Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Durango was just a code name. The PS3 was Orbis. Anyway, 720 is shorter to write even if it's a stupid name (which again wasn't ever going to actually be its name) though the name is going to be one of the things of lesser importance about the console. Wonder what kind of exclusives they'll have. Going in to the 360, they looked stronger for exclusives than they seem to look now, for instance, Bethesda and BioWare had been console exclusive to Microsoft, something that is no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I think alot of people will still call it the 720 well after its launch.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

nah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

-=al=- wrote: »
    But... what will they call the next one after infinity...??

Dave

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭mlindsay215

COYVB wrote: »
    Dave

I suspect it will actually be Xbox : 42.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

When is this being unveiled folks?

When is this being unveiled folks?

21st of this month.

I might be wrong here, but I don't think fusion is anything to do with next gen Xbox hardware

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Hopefully M$ learn from $ony...and actually SHOW a flippin' console!

Yeah I hope we actually get to see one. I'd say we will anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

any 1 know how they came up with the "xbox 360" name in th efirst place

We will, or for one thing, Major Nelson will lose a lot of credibility. He I think tweeted something along the lines of [paraphrased] a console unveil without showing the console? That's one approach. This was soon after the Playstation Meeting. Saw it on an article somewhere.

Hopefully M$ learn from $ony...and actually SHOW a flippin' console!

The console is the least important bit. It's a plastic case ffs

Oh, when I posted, I hadn't refreshed in a while so I didn't see the question as to why it was called the 360. There are two ideas I hear generally. One is, they didn't want to have "Xbox 2" compete with "Playstation 3" and another is that a 360, like a revolution, as in revolution in gaming.

True. But its still nice to see what it looks like, seeing as its going to be visible in my living room. If it was the shape of a giant pink dildo I wouldn't be too keen on buying it and having it under my telly.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

naughto wrote: »
    any 1 know how they came up with the "xbox 360" name in th efirst place

It was xbox number 2 competing with a Playstation 3 so they wanted to avoid a lower digit while claiming a 'revolution' - 360 degrees.

True. But its still nice to see what it looks like, seeing as its going to be visible in my living room. If it was the shape of a giant pink dildo I wouldn't be too keen on buying it and having it under my telly.

Because that's likely...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,311 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

It's nice to see the console itself, its going to be under your TV for hopefully a long time and gives us something tangible to look forward to. I want to see what ports it has, where they are, what the disc tray or slot is like, anything new or quirky....

If it looks good, it makes the console just that bit more desirable. If it was 'just a piece of plastic'. then Slim models of handhelds and consoles wouldn't sell as well as they do.

I can wait til E3 to see what both PS4 and NextBox look like though

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭StickyIcky

Where would you put it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Can't see MS not showing the actually console, they'll be chomping at the bit to trump Sony and simply showing the machine will be an easy win. People are correct in saying it doesn't matter what it looks like, but it does in the context of these big reveal events where visuals are key.

Curious as to what exclusives will launch with it, only just dawned on me that it's probably too early for the second installment in this new Gears trilogy, a new Halo is a given though of course. I reckon there's great opportunities for new IPs as a result, especially with the likes of Destiny being multi platform and Sony announcing so many developers as being on board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

What I want to know is are my arcade games gonna be playable on the new console I have serious money invested in downloaded games.. Think calendar has a huge arcade library if I'm right too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I wouldn't be so sure, it gives a 'face to the name', & gives the console an identity. I'm certainly interested in how it looks, now that we've a decent idea of the specs of it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

What I want to know is are my arcade games gonna be playable on the new console I have serious money invested in downloaded games.. Think calendar has a huge arcade library if I'm right too...

I wouldn't hold my breath for that tbh, surely keep your 360 if you want to keep your arcade games I would imagine?

I doubt it, but hey look on the bright side...now you'll get to buy them all again :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Fieldog wrote: »
    I wouldn't hold my breath for that tbh, surely keep your 360 if you want to keep your arcade games I would imagine?

Ah sure if it comes to that I can keep the Xbox 360 sure the most I imagine trade in when new console launches is 60-70 euro.. So no harm keeping it.

StickyIcky wrote: »
    Where would you put it then?

In my wardrobe when out at work :pac:

EnterNow wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure, it gives a 'face to the name', & gives the console an identity

It does all of those things no matter what it looks like though

What does?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

You don't want to give the name a sh!t face.

• Advertisement

EnterNow wrote: »
    What does?
    Any console, presumably, as in whatever it looks like it will function the same. I'd disagree and I have a practical example that shows this. The original Xbox got criticised as a big black box, bulky, too big, et cetera. They designed the 360 to be smaller, and instead of the hard drive being internal, and the system bigger, they made it smaller.

To the detriment of the console in terms of overheating. Course, we couldn't have predicted the console would overheat so just on the basis of seeing the console on a stage, for example, so us just seeing what it looks like isn't really beneficial even in this context.

Still, though, it will matter, as there are enough people for whom the look of the console will really be that big a deal. I'll be looking at other factors, particularly one factor. How good the games are. The controller will be important, too, obviously, but even at that, trying is better than seeing, though it'll give something of an idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement