Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 28th April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

menoscemo wrote: »
    The BHAA Kclub 10k is on the week before. Way better price (€15) better course, better level of competition, better organisation and a savage feed afterwards for free.

I agree with all of the above but I just wish they would add about 200m to the course and make it a 10K. I have done it the past 2 years and that is my only gripe. BHAA as a whole is brilliant. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Murpho - seeing as you can tweet - could you ask them to confirm if is the same top as last year! Seems to be the decider! Thanks!

I seen a thing on FB. Same sort of top as last year but now it has a snazzy little pocket on the arm for your phone.

I presume your only allowed keep Samsung phones in there.. No iphones :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭gigtown

[IMG][/img]66860105044324245910543.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Got it to work! Nice one. That's the top for this year they have up on their facebook page. Looks like there's a doohickey for the phone on the sleeve alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Jesus it's bright! Ok it's a night run so I can see the idea behind the colour.
    I think I'd stick with my trusty skins top instead.

Noob question, but what's the craic with leaving a bag at the start / finish, I don't run with my phone but am cautious with leaving it stashed in a bag for a hour in the middle of town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 KeenRunner

Shirt looks deadly! Still using mine from last year!

Last year there was a baggage area which was secured so I presume it'll be the same again this time. Looking forward to it now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I wonder what sort of effect all the planned extra runners will have on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shoxsdub

The top is cool, the route is flat, I like running at night. SOLD

Timelapse of the route. We need more vids like this for Irish events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgg-LGFowss

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

I wonder what sort of effect all the planned extra runners will have on the night.

I wonder what sort of effect cutting all those 90 degree corners will have on overall distance? I assume distance was measured on the road...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

gigtown wrote: »
    Timelapse of the route. We need more vids like this for Irish events.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgg-LGFowss

Pretty good video!!

sort of lost track of the course when it looped back past the Ferryman but hopefully its well marshalled!

Up and down the liffey, past the o2, Custom house, spire, grand canal theatre lots of nice places to be running past!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Didn't care for that video too much.

Maybe it will look better on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 onedip

Just signed up for this , i prob should have logged on here first for some feed back judging from all the negative comments ,, its my first time racing and have only ran 10k twice before so im just really looking to get one under my belt , looking to do it in 55-60 min so at that rate i dont think any of the shenanigans at the front will bother me !!

If anybody has any tips for a novice they would be muck appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Now that IS a top quality race.

I am very picky about the races I do nowadays. This Samsung one was one of the worst races I did last year (I only did it because i got a free entry). It's a pity that the most hyped races and the ones promoted by the AAI are almost always the most expensive and badly organised ones...

Seriously how could it be so badly organised as you say?

Race night, I turned up handed in my bag which was well run , waited for start and then ran the 10k which was well marshalled and an impressive route through the city.

What more do you expect? Cocktall sausages and cake kind of defeat the purpose of the run for me.

Yes, I agree about the price and also registration was poor but the night itself was very enjoyable, apart from the weather (which is not their fault).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

murpho999 wrote: »
    Seriously how could it be so badly organised as you say?

From memory:
    No food or tea/coffee after the race (standard at club races), nowhere to go inside or shelter.
    Course was poor with many 180 degree turnarounds.
    Also there was a particular place on the course (O'Connell st) where people where taking a shortcut and cutting up to 300m off the course. Nobody seemed to be marshalling that, in fact it was poorly posted. I guess one guy cut the course at the spire and everyone else followed. I ran the full course up to the end of the street and then had to pass tons of people who had cut the course.... a bit annoying.

Minor gripes: the KM markers were next to invisible, and there are some suspicions that the course was a bit long (those that actually ran the full course).
    Also I think the first few runners were pointed the wrong direction a few times by marshals or at best had to guess the route, obviously for those behind it's not such an issue as we just follow the guys in front, but for the leaders that's a bit of a pain.
    Prizes is another thing actually: for a race of this magnitude with so much money taken in entry fees, it's a bit of a joke that the winner gets a samsung phone..

From memory:
    No food or tea/coffee after the race (standard at club races), nowhere to go inside or shelter.
    Course was poor with many 180 degree turnarounds.
    Also there was a particular place on the course (O'Connell st) where people where taking a shortcut and cutting up to 300m off the course. Nobody seemed to be marshalling that, in fact it was poorly posted. I guess one guy cut the course at the spire and everyone else followed. I ran the full course up to the end of the street and then had to pass tons of people who had cut the course.... a bit annoying.

Minor gripes: the KM markers were next to invisible, and there are some suspicions that the course was a bit long (those that actually ran the full course).
    Also I think the first few runners were pointed the wrong direction a few times by marshals or at best had to guess the route, obviously for those behind it's not such an issue as we just follow the guys in front, but for the leaders that's a bit of a pain.
    Prizes is another thing actually: for a race of this magnitude with so much money taken in entry fees, it's a bit of a joke that the winner gets a samsung phone..

I think you are asking too much for an event of this size to offer tea/coffee/food to thousands of people as that would be a major operation.
    Much easier to organise at smaller club events.

I only remember 2 180 turns, at O'Connell St after GPO, which is logical and then down by Point/O2. Wasn't that bad.
    As for people taking a short cut on O'Connell St, then I think it was just people who cheated who were being followed, as for me it was clear at the bottom where we had to turn.

Also, don't find it strange that the event has Samsung equipment as prizes, but I think you run at much more serious level to me as I'm not worried about winning anything

Agree with you about the KM markings, they were poor, and also I found the course a bit long too.

Still I really enjoyed, it was great to run past Dublin landmarks and I'm looking forward to this years, hopefully the weather is better!

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

I think you are asking too much for an event of this size to offer tea/coffee/food to thousands of people as that would be a major operation.

I only remember 2 180 turns, at O'Connell St after GPO, which is logical and then down by Point/O2. Wasn't that bad.
    As for people taking a short cut on O'Connell St, then I think it was just people who cheated who were being followed, as for me it was clear at the bottom where we had to turn.

Also, don't find it strange that the event has Samsung equipment as prizes, but I think you run at much more serious level to me as I'm not worried about winning anything

Agree with you about the KM markings, they were poor, and also I found the course a bit long too.

Still I really enjoyed, it was great to run past Dublin landmarks and I'm looking forward to this years, hopefully the weather is better!

I think that you're missing Meno's point. If you compare the Samsung run to a club or BHAA race, there's a world of difference. Take the BHAA 10k in the K-Club next week:
    • The cost is 10 euro (15 for non-BHAA members)
    • The course is well thought out and properly marshalled - no opportunity for taking short-cuts
    • Clear km markers
    • No 180 degree turns
    • As much food as you could possibly eat afterwards

I know that the Samsung run is on a bigger scale, but there are lots of races on the calendar where you get a lot more for a smaller entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 vinsanity

Odikyo - Live Runner Tracking app for android/iOS is available.

www.odikyo.com

How to use: http://www.odikyo.com/about/

The Tracking page for Samsung Night Run is available here: http://www.odikyo.com/runs/snr2013.html

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭wobblemouth

Wow. This race sounds rubbish.

Should have read this thread before I just paid out my €30 to sign up yesterday!

Can't be that bad.

macinalli wrote: »
    I think that you're missing Meno's point. If you compare the Samsung run to a club or BHAA race, there's a world of difference. Take the BHAA 10k in the K-Club next week:
    • The cost is 10 euro (15 for non-BHAA members)
    • The course is well thought out and properly marshalled - no opportunity for taking short-cuts
    • Clear km markers
    • No 180 degree turns
    • As much food as you could possibly eat afterwards

I know that the Samsung run is on a bigger scale, but there are lots of races on the calendar where you get a lot more for a smaller entry fee.

I'm not missing the point but think they are poor comparisons.

When operating within a city centre there would be restrictions that would not be faced by a local club run.

Eg, shortcuts on O'Connell St, that was done by cheaters initially, other sheep followed. and you can expect the organisers to have closed off the median in the street. It was marshalled and clear to me where I had to turn.
    If people cheat then that's there own responsibility in my opinion.

180 degree turns, I'm sure they are restricted with the route choice through certain streets so they are unavoidable.

I agree about the costs etc but I'm sure it does cost a lot more to stage than a local club run, insurance for example must be a factor.

Genuinely don't think it's feasible to feed so many at an event like this.

No doubt it is expensive, but I did enjoy running through the city centre last year and look forward to it next year. The top you get is also good quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Not running this, but helping out the club and doing some marshalling :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

...if you help out with your club do you get a free shirt ?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

For the price they are charging for a 10k, i expect a three course meal with it

I'm not missing the point but the think they are poor comparisons.

When operating within a city centre there would be restrictions that would not be faced by a local club run.

Eg, shortcuts on O'Connell St, that was done by cheaters initially, other sheep followed. and you can expect the organisers to have closed off the median in the street. It was marshalled and clear to me where I had to turn.
    If people cheat then that's there own responsibility in my opinion.

180 degree turns, I'm sure they are restricted with the route choice through certain streets so they are unavoidable.

I agree about the costs etc but I'm sure it does cost a lot more to stage than a local club run, insurance for example must be a factor.

Genuinely don't think it's feasible to feed so many at an event like this.

No doubt it is expensive, but I did enjoy running through the city centre last year and look forward to it next year. The top you get is also good quality.

You get the same kinda top in lidl or aldi for under a tenner

statss wrote: »
    ...if you help out with your club do you get a free shirt ?!!

Dont think so, just the club gets a fee for your service.

Dont think so, just the club gets a fee for your service.

no worries. shirt looks handy with the added pocket this year, don't see many of them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭PaulieC

statss wrote: »
    don't see many of them around.

Take a run down Sandymount strand or Clontarf seafront any evening and you'll see hundreds of them. Bet you don't see many others in a Connemara tee. I know which I'd prefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rasher_m

Wow. This race sounds rubbish.

Should have read this thread before I just paid out my €30 to sign up yesterday!

Can't be that bad.

The only real compaint I heard about last years race was the weather.
    I read about a lot of pb's and the t-shirt being nice.
    ...If I was to go to the Kclub and run, it would cost me at least a 10 tener in petrol plus the travelling to and fro.
    The Samsung race sounds about even stevens when its all weighed up plus I really like the t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

rasher_m wrote: »
    The only real compaint I heard about last years race was the weather.
    I read about a lot of pb's and the t-shirt being nice.
    ...If I was to go to the Kclub and run, it would cost me at least a 10 tener in petrol plus the travelling to and fro.
    The Samsung race sounds about even stevens when its all weighed up plus I really like the t-shirt.

I dont know what your interpretation of real complaint is but I think theres been some very good points made comparing this race to the K club for example.
    I ran the samsung race last year, I've run a lot of races across the country and this race comes out last in every dept. Its over priced for a start but I wouldnt mind that so much if you got something back, which we didnt. There was no gathering point afterwards for a cup of tea and a few biscuits, which is standard. The course was awful, way too many twists and turns. But the biggest issue of all was the marshalling. I finished fairly high up and myself and the lad I was running with were sent the wrong way several times during the race. Now this may not seem like a real complaint to you but to me and a lot of other club runners, this is a big deal and it says everything about the organisers and their motives behind putting on a race like this that they couldnt be bothered with details like directing the runners the right way. I ran the k club last year and the marshalling was perfect, ditto for ballycotton and a lot of other races I've run. The weather was bad that night and I have sympathy for the volunteers who gave their time to help out. My gripe is with the organisers and their motives. I know the main guy behind this race and to say that hes in it for the money would be an understatment. He doesnt care about sport, athletics or runners. He cares about making money, not for a club mind you, for hmself. Thats the difference between a race like this and say the bohermeen 5k. The latter orgainse their race for their club, their community and for the good of the sport. The former for their own personal gain.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    Take a run down Sandymount strand or Clontarf seafront any evening and you'll see hundreds of them. Bet you don't see many others in a Connemara tee. I know which I'd prefer

I meant as a long sleeve technical top with a pocket...I see loads of people wearing last years ones alright

Advertisement