Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

What has changed is that RTE and TV3 can still pick their match but from next season it wont be exclusive as Setanta will also be showing the same match, along with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Are Setanta bringing in a red button with multiple matches or showing them online?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

redabbey wrote: »
    I'm confused by your post. Had Sky not previously the exact same rights as BT Sports have for the next three Champions League campaigns. What has changed.

BT Sport have exclusive UK rights to the Champions League. This is not the exact same as what Sky had, Sky had exclusive UK rights to the Champions League except for the first choice game on a Tuesday, which ITV had exclusive rights to. a subtle but important change.

As I say the big change in ROI is that RTE and TV3'a rights are now explicitly non-exclusive and Setanta will be allowed broadcast the matches they pick. We haven't heard their plans but indications seem to be they will simply piggy back on BT Sport's coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

I can see the viewing of rte/tv3 sky rocketing in the UK for champions league!

Joo0 wrote: »
    I can see the viewing of rte/tv3 sky rocketing in the UK for champions league!

How many though? Anybody who wants to get RTÉ and TV3 will already have them, be that through Saorview or Saorsat, and the cost of getting an Irish subscription wouldn't be worth the hassle especially when a BT subscription is moderate enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Online streaming of the players I'd say. No subscription required to view and English commentary. BEin etc need paid subscriptions for the players

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

icdg wrote: »
    BT Sport have exclusive UK rights to the Champions League. This is not the exact same as what Sky had, Sky had exclusive UK rights to the Champions League except for the first choice game on a Tuesday, which ITV had exclusive rights to. a subtle but important change.

My original post was not clear enough I was only referring to the ROI. Of course I was aware of the change in the UK.
    As I say the big change in ROI is that RTE and TV3'a rights are now explicitly non-exclusive and Setanta will be allowed broadcast the matches they pick. We haven't heard their plans but indications seem to be they will simply piggy back on BT Sport's coverage.

Back to my original question which was about non-exclusive coverage. Perhaps I have missed a press release that has determined exactly what the three broadcasters have got next season for the ROI. All I have read is the press reports after Setanta announced rights for next season, where there is some confusion over whether they have rights to all Champions League matches or whether all Champions League matches will be available with a Setanta subscription through their tie in with BT Sport.

This non-exclusive rights for Ireland that you do think is the case would be a big change for the way UEFA have rewarded right's for the ROI in each of the three year periods since it became possible to watch every Champions League game from the Group Stages onwards then subsequently the round before the group stage with a Sky subscription in the ROI for the last time this season and with Setanta next season with their tie-in with BT Sport.

Again if I have missed a press release that fully explained the situation for the TV rights for next season for the ROI, I apologise for questioning your experienced knowledge.

Again if I have missed a press release that fully explained the situation for the TV rights for next season for the ROI, I apologise for questioning your experienced knowledge.

UEFA never released a press release explaining things fully I'm afraid. Here's one from Setanta where they make clear that they can now show all Tuesday and Wednesday night games:

http://www.setanta.com/ie/setanta-secures-champions-league-and-europa-league/
    Under the deal, the Setanta Sports Pack will show all Tuesday games live, all Wednesday games live and all Thursdays games exclusively live, as well as the finals for both tournaments.
    “To have every live Champions League game on Tuesday and Wednesday and all the Europa League exclusively live on Thursday is a massive addition to our Premier League, FA Cup, Ireland Internationals, Serie A and Bundesliga.

UEFA never released a press release explaining things fully I'm afraid. Here's one from Setanta where they make clear that they can now show all Tuesday and Wednesday night games:

http://www.setanta.com/ie/setanta-secures-champions-league-and-europa-league/

Very ambiguous language used in that press release. The Setanta Sports Pack incorporates the BT Sports channels & ESPN. That press release does not necessarily prove that RTE & TV3 do not have 1st choice on their respective nights and that a Setanta branded channel can show the exact same match as RTE or TV3 channels select. We will know for sure next August unless there is a confirming press release of the exact rights that UEFA have awarded to all three Irish broadcasters before them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Very ambiguous language used in that press release. The Setanta Sports Pack incorporates the BT Sports channels & ESPN. That press release does not necessarily prove that RTE & TV3 do not have 1st choice on their respective nights and that a Setanta branded channel can show the exact same match as RTE or TV3 channels select. We will know for sure next August unless there is a confirming press release of the exact rights that UEFA have awarded to all three Irish broadcasters before them.

It sounds to me that Setanta have all games so it now means RTÉ & TV3 have to choose which matches they broadcast.

• Advertisement

If the words "all" and "every" can be interpreted in more than one way, then all I can say is, each to their own. The only ambiguous langauge is the "the Setanta Sports pack", which in Setanta speak normally means "on BT Sport". However the rights award, per UEFA's documentation, is to Setanta Sports Hibernia SARL, not British Telecommunications Plc.

If the words "all" and "every" can be interpreted in more than one way, then all I can say is, each to their own. The only ambiguous langauge is the "the Setanta Sports pack", which in Setanta speak normally means "on BT Sport". However the rights award, per UEFA's documentation, is to Setanta Sports Hibernia SARL, not British Telecommunications Plc.

Exactly the same listing for the three Irish TV companies is on Uefa's website for the period 2011/12 to 2014/15.

http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Publications/uefaorg/Marketing/01/62/45/02/1624502_DOWNLOAD.pdf

I have no wish to engage in an argument, I just thought I had missed a press release that definitely confirmed that there was some change to the established rights that RTE & TV3 had bought off UEFA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Elmo wrote: »
    It sounds to me that Setanta have all games so it now means RTÉ & TV3 have to choose which matches they broadcast.

TV3 and RTE2 have first choice picks on tuesdays and wednesday like this season

BT Sport and Setanta will have every live game on their channels and the red button on tuesdays and wednesday
    Setanta will have maybe 2nd choice live games like this season

BT Sport and Setanta will have exclusive live Europa league games on thursdays

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Looks like BT sport 3 is on the way according to Sky and Satellite weekly news forum on digital spy. I wonder will it be part of the BT pack here in the ROI. If not I will cancel my sub.

It's up and running,found it last night.Labelled as BT Extra and was showing the Super Classico live from Sth. America.

Isn't that BT Sport Extra, the existing part time/red button channel, rather than a fourth full time channel?

I'd imagine when BT Sport 3 does eventually come, it will show a lot of the European sport presently on both ESPN and BT Sport Extra.

That is correct. BT Sport 3 is currently labelled as Angling TV

ftakeith wrote: »
    TV3 and RTE2 have first choice picks on tuesdays and wednesday like this season

BT Sport and Setanta will have every live game on their channels and the red button on tuesdays and wednesday
    Setanta will have maybe 2nd choice live games like this season

BT Sport and Setanta will have exclusive live Europa league games on thursdays

Many thanks that was exactly the kind of clarification I was seeking for the ROI CL coverage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

I cancelled the 'sky sports 1 only package' from sky today

I just had it for 3 months, I hardly watched any of the live football Eng premier games, I only watched live MUFC games
    The Euro 2016 qualifiers are not worth subscribing to sky sports
    Sky sports will have less live European football next season
    Spanish football coverage on Sky sports is poor in contrast to BT Sport
    Sky's Eng football coverage is better than BT Sport

I did not see the MUFC v West Brom game live as I watched clermont v Toulon live on BT Sport 1
    Sky's Rugby coverage is very poor in contrast to BT Sport

The Setanta pack is better value than sky sports

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭swoofer

what spanish football is on BT sport?

There isn't any.

• Advertisement

swoofer wrote: »
    what spanish football is on BT sport?

I believe the comparison is between Sky's La Liga coverage and the European coverage on BT Sport. That wouldn't be hard especially when BT has James Richardson in their ranks. He was always very good on Channel 4 when they had Serie A. The football weekly posdcast he is a part of on the Guardian is very good.

This article is probably the most detail on the arrival of the Champions League on BT Sport we've gotten so far - the suggestion seems to be that the free to air games will be on "a free version of BT Sport". Sounds like they may be planning a situation similar to Setanta on UPC where they have the basic tier Setanta Ireland as a "taster" channel.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/bt-sports-john-petter-we-want-to-do-justice-to-the-champions-league-10227565.html

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭mike2084

I may be wrong but I think I heard Sky's La Liga contract is up at the end of this season, would BT make a play for these rights?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭yknaa

ftakeith wrote: »
    I cancelled the 'sky sports 1 only package' from sky today

I just had it for 3 months, I hardly watched any of the live football Eng premier games, I only watched live MUFC games
    The Euro 2016 qualifiers are not worth subscribing to sky sports
    Sky sports will have less live European football next season
    Spanish football coverage on Sky sports is poor in contrast to BT Sport
    Sky's Eng football coverage is better than BT Sport

I did not see the MUFC v West Brom game live as I watched clermont v Toulon live on BT Sport 1
    Sky's Rugby coverage is very poor in contrast to BT Sport

The Setanta pack is better value than sky sports

Can't complain with my yearly subscription (with free month) for €199. Plenty live European football along with English premiership and WRC. I do miss the spanish soccer but not so much as to revert back to SKY anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

This article is probably the most detail on the arrival of the Champions League on BT Sport we've gotten so far - the suggestion seems to be that the free to air games will be on "a free version of BT Sport". Sounds like they may be planning a situation similar to Setanta on UPC where they have the basic tier Setanta Ireland as a "taster" channel.

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/bt-sports-john-petter-we-want-to-do-justice-to-the-champions-league-10227565.html

it does mention "free to air" - but it could be on freeview only where they have space in the UK. I doubt they will be able to have it free to air on satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

i would have never said BT sport rugby coverage is better than sky.
    NO WAY

it's one thing sky excel at

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭OldRio

I agree. Skys rugby coverage is excellent.

As for BT. Matt Dawson and Austin Healey. #shudders#
    Even BOD can't make up for those two.

it does mention "free to air" - but it could be on freeview only where they have space in the UK. I doubt they will be able to have it free to air on satellite.

Rights issues would mean it would likely to be FTV (i.e. available to all UK Sky viewers) instead.

As far as BT's coverage of rugby union is concerned, I'm not sure it's better or worse - it is a completely different style to what we are used to. Its a certainly far more informal style than Sky, less montages and soundbites and more fan involvement, studio audiences, informal interviews etc. Rightly or wrongly it is accused of being pro-Premiership Rugby sides - there may be something to this, on the "he who pays the piper calls the tune" basis, and its studio audiences are predominantly English, but its main anchor is Irish as is one of its chief pundits, and its secondary anchor is Welsh.

ITV and ZDF currently show the Champions League FTA so why couldn't BT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

ITV and ZDF currently show the Champions League FTA so why couldn't BT?

Yes but they don't have agreements with Setanta whereby Setanta pay BT a fortune for it to be part of the Setanta Pack.

Advertisement