Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

No idea when they'd picked up the rights, I literally only noticed it in the schedule today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

With the Setanta thread closed down tonight I'll post this update list here -
    Setanta fixtures to end of March [Matches Available Without Quotas]

Leicester v Everton [Spurs V West Ham]
    Chelsea v Leicester
    Man City v Stoke
    Southampton v Newcastle [Chelsea v Swansea]
    Aston Villa v Arsenal
    Man United v West Ham
    Liverpool v West Brom
    Southampton v Sunderland [Arsenal v Hull or Crystal Palace v Chelsea]
    West Brom v Crystal Palace [Liverpool v Hull or Sunderland v Arsenal]
    Stoke v West Ham [Arsenal v Burney or Chelsea v QPR]
    Man United v Crystal Palace
    Chelsea v West Brom
    Liverpool v Stoke
    Stoke City v Arsenal
    Burnley v Southampton [Chelsea v Hull or Leicester v Man City]
    Aston Villa v Manchester United
    Everton v Manchester City
    Spurs v Sunderland [Aston Villa v Liverpool or QPR v Man Utd or Swansea v Chelsea]
    Sunderlan v Burnley [Liverpool v West Ham or Man Utd v Leicester]
    Leicester v Crystal Palace [Aston Villa v Chelsea or Man City v Hull]
    Swansea v Man United
    Man United v Sunderland
    Arsenal v West Ham
    Tottenham v Leicester [Newcastle v Arsenal]

Setanta with Quotas
    United - 5
    Liverpool - 2
    Arsenal - 3
    Man City - 2
    Chelsea - 2

.. Realistically only 14/23 games are probably breaking even/making a profit with enforced quotas. I know the relationship with BT and the upcoming CL will help Setanta greatly but you really would expect Setanta to bid much lower the next time the Irish rights come up for tender.

Just look at the games say a FTA broadcaster/Setanta without quotas could broadcast - 22/23 very solid games/profit generating games from United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool & City... the Premier League clamping down on Setanta has been devastating in terms of quality high profile games at 3pm.

You really would have to wonder why UTV, RTÉ, TV3 or TG4 don't go very hard for these rights - absolutely guaranteed viewers.

Imagine if a FTA Irish broadcaster had this sequence of fixtures @3pm - much better then some packages in the UK on BT/sky from an Irish perspective

Spurs V West Ham
    Chelsea v Leicester
    Man City v Stoke
    Chelsea v Swansea
    Aston Villa v Arsenal
    Man United v West Ham
    Liverpool v West Brom
    Arsenal v Hull
    Liverpool v Hull
    Chelsea v QPR
    Chelsea v West Brom
    Liverpool v Stoke
    Stoke City v Arsenal
    Leicester v Man City
    QPR v Man Utd
    Liverpool v West Ham
    Aston Villa v Chelsea
    Swansea v Man United
    Man United v Sunderland
    Arsenal v West Ham
    Newcastle v Arsenal

United - 6
    Arsenal - 5
    Chelsea - 5
    Liverpool - 4
    City 3

Games live on Setanta @ 3pm (Announced) [game available without restriction]

Everton v Southampton [Manchester United v Aston Villa]
    Tottenham v Aston Villa
    Hull v Liverpool
    West Brom v Liverpool

New 3pm game list if not subject to restrictions

Spurs V West Ham
    Chelsea v Leicester
    Man City v Stoke
    Chelsea v Swansea
    Aston Villa v Arsenal
    Man United v West Ham
    Liverpool v West Brom
    Arsenal v Hull
    Liverpool v Hull
    Chelsea v QPR
    Chelsea v West Brom
    Liverpool v Stoke
    Stoke City v Arsenal
    Leicester v Man City
    QPR v Man Utd
    Liverpool v West Ham
    Aston Villa v Chelsea
    Swansea v Man United
    Man United v Sunderland
    Arsenal v West Ham
    Newcastle v Arsenal
    Man United V Aston Villa
    Tottenham v Aston Villa
    Hull v Liverpool
    West Brom v Liverpool

Without Quotas
    Man United - 7
    Liverpool - 6
    Arsenal - 5
    Chelsea - 5
    Man City 3
    Total (to May 1st) - 26/28 games

With Quotas - Setanta
    Man United - 5
    Liverpool - 4
    Arsenal - 3
    Man City - 2
    Chelsea - 2
    Total (to May 1st) - 16/28 games

Restrictions imposed by the Premier League has almost halved the number of games with the big 5 involved - rights could be a major asset to an alternative Irish broadcaster.

Also Setanta on twitter saying they will be broadcasting in HD before the start on next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

irishfeen wrote: »
    Also Setanta on twitter saying they will be broadcasting in HD before the start on next season.

Online player has also been put off till start of next season.
    HD on satellite is well over due at this stage a proper studio for 3PM games would be nice aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Can the bt sports app be used in roi to watch live football?

• Advertisement

Nope, but Setanta have promised an app of their own at some point. Sometime. In the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Just looked at the list for BT Sport Extra - I think it's time to cancel. Just not good enough we cant get this in Rep of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Brian017

Delta2113 wrote: »
    Just looked at the list for BT Sport Extra - I think it's time to cancel. Just not good enough we cant get this in Rep of Ireland.

Is it not behind the red button? I've watched BT Sport Extra a few times

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Sorry -Eircom,Upc don't have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Setanta's Remaining Saturday 3pm Kickoffs.

Apr 16 Everton V Burnley.

Apr 25 West Brom v Liverpool.

May 02 Liverpool v QPR .

May 09 Hull v Burnley.

May 16 Sunderland v Leicester.

• Advertisement

They should have one more game after that, on the 24th, but will only be able to pick very near to the date as Sky (and if they choose to keep a pick, BT - but they didn't last year) must pick first.

When they launch the player do you think they will offer a online only version? No need to subscribe on Sky?

That would be a very good idea, but I wouldn't bet on Setanta to think of it.

Strictly speaking of course you don't need a Sky subscription, you deal direct with Setanta for a subscription and it's not part of a Sky package. You do need to obtain a Sky Digibox if you don't already have one, and a satellite dish of course. Setanta can arrange a Sky viewing card if you don't already have one.

Wrong Thread

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭mike2084

mikeym wrote: »
    Setanta's Remaining Saturday 3pm Kickoffs.

Apr 16 Everton V Burnley.

Apr 25 West Brom v Liverpool.

May 02 Liverpool v QPR .

May 09 Hull v Burnley.

May 16 Sunderland v Leicester.

According to the Sky EPG, Hull v Liverpool is next Saturday's game on Setanta 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,133 ✭✭✭batistuta9

mike2084 wrote: »
    According to the Sky EPG, Hull v Liverpool is next Saturday's game on Setanta 1.

liverpool are playing the FA cup semi final on sunday

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭mike2084

Of course, I forgot that. Silly me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Anyone rang up to cancel lately?

Wondering what kind of deals/offers they are offering coming up to the end of the Premier League season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Batesy wrote: »
    Anyone rang up to cancel lately?

Wondering what kind of deals/offers they are offering coming up to the end of the Premier League season.

Rang them yesterday and they said their subs are going up because of the CL coverage from BT.

They also said the Setanta HD will be live on sat by summer this year - could be bs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Where you ringing to cancel?

I'm thinking of cancelling for the summer anyway but if there was a discount I'd probably keep it on for UFC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

Batesy wrote: »
    Where you ringing to cancel?

I'm thinking of cancelling for the summer anyway but if there was a discount I'd probably keep it on for UFC.

No I owed them a few quid and they rang me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Mallagio wrote: »

They also said the Setanta HD will be live on sat by summer this year - could be bs though.

Its not BS, Premier Sports (Setanta Sports1) is going HD this summer.

mikeym wrote: »
    Its not BS, Premier Sports (Setanta Sports1) is going HD this summer.
    Setanta saying they will be in HD for the start of the Premier League next year so presumably August like TV3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

ok just off the phone

i signed up in Feb for three months at €9.99 a month which would take me up to the end of may. rang today to see when i would give notice to cancel counting back the 30 days etc and i want to make sure i can get the aviva premiership rugby final.

Anyway I need to ring them monday the 27/4/15 at the latest, they have offered me a further three months for €9.99. This would carry me over the summer for june july and august. I would need to ring back at the end of July to renegotiate.

Don't know if it's just me or have Setanta upgraded to a HD studio? Quality looked better than normal for analysis on upc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

just to update, rang this morning to cancel and i was offered 3 months at €9.99 a month to keep my sub on over the summer. i declined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Looks like BT sport 3 is on the way according to Sky and Satellite weekly news forum on digital spy. I wonder will it be part of the BT pack here in the ROI. If not I will cancel my sub.

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Looks like BT sport 3 is on the way according to Sky and Satellite weekly news forum on digital spy. I wonder will it be part of the BT pack here in the ROI. If not I will cancel my sub.

I'd say it will be unless it is a showcase type channel for champions league. I still see them doing a news/showcase channel for the champions league.

I don't see why it wouldn't be - the change in RTE and TV3's Champions League rights to make them non-exclusive seems to have been done with the specific aim of facilitating BT's coverage being available here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

icdg wrote: »
    I don't see why it wouldn't be - the change in RTE and TV3's Champions League rights to make them non-exclusive seems to have been done with the specific aim of facilitating BT's coverage being available here.

I'm confused by your post. Had Sky not previously the exact same rights as BT Sports have for the next three Champions League campaigns. What has changed?

I could of course be missing something, do you think that Setanta has now first choice picks for Ireland. If that is indeed the case I missed the story.

Advertisement