Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Measuring

Options
1868788899092»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Between 6 and 800 afc

Thanks

I might be finishing up soon so ........ even before finishing this last rotation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

Havent measured since Monday 2 wks ago
    Farm cover 500
    Cover/lu 200
    Gr of 12/day

from
    440 farm cover
    176 cover/lu
    Gr 14 2 weeks ago
    Be interesting to see what's there feb 1st

• Registered Users Posts: 29,240 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Havent measured since Monday 2 wks ago
    Farm cover 500
    Cover/lu 200
    Gr of 12/day

from
    440 farm cover
    176 cover/lu
    Gr 14 2 weeks ago
    Be interesting to see what's there feb 1st
    are they in full time?

whelan2 wrote: »
    are they in full time?

Yep. Just winter maidens and bulls out on out farm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,278 ✭✭✭frazzledhome

https://twitter.com/freerangedairy/status/536649681313746945

If guys don't keep their heads that is where we're heading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Has to be higher than 4000l from forage. Stan reckons that we should be getting that much from grass which would be serious going.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Am i reading that wrong or are the guys feeding less forage on a larger margin ?

15 tonnes grown to date in 2014, absolutely delighted. Goal is 16, big ask.

12 gr this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

15 tonnes grown to date in 2014, absolutely delighted. Goal is 16, big ask.

12 gr this week.

Closed yesterday at afc of 745,estimate I've grown 15.5 tonne maby bit more or less as I only measured full time up to late June and then sporadically every 10 days or 2 weeks at times.over 90% of milk block reseeded in last 6 years and it's showing.first paddock for next feb has close to 1800 on it,green right through so it'll winter well.this years heifer calves going in tomorrow and that's it all stock off the land bar the bull who'll out winter on 1/4 acre of scrub for winter

Closed yesterday at afc of 745,estimate I've grown 15.5 tonne maby bit more or less as I only measured full time up to late June and then sporadically every 10 days or 2 weeks at times.over 90% of milk block reseeded in last 6 years and it's showing.first paddock for next feb has close to 1800 on it,green right through so it'll winter well.this years heifer calves going in tomorrow and that's it all stock off the land bar the bull who'll out winter on 1/4 acre of scrub for winter

1/4 acre scrub, surprised and disappointed MJ

• Advertisement

1/4 acre scrub, surprised and disappointed MJ

First year with a bull ,1/4 acre is basically around my overground slurry store so at least he'll have a bit of shelter!!!!,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

Milkers out by day for another week. Weanling heifers out for another two weeks min. They're grazing off a couple of heavy paddocks with big covers on the main block then back to finish off silage ground. 2-3 day blocks. Gr back a long way with the last few days. Nothing grazed since October 20th being regrazed so far. If the mild and dry conditions had continued we might have gone back on a few of the heavier covers but not looking likely now. Last of the dry cows housed today.

considering we had a 100 days plus sub 30kg/day we must be at least 4-5 tonnes back on frazzledhome and mjs figures for tonnes grown.

Grass still growing well around here neighbor finished up grazing 1st dec and easily cover of 100+ on the last paddock
    Still debating whether we try urea or go with can for first round

Grass still growing well around here neighbor finished up grazing 1st dec and easily cover of 100+ on the last paddock
    Still debating whether we try urea or go with can for first round

Urea no contest ,first of it going out late January here hopefully

Urea no contest ,first of it going out late January here hopefully

Dad has no great faith in it. Everything has to be right for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

done a grass walk last week and grass was still growing on the dryier parts of the farm but I noticed that there is quite a a bit of decaying leaves on covers of 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Dad has no great faith in it. Everything has to be right for it
    very easy for everything to be right for it in early spring,

trixi2011 wrote: »
    done a grass walk last week and grass was still growing on the dryier parts of the farm but I noticed that there is quite a a bit of decaying leaves on covers of 1000

Highest cover of 2000 here on the wettest paddock. Going to be hard to graze it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

Highest cover of 2000 here on the wettest paddock. Going to be hard to graze it

Cows grazing new reseeds ATM Greengrass. The reseeds are lodged as growth has been good.

See lads, I've taken good advice from here and grazing platform will be fully reseeded by next October!

Dawggone wrote: »
    Cows grazing new reseeds ATM Greengrass. The reseeds are lodged as growth has been good.

See lads, I've taken good advice from here and grazing platform will be fully reseeded by next October!

What sort of varietys you using dawg. Drought must give them a short lifespan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Dawggone

What sort of varietys you using dawg. Drought must give them a short lifespan?

Mix of diploids, triploids and clover.

Grass was 40+ years old!!

Dawggone wrote: »
    Mix of diploids, triploids and clover.

Grass was 40+ years old!!

Tell me about it. Still 25ac here of grass that old.

Advertisement