Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

COYVB wrote: »
    E3 isn't open to the public
    But the information garnered from it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,098 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

E3 isn't open to the public

:o,I should clarify my point, most gaming sites and magazines that attend will report their findings on what is what, neither sony or microsoft will disclose what their consoles can and can not do, it will take a third party to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Skiddies

I'm looking forward to hearing about the new xbox but I think I might be going with the PS4. So much bad rumors about the new xbox :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

:o,I should clarify my point, most gaming sites and magazines that attend will report their findings on what is what, neither sony or microsoft will disclose what their consoles can and can not do, it will take a third party to do that.

You won't get that kind of information coming out of E3 unfortunately. The consoles will be in a relatively controlled environment, and they'll only be doing what MS and Sony enable them to do. You're going to have to wait until August before you get the proper hands-on stuff, complete with the relative strengths and weaknesses of each system

Remember, it's not that long ago that MS "demoed" the 360 when it was actually playing off top end PCs recessed into the demo unit stands. Speaking from experience, what you see is not always what you get at E3

PS4 all the way for me anyway. MS is taking a very dangerous route right now shifting its focus away from games

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Skiddies

The new xbox just seems more like an entertainment system instead of a gaming console.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

Skiddies wrote: »
    The new xbox just seems more like an entertainment system instead of a gaming console.

Yeah, especially if you're the type who considers ads entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

You won't get that kind of information coming out of E3 unfortunately. The consoles will be in a relatively controlled environment, and they'll only be doing what MS and Sony enable them to do. You're going to have to wait until August before you get the proper hands-on stuff, complete with the relative strengths and weaknesses of each system

Remember, it's not that long ago that MS "demoed" the 360 when it was actually playing off top end PCs recessed into the demo unit stands. Speaking from experience, what you see is not always what you get at E3

Some of the reveals at Sony's event were similar. Pretty sure Ubisoft said they were using a PC to demo their game at that.

Some of the reveals at Sony's event were similar. Pretty sure Ubisoft said they were using a PC to demo their game at that.

Yup. Everything we've seen from WatchDogs so far has been on PC - but it's been a PC built to be as similar as possible to the PS4/Next Xbox as far as I understand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Skiddies wrote: »

Hopefully, but they would want to start adding more like the Rte player, tv3 player. Sky would want to start adding a few more channels aswel. I'd like to see being able to access sky and Netflix without needing a gold account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Not sure where folks are getting the whole moving away from gaming thing?

It will have a disc slot yes? There is a list as long as your arm of game developers willing to make games for it? SO what what if they are adding all kinds of extra stuff regards "entertainment" to it it will still play games nothing changes there, take or leave the other stuff, the problem i have with it is will it cost me money to have stuff there I don't want or use???? likely yes, like the brilliant and successful kinect built in :rolleyes:

Backward compatibility would be a cost id be willing to absorb, that could be a deal breaker, given my investment up to now.

As for features ps4 will want to emulate xbox and vice versa and long gone are the days were there console exclusives were a factor in choosing a platform

I've an open mind and it will likely be this time next year before i can afford to think about choosing a platform, and likely we will have 360 releases into the new year anyway but i really feel a lot of what has been speculated is kite flying nothing more.

calex71 wrote: »
    Not sure where folks are getting the whole moving away from gaming thing?

It's an entertainment unit firstly, a games console secondarily

As for features ps4 will want to emulate xbox

From speaking to people in Sony, I assure you that is not the case. They want to distance themselves wholly from Microsoft's impending shift in direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

It's an entertainment unit firstly, a games console secondarily

It is what ever you use it for surely? I only play games on mine, and I'm 100% positive i would be able to do the same on any future xbox?
    From speaking to people in Sony, I assure you that is not the case. They want to distance themselves wholly from Microsoft's impending shift in direction

Your talking out of you behind here, when people say moving away from gaming MS see it as expanding revenue streams (not siding with them here as I could do without the extra crap on the dashboard), and I'm sure Sony want to stick to being a 100% gaming platform and let xbox cream off all that extra revenue from netflix etc, sure sony license their music to xbox for their music service , no, no they don't want a slice of a pie that isn't 100% gamer beef at all at all do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Wait for the reveal before you rule out the Xbox remember speculation is all we currently know

It is what ever you use it for surely? I only play games on mine, and I'm 100% positive i would be able to do the same on any future xbox?

Of course, it's always going to be what the user uses it for that matters, but I'm talking purely from how the system is being positioned both internally and when it comes to marketing campaigns. Set top box is the priority, gaming is secondary
    Your talking out of you behind here, when people say moving away from gaming MS see it as expanding revenue streams (not siding with them here as I could do without the extra crap on the dashboard), and I'm sure Sony want to stick to being a 100% gaming platform and let xbox cream off all that extra revenue from netflix etc, sure sony license their music to xbox for their music service , no, no they don't want a slice of a pie that isn't 100% gamer beef at all at all do they?

Sony know the PlayStation is a games console, they're not trying to make it anything else. The focus will always be primarily gaming and gaming related features. Microsoft's focus is streaming content, web browsing, Kinect and "lifestyle" stuff primarily. For Sony, PS4 is a games console that can stream media and do other things, for Microsoft the Next Xbox is a set top box that can play games

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I hope they don't do this always online thing I have heard rumors about. Also I hope that they allow the sale of second hand games. I think it would be a huge mistake for them if they didn't allow the re-sale of used games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

tim3000 wrote: »
    I hope they don't do this always online thing I have heard rumors about. Also I hope that they allow the sale of second hand games. I think it would be a huge mistake for them if they didn't allow the re-sale of used games.

By doing that, i presume the idea behind it is to prevent piracy.
    I honestly think it would encourage it. It would definitely encourage more people then normal, to hack into the guts of it. Although after i wrote that, i realised that there probably is a whole lot more going to try in this generation. A lot more "Tech-Savvy" people out there now, than there was the last time.
    But they don't have a massive problem with the current xbox. I know it has got a chip and you can buy preloaded hard drives etc.. But i don't know anyone that actually bought them.

Will current Xbox games be able to be played on it i wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

Allyall wrote: »
    By doing that, i presume the idea behind it is to prevent piracy.
    I honestly think it would encourage it. It would definitely encourage more people then normal, to hack into the guts of it. Although after i wrote that, i realised that there probably is a whole lot more going to try in this generation. A lot more "Tech-Savvy" people out there now, than there was the last time.
    But they don't have a massive problem with the current xbox. I know it has got a chip and you can buy preloaded hard drives etc.. But i don't know anyone that actually bought them.

Will current Xbox games be able to be played on it i wonder.

That was my thinking too anti piracy software is always cracked. Surely microsoft know the damage piracy does on PC and don't want to risk it on their home system. I could envision a time when people will trade entire systems not just games as a way around sharing games. Im hoping they listen to the outcry those tweets generated. If they didnt then sony will have a huge market advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

probably gonna recycle all them Surface RT laptops into a new case ;)

Not very excited about this, trying to think of a feature that would make me fork out 250+euro.
    They cant even deliver stuff on the current xbox and thats nothing really todo with the hardware.

• Advertisement

probably gonna recycle all them Surface RT laptops into a new case ;)

Not very excited about this, trying to think of a feature that would make me fork out 250+euro.
    They cant even deliver stuff on the current xbox and thats nothing really todo with the hardware.

3D gaming. Handheld console type add-on that doubles as a controller. Better Movie/Audio Codecs. Apple TV Competitor.

That's pretty much all the rumours i've heard put into a nutshell.

Nothing that overly impresses me, or nothing that you can't already do on an existing console. 3D gaming is probably possible with an addon.

As a matter of fact, the only thing noticeably different is the lack of an Optical Drive.

I won't be buying a 4k TV for at least another 5 years, so i wouldn't be taking advantage of that capability.

I'd rather wait this one out, and see what bugs, (RROD) people are hit with.
    Thinking back (slightly off topic), it's crazy the amount of people that had to throw out their Xbox because of a manufacturing fault.
    There is no way they'd get away with that again. Any faults this time, and they'll be repairing them free.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I'm not sure where all this negativity is coming from, I have both consoles and find the 360 [especially XBL] to be leagues ahead of what Sony offers, my PS3 is ironically only used for dvd/bluray/video's.
    Seems very unlikely to me that there will be some sort of giant role reversal for the next gen, in fact if the 720 can play all the stuff I currently use my PS3 for that would be a big plus in my book!

Backwards compatibility would be a non issue for me too, never got any real use out of it with the 360.

the only thing noticeably different is the lack of an Optical Drive.

Not sure where you're getting that from, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it'll have an optical drive

Also, this:

Beef Uproots

I'm not sure where all this negativity is coming from.

Not being negative, Or not meaning to be anyway. I'm just saying, i won't be rushing to buy this, or any next gen console.
    I know, i thought i was happy with the Snes and the PS came out. Thought i was happy with that and the PS2 came out etc..

But, i honestly can't see what is going to make me "want" this (or any next gen).

I definitely won't be one of the first to buy.
    Not sure where you're getting that from, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that it'll have an optical drive

Also, this:

Beef Uproots

I've read that in a fair amount of the rumour sites.. If it does, then bonus..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Not being negative, Or not meaning to be anyway. I'm just saying, i won't be rushing to buy this, or any next gen console.
    I know, i thought i was happy with the Snes and the PS came out. Thought i was happy with that and the PS2 came out etc..

But, i honestly can't see what is going to make me "want" this (or any next gen).

I definitely won't be one of the first to buy.

I've read that in a fair amount of the rumour sites.. If it does, then bonus..

It's rumoured to have an optical drive, probably something similar to a blu-ray drive but one that doesn't play Blu-Ray movies, something to do with licensing out the Blu-Ray name.

It is Sony's format after all, they can screw everyone on this.

I would reckon that this could be the last console generation that uses an optical drive, the shape of the land is changing but not enough yet to ditch Discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Of course, it's always going to be what the user uses it for that matters, but I'm talking purely from how the system is being positioned both internally and when it comes to marketing campaigns. Set top box is the priority, gaming is secondary

Sony know the PlayStation is a games console, they're not trying to make it anything else. The focus will always be primarily gaming and gaming related features. Microsoft's focus is streaming content, web browsing, Kinect and "lifestyle" stuff primarily. For Sony, PS4 is a games console that can stream media and do other things, for Microsoft the Next Xbox is a set top box that can play games

xbox can play games, ps3 can play games
    new gen xbox can play games , ps4 can play games

both can play the same type of games, both are close to the same graphics and hardware(old gen)

so if xbox want to branch out abit more and widen their options to more people
    whats wrong with that?
    their still focusing on gaming as a main for the xbox, streaming is mainly a bonus for people with the xbox so i dont get why yas are hating on xbox over it
    seems like a very fan boyish fight to be honest :pac:

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    their still focusing on gaming as a main for the xbox, streaming is mainly a bonus for people with the xbox

Source?

Oh, wait

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

at the moment, there is certainly a real danger that Xbox is going to concentrate on other aspects that don't appeal to us more so than Sony. It looks Sony are hoovering up some of the Indie developers and judging by the end of 360/PS3 cycle, its Sony who look more concerned about exclusives compared to the beginning when Xbox looked like the more hardcore of the two.

Hopefully Xbox can blow us away on May 21. If they can just get back to basics and concentrate on what they are good at for starters, they should be able to maintain their market share.

If there is anyone pretending to have fun on stage with Kinect and spend half the time talking about how great Kinect is, it's probably a lost sale from here and many others.

This is basically what I want from the reveal, just think Xbox instead of Sony for the video.

What's the last original IP that was an Xbox exclusive (and not a sequel)? They've lost their momentum completely in the last 3 years at MS. They're more concerned with letting people order pizzas online than presenting honest to god reasons for players to buy into another generation.

Absolutely no fanboyism here, I have no need for it since I get games and consoles free, but Sony have all the momentum here, and they have done for a while.

Xbla was the main thing MS had, and they've let that fall behind. PS+ is the kind of service I would expect if I was forking over money for a subscription. Free games or paying for the ability to pay for additional services?

If I was a punter there's only one answer to that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Source?

Oh, wait

source? please go away fanboy :) this is the xbox sub forum isnt it?

xbox plays games does it not? if an xbox plays games, and has been since the original xbox WHICH WAS DESIGNED TO PLAY GAMES, WHICH WAS BUILT TO PLAY GAMES
    then surely you'd call it a console
    media , streaming are all extras
    to which makes the xbox alot better then the ps3 IMO

if anything
    ps3 and their blue ray crap ( really just over priced dvd scam) makes the ps3 seem much more media like then anything else

again these are MY OPINIONS
    so try not to get butt hurt over it this time

edit : also i agree with you on ps+ one thing sony did right, although im not a fan of xbla, im more into playing games, and taking a break watching sky or netflix on the one machine
    hell if anything i would bet me house on it that next gen consoles will have alot more media involved and streaming
    anything to boost those sales up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement