Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destiny (Bungie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭bugs

Tried Crota on hard at the weekend with a bunch of useful americans, 4 titans and 2 hunters, so perfect for strategies involving invisibility and bubbles.

The strategy is quite simple and quite effective/easy to do. However, the fight is so riddled with bugs and glitches that completing it is a real chore.
    Without the problems it would be a cakewalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

We've been having awful trouble trying to kill Crota,between him lagging all over the shop along with the swordbearer and he keeps going to the right.id nearly have to do an hour of solid glimmer farming to get heavy ammo synths .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Spent about 30 minutes farming glimmer in the Gatekeeper checkpoint on VOG this weekend, pushing it past 20k. Went into the Tower and the gun guy was selling blue fusions which I need for two Pocket Infinity bounties. Bought 9 of them. Glimmer down to 325. Back farming glimmer again.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

We've been having awful trouble trying to kill Crota, keeps going to the right.id nearly have to do an hour of solid glimmer farming to get heavy ammo synths .

If you have an ice breaker there's a glitch you can use to get heavy ammo. Before touching the crystal empty all your primary and heavy ammo out (no land beyond is handy for this as it has bugger all bullets) then switch your special to ice breaker. Every kill you get from the acolytes and knights will result in a heavy ammo drop. I tried it there on my own and it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Bohrio wrote: »
    Umm, thats interesting

I find the bridge more difficult as it requires everyone to know what they are doing (or use the sword) and it is hard for people to stay alive (specially randoms), I mean, Gerard did the bridge the other day on his own (we were only 4) but it was a lot of hard work (not everyone would be able to do this alone) he was pretty impressive killing everything on his own

Crota "just" requires a good swordbearer and one more person to tell everyone what to do... not saying it is easy though it just requires a bit of practice.

Have you finished Crota? It seems simple enough but you can't make even the smallest of mistakes. We've barely wiped on the bridge at all during our 3 runs but killing Crota 3 times took an obscene amount of playtime, however the 3rd kill was very soon after our 2nd so we think we have it down now. We've a fairly solid team so I suppose the bridge is fine for us as we can rely on everyone, Crota was largely a matter of finding the right strategy then getting our sword guys trained up, still quite difficult. From what I've read on reddit most people aren't even getting past Crota (a good thing imo). Also on the bridge part you can 'clutch' it if somebody ****s up, by killing two swordbearers with one sword, Crota really leaves room for no mistakes.

Also the swordbearer running off on Crota isn't a 'glitch', i've seen people claim that. There's no reason for him to run towards you if everyone's sitting on the ledge, its a bit unlucky if you can't see him but its not a glitch. Its somewhat buggy but not as much as people claim, in a silly amount of hours on Crota I've seen the sword disappear twice in total.

• Advertisement

You can still solo the Abyss and cheese the bridge. I prefer not to but don't always have a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,858 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

AdamD wrote: »
    Have you finished Crota? It seems simple enough but you can't make even the smallest of mistakes. We've barely wiped on the bridge at all during our 3 runs but killing Crota 3 times took an obscene amount of playtime, however the 3rd kill was very soon after our 2nd so we think we have it down now. We've a fairly solid team so I suppose the bridge is fine for us as we can rely on everyone, Crota was largely a matter of finding the right strategy then getting our sword guys trained up, still quite difficult. From what I've read on reddit most people aren't even getting past Crota (a good thing imo). Also on the bridge part you can 'clutch' it if somebody ****s up, by killing two swordbearers with one sword, Crota really leaves room for no mistakes.

Also the swordbearer running off on Crota isn't a 'glitch', i've seen people claim that. There's no reason for him to run towards you if everyone's sitting on the ledge, its a bit unlucky if you can't see him but its not a glitch. Its somewhat buggy but not as much as people claim, in a silly amount of hours on Crota I've seen the sword disappear twice in total.

We were doing it the other day and the sword disappeared 4 times in a row. Also Crota shield refilling as he started to kneel down was a pain.

Anyone on for doing VoG normal later? I think I have the final checkpoint but I'm happy to do the whole raid (think I might have missed the first chest too) maybe about 7.30 or 8

I'd be happy to go through from the start, but will join for the end either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭littlemac1980

I'd be happy to go through from the start, but will join for the end either way.

Cool - I'd say the best bet is to aim for a full run for now and see who else is interested. I'll look you up about 7.30 so.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

wes wrote: »
    Hopefully it doesn't kick us back to start after killing the Ogres like last time. That was so annoying.

That was what really set me off on one alright... :-/

I guess there's no point in doing Normal Mode 1st so?
    I mean we should be ok for the Abyss and Bridge
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    If you have an ice breaker there's a glitch you can use to get heavy ammo. Before touching the crystal empty all your primary and heavy ammo out (no land beyond is handy for this as it has bugger all bullets) then switch your special to ice breaker. Every kill you get from the acolytes and knights will result in a heavy ammo drop. I tried it there on my own and it works.

Must try this.
    Lack of patience to do even further glimmer farming (after spending so much upgrading armour and weapons in readiness for hard mode) has left me with a handful of ammo synths and no desire to farm to but more

• Advertisement

Xur will be selling synths on Friday I think, just use every spare strange coin you've got on them, much better than spending glimmer. You get 9 coins from a weekly which only takes a few minutes and 9 coins = 45 synths

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Xur will be selling synths on Friday I think, just use every spare strange coin you've got on them, much better than spending glimmer. You get 9 coins from a weekly which only takes a few minutes and 9 coins = 45 synths

Is there a difference between the synths sold by Xur and the ones sold by the gunsmith?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Cormac... wrote: »
    That was what really set me off on one alright... :-/

I guess there's no point in doing Normal Mode 1st so?
    I mean we should be ok for the Abyss and Bridge

The checkpoints are shared apparently between Normal and hard now, so if we get stuck at Crota, can switch to Normal and finish him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I did it this weekend on all my 3 characters. It was very glitchy at times, but in the end, once we found a system we were comfortable with, we did it quickly enough. It took us over 1 h to get it right, then we switched to our second characters and did it on our first try, for my third run I did it with a new team and we finished it on our second or third attempt, however, said this, we did have a very good swordbearer on our first 2 (it was him joining and got both done within 15 minutes) and a pretty decent one on our third run.

We use the middle top strategy, but two different variants, on the first two we use a hunter with invisibility jumping to crota from the middle platform while a titan would open a shield on the left side (where crota runs to), this tricks boomers and crota into firing at him (inside his bubble) allowing the hunter to sneak in (invisible). That was a very successful strategy but it does require a pretty decent swordbearer.

The third time we attacked crota using the right side of the wall again with a hunter with invisibility (as our first two attempts hunter would crouch to go invisible, use the sword, drop it, stab him, then attack him again etc), no need for a titan bubble this time although, after the ogres we decided to open the shield (this time on the right side) to distract the boomers (as on our first attempt, after the ogres, our SB got killed by one of them).

I dont think anyone wants me to go into details but basically all the pressure is on the SB (of course we had to coordinate when to leave the top middle and who would stay, etc) but for the most part it was very straight forward.

Cool - I'd say the best bet is to aim for a full run for now and see who else is interested. I'll look you up about 7.30 so.
    Sounds good to me.

I did it this weekend on all my 3 characters. It was very glitchy at times, but in the end, once we found a system we were comfortable with, we did it quickly enough. It took us over 1 h to get it right, then we switched to our second characters and did it on our first try, for my third run I did it with a new team and we finished it on our second or third attempt, however, said this, we did have a very good swordbearer on our first 2 (it was him joining and got both done within 15 minutes) and a pretty decent one on our third run.

We use the middle top strategy, but two different variants, on the first two we use a hunter with invisibility jumping to crota from the middle platform while a titan would open a shield on the left side (where crota runs to), this tricks boomers and crota into firing at him (inside his bubble) allowing the hunter to sneak in (invisible). That was a very successful strategy but it does require a pretty decent swordbearer.

The third time we attacked crota using the right side of the wall again with a hunter with invisibility (as our first two attempts hunter would crouch to go invisible, use the sword, drop it, stab him, then attack him again etc), no need for a titan bubble this time although, after the ogres we decided to open the shield (this time on the right side) to distract the boomers (as on our first attempt, after the ogres, our SB got killed by one of them).

I dont think anyone wants me to go into details but basically all the pressure is on the SB (of course we had to coordinate when to leave the top middle and who would stay, etc) but for the most part it was very straight forward.
    All of our runs were of the drop the sword stab him variety. Once you get the strat down its all on the sword bearer, I still think its far more difficult than The Bridge. I suppose you need 1 very good player to do Crota and the rest just need to not **** up whereas The Bridge everyone needs to be somewhat decent so harder to carry someone who's fond of dying.

My love of dying goes beyond mere fondness

All of our runs were of the drop the sword stab him variety. Once you get the strat down its all on the sword bearer, I still think its far more difficult than The Bridge. I suppose you need 1 very good player to do Crota and the rest just need to not **** up whereas The Bridge everyone needs to be somewhat decent so harder to carry someone who's fond of dying.

You are right, at the bridge, even if 5 people f...k it up you can still attempt to solo it but in crota, everyone needs to stay alive and nobody can die (I mean they can die but it will handicap the rest greatly), this is what makes is so difficult, also, there is a lot of responsibility on the SB.

At the same time, coordination and timing between everyone is paramount when killing Crota, dont get me wrong, It took me hours to get it right, we had to wipe many times as as soon as 1 person made a mistake the game was, in most cases, over. It is time consuming this is why I think finding a team that you play every week is so important

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Looking for a little advice.

I'm starting to play Destiny a little more regularly now after a good break. I'm level 31 and only have one character. Plus I've only done the new raid once.

If I want to start heading to level 32 what is the best path. Should I just keep doing the raid each week and hope for the new armour to drop? I have a ton of Ascendant shards right now. Are they still the upgrade material for new armour?

What's the story with Eris bounties? Do I really need to level her up? What's the advantage?

Looking for a little advice.

I'm starting to play Destiny a little more regularly now after a good break. I'm level 31 and only have one character. Plus I've only done the new raid once.

If I want to start heading to level 32 what is the best path. Should I just keep doing the raid each week and hope for the new armour to drop? I have a ton of Ascendant shards right now. Are they still the upgrade material for new armour?

What's the story with Eris bounties? Do I really need to level her up? What's the advantage?

Do Crotas end each week in full (normal mode)
    Level Eris to rank 4 (radiant shards are sparse, so swapping radiant energy and black wax idols for shards is helpful)
    If you're still stuck at 31 when the next iron banner rolls around, see if IB has a light36 piece u need as these can upgraded with ascent shards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭thebag89

Right just need the heavy machine gun, two helmets and the Crux of Crota

thebag89 wrote: »
    Right just need the heavy machine gun, two helmets and the Crux of Crota

What? I can't believe you dont have the crux yet... that's just unbelievable, after all, you have been playing it on hard for almost 1 week! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

About to jump on for the first time properly in 2 weeks, any xb1 folks around that need to do the weekly and nightfall before tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

first time doing VoG, went to the Bungie forums and got 6 together. They were all speaking German/Dutch, eventually understood some things they were saying. Took about 20 attempts to defeat the Templar and after 3 hours we reached the gargon loot and finished there...didn't think it would be that difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

first time doing VoG, went to the Bungie forums and got 6 together. They were all speaking German/Dutch, eventually understood some things they were saying. Took about 20 attempts to defeat the Templar and after 3 hours we reached the gargon loot and finished there...didn't think it would be that difficult!

It's alot easier when everyone is speaking the same language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭MerryDespot

To Gerard, TitanGerm, CableGuyIE and SteveDPirate - cheers for sherpa-ing me through NM Croata's End - and sorry that our third attempt wasn't coming off. I got kicked with 'pardon our dust' in the end.

Still ... Song of Ir Yut - not to be sniffed at! Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

To Gerard, TitanGerm, CableGuyIE and SteveDPirate - cheers for sherpa-ing me through NM Croata's End - and sorry that our third attempt wasn't coming off. I got kicked with 'pardon our dust' in the end.

Still ... Song of Ir Yut - not to be sniffed at! Thanks folks.

Hey I was just a passenger as well.

Anyway thanks to all of the above too.

Also thanks to Bandit, Itchy (that run through the abyss was brilliant glad I got to see it, lucky I was dead) Baitin and Manad.

For myself it wasn't a complete waste even if I only got 2 shards for finishing the raid we started again and I managed to get abyss defiant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭Calvin

It's alot easier when everyone is speaking the same language.

True that! They had some English, and I had a few German basics so it was decent. Will hopefully get to finish VoG tomorrow! All I've gotten so far are ascendant shards and energy as well as some legendary sniper

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Mcsirl

Hey I was just a passenger as well.

Anyway thanks to all of the above too.

Also thanks to Bandit, Itchy (that run through the abyss was brilliant glad I got to see it, lucky I was dead) Baitin and Manad.

For myself it wasn't a complete waste even if I only got 2 shards for finishing the raid we started again and I managed to get abyss defiant.

Did you get Abyss Defiant from the normal raid ?

• Advertisement

What? I can't believe you dont have the crux yet... that's just unbelievable, after all, you have been playing it on hard for almost 1 week! lol

I heard you only start getting the chance of it dropping after completing Crota on hard 4 times. Might be true and might be just made up.

Completed HM for the first time yesterday. Was pretty easy in the end we had a good sword guy. Got the scout rifle and the Titan Helmet.

Thought I had gotten two vexes from VOG on Sunday. I hadn't. I got. A vex, a VOC, 2 snipers, a corrective measures and the chest plate. Can all that drop in one run? Really need to stop drinking when playing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement