Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 28th April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

BenMicheal wrote: »
    Have heard that numbers are extremely low for the FIT mag run. Expect discount offers and free prize giveaways of entries very soon!

I couldn't believe the price of it when I saw it. I, naively, thought it must be the price for a series of races in the city, not just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Well I have finally bitten the bullet and entered this. Looks like it has PB potential and I could do with a bit of motivation right now.
    I only hope the rain stays away this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

I'm thinking of doing this but am being restricted by the registration process :confused:. I'd be coming up to Dublin from Limerick and only planning on traveling on Sun afternoon but the website says 'Race Registration will be held in Trinity College Sports Centre on the following dates - Friday 26th April - 11.00 to 20.00, Saturday 27th April - 11.00 to 18.00 and Sunday 28th - 11.00 to 16.00'.

Does this mean I have to be in Trinity before 4pm Sunday to get my number and then hang around until 9 for the race or is there any other way to collect numbers closer to the start time?

As an alternative is it possible to have someone else collect my number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

RedB wrote: »
    I'm thinking of doing this but am being restricted by the registration process :confused:. I'd be coming up to Dublin from Limerick and only planning on traveling on Sun afternoon but the website says 'Race Registration will be held in Trinity College Sports Centre on the following dates - Friday 26th April - 11.00 to 20.00, Saturday 27th April - 11.00 to 18.00 and Sunday 28th - 11.00 to 16.00'.

Does this mean I have to be in Trinity before 4pm Sunday to get my number and then hang around until 9 for the race or is there any other way to collect numbers closer to the start time?

You can register online and get someone else to collect your number. I saw a message from them somewhere (Facebook, I think) where they said they had a queue system in place for people collecting multiple numbers so they only would have to queue once.

RedB wrote: »

If you don't have anyone to collect it for you, I don't mind doing it. I will be in to collect mine, most likely on Friday after work, if you want me to pick it up for you.

This race is getting a lot of bad rep in here, I didn't do it last year, so I don't know what it's like, though I do think their Facebook page is great. they respond very quickly to every question that has been asked of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

cloneslad wrote: »
    If you don't have anyone to collect it for you, I don't mind doing it. I will be in to collect mine, most likely on Friday after work, if you want me to pick it up for you.

Thanks for the offer. Have to review it again with MrsB as we pulled the plug on our babysitter yesterday. Might work out yet though so will let you know if its on. Appreciate the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Fair play lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭BigGrayKettle

Hi Folks,

Quick question. I have never ran a 10K and entered this event about three weeks ago with great aspirations to get fit and train most days. However I have been away on work and other things going on so only got out to train about five times. I can do 4.5k in about 35 mins, as I am walking bits as well.

Is there any point in trying this event? I hope to get out every evening up to the race, but I know I am going to have to walk parts of the event. I guess what I am asking is do many enter this event as a first 10K, and will many be like me and running some and walking some?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Folks,

Quick question. I have never ran a 10K and entered this event about three weeks ago with great aspirations to get fit and train most days. However I have been away on work and other things going on so only got out to train about five times. I can do 4.5k in about 35 mins, as I am walking bits as well.

Is there any point in trying this event? I hope to get out every evening up to the race, but I know I am going to have to walk parts of the event. I guess what I am asking is do many enter this event as a first 10K, and will many be like me and running some and walking some?

Thanks

Dave

Walk, run, crawl... You're still going to do it in a faster time than everyone else that sits on their sofa. Just start towards the back, take it easy and see how you do. It's a flat course, I run down that area every now and then.

Also, don't over do it this week, give yourself a few evenings off, you'll be surprised how many extra kilometres you can do when there are people cheering you on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 noodles55

I completed the race last year and really enjoyed it, I wouldn't be the fastest runner but there seemed to be loads of runners finishing well behind me. So im assuming that might have been for some of them there 1st 10k. Its a really flat course so is a great one for anyone starting out although the price is a bit steep but I do love the tshirt and have worn it loads of times and cant wait to get my hands on another one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

Lot to be said for adrenaline that comes from a crowd. Think there's a 1hr 20 cut off for Samsung. Would hate to have a garda telling me to move onto the footpath!

gigtown wrote: »
    Lot to be said for adrenaline that comes from a crowd. Think there's a 1hr 20 cut off for Samsung. Would hate to have a garda telling me to move onto the footpath!

You're right, I just read that. that seems a bit harsh on some of the slower runners/ walkers. Considerint the fee you'd assume they'd pay to close off the roads for at least an hour and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

cloneslad wrote: »
    You're right, I just read that. that seems a bit harsh on some of the slower runners/ walkers. Considerint the fee you'd assume they'd pay to close off the roads for at least an hour and a half.

Hopefully going for this one my self, with even some hopes of a PB (sub 50), looking it the 80 minute cut of time though it does seem that they are trying to dis-encourage the walkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

irish-stew wrote: »
    Hopefully going for this one my self, with even some hopes of a PB (sub 50), looking it the 80 minute cut of time though it does seem that they are trying to dis-encourage the walkers.

That's why it's called the 'Samsung Run'!

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's why it's called the 'Samsung Run'!

Plenty of events have 'run' in the title, but still make allowances for walkers to enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Plenty of events have 'run' in the title, but still make allowances for walkers to enter.

I think they have time restrictions on road closures and also time of night is a consideration.
    I think its better it's just for runners to be honest especially as an athletic event.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 tEtR1s

Not long to go now.. I'm really looking forward to this run! I love the atmosphere at these big events.. My only concern was the weather, and the forecast couldn't be more suitable... Brrr-ing it on ! ! !

No wind, that's all I ask for. The wind can kill any chance of a decent when running along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I wonder where is best to Park for this event?

Anyone get their email yet today from the organisers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Anyone get their email yet today from the organisers?

Nope, tomorrow isnt it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

Change to the route aswell as per the competitors booklet on samsungnightrun.com

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I wonder where is best to Park for this event?

They have some kind of special offer going on with ParkRite. I don't have the details to hand but will try and find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

vitani wrote: »
    They have some kind of special offer going on with ParkRite. I don't have the details to hand but will try and find them.

Just Saw that thanks.

I'm just trying to find somewhere that won't be congested after the race and is near the finish. Maybe on street on Sherrif street but longish walk to start.

I see on Facebook that they're allowing registration at the Trinity Sports Centre during the number collection times.

I think they really must have overestimated that 10,000 entrants figure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

that last two miles of the new route looks like a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

vitani wrote: »
    I see on Facebook that they're allowing registration at the Trinity Sports Centre during the number collection times.

I think they really must have overestimated that 10,000 entrants figure...

Similar overestimation happening with the Rock and Roll marathon from what I have heard. Have even heard that the Irish Independent Run 10k thingy has less than a tenth of the numbers they expected to register.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

BenMicheal wrote: »
    Similar overestimation happening with the Rock and Roll marathon from what I have heard. Have even heard that the Irish Independent Run 10k thingy has less than a tenth of the numbers they expected to register.[/QUOTE]

They are giving out discount codes so you can enter for €25.
    If you they had just priced it at that in the first place they might have gotten more entries.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭emco

How quick is the registration process going down there this morning, or is it a quick in and out? Thinking of going down on my lunch break but not sure I've the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I was in and out in 2 mins earlier.

Advertisement