Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Measuring

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

How in the name of god did someone manage to steal your 2nd cut silage crop??
    You'll have to tell us really curious:confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

delaval wrote: »
    You'll have to tell us really curious:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Very curious !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

How in the name of god did someone manage to steal your 2nd cut silage crop??

We bought a farm with cattle standing..

Day after completion (a saturday) a contractor turned up to cut & bale silage crop. The Vendor swore it was in the contract (it wasn't - as I well knew and protested - but try getting an emailed contract from an Irish Solicitor on a saturday...) and by Monday it was too late.

Worst possible year for it to happen, but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clarecowboy

kowtow wrote: »

Day after completion (a saturday) a contractor turned up to cut & bale silage crop. The Vendor swore it was in the contract (it wasn't - as I well knew and protested - but try getting an emailed contract from an Irish Solicitor on a saturday...) and by Monday it was too late.

Some people these days are so sneaky and dishonest. Farmers always had a name for honesty but greed is taking over this walk of life too!

kowtow wrote: »

Chin up, the ahole got a cut of silage but have his land.
    All I can do is wish you the best with your purchase and remember it's a long road that doesn't turn!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Spread slurry in feb( when we seen good weather for that week) got 110 acres spread with lime today and going out tomorrow with fertiliser because rain is forecasted for sat. Here's hoping for Abit of grass growth or I will pull my hair out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Soil temp was 8° this afternoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

td5man wrote: »
    Soil temp was 8° this afternoon
    just back from football, i'd say its near freezing now

whelan1 wrote: »
    just back from football, i'd say its near freezing now
    must check soil temp in the morning.

must check soil temp in the morning.
    I did not believe you went out to check in lawn just now 6.5 :):)yahoo
    Would an April shower be too much to hope for?
    I'm nearly out of loaves and fishes:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

6 degrees now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I did not believe you went out to check in lawn just now 6.5 :):)yahoo
    Would an April shower be too much to hope for?
    I'm nearly out of loaves and fishes:eek::eek:

I'll smack the next lad that gives out about it being dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

I'll smack the next lad that gives out about it being dry!
    Yeah, all lads wanted at the end of March last year was "a drop of rain and twill be perfect". That worked out well didn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 clarecowboy

Yeah, all lads wanted at the end of March last year was "a drop of rain and twill be perfect". That worked out well didn't it.
    As they say: "Be careful what you wish for"........

4 degrees at 6.30

4 degrees at 6.30
    did you have frost last night?

did you have frost last night?

4° here as well.

4° here as well.
    i assume you had the same frost as me

i assume you had the same frost as me

Yep seems there aint no end in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

Chin up, the ahole got a cut of silage but have his land.
    All I can do is wish you the best with your purchase and remember it's a long road that doesn't turn!!

Thanks, and you are right - as a compensation, I got some wonderful neighbours who are relieved to see the back of the previous occupant (he only had the ground for a few years, until then the farm was known as a little gem which had passed through hundreds of years of the same family).

I had intended to go back to Sheep (which I grew up with) but found myself with an extremely mixed bunch of the previous occupiers in-calf heifers & bull runts, all in very poor condition, and am quietly calving away to see what they contain.

Have to say I'm beginning to come round to these milkers.. which might just as well as Sheep around here seem to be shot as vermin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭TEAT SQUEEZER

whats grass dm at the moment...was using 20% for remaining first round .. stuff is tinder dry

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

probably 24-25%dm after the last weeks wind.the sun is bright as well

PMU wrote: »
    probably 24-25%dm after the last weeks wind.the sun is bright as well

Instead of growing d grass is disappearing ! Fast even without grazing

Instead of growing d grass is disappearing ! Fast even without grazing
    Minimal growth since March began 5 weeks now. On the plus side all paddocks are grazed to the clay so when weather changes we will be vary well set up. It will be seat of the pants stuff 'till then.
    Some of our farm borders motorway and the shyte that passed on trucks as feed is unreal. People are panicing at this stage and prepared to pay big money for rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Timmaay wrote: »
    Did a walk today, and fired the figures into agrinet, average farm cover of 520kg/ha, down from 550 3weeks ago, but at least a growth of 12kg/day, which can be seen with the fields greening up! Cows still in by night and budgeting out the final few ungrazed paddocks, Assuming the wet weather doesn't hinder ground conditions again, Round 2 will probably start on April 1st, going into paddocks abit low on grass, but no other choice! Fingers crossed for a burst of growth soon!

Had to check afew fences today, so did a walk around the paddocks while I was at it. Fired the figures into agrinet just now, farm cover down to 356kg/ha (cover of 520 above was 3wks ago), cover per LU down to 180. Finished round 1 on April 1st, going into covers of only 6/700ish now, and the cows are rocketing through them. I think I should have tightened the belt even more on the grass budgeting last few weeks, but really didn't think the cold would last this long. Daily growth stagnant at 14kg.

my cows are going in to really low covers 400 max, and are happy out, let them back in at half 3 , still in at night, a week left on first rotation , didnt bother grazing silage ground as sheep left nothing on it

my cows are going in to really low covers 400 max, and are happy out, let them back in at half 3 , still in at night, a week left on first rotation , didnt bother grazing silage ground as sheep left nothing on it
    Sheep gone since xmas must be 400 on silage ground.
    A big issue with low covers are that your solids will be under pressure. We are all in the same boat and will need to watch solids and keep feed in.
    We start 2nd round on Tues only 700 on it and she drops dramatically after this.

looks like a lot of rain on way for Wed I wont spread fert till that's gone. Ground very hard at the moment be afraid it would run off too expensive for that craic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

looks like a lot of rain on way for Wed I wont spread fert till that's gone. Ground very hard at the moment be afraid it would run off too expensive for that craic

unless you are farming on the side of a steep hill, run-off wont be a issue. a good fall of rain along with fertilizer is like herion for a plant.

• Advertisement

unless you are farming on the side of a steep hill, run-off wont be a issue. a good fall of rain along with fertilizer is like herion for a plant.

I held off aswell bob!

Advertisement