Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Madman08

Anyone know if Gamestop doing a midnight release for Destiny ?? I'm suffering from Destiny Withdrawal Syndrome since the Alpha and Beta !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Didn't get to play in the beta, but is it open world or all instanced? I mean do you just start missions from a menu, or can you explore (i.e. Warcraft)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Somebody said they were a few pages back I think, best to ask on the Facebook pages or twitter. It is on the trade 2 games and get it for a tenner though :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Madman08 wrote: »
    Anyone know if Gamestop doing a midnight release for Destiny ?? I'm suffering from Destiny Withdrawal Syndrome since the Alpha and Beta !!

They told me at my local that it depends on pre-orders and wasn't looking that likely, something about being able to digitally download games or something? I don't even know, I don't keep up with all this technical lark these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

Anyone know what's the story with Collectors Editions etc? Don't ever usually buy a more expensive version of a game, but wouldn't mind splashing out for Destiny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Kiith wrote: »
    Didn't get to play in the beta, but is it open world or all instanced? I mean do you just start missions from a menu, or can you explore (i.e. Warcraft)?

invisible walls, everywere

Even though it was the beta, apparently we already played 1/4th of the game itself :/
    was an article from bungie, would get the link but honestly not arsed with this game anymore, the loot and all sounds great, so do the raids
    but I don't have time for raids sadly, everything else just seems like it is open world, but realisticly its not at all.

Earth is very bland, same as the moon from what I have seen.

The entire Russian area on Earth is the only part of earth that is explorable its all the same colour, all areas look the same.
    I expect dlc will be released for more parts of Earth but if its anything like the beta it will be also bland.

I honestly don't know how they spent so much money on this game.

I might be very harsh here but I was expecting more from this game, was let down by the beta
    before someone says its a beta, its practically the final game, maybe more polish to it and balancing but thats it.

Alot more people loved it, some liked it , and some just found it bland like myself.

Loading times are also quite bad from going to the tower to orbit to earth.
    will wait for full release and probably watch a few streams to see if its worth picking up down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Myself, I can't wait for it. Going ton hols with herself the week before release but she's staying out for an extra week as her sisters are flying out (so she says anyway).

It's all gonna be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Can't wait for Destiny. I thoroughly enjoyed the beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Kiith wrote: »

It's open world in a sense your not being railroaded. The game is instanced when you get into certain missions/objectives, where the game instances you and any party members, so you can go through the final stages of a mission. Good idea.

There is also certain strike missions that are fully instanced, they are like your WoW 5man dungeons type style. You go through clearing trash and bosses for loot.

I'm not sure how open world it will be, I think people are being too critical of the area available in Beta, but I thought for a console game, managing multiple live players at the same time, it provided PLENTY of roaming without compromising on quality and FPS.

Time will tell. This will be my first PS4 title after initial launch, and with a WoW expansion in November I'm getting ready for, will say a lot about this game if it can pry me away from WoW

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

One who enjoyed FPS RPGs like Borderlands, Fallout3 and such... would you recommend this game to such players?

I'm still debating on what console to get, XBone or PS4, just to play this game. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭jones

Console wise i think it has to be the PS4 - more powerful hardware and it has some extra exclusive Destiny stuff (nothing too major though in fairness). Each to their own though.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,185 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BeerWolf wrote: »
    One who enjoyed FPS RPGs like Borderlands, Fallout3 and such... would you recommend this game to such players?

I'm still debating on what console to get, XBone or PS4, just to play this game. :o

Going by the Beta, if you liked Borderlands you should like this. It's nothing like fallout though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

jones wrote: »
    Console wise i think it has to be the PS4 - more powerful hardware and it has some extra exclusive Destiny stuff (nothing too major though in fairness). Each to their own though.

I would also recommend getting the PS4 version if you have the choice, primarily because Bungie have stated that they want Destiny to be a 10 year franchise. If this is true, their relationship with PlayStation is likely to continue, meaning not only will you get more from having this first game on PS4, if any future instalments carry over characters and stats etc., you will probably continue to have more exclusive content.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Corvo wrote: »
    Anyone know what's the story with Collectors Editions etc? Don't ever usually buy a more expensive version of a game, but wouldn't mind splashing out for Destiny.

I gave a lot of thought to this and really the collectors edition is not worth the extra, the limited edition on the other hand would be. The limited edition is about twice the normal game price. The collectors edition is a 2nd mortgage, check out the differences online. If a toy ghost matters that much to you :p
    2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Even though it was the beta, apparently we already played 1/4th of the game itself :/

Earth is very bland, same as the moon from what I have seen.

I researched this after I heard it was a 1/4 and found out in actuality it was 1/10 of the story content (4 missions, so there would be 40 missions) but that did not count Explore/Strike/Raid, I took would re-find the article, but I'm lazy.

It's practically Borderlands 2 - Sci Fi edition.
    I'm getting a PS4 for this, you should do likewise IMHO.
    Reason being is this is being touted as a 10 year game, similar to how WoW is still going strong. The level cap in the launch game is 20. But in a few years that'll be rising incrementally to maybe 100.
    Even if you only actually get 4 years out of it, not 10. Ask yourself this, which is what me and my friends asked, "Do you want to start a character profile now on a last-ten console knowing you'll be playing this game on/off for years"???
    jones wrote: »

The beta convinced me to buy a PS4 for the reason I mentioned above (though I still have yet to actually buy it).... But now that i've decided I'm like:
    "Oh look at TLOU Remastered, Evolve, Bloodbourne, Silent Hills, Battlebourne, Uncharted 4 and Far Cry 4..... well isn't that just dany... and damn convenient" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Next Gen Gamer

If I'm to buy one game Destiny or Diablo on PS4 which should I get?

Apples and Oranges really :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

No one really knows yet as no one has been able to play Destiny in full. Wait for reviews and then make up your mind.

Otacon wrote: »
    No one really knows yet as no one has been able to play Destiny in full. Wait for reviews and then make up your mind.

Impatience might get the better of me and I could end up with Diablo. Then again Borderlands was savage so could be persuaded to wait for Destiny.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Cormac... wrote: »
    It's practically Borderlands 2 - Sci Fi edition.
    I'm getting a PS4 for this, you should do likewise IMHO.
    Reason being is this is being touted as a 10 year game, similar to how WoW is still going strong. The level cap in the launch game is 20. But in a few years that'll be rising incrementally to maybe 100.
    Even if you only actually get 4 years out of it, not 10. Ask yourself this, which is what me and my friends asked, "Do you want to start a character profile now on a last-ten console knowing you'll be playing this game on/off for years"???

The beta convinced me to buy a PS4 for the reason I mentioned above (though I still have yet to actually buy it).... But now that i've decided I'm like:
    "Oh look at TLOU Remastered, Evolve, Bloodbourne, Silent Hills, Battlebourne, Uncharted 4 and Far Cry 4..... well isn't that just dany... and damn convenient" ;)
    What is it you think Borderlands is if not sci-fi? :)

I don't see them getting anything remotely close to 10 years out of this game, it's nowhere near interesting enough for that. I really cannot believe I'm seeing people buy this BS and work themselves into this sort of froth over an extraordinarily average looking game like this. Maybe I'm just too cynical, but I've been playing FPS for 16 years and the only comment I had on watching Destiny in the beta was Halo gunplay and silly bouncy physics with a Borderlands style co-op but none of the fun and character of Borderlands. I mean they've even got a fking robot guide again (but everyone's saying it's fine cause it's Peter Dinklage and he's so hot right now), they're clearly a 1 trick pony in Bungie (but they're the masters of it and I admire and respect them for that). There is nothing new or exciting here. Nothing. You're talking about buying new hardware for it? If this game is built with players in mind, it'll have character transfers and if it doesn't have that, then they are only out to gouge you - there is literally zero reasons for not being able to transfer a player's details from one platform to another, zero. Don't let *ANYONE* try and tell you otherwise unless they are 2 different games.

But jebus, the hype and virtual fappage that's going on for this game is getting out of hand. When is the last time anything in this industry rewarded any kind of pre-release excitement? I'm not having a go at anyone, I have no horse in this race and I consider the people on this forum my friends in a sense (or at the very least my co-players :D). If this thing is going to last for years, you can be sure Activision will nickle and dime you all the way.

But can we please get some sense and perspective?

^ Valid points ^
    Shiminay wrote: »
    What is it you think Borderlands is if not sci-fi? :)
    But can we please get some sense and perspective?

(not quoting wall of text)

The way I look at it, I was always gonna be on the fence for a year about making the jump to a next-gen console.
    All it would take would be something to finally push me over the edge.

Also if you read my post there are now 8 good reasons for me to own a PS4, and 7 good games makes it worthwhile for me, but each to their own, many people will buy new hardware just for COD and Fifa - I generally only get 15-20 games each console anyway so we're almost 1/2 way there

Yes, the game is more of the same, and trods ground already trodden, but it is fun and that's enough for me. I really like BL2 (and you know what i mean about the sic-fi comment, it's a quasi-realistic re-skin of mechanics/gamepley in BL2, which I'm ok with)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you can only buy one game what on earth possessed you to sink that much money into a new console so soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Shiminay wrote: »
    There is nothing new or exciting here. Nothing.

I agree and disagree with this. Not in equal measures though, more disagree with it. There may not necessarily be anything new or really innovative/industry-changing in it. That being said, the game does seem like a fantastic blend of elements from different genres blended into one. The style and presentation looks great. The gameplay is fairly solid from having played the Beta. I thought the multiplayer PvP was great and fairly well balanced. And it seems like a game which, while not giving anything new or hugely exciting, has fairly good depth and playability.

Initial trailers and gameplay, to me, did make it just seem like a serious Borderlands. But having played the Beta, I think there's more to the game than just that, and I think it has great potential.

That being said, a few months down the road, I agree there'll be a huge drop-off in people playing it. It's not a 10-year game, not even close, and not even with mounds of DLC/Level Upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I think it's a pretty good game. Think it looks great and plays pretty well. Don't see any issue about being excited about it, but then again I don't play RPGs that often so maybe it's poor in comparison to others.

I am going to be completely Lampponed for this but....
    What makes everyone so sure it won't be a 10 year game?

What did WoW do so right that Destiny is expected to get so wrong?
    I'm not saying it 100% will be a 10 year game, in fact i too reserve many doubts.
    But where's the foundation of the disbelief for this?
    What other games have tried this and failed? Examples?

Look at it this way, each year they release a €20 DLC/Expansion, adding another 10 levels to the level cap, through in a few new strikes/explores/raids/multiplayer maps and modes every 3-6 months?
    Who's to say it won't be a 10 year game based off the PvP alone? Look at Counterstrike, Halo 2 and MW3.

Are you going to play single player every single day of your life? Of course not.
    But I bet by the time the end of the 2nd year comes there'll be many a player with 3 level 30 players of each class.
    Look at what BL2 did right and imagine it (unfortunately) spread over a longer time frame, it could well work and grab you for 40 hours annually (which is more then a generic yearly AAA release)

Again, I'm not standing here saying "This will be a 10 year game"
    But why are we all assuming it won't be, is it just negativity?
    This game can earn enough through DLC/Expansions etc to keep the studio updating it?

And if people feel that keeping X number of employees employed for Y years updating the game and adding new content is "Nickel and diming" then be realistic. The launch title will be worth €60+ for it's balance of single player and multiplayer, if you choose to cough up extra €€€ each year that's up to you. At least it doesn't have a subscription service like WoW

Name some. Still seriously played by a significant number of people (not just a small loyal obsessed fanbase) ten years on from release. And no, series like CoD and Battlefield don't count.

Then remove the MMOs from that list.

nesf wrote: »
    If you can only buy one game what on earth possessed you to sink that much money into a new console so soon?

I don't mean only one game, I mean I won't be buying both Diablo and Destiny..I wouldn't have the hours to sink into them..
    So it'll be one or the other of those titles.
    I never said anything about buying only one title full stop.

nesf wrote: »
    Name some. Still seriously played by a significant number of people (not just a small loyal obsessed fanbase) ten years on from release. And no, series like CoD and Battlefield don't count.

Then remove the MMOs from that list.

Thank you for attending the Introduction to Cormacs post, there is plenty of other content for you to read and discuss a mere few lines beneath

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What did WoW do so right that Destiny is expected to get so wrong?
    I'm not saying it 100% will be a 10 year game, in fact i too reserve many doubts.
    But where's the foundation of the disbelief for this?
    What other games have tried this and failed? Examples?

Look at it this way, each year they release a €20 DLC/Expansion, adding another 10 levels to the level cap, through in a few new strikes/explores/raids/multiplayer maps and modes every 3-6 months?
    Who's to say it won't be a 10 year game based off the PvP alone? Look at Counterstrike, Halo 2 and MW3.

Are you going to play single player every single day of your life? Of course not.
    But I bet by the time the end of the 2nd year comes there'll be many a player with 3 level 30 players of each class.
    Look at what BL2 did right and imagine it (unfortunately) spread over a longer time frame, it could well work and grab you for 40 hours annually (which is more then a generic yearly AAA release)

Again, I'm not standing here saying "This will be a 10 year game"
    But why are we all assuming it won't be, is it just negativity?
    This game can earn enough through DLC/Expansions etc to keep the studio updating it?

And if people feel that keeping X number of employees employed for Y years updating the game and adding new content is "Nickel and diming" then be realistic. The launch title will be worth €60+ for it's balance of single player and multiplayer, if you choose to cough up extra €€€ each year that's up to you. At least it doesn't have a subscription service like WoW

Because the console & graphics will quickly fall below the industry standards, and with so many new games being released, it won't take long for people to simply just move on to something else. I love Borderlands 2 and consider it one of the best games I've ever played. But my interest in the DLC which was released just gradually waned to the point where I didn't get/play most of them. I'm not even that excited for Borderlands The Pre-Sequel because it just looks like more of the same.

There's only so many DLC/Expansions you can add before they become Malibu Stacy's new hat. WoW is different as it's PC. The people who really got into the game and gave it that longevity are by and large a different breed of gamers to most console gamers.

Thank you for attending the Introduction to Cormacs post, there is plenty of other content for you to read and discuss a mere few lines beneath

I'm trying to point out the nonsense of the phrase. Almost none of the *really successful* games lasted that long, across two generations in terms of consoles usually. WoW being referred to as a "ten year game" is similar to how people talked about Everquest, they're freakishly long lasting games but far from marks to hold other games to.

• Advertisement

I don't mean only one game, I mean I won't be buying both Diablo and Destiny..I wouldn't have the hours to sink into them..
    So it'll be one or the other of those titles.
    I never said anything about buying only one title full stop.

Well, if you don't have hours to sink into gaming why are you even considering buying Diablo? The non-MMO of MMO style timesinks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement