Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 28th April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

fletch wrote: »
    Did Not Finish

Ah I see.
    Well that's unfortunate.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

I enjoyed the run last night despite the congestion at the start. Really it was a minor inconvenience and I still managed a PB. Unfortunately the results have given my clock time and no split so there must have been something wrong with my chip. I'll just have to go out and set another PB to correct the google record.

I'd have no problem running this again next year. Hopefully they'll drop the cost to draw in a few more since it didn't sell out.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Just saw on the news that they are reporting a turnout of 7000.

Was it on TV news?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

AdrianII wrote: »
    Finished on 46:46

I shared 932nd place with you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Have to say I really enjoyed it. My 1st ever 10k (or distance race of any kind....or race of any kind since school sports 15 years ago :/).
    Managed in 56:07 which since I could barely run 3k a month ago im delighted with :pac:
    I actually enjoyed most of the turns since they broke things up nicely even though I did get caught in traffic more then once. Will be doing it next year again :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Anyone know anyway to get pictures from the race? Seen many photographs out on the course.

Came across 3 albums, all but one are pretty much pictures of yellows streams!

www.independent.ie/photos/samsung-dublin-night-run-29228610.html

http://www.racepix.com/Samsung-Night-Run/racephotos/874/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chedyus/sets/72157633374343916/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Don't wear a yellow top next time....you'll be easier to spot in photos ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

Well for my first race, I have to say I had a ball! I was delighted with my 50' 40 sec time, bit congested in parts but overall very well organised and the marshals were great.

Can anyone tell me what the split time means on the results? I've done a google and it's still no cleared to me.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Can anyone tell me what the split time means on the results? I've done a google and it's still no cleared to me.

Thanks!

I make it that the split time is your first 5k time.

I think it was as you passed the right side of the finish line before crossing the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I enjoyed the race last night and the stewards were great however I did feel that they were too many turns and having roads split made them too narrow and caused lots of congestion.

Going around some bends I almost had to walk sometimes to avoid collisions.

Also the start system needs revamping. I couldn't get into my pen as they were closed off,and had to eventually jump the barrier.

Anyhow, it was a great event with a great atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Just remembered - I thought the 30 second silence for Boston before the start was a nice touch.

Pity that not everybody heard the announcement though. There was a massive cheer when the whistle blew to start the silence. A group of lads obviously thought the race had started :rolleyes:

vitani wrote: »
    Just remembered - I thought the 30 second silence for Boston before the start was a nice touch.

Pity that not everybody heard the announcement though. There was a massive cheer when the whistle blew to start the silence. A group of lads obviously thought the race had started :rolleyes:

Have to defend people here, I was at the back and we could only hear whistle and thought it was the race starting.

PA system could not be heard at the back so we had no idea. Only found out about it afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

murpho999 wrote: »
    Have to defend people here, I was at the back and we could only hear whistle and thought it was the race starting.

PA system could not be heard at the back so we had no idea. Only found out about it afterwards.

I can understand that - it's more the situation I was eyerolling at rather than the people themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭troy

So-so on this one for me.

On the plus side:
    • Decent Organisation - Course management, marshals, etc.
    • Atmosphere/Views
    • Funky T-Shirt

On the negative side:
    • Too many switch backs and turns. The last 2/3k were ridiculous. Seemed like they were struggling to get the 10k in
    • Runner Traffic. I was in the first pen and still for the first mile I was running around fun runners. I know this is a difficult one for organisers. Are you meant to have someone on the gate saying you don't look like a 45 min runner to me?
    • The end of the race was a pain. Filtered down into a lane three people wide. All I want is a drink of water and I have to wade through traffic for half a mile and over a bridge to get a bottle of Powerade.

As for race distance. My Garmin had it at 6.31 miles, 10.15 Km. So close enough considering not running the racing line all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

gigtown wrote: »
    Was it on TV news?

Yes the morning news on 3E, they were taking the figure from the front page of the times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

Just saw on the news that they are reporting a turnout of 7000.

Spotted that now. Looks like they sold around 6600 tickets (based on the precisiontiming site - search by bib number). There are a lot of bib numbers with names that never registered a time. I guess that would be a mix of did not show and did not finish and chips that didn't register. God knows what it would have been like though if they had of got 10,000 people to register!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭mush500

Really enjoyed this race- some of the criticism must have been taken on board from last year. Great atmosphere and marshalling was great. Ended up coming in 51.04 and new PB by a couple of mins- annoyed to miss the min mark by 4secs and think sub 50 could have been a possibility but the congestion for the first 2km and some of the final stretches probably played a part (although did run a negative split).

I think this event could be even better next year and things like slightly more facilities at start line and more organisation of flow of finishers would really turn in to a top event. I think the twists break the run up alot in a good way but it was overdone in the second 5km and if they could put a few more straights in the route it would be much improved.

As is the case with all of these events and something I suppose that can't be dealt with it easily, is people starting in the wrong pens. Spent most of o'connell st ducking and diving past others and was nearly taken out of it by a girl pulling off out of breath at 1.5k. I suppose its just par for the course at these events, and I knew it would be the case but very frustrating all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Heliotrope

Was initially put off by price and negative feedback but with a few friends already signed up and my love for running later rather than earlier I gave it a bash.

I felt it was a good race on a flat course with great weather conditions (love a bit of light drizzle on a run!). Always a treat to run by such familiar landmarks (GPO, O'Connell St., etc.) with supportive crowds and terrific volunteers. Was prepared for lots of sharp turns and took them carefully considering the road surface was quite slippy (feet almost went a couple of times). Could have done with some water closer to the start rather than medals. I felt a bit silly with the medal anyway.

Probably the most congested race I've ever experienced, even as late as 7-8km there were bottlenecks, so glad they were a few thousand off the full quota.

Overall I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

They should consider changing the last 3k of route, or switch to an 8k.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Really enjoyed last night, but do have to raise some good and bad points.

Good - A new PB for the distance, just over 51 minutes. Great support from to finish. A great vibe in the pens at the start (dispite being crammed in)

Bad - To congested, from start to finish felt stride being interupted due to the huge number, glad they didn't get the amount expected. No many corners/sharp turns. No toilets at the bag drop. Allot of waiting around in the cold and wet, both at the start and finish.

Finally a comment on the distance, my GPS also read over, by about 250 metres. I know a few pointed out all the turns and back tracking on the course could have added. However, I had an average pace of 4:59/Km, and the time taken on both my GPS and Chip time were identical, just over the 51 minutes. So feeling slightly robbed of a potential official sub 50:00. I would wonder in the changes published in the hand book to the route, compared to the original planned route were measured accurately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

Just wondering if anyone using a Garmin had any problems getting a satellite lock at the start? Using a 910xt, has worked flawlessly up to now. Couldn't get a signal at the start, tried restarting a few times but no joy, eventually picked it up halfway up O'Connell street, no major problem, I was panicking that I couldn't pace myself with it from the start but given the congestion that wasn't a problem, but it means the run is short by approx. 300m according to my Garmin stats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

irish-stew wrote: »

Finally a comment on the distance, my GPS also read over, by about 250 metres. I know a few pointed out all the turns and back tracking on the course could have added. However, I had an average pace of 4:59/Km, and the time taken on both my GPS and Chip time were identical, just over the 51 minutes. So feeling slightly robbed of a potential official sub 50:00. I would wonder in the changes published in the hand book to the route, compared to the original planned route were measured accurately.

Some other people had it well under the 10k, therefore I would conclude the distance as correct and there were GPS problems on the route. Certainly the times of people seem to be about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Statler wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone using a Garmin had any problems getting a satellite lock at the start?

Yep, had the same issue, never even considered it beforehand, but when I tried to get myself set up it spent an age trying to locate a satellite !!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,146 ✭✭✭plodder

irish-stew wrote: »
    Really enjoyed last night, but do have to raise some good and bad points.

Good - A new PB for the distance, just over 51 minutes. Great support from to finish. A great vibe in the pens at the start (dispite being crammed in)

Bad - To congested, from start to finish felt stride being interupted due to the huge number, glad they didn't get the amount expected. No many corners/sharp turns. No toilets at the bag drop. Allot of waiting around in the cold and wet, both at the start and finish.

GPS time is very accurate, but you can't judge the accuracy of a course with a GPS watch. They're just not accurate enough for distance measurement. The error will always be worse in builtup areas too due to reflections off buildings and a less clear view of the sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Statler wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone using a Garmin had any problems getting a satellite lock at the start? Using a 910xt, has worked flawlessly up to now. Couldn't get a signal at the start, tried restarting a few times but no joy, eventually picked it up halfway up O'Connell street, no major problem, I was panicking that I couldn't pace myself with it from the start but given the congestion that wasn't a problem, but it means the run is short by approx. 300m according to my Garmin stats...

I had mine switched on long before the start and joining the pens, and it locked straight away. It did lose the signal once in the pens a couple of times, but guessing this was due to be crammed in. Stuck arm up in the air and it quickly returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noodles55

I use a garmin too and lost satellite loads of times in the pen. I couldn't get a signal also until I got to O Connell street too

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tEtR1s

According to the booklet, from Tuesday afternoon, the 30th April, you will also be able to access a 10 second video of when you crossed the finish line again by using your race number through the race website.
    Should be interesting....

tEtR1s wrote: »
    According to the booklet, from Tuesday afternoon, the 30th April, you will also be able to access a 10 second video of when you crossed the finish line again by using your race number through the race website.
    Should be interesting....

Last year this was a disaster as they had the camera at ground level and people stood in front of the camera.:rolleyes:

This year: mine is just up. Camera is higher. Video is just a whizz of unrecognisable Samsung tops going by a narrow lensed camera. Waste of time.

I don't know why they bother.

Just put a camera above the finish, facing down the straight and show your last 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

murpho999 wrote: »
    Last year this was a disaster as they had the camera at ground level and people stood in front of t he camera.:rolleyes:

This year: mine is just up. Camera is higher. Video is just a whizz of unrecognisable Samsung tops going by a narrow lensed camera. Waste of time.

I don't know why they bother.

Just put a camera above the finish, facing down the straight and show your last 10 seconds.

:D nice video for me too ... at least I recognized my shoes and socks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭crisco10

haha. what a waste of time, just got a glimpse of me stopping my watch.

agree with earlier suggestion, why not put a wide lens camera pointing down the home straight?

Advertisement