Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Run Dublin @ Night 28th April

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

looks problematic alright, from what i can see it starts on the south side and ends on the north side. Will be messy getting back to bags etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

npresto wrote: »
    The proposed course has been added to the website.

It's different to last year with far more corners.

http://samsungnightrun.com/#headerroute

MapMyRun version: http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/175149844/

Shocking course, way too many 180º turns and it looks like there'll be lots of traffic issues- the route overlaps in lots of places. Despite being flat, it was not a particularly fast course last year, this year it will be even slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I was dizzy looking at it so i stopped.

I'm half thinking of volunteering to help people find their way around but i'ld be scared to send them the wrong way.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭BenMicheal

Running over the Beckett Bridge for the finish will be good.................................wont it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

using less streets = less Garda / Road closing costs + charging 15% higher = serious profit?!

No thanks Samsung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

That looks utterly ridiculous.

Makes the tunnel run look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 QandA

Looks like someone was blind-folded in a maze and had to find they're way out....ridiculous routing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

QandA wrote: »
    Looks like someone was blind-folded in a maze and had to find they're way out....ridiculous routing.

Exactly what I was thinking.
    They're going to need some fairly clued in marshals to make sure everyone goes the right way!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

QandA wrote: »

Looks like an ex alcoholic was given an etch-a-sketch to play with!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

They'll need timing mats at the top of O'Connell Street ([edit] and some other places :) ) to stop the inevitable temptation, but tbh the course looks interesting enough to me. I'd say it will be quite attractive at night. I haven't quite figured out the sequence around miles 4 and 5 though.

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    They'll need timing mats at the top of O'Connell Street to stop the inevitable temptation,

Sure they had that bit of the course last year and by the time I was coming back down O'connell St the hoardes were crossing over just past the spire. Same people were later complaining that the course was short :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

If you don't mind the laps, the BHAA, RTE 5 miler is the day before. Inclined to give that a go rather than this racket. Always a good atmosphere after and no nonsense monster warm up or the like guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Shoxsdub

I was going to give this a go but to tell ya the truth ye are not selling it to me! Cool t shirt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,380 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh me too...I was all set to do this to get the t-shirt but decided to give it a miss now

The BHAA Kclub 10k is on the week before. Way better price (€15) better course, better level of competition, better organisation and a savage feed afterwards for free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

menoscemo wrote: »
    The BHAA Kclub 10k is on the week before. Way better price (€15) better course, better level of competition, better organisation and a savage feed afterwards for free.

I can back that up! I'm still dreaming about those cocktail sausages ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Shoxsdub wrote: »
    I was going to give this a go but to tell ya the truth ye are not selling it to me! Cool t shirt though.
    fletch wrote: »
    Yeh me too...I was all set to do this to get the t-shirt but decided to give it a miss now

The price is horrendous, the course is not great and last year's thread really hasn't sold the race to me, but I'm still tempted because I really like that t-shirt.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    I can back that up! I'm still dreaming about those cocktail sausages ;)

And you didn't even run the race you cheapskate :mad:

vitani wrote: »
    The price is horrendous, the course is not great and last year's thread really hasn't sold the race to me, but I'm still tempted because I really like that t-shirt.

How do you know there won't be a different T-shirt this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Begod, if you want a tshirt that much i can sell you mine from last year's at the reasonable price of say €31.50. :pac:

Sorry, i just couldn't stop myself!!

• Advertisement

How do you know there won't be a different T-shirt this year?

Very true. And knowing my luck, I'll sign up and they'll have replaced it with a cotton monstrosity.
    chinguetti wrote: »
    Begod, if you want a tshirt that much i can sell you mine from last year's at the reasonable price of say €31.50. :pac:

Sorry, i just couldn't stop myself!!

That made me laugh. :)

I'm holding off on entering because I'm doing the Great Ireland Run two weeks beforehand, and that'll be my first 10k. Two in two weeks might be pushing it. There's a 5k in Leixlip the following Saturday which I might go for instead. No tshirt, but it's half the price and apparently the cake afterwards is amazing.

There's a 5k in Leixlip the following Saturday which I might go for instead. No tshirt, but it's half the price and apparently the cake afterwards is amazing.

Now that IS a top quality race.

I am very picky about the races I do nowadays. This Samsung one was one of the worst races I did last year (I only did it because i got a free entry). It's a pity that the most hyped races and the ones promoted by the AAI are almost always the most expensive and badly organised ones...

Now that IS a top quality race.

I am very picky about the races I do nowadays. This Samsung one was one of the worst races I did last year (I only did it because i got a free entry). It's a pity that the most hyped races and the ones promoted by the AAI are almost always the most expensive and badly organised ones...

Next year, I'll be picking races more carefully. As it's my first year racing, I had it in mind that I'd go for more of the commercial, fun-run type events this time around like the GIR and the Rock'n'Roll Half.

I'm looking forward to running them, but I don't see myself going for the higher-priced events next year. Apart from DCM, of course :cool:

Next year, I'll be picking races more carefully. As it's my first year racing, I had it in mind that I'd go for more of the commercial, fun-run type events this time around like the GIR and the Rock'n'Roll Half.

I'm looking forward to running them, but I don't see myself going for the higher-priced events next year. Apart from DCM, of course :cool:

Yeah but the smaller events are even more fun, plus you know all the money is going to a local athletics club rather than multinational company.

DCM is an exception to the other events you listed, it's a great event and not for profit.

Yeah but the smaller events are even more fun, plus you know all the money is going to a local athletics club rather than multinational company.

Oh, I agree with you! I'm more excited about the Dunboyne 4mile in a few weeks than the GIR. Unfortunately, I picked out most of my races for the year and signed up for them before reading the race reports on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I know this won't go down well but this was one of my favourite races last year. It was also only my 3rd or 4th race i think so maybe that was part of it. Racing was still very new to me. But I found it really fun and exciting running through the streets of Dublin at night time on a flat course and getting a pb. I know the route has changed a bit this year so sounds like that'll make it a bit of a difference.
    I also got a running top that I wear more than any other top I own and it was well worth 30 quid or whatever the race entry was. I know it was probably a lot different for the guys at the front of the race but if you've already entered/committed to this race and are a mid/back-pack runner, don't be regretting it. Bet you'll really enjoy it. I was definitely going to do it again this year except it's too close to a half I'm doing. Hope you get the same shirt as last year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

It’s a lovely area to run around in the evening and there was a great atmosphere in the surrounding cafes and bars at previous races in the area. It seems to be a more social event with friends running it together. It’s part of Dublin City Council’s efforts to put on events in the area.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Samsung makes any profit from the race, unless Samsung has given up on making billions in tech and going down the route of organising one off races.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    It’s a lovely area to run around in the evening and there was a great atmosphere in the surrounding cafes and bars at previous races in the area. It seems to be a more social event with friends running it together. It’s part of Dublin City Council’s efforts to put on events in the area.

I could be wrong, but I don’t think Samsung makes any profit from the race, unless Samsung has given up on making billions in tech and going down the route of organising one off races.

couldn't disagree more with this part of your post. Not from my experience anyways. It was just as much a race as any other race I've done. Far from just a social event. Again, maybe at the top of the field it was a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Ososlo wrote: »
    couldn't disagree more with this part of your post. Not from my experience anyways. It was just as much a race as any other race I've done. Far from just a social event. Again, maybe at the top of the field it was a different story.

My point was that race is aimed as more of a social event to the area.

Given the ridiculous weather last year, no-one was going to hang around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Murpho - seeing as you can tweet - could you ask them to confirm if is the same top as last year! Seems to be the decider! Thanks!

Advertisement