Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

EnterNow wrote: »
    Yeah we know its still a rumour, but given recent trends of online passes etc, this would be a natural evolution of the same thing. The cynic in me sometimes wonders did they release this 'no 2nd hand games' to get the idea of it into peoples minds so there's no surprises when it comes time to part with your money.

Make no mistake, the practice of Gamestop etc selling used games at €5 below the new price has to stop, its ridiculous
    Yeah. If you could 'Trade-in' your Games on Demand games for a percentage off the price of a new one (or for MSP, etc.), that would really be useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I'd say they'd care about 20 million potentially lost sales.

They would, but it's nowhere close to that number

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Not viable on a world wide scale

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Im outraged brah

• Registered Users Posts: 55,470 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Moved to Xbox from Games.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

This concept and the resulting current stories are all based off a year-old report of a system detailed and leaked for operating this kind of system.

Most importantly Sony has since announced there will be no such measures on the PS4, making Microsoft utterly suicidal to persist with it on the 720.

MS don't have the year head-start on Sony this generation either so as playing fields go it's pretty level. Something simple like being able to share a game with your mates after you've finished it is an obvious mind-up-maker.

That's before you even mention pre-owned games trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Seriously? THIS... AGAIN?

I think I'm actualy lookng forward to the reveal of the next xbox more so now to stop all these stupid "ERMERGERD next box bans used games outrage" threads than I am the actual console itself.

he same happened with the ps4 and low and behold that was also proven to be total BS that seemed to hang about like a bad stink simply because games websites KEEP posting the same themed article just cause they know there is no news like bad news for driving hits to their site.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

From microsofts creative directors twitter...

fulDo2f.jpg

They cant be this stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

It's been the top of the front page of reddit for the last few hours. I can't see this going any other way than a serious back down on Microsoft's part now (assuming they planned to have it require online). They could have forced it through until today's twitter mess but I think the massive negative publicity of this along with the anger surrounding Simcity being quite fresh will force them to take action. If they don't the console will be dead before it's even officially announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Ignoring what he was actually saying there, the way he said it was very unprofessional. I reckon he'll get a slap on the wrist at the very least for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I'm sure Microsoft has long been brainstorming how to make more of their consoles connected to Live.

The average revenue per connected system is probably much much higher than for offline systems.

The only way to compel people to connect their system is to make basic functioning require the net.

That's probably the thing Microsoft is thinking of here - other consequences be damned. I don't think Microsoft necessarily cares to have your custom if you're going to be an offline consumer.

It, of course, also has some publisher-pleasing side effects for second hand games and games sharing etc. But those things can be controlled in other ways. I think this is purely about Microsoft saying goodbye to lower-value offline customers.

edit - don't get me wrong though. I don't support this. Just trying to think why MS would do something that seems so unnecessary and stupid on the surface.

LookingFor wrote: »
    It, of course, also has some publisher-pleasing side effects for second hand games and games sharing etc. But those things can be controlled in other ways. I think this is purely about Microsoft saying goodbye to lower-value offline customers.

Publishers have a huge case of wanting their cake and eating it. Sure they love the idea of a console that would potentially stop used games ... a lot of good that idea would do them if no one actually buys the platform for that very reason.

I have no worries about my net connection for reasons I wont go into here. I can be assured of my connection never being out but even knowing that I simply would not buy a console that required it. Its an un neccesary restriction that is there to benefit a company and gives me NOTHING in return.

The vast vast majority of gamers detest always on DRM and for good reason yet still knowing this majority opinion and also knowing the only competition is NOT going down this route if MS are still persuing this course of action they are ether massivley confident of their hardware or massivly misguided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

I'd be amazed if there was an always online requirement for all games on the new xbox.

That said - I'd be amazed if there wasn't a one time connection required for each game based on a key that came with the box - this kills the used game market and they have enough protection in the console itself (as opposed to a PC) to make "always on" not needed as a form of DRM to stop piracy.

MS's DRM is currently quite generous - compared say to the DRM in the new Wii U - which is a disaster - games bought online are locked to an account - that account is locked to a Wii - you cannot play your games on someone else's Wii (or indeed a 2nd wii in your own house) and if you lose or have your Wii stolen you lose everything you own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Surely going down this road is commercial suicide, unless both MS & Sony do it. If MS implements it & Sony doesn't...thats my next console decided anyway.

pH wrote: »
    MS's DRM is currently quite generous - compared say to the DRM in the new Wii U - which is a disaster - games bought online are locked to an account - that account is locked to a Wii - you cannot play your games on someone else's Wii (or indeed a 2nd wii in your own house) and if you lose or have your Wii stolen you lose everything you own.

Nintendo have said they will address that in time, but yeah, its a pretty archaic system in this day & age.

What happened with purchases made on the original XBL on the first Xbox console? If your console broke after the service was discontinued, was there any way to retrieve what you paid for on a replacement console?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Oh dear :)

3tpl21.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Surely going down this road is commercial suicide, unless both MS & Sony do it. If MS implements it & Sony doesn't...thats my next console decided anyway.

I'm with you there, as it stands MS (without showing me their next console, or specs) have me as a customer to loose. I've seen the ps4 presentation, nothing blew me away but it seems like a solid option all the same. That said, sony are a diabolical company (IMO) with worthless aftersales support so there's no draw for me to go there - but I like gaming, and if MS want to fuck it up I will buy the ps4 and continue to enjoy what games i have on the x360, but the next xbox won't be for me.

We're not too far from learning the truth anyway.

Oh dear :)

3tpl21.jpg

I prefer the Simcity one ;)

Seriously, who let this chimp near a Twitter feed considering his position, attitude and sensitive timing for the brand!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

inXnRfO.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

There is no way that the nextbox is going to need constant online connection. MS loves money, particularly money from everyone in the family, so they will cater for everyone, as they always do. May need a connection to XBL to verify games at the start, though, which will piss people off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What happened with purchases made on the original XBL on the first Xbox console? If your console broke after the service was discontinued, was there any way to retrieve what you paid for on a replacement console?

All your downloads from the Original console carried over to the 360 alright, I remember having to re-download halo 2 and rainbow 6 map packs to my 360 when it came out, there was no issue with that, nor bringing over my gamertag, was as easy as signing in on the new console....

Fieldog wrote: »
    All your downloads from the Original console carried over to the 360 alright, I remember having to re-download halo 2 and rainbow 6 map packs to my 360 when it came out, there was no issue with that, nor bringing over my gamertag, was as easy as signing in on the new console....

Thats fine when backwards compatability was being offered by the successor console...I know the PS4 has ruled out BC, not sure about the next Xbox though? If say there is no bc from either, & after the service has stopped supporting the 360...what happens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Thats fine when backwards compatability was being offered by the successor console...I know the PS4 has ruled out BC, not sure about the next Xbox though? If say there is no bc from either, & after the service has stopped supporting the 360...what happens then?

Interesting question, hopefully they can work xbla games over to the new consoles at least....

I doubt all games will be BC, but maybe some of the bigger titles will be, I'd say it would be easier for 360 games to be BC due to the similar architecture with the 360, whereas the ps4 BC I thought would have been out due to the Linux type architecture of the PS3, (compared to the new ps4 )but Sony seemingly have a solution with this Gakai cloud company they recently acquired, to half stream, half play from disc, how it will work I don't think they even know yet, interesting times ahead.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Well the whole DLC crap and lack of creativity in the market has turned me off, but this is the last straw. I've totally lost interesting in modern gaming. I'll stick with the consoles I have and retro gaming. It wouldn't surprise me if the crash of 83 is going to repeat itself soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

All I see coming is an expansion of the current "online pass" crap into some single player games making them near worthless at trade-in time.
    Those passes really do grind my gears :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

It's already there. Season Pass for the DLC for Borderlands 2 etc. Single player chunks of game.

Now the problem is that the DLC is rarely as good as Gearbox's efforts. Borderlands DLC is typically lengthy and has some love put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

As I said, your gripe in this instance is with your ISP. You can't complain about a company because the other company that is supposed to be supplying a reliable service for ample remuneration isn't working. That'd be like complaining to MS if you couldn't avail of your Gold membership benefits because your ISP had problems. You'd have a point if you couldn't connect over Christmas because the XBL servers are down, but that never happens because they have a vested interest in fixing any issues on their end as quickly as possible.
    It's still pertinent. I think the always online reports are absolute nonsense, not going to happen... But in terms of a hypothetical situation where it was being brought in, your ISP and the actual Xbox Live service potentially going down are big issues from the perspective of the gamer. It doesn't matter on what end the issue is, the issue is that a stupid design decision is stopping the gamer from playing the games they bought. I don't see why the distinction on where the blame lies is interesting or relevant, to be honest.
    My point is that it is already happening to a huge amount of people and has been for years. I don't remember the last time the XBL servers were down for a serious period of time..
    Connecting to a server is a two way street. The point is still valid.
    Depends on how they do it. They could make it so that you have to authenticate when you initially buy it, download a file to unlock some functionality in the game, and from there you can play even offline.
    No, I expect the story of games reliant on internet connection is a load of nonsense. If there is an always online component it is likely the console is in a low powered state. In this low powered state, they'd allow you to set downloads from say xbox.com and it'll download. They want to have an ecosystem of the console, PC, smartphone, tablet.

Games requiring to be online, need an authentication like you suggest? I don't expect it, but it wouldn't be very wise of me to buy such a thing. I'll be moving during the summer, most likely, but where I'm at now, I can't get my consoles online. At all. The internet is fine, but the consoles are offline exclusive. Sure, I'll go somewhere better but having my consoles dependent on onine wouldn't be very smart. Again, I say, it doesn't matter one whit if it is an issue on the Xbox Live end or not, an issue with the online is going to be an issue for the person.
    PaulieC wrote: »
    Paranoid much ? I think you should probably spend less time in the Conspiracy Theories forum ;)
    I don't think it is paranoid. I don't think it is correct, either, but rival businesses can be known to work together, e.g. a pricing that they will both charge at so they both can profit. Though, these kinds of things can be undercut when one of them starts to sell cheaper than the rival and gets the business as a result.
    COYVB wrote: »
    How many Xbox owners do you know who've never had one die on them?
    Because I know millions of Xbox 360 owners, so my knowledge of console breakage is statistically relevant. Oh, wait.
    See what? This is only a rumour. And people are getting all worked up over it. There were similar rumours about the PS3 and it's system of preventing second hand games before it's release.
    I called that bull too, despite the fact that had a patent to the fact backing it up. Well, the used games part.
    I don't have a windows phone, but you use your gamertag on that, you use it on Games for Windows Live... Them bringing your gamertag with no fuss is a no brainer. It'll be the easiest thing for them not to feck up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Pushtrak wrote: »
    Because I know millions of Xbox 360 owners, so my knowledge of console breakage is statistically relevant. Oh, wait.

It's an open question really. Personally, I know of maybe 2 owners out of hundreds who haven't had to buy a replacement. Most people I know would be the same, they'd know one or two out of the whole lot. That's a lot of people, and although a single person's experience isn't necessarily statistically relevant, the fact that pretty much everyone shares the same experience (coupled with the 30% failure rated mooted by reputable sources a while back) suggests that millions upon millions of people have had to buy replacements

• Advertisement

I wonder if it was only the Durango {dev kits} that had the restriction of always having to be online/connected to a server...in order to make them useless if unofficially sold on as is sometimes what happens....? This could simply be a dev kit restriction, rather then anything they may place on a retail sku

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement