Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    source? please go away fanboy :) this is the xbox sub forum isnt it?

TBH I don't think its fanboi talk. I'm one of those folks who just doesnt have the time to get both consoles and play each platforms exclusives titles so I stick to one per generation and this and last gen it was XBOX or me but I have to agree with everything he's saying here.

MS's focus is on being everything else first THEN a games console. Considering the money, time and manpower needed to properly make a console and its attached online service to work properly a console manufacturers companies focus needs to be on the gaming aspect first and foremost.

Bells and whistles are great, hell, one would argue bells and whistles set one product aside from another but they have to be built around a solid core but in XBOXs case the core of gaming has been neglected to a huge degree in recent years.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

all i'm hearing is the sound of more nails being hammered in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

source? please go away fanboy :) this is the xbox sub forum isnt it?

I assure you, it's not in my nature to be tribal about pieces of plastic with silicone chips in them - in fact, it's my business to be as objective as possible about them. You're the only one showing any vaguely fanboyish tendencies here
    xbox plays games does it not? if an xbox plays games, and has been since the original xbox WHICH WAS DESIGNED TO PLAY GAMES, WHICH WAS BUILT TO PLAY GAMES
    then surely you'd call it a console
    media , streaming are all extras

That is absolutely the case with the 360 - however there's a concerted effort within MS to make its successor a set-top box first and foremost. That's where the income is for them, as far as they see it. Better to have people on monthly rolling deals with services they may or may not use more than a handful of times a week, which sees MS get a cut, than hoping they buy FIFA and COD every year. You seem to be confusing the current generation model with what's coming later this year, with zero basis in anything apart from your imagination. That's fair enough

again these are MY OPINIONS
    so try not to get butt hurt over it this time

Why would I get butthurt? I couldn't care less what console does what. I'm given them all regardless. If one is crap, I'm not out of pocket. I have zero loyalty to any company, nor should I given the fact that I work in the industry and impartiality is very important

• Registered Users Posts: 6,290 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

all i'm hearing is the sound of more nails being hammered in...

Lets give them until May 21st and maybe e3 as well. The signs are not good though for Xbox right now.

I just hope some of the rumours are not true and the PS4 reveal proved some of rumours to be false, namely the second-hand game lockdown.

Keep your minds open until we know more.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    the PS4 reveal proved some of rumours to be false, namely the second-hand game lockdown.

It didn't. All they said is that it's capable of playing pre-owned games. They didn't say that it won't cost you a pretty penny for the privilege

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Ignore any scaremongering..

My three fave consoles in my lifetime were nes, snes and the 360 I'm not listening to bull**** speculation ill wait for microsofts OFFICIAL unveil and you should all do the same before pledging ps4 lads remember the ps3 was and had serious flaws too. The two consoles are gonna be very similar not that much between them... After that its personal choice...

Sony were cute as buck announcing theirs first leaving thoughts that you can play used games but you might have to pay 15-20 euro for the privilege to do so..

I personally can't stand sons dash layout, the service they offer is terrible and controllers are tiny and badly laid out analogue stick wise.

If Microsoft offer me what I have with the new console but with next gen graphics and gameplay I am sold now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

depending on the final console, i may not be buying another console this generation.

not too bothered by what ive seen/heard from sony so far, so unless the 720 is really really good, im investing the cash into my pc instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I like games.....

I have an Xbox 360 first and got a PS3 after

So far Sony are all about the games, if Microsoft go down the social features route again like they did with Kinect, dragons, I'm out....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I seen one in CEX last week

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

MOD: Guys and gals, am merging the "Xbox720" threads.

Please keep on topic. I will be keeping an eye on fanbois from both sides. Please do not engage anyone attempting to troll - instead, please use the report function.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

FutureGuy wrote: »
    MOD: Guys and gals, am merging the "Xbox720" threads.

Please keep on topic. I will be keeping an eye on fanbois from both sides. Please do not engage anyone attempting to troll - instead, please use the report function.
    You merged the Kinect accessories thread too :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Meesared wrote: »
    You merged the Kinect accessories thread too :p

yeah I knew something had gone wrong lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

COYVB wrote: »

Why would I get butthurt? I couldn't care less what console does what. I'm given them all regardless. If one is crap, I'm not out of pocket. I have zero loyalty to any company, nor should I given the fact that I work in the industry and impartiality is very important

May I ask what you do as a job?

Prodigious wrote: »
    May I ask what you do as a job?

I write words about things in North America

I write words about things in North America

Like Baseball?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Like Baseball?

play_mlb2K13_400.jpg

Like Baseball?

Thankfully, no. I know practically nothing about baseball, although I'm learning. I write about games, the game industry and occasionally bits about mobile tech. I do some TV scripts occasionally too for game and tech related stuff. That's incredibly dull.

Based on the speculation so far I can't see me going near the next Xbox and when family ask me what to get for their kids the answer will be PS4. Unless things change quite a bit.

Sounds cool :D

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    It's rumoured to have an optical drive, probably something similar to a blu-ray drive but one that doesn't play Blu-Ray movies, something to do with licensing out the Blu-Ray name.

It is Sony's format after all, they can screw everyone on this.

I would reckon that this could be the last console generation that uses an optical drive, the shape of the land is changing but not enough yet to ditch Discs.

It is not SONY That owns the Blu-Ray format.
    Sony and Philips jointly started working on the format but then........

The Blu-ray Disc Founders (BDF) group was a collection of technology firms working together to develop and support the Blu-ray Disc. The Blu-ray Disc Founders was launched on May 20, 2002. As Blu-ray support grew progressively; announcements in 2004 included Hewlett Packard and Dell, which declared backing for the standard on January 12, 2004, and TDK on March 19, 2004. It announced that Blu-ray Disc Founders will shift to Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) in October on May 18, 2004. It shifted to Blu-ray Disc Association on October 4, 2004.
    The companies are:
    Sony Corporation
    20th Century Fox
    Dell
    Hewlett Packard
    Hitachi
    LG Electronics
    Panasonic Corporation
    Mitsubishi Electric
    Philips
    Pioneer
    Samsung Electronics
    Sharp
    TDK
    Thomson

BTW. I hope the new XBox has the blu-ray drive, if it has I can get rid of my PS3.
    Nothing against the PS3 but I prefer the XBox for gaming.

• Advertisement

It'll have a Blu-ray drive alright, but it won't play Blu-ray movies as that incurs a licensing fee

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

It'll have a Blu-ray drive alright, but it won't play Blu-ray movies as that incurs a licensing fee
    Could they not potentially just release a slightly more expensive 720 for people who want a blu-ray player or maybe even sell a software update on XBL?
    If MS are really shifting focus towards entertainment it would seem foolish to omit it considering the hardware is there and it would make people more inclined to use their 720 for Netflix etc

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

For me, blu-ray is a dead format. I'll never buy a blu-ray player, nor any blu-ray discs, there's no need for it when there are alternative options, netflix, as you mention, love film and itunes do a wonderful job and I imagine such alternatives will only continue to expand.
    Making blu-ray playback an optional purchase is a good idea, it saves me money but still enables blu-ray playback if required.

Could they not potentially just release a slightly more expensive 720 for people who want a blu-ray player or maybe even sell a software update on XBL?
    If MS are really shifting focus towards entertainment it would seem foolish to omit it considering the hardware is there and it would make people more inclined to use their 720 for Netflix etc

They could, but they don't make any money out of Blu-ray sales, they do, on the other hand, make money out of subscriptions purchased through Xbox Live

For me, blu-ray is a dead format. I'll never buy a blu-ray player, nor any blu-ray discs, there's no need for it when there are alternative options, netflix, as you mention, love film and itunes do a wonderful job and I imagine such alternatives will only continue to expand.
    Making blu-ray playback an optional purchase is a good idea, it saves me money but still enables blu-ray playback if required.

That's all well and good for people who have fast unlimited broadband, but we don't all live in the city, so downloading movies is not really an option.
    We are 10+ years listening to successive governments telling us we will all have fast reliable BB in a few years......
    We have a nice little collection of blu-ray movies and until we get real BB will continue to buy them.

Wow, had a frekin' weird dream last night, I met "Major Nelson" in Eason's and he is a 4 ft. nothing Indian midget, but the lil' fecker tells me that the new XBox will not have a Blu-ray drive. DAMN!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Not too worried about whatever direction MS want to take the console. As long as it will play the games I like, has a service that is reliable and as durable as Xbox LIVE is currently and keeps the cross party chat element, I'm happy enough.

It'd be nice to get some new IP but my favourite games have rarely ever been original IP from the hardware manufacturer. Let's have a look at Sony, who have been mentioned on this thread as being streets ahead of MS when it comes to original IP.

Sony have GT, which is amazing if you're a fan of racing games, and MS have Forza. Uncharted, for me, is decent but not something I'd wet my pants over. Then they had Resistance, Killzone and a few other Halo-lite shooters. LBP which looked great but didn't really live up to expectations and Heavy Rain which wasn't my cup of tea at all.

I suppose the argument can be put forward that at least they're trying to release their own first party games but the reality is that my favourite games of the last 5 years have been 3rd party. The Fallouts, the Elder Scrolls, Battlefield, the Arkhams, the Bioshocks, Borderlands, Assassin's Creed etc are the biggest selling games on either console and they're what I like to play.

The original IP released on either side has been underwhelming in comparison so it's not what will affect my decision. That being said, I'll probably buy both :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 broscientist27

Lets hope the 720 isin't stupidly overpriced, and RROD is a thing of the past!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Well, if you want to avoid both over pricing and hardware design surprises of the wrong kind just wait 18 months until they drop the prices of the hardware by at least 25% and are into the consoles 3rd iteration by which time they'll have fixed all the latent hardware issues inherent in launch machines.
    Also, you'll be getting a firmware that will actually work, rather than the glorified beta test that using launch hardware usually is.
    And I'm not exaggerating, just look at the example of MS, Sony and Nintendo.

Makes one pine for the days when a machine was what it was a launch, the thing just worked and we didn't wait on tenterhooks for the firmware to be updated so to fix the stuff they broke in the last firmware update.
    And we didn't wish they'd build a console that didn't try to cook itself.
    And we didn't get a console that insisted we flick through interminable pages and icons to find the one that starts the damn game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Anyone have any solid info on the new name? Will it be the 720 or the Durango or something else?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement