Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass Measuring

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

I held off aswell bob!

temps here at the moment are too cold for fert, could go with Urea as surely by the time it starts working it will have warmed up. Rightly or wrongly I aint sowing any seeds either. ground being ploughed up is absolutely frozen but in good order which surprised me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭delaval

temps here at the moment are too cold for fert, could go with Urea as surely by the time it starts working it will have warmed up. Rightly or wrongly I aint sowing any seeds either. ground being ploughed up is absolutely frozen but in good order which surprised me

Here in north KK all at barley and beet planting has started also

delaval wrote: »
    Here in north KK all at barley and beet planting has started also

well as usual me doing things backwards im going lifting beet tomorrow. have ground ploughed and ready to till for beet but rain for wednesday and wouldnt be finished before rain so going to leave it for another bit. Beet planted before the 1st of April last year :rolleyes: I havnt even collected my spring wheat seed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

still only 6 degrees this morning

PMU wrote: »
    still only 6 degrees this morning
    Today is brutal cold here, pig of a day:mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Today is brutal cold here, pig of a day:mad::mad:

Same here, cows out milk up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

td5man wrote: »
    Same here, cows out milk up a bit.

Not too bad here. Jeep showing 9 degrees on temp gauge wouldn't be certain of accuracy. Still a strong breeze but no real bitterness. Not what you'd call mild either though.

Not too bad here. Jeep showing 9 degrees on temp gauge wouldn't be certain of accuracy. Still a strong breeze but no real bitterness. Not what you'd call mild either though.
    Jeep showing 9............quad positivly Baltic:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Jeep showing 9............quad positivly Baltic:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Aw poor lamb:D

Aw poor lamb:D

Park the bike and walk you wont be cold then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

What's Mings username on boards? I'm waiting for him to turn up on this thread supporting farmer's right to grass at this time of year :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

a big fan of grass fed dairying but i think one aspect that there is not being looked at is grass dry matter.the general veiw is that if you have enough grass you dont feed any ration but i hold the view that whether the grass is dry or wet should also be taken into account-if grass is wet you should supplement no matter how much grass you have but if you have dry grass you should cut it down. i kept grass to the cows all last year and was never really short but now i think i should have fed the wet days even though i had grass to feed them

Soil temp 5.8 at 6 am, can we dare to hope

Soil temp 6 this am and 6 during day yesterday
    Is spring here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Soil temp 6 this am and 6 during day yesterday
    Is spring here?
    is it raining where you are? read on weather part of boards yesterday 1 lad said it was 52 days sincee temp was above 10 degrees:eek:

whelan1 wrote: »
    is it raining where you are? read on weather part of boards yesterday 1 lad said it was 52 days sincee temp was above 10 degrees:eek:

North KK kind rain at the moment. I expected cows to be unsettled with rain and very very little grass. They are really remarkable animals. They must know there'll loads of grass next week????

North KK kind rain at the moment. I expected cows to be unsettled with rain and very very little grass. They are really remarkable animals. They must know there'll loads of grass next week????

Ours were the same yesterday evening and this morning. A certain stoicism, kind of f' it we'll have to suck this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭PatQfarmer

Was told yesterday that DM of grass could be in 30's! So even if there's not too much of it, the feeding is big. That's why animals are so content on what I think is very little. Then again, what do I know:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,851 ✭✭✭mf240

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Was told yesterday that DM of grass could be in 30's! So even if there's not too much of it, the feeding is big. That's why animals are so content on what I think is very little. Then again, what do I know:rolleyes:

I'd say your spot on

we did a rudimentary test yesterday came up with 34% ..............that could be =/- 3% but feed is dry and cows love dry feed

• Advertisement

we did a rudimentary test yesterday came up with 34% ..............that could be =/- 3% but feed is dry and cows love dry feed

I was going to do a test just for interest before it bucketed down.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bit of growth here today:pac:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

PatQfarmer wrote: »
    Mine wouldnt look at the poison i was putting in front of them at night, they were all lying contented in their cubicles. So theyre out night and day now.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Bit of growth here today:pac:
    I would say there was more growth today than for the past 6 weeks.
    I will not need to feed soya hulls past Sunday. Once growth passes 20 which today was we can start to remove feed.
    From next week we will start to remove nuts slowly.
    I would suggest that anyone who has 5/more covers >500 could do the same.
    We are also going to speed up rotation if this growth continues after monday.

Would anyone care to waager that there'll be balers out by May 1st:cool::cool:

Not a chance around these parts. Would need a months growth to catch up where demand should be.

I would say there was more growth today than for the past 6 weeks.
    I will not need to feed soya hulls past Sunday. Once growth passes 20 which today was we can start to remove feed.
    From next week we will start to remove nuts slowly.
    I would suggest that anyone who has 5/more covers >500 could do the same.
    We are also going to speed up rotation if this growth continues after monday.

could you post a picture of grass, I want to show it to the cows :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

finished the first round today, starting into covers of 900 tomorrow and falling away fairly sharply after that.
    will have to hold them hard for another week then we can start to let the brakes off abit........ once grass keeps growing

measured today and cover have a cover of 94kg/lu or 330kg/ha, cover falls to 73kg/lu if i were to let all stock out. usually like to keep things between 120-140kg so a good bit of grass to find....demand of 19kg a present , so should be able to build some sort of cover over the next week,

growth of 40+ would be nice

Does anyone have a handy picture guide of grass heights/covers? I remember the journal a few years ago had a welly with the cms marked on the side with white paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Kileir

just do it wrote: »
    Does anyone have a handy picture guide of grass heights/covers? I remember the journal a few years ago had a welly with the cms marked on the side with white paint.

How about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Hugh 2

This year has me stumped only been out measuring 3 times this year .
    I just knew there was nothing out there but teagasc man wanted figures .
    Last Sunday was beat all most of the farm measured below 4 cm
    Only 4 fields gave a reading one paddock was just 1 kg per hectare and the average of these.was just 95 kg.
    Farm greening up ok but from a very low base
    What a year

Have to include all calves cows are out night and day since calving (bar 2 days and 5 nights ) giving a demand of 50 but a growth of 1.7 ( last Sunday hope for better result tomorrow )

I haven't read all these posts on this thread as I have only came across it tonight .
    Regards
    Hugh

Advertisement