Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 28th April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

tunguska wrote: »
    I dont know what your interpretation of real complaint is but I think theres been some very good points made comparing this race to the K club for example.
    I ran the samsung race last year, I've run a lot of races across the country and this race comes out last in every dept. Its over priced for a start but I wouldnt mind that so much if you got something back, which we didnt. There was no gathering point afterwards for a cup of tea and a few biscuits, which is standard. The course was awful, way too many twists and turns. But the biggest issue of all was the marshalling. I finished fairly high up and myself and the lad I was running with were sent the wrong way several times during the race. Now this may not seem like a real complaint to you but to me and a lot of other club runners, this is a big deal and it says everything about the organisers and their motives behind putting on a race like this that they couldnt be bothered with details like directing the runners the right way. I ran the k club last year and the marshalling was perfect, ditto for ballycotton and a lot of other races I've run. The weather was bad that night and I have sympathy for the volunteers who gave their time to help out. My gripe is with the organisers and their motives. I know the main guy behind this race and to say that hes in it for the money would be an understatment. He doesnt care about sport, athletics or runners. He cares about making money, not for a club mind you, for hmself. Thats the difference between a race like this and say the bohermeen 5k. The latter orgainse their race for their club, their community and for the good of the sport. The former for their own personal gain.

Interesting, I thought it was run by Dublin City. Another thing that annoys me (and its not specific to running) is the fee being 31.50, including 1.50 booking fee. The way it's put on is as if its a charity donation or a govt. tax or something, it's still 31.50.

I did it last year and felt some of the criticism was unfair, perhaps I judged it based on a council event and was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt as I thought it was a good idea for Dublin and it was their first year etc but the Marshalling was a joke. Putting the fee up this year shows the profit making goal. I have no problem with races being run for 100% profit at all, fair play to them but you have to provide a excellent service.

Hopefully he has learned from 2012 and these issues will be addressed. I wonder how numbers are this year? It sold out early last year but that was @25 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

I dont know what your interpretation of real complaint is but I think theres been some very good points made comparing this race to the K club for example.
    I ran the samsung race last year, I've run a lot of races across the country and this race comes out last in every dept. Its over priced for a start but I wouldnt mind that so much if you got something back, which we didnt. There was no gathering point afterwards for a cup of tea and a few biscuits, which is standard. The course was awful, way too many twists and turns. But the biggest issue of all was the marshalling. I finished fairly high up and myself and the lad I was running with were sent the wrong way several times during the race. Now this may not seem like a real complaint to you but to me and a lot of other club runners, this is a big deal and it says everything about the organisers and their motives behind putting on a race like this that they couldnt be bothered with details like directing the runners the right way. I ran the k club last year and the marshalling was perfect, ditto for ballycotton and a lot of other races I've run. The weather was bad that night and I have sympathy for the volunteers who gave their time to help out. My gripe is with the organisers and their motives. I know the main guy behind this race and to say that hes in it for the money would be an understatment. He doesnt care about sport, athletics or runners. He cares about making money, not for a club mind you, for hmself. Thats the difference between a race like this and say the bohermeen 5k. The latter orgainse their race for their club, their community and for the good of the sport. The former for their own personal gain.

I'm sorry that happened to you, never read or heard anything about that type of thing but then again I would've been reading from novices and non club runners who probably never encountered that problem being behind a bit.
    I'm sure if this was the first time organising this race then they will have ironed out that problem this year, though it should never have happened.
    As for the tea etc, it is too big a race and in the city centre too which is an awkward aul spot.
    I'm not a club runner so I'm not really plugging the smaller races but I can empathise with the lot of you.
    The problem doesn't lie with this greedy geezer though, its the ones above him who give the permission. Sorry I'm not in with the rules and authorities, they probs fall under Athletics Ireland though - I may be wrong!
    To me at the moment 30 quid is not the end of the world, its a nice t-shirt, a handy location and im not out to win the race so I have no real complaints except my fking calf :mad: :D

By the way...I'm not sure why you're saying you don't know what my interpretation of a real complaint is when I said the only real problem I heard about was the weather.
    Seriously like, am I supposed to be a mind reader and know who went the wrong way in a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

I find the cup of tea argument hilarious. I've run events (slowly) in 4 different countries and never have I been invited for a cup of tea! There's just no comparing big events with club races. There's loads of things that big races have going for them that club races couldn't possibly hope for. Closing down O'Connell St and a high quality top being just 2 examples. Big v Small race meets should probably be another thread IMO.

Personally I love the big events. MASSIVE buzz. Decent clobber. Fun warm ups. And for the plodders like me, the feeling that there are...well...lots of plodders like me.

And I can't speak for last year's event as I didn't attend. But I do think the point is fair about this year that any possible kinks could be ironed out. And the long range weather forecast looks good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I've been going back and forth on this for months but eventually signed up. I put €50 aside for something earlier this week that I no longer need, so technically, I'm up €19.50 :pac:

IMHO this arguement is coming from club runners trying to plug the club races. im guessing that if they get enough of a turnover then in turn that will go into the club fund maybe reducing club membership fees or other expenses which the club runner has to pay which will benefit the club goer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

rasher_m wrote: »
    IMHO this arguement is coming from club runners trying to plug the club races. im guessing that if they get enough of a turnover then in turn that will go into the club fund maybe reducing club membership fees or other expenses which the club runner has to pay which will benefit the club goer.

Total Rubbish.

The race I was comparing was the Kclub race which is not a club race, it is a BHAA race. I have no affiliation with BHAA and have only run one of their races before (the same KClub race last year). Truth be told like Tunguska I am just against the big market capitalism that races like this have become, nothing more nothing less.

For the record, My club are providing some of the volunteers for the Samsung Night Run (of which I will be one) for which the club will receive a fee from the organisers. Therefore what you are saying could not be further from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

sure, if the club runners were plugging races run by their own clubs instead, but they're not

I think the point about food afterwards is a little unfair - there is no meeting point after the marathon or the race series, because there is no suitable location to have one, and too many runners. But if you don't get that, there should be something else for your money.

Take four races for comparison - Dunshaughlin 10k, race series 10k, BHAA Knocklyon 10k (the K Club is something special), and this Samsung 10k

Dunshaughlin 10k has closed roads, a good course (no 180s, no confusion), hassle-free registration, lots of food afterwards, t-shirt for participants, decent prize fund, and costs 25 euro IIRC

Race series 10k in Finglas has hassle-free registration and number collection, t-shirt for participants, decent prizes afaik, and 23 euro to enter. Haven't run it, but from what I know the course and organisation on the day are faultless. No meeting point afterwards, I think, but a goody bag of food.

Knocklyon 10k is a much smaller affair. No t-shirt and roads aren't closed, but it's cheaper - 15 euro for non-members, tenner for members. Food afterwards for everyone.

The Samsung run has two things going for it - running in the city centre, and the long-sleeved tops. But the course, the number collection, the start line and finish line organisation were all bad, the prizes were poor, and the fees were high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RayCun wrote: »

The Samsung run has two things going for it - running in the city centre, and the long-sleeved tops. But the course, the number collection, the start line and finish line organisation were all bad, the prizes were poor, and the fees were high.

I think that by far, the impost important thing the Samsung run and other runs of this ilk have above club races are that it allows us mid to back-pack field runners feel less intimated and more comfortable in a race situation when we know there are hundreds behind us, aswell as in front of us. I don't feel so much like this anymore, but I certainly did when I started running last year. You're less exposed in a large race like this. Plus it's flat:D Enjoy the race everyone. I did it as my second 10k a few weeks after GIR last year and pb'd nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

How many club races have you actually run?
    You're jumping to all sorts of conslusions about people who are members of clubs. Myself and the others who've posted negatively about this race are speaking from direct experience. I've run commercial races like the samsung run and I've run club races. Can you say the same thing? Because the difference between the two experiences is massive, its the difference between donkeys and race horses. When I first started racing I, like a lot of people did commercial races. They were ok but always strangely vacant affairs, there was no sense of community or comradery. But then I did a club race and it was an eye opener. I realised I'd been getting ripped off at the commercial races, not just financially but more so the atmosphere was 1000 times better, before during and especially after the race. It was a nicer, more welcoming experience. And this was before I was even a member of a club. I did the 10mile in craughwell and it was magic. We were fed and treated so well afterwards by the locals it was such a contrast to what you get from a commercial race, at half the price.
    This is my direct experience of the two types of races. I have no agenda other than to inform people because of lot of folks literally dont know that theyre being ripped off. They've experinced one kind of race and thats it. That there is an alternative to commercial races and its a far better option, for everybody. Not just for club runners because people seem to be making the assumption that club races are only for club runners. Theyre not theyre for everybody. Theres no elitism, theres no looking down noses at slower runners, theres no "Us" and "Them" its all the one.

If you like the samsung race and have no problem forking out 31 bills, thats great, go and enjoy the night. But at the very least make an informed decision based on driect experience, not what you think or imagine but what you've actually experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Ososlo wrote: »
    I think that by far, the impost important thing the Samsung run and other runs of this ilk have above club races are that it allows us mid to back-pack field runners feel less intimated and more comfortable in a race situation when we know there are hundreds behind us, aswell as in front of us. I don't feel so much like this anymore, but I certainly did when I started running last year. You're less exposed in a large race like this. Plus it's flat:D Enjoy the race everyone. I did it as my second 10k a few weeks after GIR last year and pb'd nicely.

I can understand that people would feel like that but if you actually look at the results of the likes of Dunshaughlin 10k of Kclub 10k you will see that there are still loads of runners between 1hr and 90 minutes.
    There is no reason to be intimidated by club races. They are much better value for all levels of runner and most importantly (in my opinion) any profitswill be going to a good cause....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

menoscemo wrote: »
    I can understand that people would feel like that but if you actually look at the results of the likes of Dunshaughlin 10k of Kclub 10k you will see that there are still loads of runners between 1hr and 90 minutes.
    There is no reason to be intimidated by club races. They are much better value for all levels of runner and most importantly (in my opinion) any profitswill be going to a good cause....

I don't for one second think that club run races are not welcoming. It's a personal thing and I think a lot of new runners also feel uncomfortable in that setting. I did 2 club races late last year, but only because I had ben running a while at that stage and I knew I wouldn't come in the last handful. I really enjoyed them and probably even a bit more than the larger races and hope to do plenty more this year. I wouldn't have done them any sooner in my running career though as I just didn't want to come last. Anyone doing their first race after coming off say a C25k programme is just gonna feel more at home in a large crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

I ran the race last year and it was my first event. I didn't find the stewarding/marshalling to be bad at all. I have signed up to run it again this year.

You make what you want out of it.

If you are a seasoned runner and run multiple events you can probably see all the holes/issues with this run but for first timers or people who dont run loads of races this is fine. You also get to run down some roads in the city that you would never dream of on a normal day.

e
    How many club races have you actually run?
    You're jumping to all sorts of conslusions about people who are members of clubs. Myself and the others who've posted negatively about this race are speaking from direct experience. I've run commercial races like the samsung run and I've run club races. Can you say the same thing? Because the difference between the two experiences is massive, its the difference between donkeys and race horses. When I first started racing I, like a lot of people did commercial races. They were ok but always strangely vacant affairs, there was no sense of community or comradery. But then I did a club race and it was an eye opener. I realised I'd been getting ripped off at the commercial races, not just financially but more so the atmosphere was 1000 times better, before during and especially after the race. It was a nicer, more welcoming experience. And this was before I was even a member of a club. I did the 10mile in craughwell and it was magic. We were fed and treated so well afterwards by the locals it was such a contrast to what you get from a commercial race, at half the price.
    This is my direct experience of the two types of races. I have no agenda other than to inform people because of lot of folks literally dont know that theyre being ripped off. They've experinced one kind of race and thats it. That there is an alternative to commercial races and its a far better option, for everybody. Not just for club runners because people seem to be making the assumption that club races are only for club runners. Theyre not theyre for everybody. Theres no elitism, theres no looking down noses at slower runners, theres no "Us" and "Them" its all the one.

If you like the samsung race and have no problem forking out 31 bills, thats great, go and enjoy the night. But at the very least make an informed decision based on driect experience, not what you think or imagine but what you've actually experienced.

You're jumping to all sorts of conslusions yourself about me.
    And actually I was a member of a club back as a junior when you were probably in nappies. I have run both types of races.
    I randomly select races that suit me and are near me to be honest.
    I'm very aware that club races are for everyone and the more they get the better.

I don't for one minute think that you are genuine about elitism. I seen you responding last year to some woman who was giving out cause she never received a t-shirt for one of the race series runs cause she was too slow.

As I said before, I believe that Samsung race direction problems will be ironed out. Just from reading on Boards I see this is not uncommon. Meno told us about his own experience a few weeks back. Then another guy was saying he won a race cause of something similar a while back.
    If I was a serious and talented runner and was entering a race, particularly a new race and thought I had any hope of under 35 even 40 mins, I would make myself very aware of the course and question marshals if it was going off track.

My second point as before is that the t-shirt is lovely, its like the Marathon one and I know I would get great use out of it.

The third is I wouldn't lose sleep over not getting a cup of tea and catching up with the gissip. I have been to races before where they put on the spread and as nice as it is, if you're not there with people you know then theres not much point.

Town is handy, I wouldn't be traipsing around the country to get to a race since I'm not competitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

You're jumping to all sorts of conslusions yourself about me.
    And actually I was a member of a club back as a junior when you were probably in nappies. I have run both types of races.
    I randomly select races that suit me and are near me to be honest.
    I'm very aware that club races are for everyone and the more they get the better.

Again you've jumped to a conclusion, this time about my age. Get the facts before you make assumptions about people. Plus saying something like "I was doing this when you were in nappies" is condescending and a passive aggressive way of insulting somebody. You wanna have a debate with me about the difference between club races and commercial races thats grand, but be mature and honest about it and give the veiled insults a rest.

I don't for one minute think that you are genuine about elitism. I seen you responding last year to some woman who was giving out cause she never received a t-shirt for one of the race series runs cause she was too slow.

Show me this post. And again you've jumped to a conclusion about me. You dont know me or anything about my attitude in regards to elitism. And how does my view on elitism have any bearing on club races and other people at club races? I said that people at club races were open and accepting of everybody at all levels, so how would my view change their views? You're making assumptions about people again.

If I was a serious and talented runner and was entering a race, particularly a new race and thought I had any hope of under 35 even 40 mins, I would make myself very aware of the course and question marshals if it was going off track.

I have no idea what youre getting at with this. Whats your point, Are you saying that it was our fault that we were sent the wrong way?

My second point as before is that the t-shirt is lovely, its like the Marathon one and I know I would get great use out of it.

At what point did I question the quality of the T-shirt? If you like it then thats great.

The third is I wouldn't lose sleep over not getting a cup of tea and catching up with the gissip. I have been to races before where they put on the spread and as nice as it is, if you're not there with people you know then theres not much point.

See what you did there? You're trying to trivialise the points I was making about how great club races and the atmosphere afterwards. As if it was all down to "cup of tea" and most dismissively of all "Gossip"
    You said you did club races as a junior, do one as an adult then come back to me and tell me its all about a cup of tea and gossip.

Town is handy, I wouldn't be traipsing around the country to get to a race since I'm not competitive.

Who said every club race is down the country? Raheny 5miler, rathfarnham 5k, tallaght ac 5k, sportworld 5 miler.

Jaysus lads take your personal squabble to pm and leave us discuss the samsung night run here.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

sgarvan wrote: »
    Jaysus lads take your personal squabble to pm and leave us discuss the samsung night run here.

Ah its just a difference of opinion by 2 strong minded characters.
    Personally I enjoyed the Samsung race last year and am doing it again this year.
    But the race doesn't really compare to the likes of ballycotton and other big club/bhaa races.
    The Samsung race is what it is, some will like it and some won't, the same goes for every race all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

You don't get a swanky medal at club runs.............................ah now I'm stirring the pot now!

I've been fortunate enough to experience both at this stage and to be honest I agree and disagree with you both. Cup of tea, a biscuit and possibly a bowl of soup is deadly after a cold long run - no doubt. But so to is talking to somebody in a pub who also ran the same race as you that you didn't know as has happened many times with the Samsung run.

What it all boils down to is personal preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Well atleast we#re not getting side tracked.

Since we have seen so many last minute entries this week to the Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 10k, we have decided to extend registrations until 10am on Wednesday April 24th! So, if you plan to run, please make sure to register soon to secure your place!

www.samsungnightrun.com

From Samsung Mobile Ireland Facebook page

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Since we have seen so many last minute entries this week to the Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 10k, we have decided to extend registrations until 10am on Wednesday April 24th! So, if you plan to run, please make sure to register soon to secure your place!

www.samsungnightrun.com

From Samsung Mobile Ireland Facebook page

Which translated means we haven't sold out like last year so will do everything we can to facilitate runners signing up late and make us more dosh

My exact thinking

Ah will ya stop, I was only winding himself and the others up. I have absolutely no bad feeling towards Tungusta or any other club runner.

I still like the t-shirt and nice shiny medals you get from commercial races though :pac:

Extended deadline. Fairly standard practice no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

gigtown wrote: »
    Extended deadline. Fairly standard practice no?

only if it hasn't sold out or reached the minimum number of entrants that they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Who knows.

Interestingly FIT Magazine are tweeting the **** out of their expensive race too.

https://twitter.com/Fit_Mag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

depsite all my b*tching and moaning I have signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Does anyone know how best to hold a flask whilst running? Must have that cup of tea at the finish line:D Glad that's put to bed.

Didn't do this last year, but looking forward to giving it a lash. Would this be a pb type of a course? Never ran a race with so many turns, just wondering what others thought of it?

Also I wont be around town the day before, can someone else register for me?

Also I wont be around town the day before, can someone else register for me?

Well it's completely flat so that's good (hoping for a pb myself) and AFAIK there's no issue with someone else picking up for you.

• Advertisement

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Who knows.

Interestingly FIT Magazine are tweeting the **** out of their expensive race too.

https://twitter.com/Fit_Mag

Have heard that numbers are extremely low for the FIT mag run. Expect discount offers and free prize giveaways of entries very soon!

Advertisement