Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 28th April

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

I'm parked here: http://goo.gl/maps/TW8fy On Sir John Rogerson's Quay. There is also council parking on the side streets off of here. There was loads of spots here at 18.30 when I parked.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Best of luck everyone! Lets hope the rain stays away :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭crisco10

just in! very busy race but all seemed to go well! good stewards!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

an enjoyable, well marshaled race - lots of competitors, must top last year anyway.
    well done all.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

Anyone know the story with official results?

Said they'd be up on the site immediately but can't find them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Really enjoyed that. Fair play to all the good natured stewards - are they volunteers? Any idea where we can get the race times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

this was much improved on last year.route was actual better, start and finish area's better located. credit where credit is due. will be back (provided they dont raise the price again!)

Tusky, a lot of the volunteers are club runners themselves, I know my club sent about 20 people to help steward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

+1 for great stewarding, vocal but good natured, just what you want.

Really enjoyed that, jammers for most of the way but I think that helped pace me, do a pb - yay :D

I'll be back if they run it again :)

No sign of times on the web site :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

statss wrote: »
    Tusky, a lot of the volunteers are club runners themselves, I know my club sent about 20 people to help steward.

Yep all the Dublin clubs had different sections of the route to Marshall. I was out there myself at 4.5k just before the Becket bridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

57 min 46.2 seconds. Not as fast as I wanted but for my first race I'm happy to be under the one hour mark.

I also learnt a few valuable lessons. Overall I'm happy.

Just out of curiosity I was using a Polar RS300 and got 10.3 km, a guy beside me got the same in his iPhone. The only thing I can think of is I did 300 metres of weaving between people. What distance did other people come up with.

Finally massive thanks to the random people on the street cheering us on, it's amazing the difference it can make.

Phibsboro wrote: »

Really enjoyed that, jammers for most of the way but I think that helped pace me, do a pb - yay :D
    (

Technically I also did a PB, thanks man that's made my night!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Tusky wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that. Fair play to all the good natured stewards - are they volunteers? Any idea where we can get the race times?

Race times here:

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/racetimer?v=%252Fen%252Frace%252Fshow%252F1227%253Flayout%253Dprecision_timing

My garmin clocked 6.34 miles / 10.2 k. A lot weaving at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Mine said 10.4km, I'd say it was all the weaving.

Have to say I really enjoyed it. The ninety degree turns were the pain I expected them to be and I didn't like the way the route bottle-necked at some points, but that's no-ones fault.

For the size and numbers in the event, I found it very well put together and very well run.
    And with all the gear I got, it was easily worth the price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Just back from this...really enjoyed the race and set a PB. I started at the back of the 45min wave but came in about 40'39" according to my Garmin so spent the first 2km ducking and diving. I enjoyed the rain about 3km in, a reminder of the misery of last years race. :)
    After all the negativity of this thread, I wasn't expecting to enjoy the race so much but it was really fun and the constant turning took away any monotiny. It also meant that you were never too long in one direction with the wind in your face. It was good to see the local businesses get involved, in particular the animation of the runner of the Convention Centre was kool and the twinkling lights on the Bord Gais Energy Theatre added to the event. Low lights were the lack of water at the end but thats about my only complaint. My garmin also registered it slightly long at 10.2km but there was bound to be a variation given all the turns.
    I would definitely do it again next year.

The weaving I found messy but I preferred the way the route winded, what's that saying about straight roads never ending.

Yeah from what I saw compared to what I read, it was vastly improved, I think the weather helped too, about 3 k there was a light shower, it actually was nice.
    Right lads, kinda bitten and need to find another race to try.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭messi1985

feckin potholes!!!!!!!!!!!!!! was flying it, did a massive pb at 5k mark of 23 mins then crossed over the bridge, just before the 7k slipped into a pothole and twisted the ankle.. so so upset/disappointed as was looking forward to it, and was gonna smash my pb the rate i was going.. big thanks to the 2 ladies at the corner where we turn back onto the quays for their help.. iced up now and hope we're ok for limerick run next sunday.. DAMN POTHOLESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

Were you supposed to give your race number in at the end?

My name is on the results list but there's no time associated with it.

Went over on my ankle in a pothole coming onto the quays tonight (6/7 k in), thought I'd broken it, but after a bit of recovery I was able to go on, great race though!!

Bad buzz Messi, that's very impressive timing up to the fall though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I found it very enjoyable but I'd like to see more obvious marker signs at the various km points. I didn't see one before 3km, saw the 5km one, never saw a 6k or a 9k marker. It was my first 10k and I'd agree that it seemed a bit longer than 10k as the time I reached the 8k marker suggested I would reach the finish about a minute faster than I eventually did... still, enjoyable and well run and a unique chance to run the streets of Dublin at night like that... well done to all involved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Just back from being a spectator at this. Fantastic sight to see John Coghlan bombing down the quays to arrive in at 30.29. At 30:30 he had a microphone and camera stuck in his face. No time for a sup of water for poor John! he said he ran it as a tempo run!
    The congestion at the end was ridiculous. Took about 25 minutes for the poor wrecked runners to get to the drinks area. It was actually dangerously congested. Over-subscribed obviously. Would put me off doing it next year. Heard that the congestion coming running towards the finish line was ridiculous too. Hard to do a good sprint finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Ososlo wrote: »
    . Took about 25 minutes for the poor wrecked runners to get to the drinks area.
    There was a drinks area??? I never saw it. Then again I was heading for the luas so stayed north side after the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I saw no km markers at all, but tbh, I didn't mind that so much because I could convince myself there wasn't too much more to go.

I enjoyed the course, although it was a little more congested than was comfortable. I also would have loved some water at the end rather than Powerade. Nice medal, though.

I thought the waves were well organised, in terms of who went where but they could have made it more obvious as to which wave was which. The warmup was a bit ridiculous - far too packed to do the moves comfortably and I got kicked in the knee by the man in front of me when he tried to stretch his quads.

Fair play to the people out clapping and cheering.

I did enjoy it though - had to laugh to see John Coughlan tearing along to the finish when we still had most of the course in front of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I didn't like all the turns and found it very congested until the o2, then it was okay until we were back in the narrow winding streets.

I wanted to get in at 45:xx ended up at 46:10 which is annoying..... The race results are showing me as 45:40, I don't know where they are getting that time from!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

[QUOTE=Went over on my ankle in a pothole coming onto the quays tonight (6/7 k in), thought I'd broken it, but after a bit of recovery I was able to go on, great race though!![/QUOTE]

Was just spectating but never saw so many in a road race fall or hurt themselves. Suppose it comes with the territory with so many twists, so many people and running in the dark. Hard to get a sense of the atmosphere as a spectator but seems like folk enjoyed themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

fletch wrote: »
    There was a drinks area??? I never saw it. Then again I was heading for the luas so stayed north side after the race.

yeah eventually :rolleyes:
    it was just at the far (south) side of the Sean O'Casey Bridge. By the time you'd get there though, the thirst would be gone...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Just want to say thanks to anyone stewarding at this. Really nice to volunteer time for others to compete. This was my third 10k, but first competitive one. 48.05 - reasonably happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

cloneslad wrote: »
    I didn't like all the turns and found it very congested until the o2, then it was okay until we were back in the narrow winding streets.

I wanted to get in at 45:xx ended up at 46:10 which is annoying..... The race results are showing me as 45:40, I don't know where they are getting that time from!?

Where can we see the results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Tusky wrote: »
    Just want to say thanks to anyone stewarding at this. Really nice to volunteer time for others to compete. This was my third 10k, but first competitive one. 48.05 - reasonably happy with that.

Club members. They always do it, for their own clubs, for championship races, for the Dublin Marathon, for Women's mini marathon for... Giving up bank holiday days, evenings, weekend mornings and happy to do it.

Advertisement