Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports Extra (TNT/Premier)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭radiowaves

mikeym wrote: »
    I think Setanta want people to stream games online.

They have shown one Liverpool 3pm so far and Bt are showing one live game in December and One live game in January.

Their showing Sunderland V Burnley instead of Liverpool v West Ham on January 31st :mad:

Complete rip off.

"Instead of..." - a strange turn of phraseology. Isn't it true to say that every week they show one game "instead of" others?

And as far as January 31st is concerned it's Manchester United v Leicester "instead of...".
    http://www.setanta.com/ie/setanta-confirm-premier-league-fixtures/

Unfortunately, it appears that thanks to their tie-in with BT, Setanta's picks are now restricted at 3pm so you need to look at the "Setanta Sports Pack" as a whole rather than Setanta in isolation.

(Oh, they are showing Liverpool's game on November 29th "instead of" Manchester United's match as it happens :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

radiowaves wrote: »
    "Instead of..." - a strange turn of phraseology. Isn't it true to say that every week they show one game "instead of" others?

And as far as January 31st is concerned it's Manchester United v Leicester "instead of...".

Unfortunately, it appears that thanks to their tie-in with BT, Setanta's picks are now restricted at 3pm so you need to look at the "Setanta Sports Pack" as a whole rather than Setanta in isolation.

(Oh, they are showing Liverpool's game on November 29th "instead of" Manchester United's match as it happens :) )

I didnt Know that Setanta were showing the Liverpool game on the 29th.

On the Setanta facebook page its says that their showing Sunderland V Burnley on January 31st.

mikeym wrote: »
    On the Setanta facebook page its says that their showing Sunderland V Burnley on January 31st.

Looks like they don't even know what they're showing themselves :D

If they're giving up two Manchester United 3pms in January, as well as Liverpool, they will really start to lose subscribers :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭redabbey

icdg wrote: »
    Setanta fixtures through to the end of January:

I may be reading this wrong, but it also looks like Setanta have also picked up the Irish rights to show a 3pm game in the FA Cup third to fifth rounds proper, because BT Sport should only be showing three games per round (with the BBC showing another two)????

Then again (and I am trying to do the maths) two live games from rounds one and two, three from rounds three to five, and two quarter finals, a semi, and a final would only still add up to 17 games, whereas BT have said they will be showing 25?

I'm confused on this too. The Fa's website does not list any rights holder for Ireland which would seem to preclude Setanta. Yet, if they have not a Saturday 3pm match none of the maths add up with Setanta saying that there will be 4 matches available to subscribers over the weekend of the 3rd and 4th round. I think the 25 games on BT Sport are the 17 listed above plus the potential of 8 replays. 2 each for the 1st and 2nd round and then one from the 3rd to the 6th round.

This is purely speculation from me, the fact that there are Premier League matches on the 1st January is against the rules of the Premier League. I think there is a possibility that there might be no FA cup ties involving Premier League teams on the Saturday of the 3rd round. Especially as the BBC will have non-live goals and action from 8 of the 32 ties being broadcast on the Sunday afternoon at 2pm as part of their new commitment to the Fa cup and their desire to shake up the way the competition has been covered for the last few seasons.

I've been wrong many times in the past so the above could be total rubbish.

The rule I was referring to

http://www.premierleague.com/content...ok-2014-15.pdf Page 156

L.4. League Matches will be played on New Year’s Day unless it falls on a Thursday or Friday and F.A. Cup matches are scheduled to be played on the immediately following Saturday.

1st January 2015 is a Thursday.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I'd forgotten about the replays when doing my maths, of course!

Yeah the Premier League fixtures on New Years Day is an oddity. Particularly when they can schedule TV fixtures at 3pm that day (and indeed there will be one on BT) The Football League are playing New Years Eve instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Joo0

Setanta have picked up some good 3PM games

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Andy454

I have to say, it is some feat by the TV Providers in this region that I'm paying a 160 euros a month to watch the premier league on SKY and BT and I'm left watching a blank screen tonight listening to MU vs Stoke BBC radio 5!!!

Meanwhile the neighbour across the street is watching the match live with some sort of illegal hook up!

In theory, BT could have picked United v Stoke if they wanted. But if they did, the Liverpool fans would have unhappy, and it would have limited their ability to choose United again in that package (they can show each team a maximum of twice in Package G which is mostly midweek/bank holiday games).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Andy454 wrote: »
    Meanwhile the neighbour across the street is watching the match live with some sort of illegal hook up!

It might not have been illegal. If they have a subscription from another country then that's perfectly legal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Zardoz wrote: »
    BT are also bizarrely showing Arsenal vs Southampton tomorrow night when the much more high profile Chelsea vs Tottenham match is on at the same time.
    Traditionally the midweek matches are usually poor picks ,I guess they have to show each team a minimum number of times.

Wouldn't consider that bizarre at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Andy454 wrote: »
    I have to say, it is some feat by the TV Providers in this region that I'm paying a 160 euros a month to watch the premier league on SKY and BT and I'm left watching a blank screen tonight listening to MU vs Stoke BBC radio 5!!!

BT are also bizarrely showing Arsenal vs Southampton tomorrow night when the much more high profile Chelsea vs Tottenham match is on at the same time.
    Traditionally the midweek matches are usually poor picks ,I guess they have to show each team a minimum number of times.
    Sunderland V Burnley on January 31st.
    They'd be better off showing paint drying on a wall instead of that tripe,some of the 3pm matches they have shown this year have been diabolical .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

If you live far a field you can watch a match of your choice as part of your subscribtion,, the rules regarding what TV sports stations can show in England and Ireland is too out of date..

All about protecting attendances in the lower leagues. I think the problems over egged (the Conference played a full programme last night up against a live Premier League game on TV) but it doesn't matter what I think, as long as the FA think it that will continue. That said expect more Premier League than ever before on TV from 2016 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I've seen BTS use the Red Button on a couple of occasions for multi matches, any reason why they didn't tonight?

Arsenal v Southampton is a poor pick? That has much more promise than Chelsea v Spurs.
    flazio wrote: »
    I've seen BTS use the Red Button on a couple of occasions for multi matches, any reason why they didn't tonight?

They couldn't. They can only show a set amount of games per season.

Except on the final day of the season UK Premier League broadcasters have exclusivity on their timeslots and don't show more than one game at once. I am not sure at whose suggestion this was (the broadcasters or the FAPL - more likely the latter) but either way that is what the current contracts provide for. As I say expect more games in the next contract period but I expect that to come from additional slots (particularly a much mooted Sunday Night Football slot to get the viewers back away from Spanish football) rather than any showing of games simultaneously.

On another topic, it's FA Cup second round proper weekend this weekend and it appears Setanta Ireland will have a few ties over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

Its all to do with the amount of first picks. Its dissected in detail over on another forum site but basically as has been said if they pick a team like Utd now it leaves them having to not pick them at a later date. You'd want a degree in maths or sports pyschology to figure out all the combinations.

lertsnim wrote: »
    Arsenal v Southampton is a poor pick? That has much more promise than Chelsea v Spurs .

Indeed Southampton, though it has little or no support in Ireland is third in the league and six points clear of Arsenal. I find people tend to be very subjective about these - if their teams game is not picked for television any pick is automatically a poor pick. The solution would be for all games to be shown, and while that will probably eventually happen it is likely still a good few years away.

Its all to do with the amount of first picks. Its dissected in detail over on another forum site but basically as has been said if they pick a team like Utd now it leaves them having to not pick them at a later date. You'd want a degree in maths or sports pyschology to figure out all the combinations.

As the package in use last night also covers Bank Holidays, Manchester United have already been picked the maximum number of times in this package (to be shown over over the Christmas period).

One might argue that Leicester v Liverpool was the more attractive pick last night but it still disenfranchised large numbers of supporters - particularly as Manchester United were also playing. And they wonder why people are turning to illegal viewing!

And, as pointed out already on this thread, there are fortunes required for sports subscriptions only to find that you still don't get to see all of your team's games.

Whatever the merits (or otherwise) of blocking live TV football at 3pm on Saturdays, this argument doesn't and shouldn't apply to midweek matches where you frequently have not only other Premier League matches at the same time as the live TV game, but usually full programmes in the other divisions too.

radiowaves wrote: »
    As the package in use last night also covers Bank Holidays, Manchester United have already been picked the maximum number of times in this package (to be shown over over the Christmas period).

One might argue that Leicester v Liverpool was the more attractive pick last night but it still disenfranchised large numbers of supporters - particularly as Manchester United were also playing. And they wonder why people are turning to illegal viewing!

And, as pointed out already on this thread, there are fortunes required for sports subscriptions only to find that you still don't get to see all of your team's games.

Whatever the merits (or otherwise) of blocking live TV football at 3pm on Saturdays, this argument doesn't and shouldn't apply to midweek matches where you frequently have not only other Premier League matches at the same time as the live TV game, but usually full programmes in the other divisions too.

A season ticket perhaps is the only solution to watch your team on the TV, but I guess that will never happen in the UK and Ireland anyways.

• Advertisement

A season ticket perhaps is the only solution to watch your team on the TV, but I guess that will never happen in the UK and Ireland anyways.

The only way that can happen is if the collective TV rights deal collapses.

Offering it at the moment would seriously devalue the TV packages the Premier League sells to UK broadcasters where they deliberately do not offer all matches (in part using the archaic Saturday 3pm argument to justify it).

All it is doing is is drive people to look at alternative means of watching their football team and putting money into foreign subscriptions or pirate providers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

Unconfirmed reports

New Champions League deal for next season

Tuesdays
    first choice games setanta sports Ireland

Wednesdays
    RTE2

The other games are live on BT sport

setanta sports Ireland's coverage is much better than TV3, apart of no HD coverage on satellite

That would be a massive blow for TV3 if true...doesn't seem to be any reports yet though. If and when that news comes through (and it should be any day now) we might discuss it in the Champions League thread.

Not too surprising if that is true. We are lucky we kept any FTA coverage at all.

No official news?

Nothing unofficial or official that I can see...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

If true, then it's good that some games are being kept free-to-air.

Wonder will the whole spectacle of the Champions League rapidly decrease next year in the UK with it being exclusively on BT Sports. I'm sure Sky Sports News won't be dedicating much time to it, apart from the main headlines. And with no live games on ITV - interest for some neutrals will fade.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Rizzo the Rat

This was said when BT won the Champions League rights:

"BT has shaken up the UK TV market with BT Sport and it today pledged to make its new matches far more accessible and affordable for fans who wish to enjoy all the action. It also announced it will show a selection of these new matches for free on BT Sport, even to homes that have not signed up to the channels.

The finals of each tournament will be showcased in this fashion along with a selection of top matches from earlier rounds. Fans will also be delighted to know that each participating British team will feature for free at least once each season."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Fans will also be delighted to know that each participating British team will feature for free at least once each season."

Don't know where they got the word 'delighted' from. How would fans of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City be delighted from watching their team possibly 3 or more times (depending on how far they go) to watching them just once for free.

• Advertisement

iseegirls wrote: »
    Don't know where they got the word 'delighted' from. How would fans of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City be delighted from watching their team possibly 3 or more times (depending on how far they go) to watching them just once for free.

Where are you getting "just once" from?
    "Fans will also be delighted to know that each participating British team will feature for free at least once each season."

And maybe you don't realise it but featuring each British team for free at least once is more of a guarantee than exists at present.

Advertisement