Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Measuring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

whelan1 wrote: »
    if its anything like around here there's nothing to measure:D
    Thats what i was thinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

td5man wrote: »
    Thats what i was thinking
    did you walk yours at all?

did you walk yours at all?

WALK!!! The ground is wet here again,the fields are greening but f*** all cover on them. If there was a bit more heat growth would take off rapidly.
    Have to clean and resurface a neighbours roadway next week before he lets his cows out,suppose i'll have to put mine out as well :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

How are you to know what ye have?

I bet you know how much meal in bin, silage in pit etc. but don't know what feed is in the fields???

delaval wrote: »
    How are you to know what ye have?

I bet you know how much meal in bin, silage in pit etc. but don't know what feed is in the fields???
    Dont remind me about the meal bin its nearly empty again :(
    Ive been round most of the farm and there aint a lot of grass.

• Advertisement

Dont remind me about the meal bin its nearly empty again :(
    Ive been round most of the farm and there aint a lot of grass.
    I think there's a hole in ours or a meal theif in the area:eek::eek:

I think there's a hole in ours or a meal theif in the area:eek::eek:
    The only thief is the lad selling it.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

Is grass measuring the new religion. It has all the hall marks.

The church of teagasc, grass grows in mysterious ways, or going by what I see on some dairy farms its more like the miracle of the loaves and fishes feeding the 5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

mf240 wrote: »
    Is grass measuring the new religion. It has all the hall marks.

Actually going out and measuring it, I'm guessing that is new enough? Or have many of yous (delaval/stan etc) been measuring with years, before all this talk of expansion came?

But one thing is for sure, the basic principles have been preached by teagasc, and practiced by alot of farmers for years, we have always had paddocks on our farm, some sort of spring rotation plan would be carried out, no measure or detailed budgeting done but it would work out ok most years, over the summer just keep on rotating the paddocks, how close to 21days we use to get I couldn't tell ya. I think the idea of keeping covers over the winter is a new enough concept though? Certainly something that we never really really did!

As delaval said earlier in this thread, apart from helping grass budgeting, where grass measuring really shows its worth is spotting poor paddocks, we all have the good paddocks which we like to brag about or whatever ha, that probably grow between 10/15tons dm per year, its the poor ones that ya need to look after! For the dairypeople, land limiting your milk output instead of quotas in the future means every paddock has to work for ya!

We started in 2006 and have all records. We used to use the teagasc program but have since moved to agrinet and find brilliant.

We have been on expansion since about 2004 and the one thing that helped most along with AI was grass measuring.

One season measuring and you will never make a grazing decision without this info. I can't thin of any new technology that is as cheap. All you need is a pencil, notebook, calculator and a rain coat if raining. Nowadays a phone and a coat!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

We started in 2006 and have all records. We used to use the teagasc program but have since moved to agrinet and find brilliant.

We have been on expansion since about 2004 and the one thing that helped most along with AI was grass measuring.

One season measuring and you will never make a grazing decision without this info. I can't thin of any new technology that is as cheap. All you need is a pencil, notebook, calculator and a rain coat if raining. Nowadays a phone and a coat!!

Just wondering what was the average date since 2006 of your magic day last year it was well into may up here with us.

When do you start calving?

Our's would be mid April. We also calve winter milkers and let them out at same time. I recon in this area and on our land we could start calving mid-last week Jan if we were in all spring.

I think a lot of people on later land are calving too early leading to a ot of extra supplementation.

same as that we start calving in september but land is heavy up our end we can grow it but grazing it ...........well thats a whole different ball game ground is very wet here at the moment no way could you graze it

loveta wrote: »
    same as that we start calving in september but land is heavy up our end we can grow it but grazing it ...........well thats a whole different ball game ground is very wet here at the moment no way could you graze it
    Sounds to me like you now what you're doing. Is your winter attrecting a premium?

Could you consider calving say Oct and get a month extra summer grazing in the next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭quader

any one using a plate meter and d o ye find it any good

Sounds to me like you now what you're doing. Is your winter attrecting a premium?

Could you consider calving say Oct and get a month extra summer grazing in the next year?
    Actually moving to later back end calving
    Getting a small premium 5 cents for November and Feb and 4 cents for December and Jan but feed bill this year is crazy

those of ye with the cows out fulltime, when will your first rotation be finished , what is your wedge looking like , will ye be in trouble for grass soon???? Whats the contingency(sp) plan?

quader wrote: »
    any one using a plate meter and d o ye find it any good
    Used to have one gave it away. They are expensive and inaccurate in higher covers>1200 and really only useful for post grazing yield. I would paint a few lines on my willies before I'd use one again. I think they did more to confuse people re. grass measuring than anything else.

those of ye with the cows out fulltime, when will your first rotation be finished , what is your wedge looking like , will ye be in trouble for grass soon???? Whats the contingency(sp) plan?

We started off the last third of our grazing today. Covers range from 900-1300, we will stretch till first days of April.

Wedge is irrevelant at this time of year. We only use wedge in main growing season. For now it's about allocating area each day. The cover on this area is there because of decisions at last backend....hence the importance of measuring and budgeting.

Our contingency is to come in with silage. That decision is a bit off yet. Silage is an absolute last resort here as it is pure poison for protein, that is unless you have some high quality round bales.

The ground they are grazing was last grazed in Nov and Dec. It has since got 3000 gallons lagoon slurry in early Jan and 1 bag urea 3 wks ago

I am not overly concerned yet as this is typical March weather. Soil temp today was 5 and we are growing 12/day our demand at the moment is 25 as all cows are not calved and at grass. We are also feeding 4 kg 12% nut in parlor, this of course would be increased before we would consider silage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Will be able to stretch it till april 6 i hope,Contingency plan is high quality wraps which i introduced last sunday night,cOWS CAN COME DOWN FOR THIS AT IGHT ONLY AND ARE CURRENTLY EATING 1 bale every 2 nights.Not panacking just yet but would like to see a flush of growth fairly soon

• Advertisement

saw farming forecast today, looks ****e... thought there was to be an improvement after tuesday

saw farming forecast today, looks ****e... thought there was to be an improvement after tuesday
    Heavy rain Thursday Fri temperature looks to be staying low until end of the month

Heavy rain Thursday Fri temperature looks to be staying low until end of the month
    Typical March weather so nothing to worry about.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Will be able to stretch it till april 6 i hope,Contingency plan is high quality wraps which i introduced last sunday night,cOWS CAN COME DOWN FOR THIS AT IGHT ONLY AND ARE CURRENTLY EATING 1 bale every 2 nights.Not panacking just yet but would like to see a flush of growth fairly soon

If they are eating half bale per day high quality silage, shows how good early spring grass is..........so heads up everyone, commit to measure and budget for this season and you'll have grass this time next year. There is no doubt that grazed grass = profit;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

49801 wrote: »
    Ppl using paper based, excel or an app for calculations?
    agrinet

Is that a web only app?
    I.e. do u have to have 3G signal?

Or do you enter data on the office PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Is that a web only app?
    I.e. do u have to have 3G signal?

Or do you enter data on the office PC?

Just jot down the covers in the paddocks on a scrap of paper when your doing the walk and enter it into agrinet back in the office. For anyone who is just dipping their toes in the whole grass measuring I'd still suggest you use the very simple teagasc grass wedge sheet, its an A4 sheet of paper that ya fire in the covers, and it spits out a similar result to agrinet without the slightly steeper learning curve, over time when ya get your head around the whole grass measurement, agrinet speeds up everything, and lets you see best paddocks etc at the end of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Timmaay wrote: »
    Just jot down the covers in the paddocks on a scrap of paper when your doing the walk and enter it into agrinet back in the office. For anyone who is just dipping their toes in the whole grass measuring I'd still suggest you use the very simple teagasc grass wedge sheet, its an A4 sheet of paper that ya fire in the covers, and it spits out a similar result to agrinet without the slightly steeper learning curve, over time when ya get your head around the whole grass measurement, agrinet speeds up everything, and lets you see best paddocks etc at the end of the year!

Thanks.

Does the wedge work for unequal field sizes ?
    We have 15 acres fields (silage) as well as 2.5, 5, 6, 3 etc

Thanks.

Does the wedge work for unequal field sizes ?
    We have 15 acres fields (silage) as well as 2.5, 5, 6, 3 etc
    yes

what is regrowth like on fields that have been grazed first?

• Advertisement

what is regrowth like on fields that have been grazed first?
    150-400 normal growth for March

Advertisement