddock? Using 250 for most at the minute, that would certainly change my AFC figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Timmaay wrote: »
    Did a walk today, and fired the figures into agrinet, average farm cover of 520kg/ha, down from 550 3weeks ago, but at least a growth of 12kg/wk, which can be seen with the fields greening up! Cows still in by night and budgeting out the final few ungrazed paddocks, Assuming the wet weather doesn't hinder ground conditions again, Round 2 will probably start on April 1st, going into paddocks abit low on grass, but no other choice! Fingers crossed for a burst of growth soon!

Actually one question I have, should I be putting a cover of 250, or 0 for a grazed out paddock? Using 250 for most at the minute, that would certainly change my AFC figure!

I'm using 250 atm for the grazed out paddocks. Some are tighter, some not. I haven't measured that, just estimated. A tight graze would be c. 250.
    My AFC is 574 and 60% grazed on SRP. Some poor paddocks ahead! Everything came back in and stayed in before rain last weekend. Will let out again when a bit warmer as oldest is 18months.

Did a walk today, and fired the figures into agrinet, average farm cover of 520kg/ha, down from 550 3weeks ago, but at least a growth of 12kg/day, which can be seen with the fields greening up! Cows still in by night and budgeting out the final few ungrazed paddocks, Assuming the wet weather doesn't hinder ground conditions again, Round 2 will probably start on April 1st, going into paddocks abit low on grass, but no other choice! Fingers crossed for a burst of growth soon!

We use 150 as grazed but it actually makes no difference. What is your cover per cow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

if it is well grazed the post-grazing cover should be between 50 and 100kgs. 250 sounds like a lot

Aldi have a cordless grass shear coming in on 1Apr would be perfect for anyone cutting and weighing €24.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

PMU wrote: »
    if it is well grazed the post-grazing cover should be between 50 and 100kgs. 250 sounds like a lot

id use the same, usually 50kgs for a well skint paddock.

only use plate meter for measuring residuals, and a lot of the time i was getting readings of -100 or around abouts, 2.5 cm, over grazing or just good to the bone?

We use 150 as grazed but it actually makes no difference. What is your cover per cow?

Just over 300. If I fire in a cover of 50 instead of 250 for the few paddocks recently grazed out, this drops to 270. That is 67 milkers, and about 20weinlings/maidens, the drycows, some of the bigger maidens and incalf heifers are still inside. Anyways, from a quick read up that's a fairly comfortable cover per cow?

timmay,is that 270 per ha, or per cow.

• Advertisement

Yep 270ish per lu grazing at the minute, so that is excluding the dry cows, incalf heifers and some of the bigger maiden heifers which are all still inside. I probably should be including them in the figures, having said that a good few of the drycows will not be calving until May/June, so will probably be kept housed, or certainly until all the silage is gone!

Had to spread washing water this evening and was surprised how the grass has greened up lately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

td5man wrote: »
    Had to spread washing water this evening and was surprised how the grass has greened up lately

There's going to be a serious flush of grass if we ever get a bit of kind weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

There's going to be a serious flush of grass if we ever get a bit of kind weather.
    yup. everyone will be in the same boat as me, but they didnt have sheep in:D

whelan1 wrote: »
    Think of the extra high quality grass youll have because of the sheep and no weeds.

sheep and cows dont mix,not enough grass for the cows in april. (I asken a beef farmer recently did he have sheep."Yes ,but there not my own",turns out he caught a neighbour throwing a ewe over a gap!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

We didn't have Sheep in, but someone stole our 2nd cut silage crop (long story).. so cattle were out till December and early January.

We've so little grass we could chop the lot and pop it in a freezer bag to weigh it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

kowtow wrote: »
    We didn't have Sheep in, but someone stole our 2nd cut silage crop (long story).. so cattle were out till December and early January.

We've so little grass we could chop the lot and pop it in a freezer bag to weigh it.

Grass growth here has picked up immensely just did a walk there and I should have enough for cows out full time from today. Soil temp up also at 10deg so should get good response from fert I spread last week! Have half a pit of silage left thinking I might sell it seen as there is such demand out there!

Grass growth here has picked up immensely just did a walk there and I should have enough for cows out full time from today. Soil temp up also at 10deg so should get good response from fert I spread last week! Have half a pit of silage left thinking I might sell it seen as there is such demand out there!
    what part of the country are you in... we where over at outfarm this morning, theres 70 acres there and any other year at this time of year we would have cattle out not a chance this year...no growth at all, even where got slurry a month ago is at a standstill:eek:

Is that under trampoline in lawn????

• Advertisement

what part of the country are you in... we where over at outfarm this morning, theres 70 acres there and any other year at this time of year we would have cattle out not a chance this year...no growth at all, even where got slurry a month ago is at a standstill:eek:

The sunny southeast whelan where the clouds are grey and the temp with wind chill is minus 4!! At the minute! Just thought I'd throw that out there seen as the day we have! !!!!!!

Is that under trampoline in lawn????

No in the living room in d potted plant! Lol

The sunny southeast whelan where the clouds are grey and the temp with wind chill is minus 4!! At the minute! Just thought I'd throw that out there seen as the day we have! !!!!!!
    :D:D i think i am slowly losing my sense of humour.... my mother is from wexford so i know ye are not much better off than us on the weather front

:D:D i think i am slowly losing my sense of humour.... my mother is from wexford so i know ye are not much better off than us on the weather front

Growing here but real slow!!!!!

We had two very sunny and warm days sat/sun here, pity I don't have anything to measure the solid temps with (have to get something, any bog standard thermometer will do I take it?), Fields all greened up, but not much cover yet. Today different story, some windchill, we survived with a milking parlour exposed to the east for years, usually only afew days a year the cold really hits ya, but this year different story, I may do something with it this summer!

did you let your cows out last night?

Nay didn't bother, had them in the shed and fed when my dad asked me why they weren't out, and was in a rush myself anyways! Have a nice closed in paddock to put them in tonight, with abit of cover on it to keep them happy. Will let them eat silage until 8/9, open the gate to the paddock then. Maybe they wont want to go out :eek: will get the greatest TOLD YA SO from the boss if that happens :P

Nay didn't bother, had them in the shed and fed when my dad asked me why they weren't out, and was in a rush myself anyways! Have a nice closed in paddock to put them in tonight, with abit of cover on it to keep them happy. Will let them eat silage until 8/9, open the gate to the paddock then. Maybe they wont want to go out :eek: will get the greatest TOLD YA SO from the boss if that happens

:P
    Tim let out before silage then leave gap open. Regular meat thermometer will do about €15

Did a cover do not know why, habit at this stage.
    Afc 470
    /Lu 192
    Growth 10 If we stay at 9kgs grass, 6kgs nuts and 2kg hulls at a pre-graze cover of 762 e are ok for 30 days

If we go to 12 kgs grass and 5 kg nuts/hulls we would need pre-graze cover of 983/ha to get 30 days

Surly be growth in 30 days, will there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 clarecowboy

kowtow wrote: »

How in the name of god did someone manage to steal your 2nd cut silage crop??

Advertisement