Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox One - General Discussion (NO DISCUSSION REGARDING PS4 - MOD WARNING Post 6903)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Its highly likely its not real, this rumour has been knocking around since before the Xbox 360 and PS3, there is still a sizable percentage of Xbox and PS3 users who don't have an internet connection on their consoles, Microsoft and Sony won't want to alienate these customers. It doesn't make sense from a business standpoint......yet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

I'm gonna just buy a NES instead. **** them all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Personally I think its real...I think MS and Sony made some secret pact that BOTH of them would implement the tech to do away with the second hand market.

Paranoid much ? I think you should probably spend less time in the Conspiracy Theories forum ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Personally I think its real...I think MS and Sony made some secret pact that BOTH of them would implement the tech to do away with the second hand market.

It just makes sense from their side and the games makers, I am sure everyone would like to see the end of Gamestop for example.

I think its legit......:(
    I don't know if it does make sense when it comes down to it. There are many games I wouldn't have bothered buying if I couldn't off-set some of the price with a trade in. There are many on boards that often rush out to offers from the likes of Gamestop of trade in 2 games and get GTA5 for a tener and the like. The amount who wouldn't bother or couldn't afford to take a punt would be massive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Meesared wrote: »
    Ithere is still a sizable percentage of Xbox and PS3 users who don't have an internet connection on their consoles, Microsoft and Sony won't want to alienate these customers. It doesn't make sense from a business standpoint......yet

There's not actually. It's a relatively tiny minority that aren't connected in some way, shape or form

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    There's not actually. It's a relatively tiny minority that aren't connected in some way, shape or form
    Maybe in Europe, US and Japan, not so much elsewhere, anyway, even a tiny minority when your talking about console sales could be a few million

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

PaulieC wrote: »
    Paranoid much ? I think you should probably spend less time in the Conspiracy Theories forum ;)

You think its paranoid to think that MS & Sony want to capitalize on game sales & kill off the 2nd hand market? Sure it is...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

You'll actualy find the percentage of people in the developed world (target markets) who have an active broadband subscription is actually only 56% as of 2011.

If you make a console that you need to have always connected to a "decent" internet source then you can kiss goodbye to that potential 44% of the market and NO manufacturer would willingly give up that kind of market share.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_broadband_Internet_subscriptions

hightower1 wrote: »
    You'll actualy find the percentage of people in the developed world (target markets) who have an active broadband subscription is actually only 56% as of 2011.

If you make a console that you need to have always connected to a "decent" internet source then you can kiss goodbye to that potential 44% of the market and NO manufacturer would willingly give up that kind of market share.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_number_of_broadband_Internet_subscriptions

100% of the population of the developed world are not gamers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

100% of the population of the developed world are not gamers

Marketers do not look at potential sales this way.
    Anyone not already sold to or upsold to in an area or position to purchase a product IS a potential sale to be made.

If you remove the ability for MS to sell to this 44% they are DEFINITLY not MS gamers and MS sales and as I said.... no company will activly make a decision to close off a potential market share of 44% - NO one.

You seem to think MS dont want to sell to these people and also dont want to expand its consumer base to be outside just the "gamer" demographic.... their marketing strategy and diversifying product portfolio over the last 5 years would say otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'm not sure that it is 100% accurate. I am sure that there will be some form of attempt to limit (or monetise) second hand sales, but requiring a network connection to enable play is a non-runner, really.

Look at the issues Ubisoft have had with their DRM on the PC that required a permanent Network connection to allow play.

If you rule out anything malicious (DDoS attacks, etc.) there are other things such as outage weekends (for Server maintenance, etc.) or inconsistent broadband connections that drop out (but that never happens in Ireland :)).

All of these factors are outside the control of Microsoft or Sony - so they would be entrusting the customer's image of the product to something they can't control. Unless they can guarantee 99.99999% uptime for almost every user, they will get some very disgruntled users and their brand would take a hit.

How many times could you see stories that "XBox is down again" - when it's just eircom broadband that is down, or UPC, or EA are just taking their servers down for maintenance.

We'll see - and I stand to be corrected - but I don't foresee the permanent network connection thing sticking around before launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Its a pretty sizeable amount IGN did an article a while back on it..around 20 million Xbox's aren't connected to the internet

Dave1711 wrote: »
    Its a pretty sizeable amount IGN did an article a while back on it..around 20 million Xbox's aren't connected to the internet

That's probably because they're dead RROD devices

That's probably because they're dead RROD devices

Over 25% of all Xbox's sold are dead? Unlikely, I'd say the amount of people who are just interested in offline story based gaming is underestimated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Microsoft-Xbox-Xbox-360-Sales-Units-Sold-Kinect-Sales,21039.html

EnterNow wrote: »
    Over 25% of all Xbox's sold are dead?

How many Xbox owners do you know who've never had one die on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

Over 25% of all Xbox's sold are dead? Unlikely,

From personel experience I would say it is very likely , but then I take any of the sales numbers Microsoft and Sony put out with a pinch of salt.

How many Xbox owners do you know who've never had one die on them?

Me for starters. I've three of them, two jtags & a slim for online use. Never had a single issue. Thats not to say that the RROD isn't a big problem, but one in every four sold are dead I'd find hard to believe. Surely there would be a massive consumer issue over a failure rate that big? Imagine if a quarter of all sold laptops sold by Dell were failing, a failure rate that high would surely be dealt with?
    Clover wrote: »
    but then I take any of the sales numbers Microsoft and Sony put out with a pinch of salt.

Very true

Me for starters. I've three of them, two jtags & a slim for online use. Never had a single issue. Thats not to say that the RROD isn't a big problem, but one in every four sold are dead I'd find hard to believe. Surely there would be a massive consumer issue over a failure rate that big? Imagine if a quarter of all sold laptops sold by Dell were failing, a failure rate that high would surely be dealt with?

Very true
    Id just like to add, neither of my consoles have died on me, one is a launch day one, only replaced it cos it was too noisy for Netflix use

RROD WAS a massive consumer issue. Here you go, http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-360-failure-rate-237-ps3-10-wii-27-study-6216691

23.7% failure rate

And if you really want to get a surprise, here's a quote from Microsoft that doesn't refute claims of a 54% failure rate (the numbers came from a 5,000 person survey conducted by Game Informer) despite being asked to comment about it specifically

http://gizmodo.com/5344302/microsoft-responds-to-542-xbox-360-failure-rate-claim-doesnt-dispute-it

• Advertisement

RROD WAS a massive consumer issue. Here you go, http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-360-failure-rate-237-ps3-10-wii-27-study-6216691

23.7% failure rate

Thats pretty high, though the results are only based off one company who serviced warranties in the UK of 16,000 consoles. I know that'd probably transfer up to worldwide figures though, have to say I'm surprised its that high.

MS in fairness did extend the warranty, unlike Sony.

have to say I'm surprised its that high.

That actually surprises me. The failure rate has been absolutely astronomical (though they sorted it out in the last few years), and has massively skewed everything from sales figures to the percentage of online Xboxes.

That actually surprises me

I admittedly didn't realize the rates were that high. I mean, I knew it was bad...but to think 25% of total sold have failed, thats insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

That actually surprises me. The failure rate has been absolutely astronomical (though they sorted it out in the last few years), and has massively skewed everything from sales figures to the percentage of online Xboxes.

I'm surprised it's that low as well. I'd have guessed Xenon failures as easily being in the 90%s - going by the spectacular ****e production yields and the experience of everyone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Over 25% of all Xbox's sold are dead? Unlikely, I'd say the amount of people who are just interested in offline story based gaming is underestimated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Microsoft-Xbox-Xbox-360-Sales-Units-Sold-Kinect-Sales,21039.html

This is exactly why this rumour is BS. MS won't release a device that requires online activation. It would be a stupid mistake. There are lots of people out there who have never connected their 360 to the internet.

This is exactly why this rumour is BS. MS won't release a device that requires online activation. It would be a stupid mistake. There are lots of people out there who have never connected their 360 to the internet.

There are far, far less people than MS would need to care

I'd say they'd care about 20 million potentially lost sales.

Yeah its looking that way, maybe they see this as a way to 'incentivise' people to connect their consoles as well as a means of capitalizing on profits

Yeah its looking that way, maybe they see this as a way to 'incentivise' people to connect their consoles as well as a means of capitalizing on profits

See what? This is only a rumour. And people are getting all worked up over it. There were similar rumours about the PS3 and it's system of preventing second hand games before it's release.

• Advertisement

See what? This is only a rumour. And people are getting all worked up over it. There were similar rumours about the PS3 and it's system of preventing second hand games before it's release.

Yeah we know its still a rumour, but given recent trends of online passes etc, this would be a natural evolution of the same thing. The cynic in me sometimes wonders did they release this 'no 2nd hand games' to get the idea of it into peoples minds so there's no surprises when it comes time to part with your money.

Make no mistake, the practice of Gamestop etc selling used games at €5 below the new price has to stop, its ridiculous

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement