Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

radiowaves wrote: »
    Where are you getting "just once" from?

Oh, apologies, just glanced at the quote.
    And maybe you don't realise it but featuring each British team for free at least once is more of a guarantee than exists at present.

I agree that ITV do have a tendency to show Man Utd at any given opportunity, over another English club, but they have shared out the live coverage this year so far (what with Man Utd not there).
    What exists at the moment with ITV is that they can show 17 matches live a season (including play-offs). I can't see BT Sports showing as many free live games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

ITV have an obligation to their advertisers - of course they are (like Irish TV) going to show Manchester United whenever they can.
    iseegirls wrote: »
    I can't see BT Sports showing as many free live games.

Then you need to read the quote again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

iseegirls wrote: »
    I agree that ITV do have a tendency to show Man Utd at any given opportunity, over another English club, but they have shared out the live coverage this year so far (what with Man Utd not there).
    What exists at the moment with ITV is that they can show 17 matches live a season (including play-offs). I can't see BT Sports showing as many free live games.

ITV haven't showed arsenal. them & l'pool are in same half of groups, so they've went with l'pool so far.

so have RTE here for the same reason, i'll assume.

do any of think BT will end their partnership with setanta any time soon?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They are tied into it until the end of the 2015-16 season. After that who knows? It has been extraordinarily beneficial to Setanta but I struggle to see what BT is getting out of it. A lot will depend on the upcoming Premier League rights auction and how much money BT are willing to put into it at a time when they are apparently preparing a bid for their own former mobile operation O2. If they were to be blown out of the water by a rival bidder (BeIN Sports or maybe Vodafone) that would be the end of BT Sport I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,105 ✭✭✭batistuta9

that's good to hear anyway (end of '16 season). the reason i asked is i signed up to the 1 year setanta pack deal for €99, thinking is there something to this with BTs CL rights kicking in, would they go alone here, so setanta are making hay basically.

yeah i read that on ceefax or whatever it's called, is it not a discounted deal?
    though BT are very healthy company are they not, will they not be looking to make sure they get these rights off sky or whoever else.
    they're really using them to drive broadband subs, is that right

• Advertisement

batistuta9 wrote: »
    ITV haven't showed arsenal. them & l'pool are in same half of groups, so they've went with l'pool so far.

so have RTE here for the same reason, i'll assume.

Didn't you know, it's only the TV networks' over-reliance on Manchester United that gets people worked up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

icdg wrote: »
    All about protecting attendances in the lower leagues. I think the problems over egged (the Conference played a full programme last night up against a live Premier League game on TV) but it doesn't matter what I think, as long as the FA think it that will continue. That said expect more Premier League than ever before on TV from 2016 onwards.

I'll be very surprised if there is much change in the next TV contract. Despite Charlie Sale of the Mail who is a bit of a spoofer mentioning a new Sunday night slot, there is no way I can see it happening.

The lunchtime package that BT Sport currently has might be tweaked slightly so that it has a few more games. Of course all packages might be tweaked but even if they are I really can't see much difference going forward for the next three year deal than the present 154 games.

As I say expect more games in the next contract period but I expect that to come from additional slots (particularly a much mooted Sunday Night Football slot to get the viewers back away from Spanish football) rather than any showing of games simultaneously.

On another topic, it's FA Cup second round proper weekend this weekend and it appears Setanta Ireland will have a few ties over the weekend.

Only after seeing this post, I just can't see that slot being approved for games. The police would be totally opposed to it as well as the fans of clubs who go home and away to matches. Funny that Setanta have FA Cup ties yet the FA do not list them as an overseas broadcaster.

http://www.thefa.com/thefacup/more/tv

redabbey wrote: »
    Only after seeing this post, I just can't see that slot being approved for games. The police would be totally opposed to it as well as the fans of clubs who go home and away to matches.

The bolded bit made me chuckle :)

Southampton is the longest round trip for Manchester United fans. That match is scheduled for this weekend. What slot has it been hijacked for? :eek:

An extra slot (at least) will almost certainly be made available in the next round. Friday night has also been mooted.

The bolded bit made me chuckle :)

Southampton is the longest round trip for Manchester United fans. That match is scheduled for this weekend. What slot has it been hijacked for? :eek:

An extra slot (at least) will almost certainly be made available in the next round. Friday night has also been mooted.

Yes, I know. Norwich v Liverpool was last year on Easter Sunday with a 12pm ko in Carrow Road. Impossible to get from Liverpool using public transport early enough for the kick off time.

Newcastle v Southampton is the longest commute, again last season matches scheduled for television were inconvenient times for fans.

Sunday night's would really be the most difficult though and as I said I don't think it will happen, but that is just my own opinion and I have often being wrong in the past.

• Advertisement

redabbey wrote: »
    Yes, I know. Norwich v Liverpool was last year on Easter Sunday with a 12pm ko in Carrow Road. Impossible to get from Liverpool using public transport early enough for the kick off time.

Newcastle v Southampton is the longest commute, again last season matches scheduled for television were inconvenient times for fans.

Sunday night's would really be the most difficult though and as I said I don't think it will happen, but that is just my own opinion and I have often being wrong in the past.

I agree that Sunday nights might not happen but one of the reasons will not be because of travelling fan concerns (or it'll be last on the list).

There is talk that the opinions of fan groups are being taken into consideration and that the new match slot will feature clubs close geographically if it is to be Friday or Sunday night.

That doesn't seem practical to me though - Champions League and Europa League weeks will make choices difficult and once picks are made for other packages it'd be a very limited selection left. And then if there are to be quotas applied (and there will need to be quotas) then what you'd be left with might just be Norwich v Liverpool or Southampton v Manchester United :)

One option is to allow it to be flexible so that the slot can be played Friday night or Sunday daytime if European weeks make the selection process a problem or if the pigs flying overhead mean that travelling fan is actually being taken into account.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/538824507390431232

Setanta HD might come to sky after all if premiersports hd comes

FA Cup ties on Setanta for those interested:

Friday 19:45 - Hartlepool v Blyth Spartans (also on BBC Two)
    Saturday 15:00 Sheffield United v Plymouth Argyle (not on UK TV)
    Sunday 14:00 - Wycombe Wanderers v AFC Wimbledon (not on UK TV).

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

ftakeith wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/PremierSportsTV/status/538824507390431232

Setanta HD might come to sky after all if premiersports hd comes

UPC signed an exclusive deal with Setanta for HD for a certain period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭Zardoz

What are Setanta playing at today.
    They are showing Burnley vs Southampton ,who wants to watch that rubbish .
    Setanta are the only tv station in Europe showing that match !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭swoofer

well they are offering a 1 euro deal!!

BT and ESPN sign deal to extend BT's licence to use the ESPN brand and bring back some of ESPN's in house programming that disappeared in August 2013 to the UK & Ireland channel.

http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/bt-sport-and-espn-extend-deal-S11363956012885

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

BT and ESPN sign deal to extend BT's licence to use the ESPN brand and bring back some of ESPN's in house programming that disappeared in August 2013 to the UK & Ireland channel.

http://sport.bt.com/sport-football/news/bt-sport-and-espn-extend-deal-S11363956012885

most of the ESPN content won't increase subs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ftakeith wrote: »
    most of the ESPN content won't increase subs

It wont increase subs but it's content for them to show when there is no live programming and there are people who like those studio based shows that ESPN make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Great to see Pardon The Interuption and Around The Horn return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

On a slightly unrelated note Premier Sports HD will be available in the Summer.

Setanta Sports 1 HD for Irish customers, if they actually manage it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,229 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Sorry if I'm dragging up an old topic, but is there still no way to access the BT and Setanta channels online for Irish customers?

No official way anyway.

They promised a service a while back for satellite customers, but nothing seems to have materialised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Great to see Pardon The Interuption and Around The Horn return.

As long as we get the full versions and not the watered down versions (without clips) that we had for the last year or so before they stopped showing it.

And hopefully we'll get Highly Questionable too.

Any idea when they're starting showing them again by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Captain Don Thorpe

So is there any way to watch the good Europa League games on BT this week or are Irish people condemned to watching the poorer matches in even poorer resolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

the only hd game available legally in ROI is on ITV hd Liverpool V Besiktas

Everton v Young Boys and Celtic v Inter on Setanta Ireland (HD), Liverpool v Bestikas on 3e.

You'd think though, that given the recent events, all parties involved would agree to allow the BT games be shown in ROI. Spurs fans are out of luck at the moment.

• Advertisement

kooga wrote: »
    the only hd game available legally in ROI is on ITV hd Liverpool V Besiktas

Poor choice of words ;)

Many European channels will be showing games and it is quite legal to view these domestically using the relevant viewing cards.

In addition Everton's game is on ITV4 and Setanta and Celtic's game is also on Setanta.

Advertisement