Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Penn wrote: »
    Because the console & graphics will quickly fall below the industry standards, and with so many new games being released, it won't take long for people to simply just move on to something else.

I disagree with the 1st part of this but agree with the 2nd part. I believe we're reaching a point in gaming graphics where now, the jumps won't be as drastic or noticeable, look at the Silent Hills Promo/Demo, how much more realistic can it get
    I love Borderlands 2 and consider it one of the best games I've ever played. But my interest in the DLC which was released just gradually waned to the point where I didn't get/play most of them. I'm not even that excited for Borderlands The Pre-Sequel because it just looks like more of the same.

I agree completely with this.
    There's only so many DLC/Expansions you can add before they become Malibu Stacy's new hat.

Agreed
    WoW is different as it's PC. The people who really got into the game and gave it that longevity are by and large a different breed of gamers to most console gamers.

Truly they are, but I couldn't think of another game that had tried this or anything similar.

nesf wrote: »
    I'm trying to point out the nonsense of the phrase. Almost none of the *really successful* games lasted that long, across two generations in terms of consoles usually. WoW being referred to as a "ten year game" is similar to how people talked about Everquest, they're freakishly long lasting games but far from marks to hold other games to.

Indeed, but we're just expecting failure at this rate.
    As you will see, I'm NOT saying it will be a successful 10 year game, far from it.
    But there's no real instances of this being tried before so there's no real evidence it will fail, just speculation.
    We can all look back on this in 5 years and laugh (kind of how I laugh at GTA5) but I actually appreciate the concept/idea a lot more then making Destiny 1-5 in the next 10 years and being hit for €60 every 2 years to restart my character.
    They have a good foundation. I feel making it a 5 year game would be a hell of a lot more realistic, a quick update/new content every 2 months and some proper paid DLC/expanisions every 6 months and they would be laughing

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,213 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cormac... wrote: »
    I disagree with the 1st part of this but agree with the 2nd part. I believe we're reaching a point in gaming graphics where now, the jumps won't be as drastic or noticeable, look at the Silent Hills Promo/Demo, how much more realistic can it get

That's just not true imo, 4k TVs are already on the market and will probably be as common as 1080p is now in ten years time assuming they haven't already been passed out by then (hell even 8k is already in existence). Today's graphics will look pretty primitive in a decade imo, plus there's no telling how gaming will change outside of graphics within that time period.

Isn't the Silent Hill promo pre-rendered anyway or did they come out and say that was in game?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Eve Online, Everquest, Ultima Online... WoW is the undisputed king of the MMO for a lot of reasons, but it's got there by standing on the shoulders of giants.

As already pointed out, a lot of console gamers don't approach their hobby the same way and prefer to have different things to play and they invest time differently in their gaming. The various console platforms acknowledge and work with this - it's one of the reasons the average length of a AAA game is around the 7-8 hour mark and not 15-20 like it used to be 15 years ago (that's not a criticism one way or the other by the way, it's just natural evolution driven by market desires - it's what people want).

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That's just not true imo, 4k TVs are already on the market and will probably be as common as 1080p is now in ten years time assuming they haven't already been passed out by then (hell even 8k is already in existence). Today's graphics will look pretty primitive in a decade imo, plus there's no telling how gaming will change outside of graphics within that time period.

Seriously?
    If you compare the SNES graphics to the PS2 it's a massive difference
    If you compare the PS2 graphics to the PS4 it's a big difference
    If cyborg you were to compare the PS4 graphics to the PS6 it will be a noticeable difference at best.

The human eye can only perceive so many pixels per inch and frames per second, everything after that is designed for flies and birds :D

And leave you peripherals and headsets and VR nonsense out of this thread, all i can say is only time will tell if we're still using a screen and game pad in 10 years :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As you will see, I'm NOT saying it will be a successful 10 year game, far from it.
    But there's no real instances of this being tried before so there's no real evidence it will fail, just speculation.
    Titanfall, most MMOs (which intentionally are set up to be around for ages with far more extensive gear grinds), Borderlands, Borderlands 2, the Joker & Batman PvP game (it had something silly like 200 DLCs for costumes etc.), all the music games (Rockband with DLC songs etc.), Mass Effect 3 and the list can go on.
    We can all look back on this in 5 years and laugh (kind of how I laugh at GTA5) but I actually appreciate the concept/idea a lot more then making Destiny 1-5 in the next 10 years and being hit for €60 every 2 years to restart my character.
    Except your idea of a new DLC / expansion every so often makes people stop playing. See Borderlines2 with only two seasons yet I'm sure many did not buy any; see WoW were Blizzard has acknowledged in public that the number of expansions (it's 5 if memory serves) is actually acting as a show stopper for new players (no players / old content) and this is why they offer the buy a level 90 character.
    They have a good foundation. I feel making it a 5 year game would be a hell of a lot more realistic, a quick update/new content every 2 months and some proper paid DLC/expanisions every 6 months and they would be laughing
    If this game is actively played in a year they should consider themselves very lucky.

Nody wrote: »
    Titanfall, most MMOs (which intentionally are set up to be around for ages with far more extensive gear grinds), Borderlands, Borderlands 2, the Joker & Batman PvP game (it had something silly like 200 DLCs for costumes etc.), all the music games (Rockband with DLC songs etc.), Mass Effect 3 and the list can go on.

I can understand a lot of your points but I don't see what these games are examples of?
    Are they instances of the studio coming out before the game is released and saying "this game will be played for 10 years"? No, not at all.
    I don't think any of them are/were, they were just games that they expected to revitalise interest with DLC at regular intervals.

Anyhow as I said, I'm not saying it will be a success or failure, I'm mearly pointing out it's attempting to do something a bit newer from the get-go. I think a lot of the cynicism is cynicism for it's own sake.

If i get 80 hours out of this, it'll be worth my money (as I consider any enjoyable game that gives me and hour per €1 to be value)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I don't expect failure, I just expect if this game is mega successful it'll look long term more like GTA, CoD etc with a long series of "soft resets" through expansions and not one long ever expanded game like WoW, EvE or Everquest or whatever.

I mean even a serious long-term played game like Civ IV, from a genre that tends to have very long loyalties to particular game iterations, that was only really passed out in the last year or two by it's successor isn't ten years old until next year! A 10 year game prediction is the worst kind of marketing nonsense. Even predicting a long series of CoD style games within the franchise is nonsense, this is extremely rare, most FPS games, even good ones are dead and buried as major players within 12-24 months of release.

I don't expect failure, I just expect if this game is mega successful it'll look long term more like GTA, CoD etc with a long series of "soft resets" through expansions and not one long ever expanded game like WoW, EvE or Everquest or whatever.

I mean even a serious long-term played game like Civ IV, from a genre that tends to have very long loyalties to particular game iterations, that was only really passed out in the last year or two by it's successor isn't ten years old until next year! A 10 year game prediction is the worst kind of marketing nonsense. Even predicting a long series of CoD style games within the franchise is nonsense, this is extremely rare, most FPS games, even good ones are dead and buried as major players within 12-24 months of release.

I agree completely, but at least it's ambitious nonsense ;)

Hopefully it'll be good value for money and not a massive flop

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

Well, if you don't have hours to sink into gaming why are you even considering buying Diablo? The non-MMO of MMO style timesinks.

Thanks for the heads up.;-)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up.;-)

It's good, just a massive timesink. It's definitely not a "8 hours and you feel done" kind of game. :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's good, just a massive timesink. It's definitely not a "8 hours and you feel done" kind of game. :P

You can however play through it once and enjoy it. I really enjoyed it for the story when i played through, and haven't spent a huge amount of time playing it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

Kiith wrote: »
    You can however play through it once and enjoy it. I really enjoyed it for the story when i played through, and haven't spent a huge amount of time playing it since.

That's interesting alright. Did you play the campaign as single player?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Pft, was looking at Gamestop's pre order listing... they had that Armory thing going on for the limited edition but they're out of stock.

Limited editions elsewhere, like on Amazon, but they lack the Armory.

Guess I'll just get the standard one then :pac:

That's interesting alright. Did you play the campaign as single player?

Yeah, played it through on my own, and then a few months later played it again. I always love Blizzard's lore, so wanted to see what happened. Still haven't cleared RoS though :o

There's been no more news about a pc release, right? I was going to pick up an xbox one for this, but the only other thing i want on that console if the Master Chief collection, and that's not out till November. So i think i'll get the PS4 bundle from Smyths.

Kiith wrote: »

It's really not designed for that. I mean the first playthrough difficulty isn't much of a challenge for most people and the four distinct classes do very much ask for separate playthroughs, then finally there is always the question of: "could I do this on Hardcore?" Etc.

It's possible to play through once sure, but it's not a game that will feel complete after that for most people.

Oh absolutely, it's all about the loot/gameplay. The first playthrough is ridiculously easy, and i wish you could have changed the difficulty immediately (think you can now).

I'm just a sucker for Blizzards lore and cutscenes :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I can understand a lot of your points but I don't see what these games are examples of?
    Are they instances of the studio coming out before the game is released and saying "this game will be played for 10 years"? No, not at all.
    I don't think any of them are/were, they were just games that they expected to revitalise interest with DLC at regular intervals.
    That's the exact point though; you can state your game will be relevant for 100 years but how? The answer is expansions (DLC and/or more full blown expansions, Everquest went through at least three game engine changes for example) delivered over time yet no game to date has managed it (with the exceptions mentioned). Even the biggest long term created type of games like Warhammer online (a ton of history, world PvP, forts to be taken in open world PvP and lauded as the "next thing" for PvPers), SWTOR (once again a ton of history, single player game play with every class having unique quest lines giving a ton of replayability) etc. have failed to stay relevant for even 2 years yet you think Bungie will show how make it happen with Destiny and then only argument you keep on giving is "Well they said it would be around for 10 years". That's cute of them but without any factual reasons to back it up (and none has been shown as far as I'm aware) in terms of content roll out map / mechanics / story or beta players raving about it (and people were raving about WoW after trying it in beta across the board; one of the major reasons it was such a success vs. people going and cancelling their pre orders for Destiny) it will simply fail no matter what they state is the expected game life duration.

Heck Ride to Hell which is currently the second worst game on steam EVER was launched to be "part of a multi game, multi platform" experience that would be built on have the universe and number of games on expanded over time. Want to guess what happened with those plans?

you think Bungie will show how make it happen with Destiny

Can you show me where in this thread I have implied I thought that?
    and then only argument you keep on giving is "Well they said it would be around for 10 years".

Can you show me where in this thread I said that?

Edit: Not worth getting into it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

Mass Effect and Halo had a baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Mass Effect and Halo had a baby?

And I can't wait to be the daddy... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,583 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Amazon have dropped the price of the LE to £75, which is probably as low as it's going to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Amazon have dropped the price of the LE to £75, which is probably as low as it's going to get.

Just about to post that. I'm pre ordered and Amazon give you the lowest price...so my SE gone from 48 to 40 :D

Along with two other pre orders

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Thats a really good price for Destiny, don't mind waiting a few days for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

TheDoc wrote: »
    Just about to post that. I'm pre ordered and Amazon give you the lowest price...so my SE gone from 48 to 40 :D

Along with two other pre orders

Does it show it on your order details? Mine is still at £46.13.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭F00t13f4n

I saw these codes on another forum for different mystery objects in Destiny. Apologies if they have been posted before!

There are 17 codes you can redeem that will give some content in the final game (no idea what the content is yet exactly), just log in at the Bungie website, in the Code Redemption section and redeem them.

Warlock: YKA-RJG-MH9
    Hunter: 3DA-P4X-F6A
    Titan: MVD-4N3-NKH
    Rixis: TCN-HCD-TGY
    Old Russia: HDX-ALM-V4K
    Hive: 473-MXR-3X9
    Moon: JMR-LFN-4A3
    Gjallorhorn Launcher: HC3-H44-DKC
    Duke Mk. 44: 69P-KRM-JJA
    The Tower: 69P-VCH-337
    Hive Ogre: 69R-CKD-X7L
    Valley of the Kings: 69R-DDD-FCP
    The Fallen: 69R-F99-AXG
    Red Death: 69R-VL7-J6A
    The Cabal: 69X-DJN-74V
    The Devastated Coast: 6A7-7NP-3X7
    Vex Minotaur: 6A9-DTG-YGN

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Keno wrote: »
    Does it show it on your order details? Mine is still at £46.13.

Yeah it shows your initial price you pre-ordered at. But when you get billed, you are billed the cheapest rate. Part of their pre-order price promise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/promotions/details/popup/AWT354OR7BM1U

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah it shows your initial price you pre-ordered at. But when you get billed, you are billed the cheapest rate. Part of their pre-order price promise.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/promotions/details/popup/AWT354OR7BM1U

I just cancelled it and pre-ordered at the cheaper rate.

Screw the system, man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Pre-ordered on Amazon with PM. Should have it release day for about 54 euro, can't go wrong with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement