Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Gettin gusty here in Dublin. So I assume it's worse in the west. Bring it on....

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If the map I've just seen on Sky News is anything like what happens, tomorrow could be more than "interesting" for the northern half of the country.

They have just shown a significant bank of snow coming down from the North on a strong Westerly, but then managed to get a large "lump" of white precipitation coming down from the North towards the Eastern side of Leinster, to about Wicklow. Quite how we get a Northerly flow in a predominantly Westerly flow at the moment eludes me, but if it happens, then a lot of bets are off,

Donegal and the North was not visible under the cover of cloud, and whatever is falling is going to be moving at significant speeds. The words hills and blizzards were mentioned several times, and to further east than Ireland, into the North of England as well.

In some respects, if it wasn't that a national broadcaster had just put it out on the air, comments like this would be more appropriate in the ramping thread, and I'm the first to acknowledge that right now, I don't have maps or good reason to validate that forecast. Sky must have something that they are basing this on, I am assuming that the latest models have moved up a gear on the next 24 hours weather.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

If the map I've just seen on Sky News is anything like what happens, tomorrow could be more than "interesting" for the northern half of the country.

They have just shown a significant bank of snow coming down from the North on a strong Westerly, but then managed to get a large "lump" of white precipitation coming down from the North towards the Eastern side of Leinster, to about Wicklow. Quite how we get a Northerly flow in a predominantly Westerly flow at the moment eludes me, but if it happens, then a lot of bets are off,

Donegal and the North was not visible under the cover of cloud, and whatever is falling is going to be moving at significant speeds. The words hills and blizzards were mentioned several times, and to further east than Ireland, into the North of England as well.

In some respects, if it wasn't that a national broadcaster had just put it out on the air, comments like this would be more appropriate in the ramping thread, and I'm the first to acknowledge that right now, I don't have maps or good reason to validate that forecast. Sky must have something that they are basing this on, I am assuming that the latest models have moved up a gear on the next 24 hours weather.

How did Mayo look?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

The wind has really picked up here all of a sudden, 5mins ago there was nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

Xenji wrote: »

How did Mayo look?
    10 degrees and sunny skies ;-)

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Wasnt expecting the wind to be this strong tonight!! (Castlebar)
    Me either its wild enough in Westport also.Hopefully some snow in similar winds tomorrow night!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dead Calm again, must've been just a passing Tornado

Xenji wrote: »
    How did Mayo look?

Lost underneath a very fast moving westerly flow, with white predominant from the latter part of the day onwards. Some of that was large wind arrows, the rest of it was white cloud, (snow), with few breaks in it.

Just been looking at the 2200 Met.ie forecast, and that too seems to have been upgraded in terms of what's going to be happening country wide, while they are suggesting a milder spell later in the week, they seem to be suggesting that the majority of the week is going to be cold, or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Some nice howling gusts in Sligo town at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Wind has been picking up the last hour here (location on left). Fairly gusty atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Wind also picking up here in Dundalk.

OK, can now provide some backing for that sky forecast.

http://weather-news.sky.com/weather/

Snow potential as far south as Galway Dublin line by 2100 tomorrow, and for a change, the Mournes are the snow shadow for the Isle of Man :D

Looks like an amazing streamer going over towards the UK from around Newry area, with possibilities as far south as Louth Meath border by that time.

Seems at odds to me with the guidance from other forecasts, but we're almost at the nowcasting stage with this, the winds over here on the East of Meath are a lot stronger already than I was expecting them to be, they've come up significantly over the last couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Just been looking at the 2200 Met.ie forecast, and that too seems to have been upgraded in terms of what's going to be happening country wide, while they are suggesting a milder spell later in the week, they seem to be suggesting that the majority of the week is going to be cold, or worse.
    I couldn't find anything in that 2200 ME forecast that mentions or even suggests a milder spell?
    The extended outlook suggests it will become colder still through next weekend with scattered outbreaks of rain, sleet and snow but a lot of dry weather too.

I couldn't find anything in that 2200 ME forecast that mentions or even suggests a milder spell?

Thursday will see the light northwesterly winds backing westerly but it will still be very cold and still another frosty night. It'll be mostly dry but outbreaks of rain will affect western areas at times.

That suggests to me that it's become slightly milder for a while before returning to cold or more. Rain means above zero for a while.

That said, ME have, along with everyone else, ramped the forecast compared to what we were seeing, and I will not be surprised to see that yellow warning up to Wednesday night get extended to some degree.

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Wind also picking up here in Dundalk.

Sounds stronger than any of the recent "events".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Sounds stronger than any of the recent "events".
    It does alright, gust of just over 60km/h a few minutes ago. I decided to pull my bin in, don't fancy picking up a load of rubbish in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Recent Gusts at 1am....Malin Head 50kts,Finner 49kts and 36kts at Knock....nice and breezy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Recent Gusts at 1am....Malin Head 50kts,Finner 49kts and 36kts at Knock....nice and breezy alright.
    Just got one super gust here that shook the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

showforecast.cgi?lightningmap=yes&fcstfile=2013020506_201302040038_0_stormforecast.xml

The thunderstorms will be sub-severe although convection over Ireland, UK, Belgium/the Netherlands and far NW Germany may be accompanied by strong to isolated severe wind gusts given strong LL flow. Marginal hail will be another issue given rapidly cooling lower/mid troposphere.

I've also made this animation showing thickness levels to give you an idea of the different airmass approaching. Note the source comes from Polar eastern Canada and Greenland and gets some maritime mixing but still able to hold its own to retain -40 air at 500mb. Also note the higher thickness levels around the low indicating the milder sector that will be over us come Tuesday afternoon.
    anim_9db42113-9286-8404-9d1e-aab085a3f556.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

I love this weather. So unpredictable even BBC said they didn't have a clue what showers will fall. Be a good day tomorrow. Looking out for t-storms along with blizzards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 weathernut

Just watching BBC forecast its giving heavy snow showers this monday eve down as far as limerick but says it will turn to rain and 7 degrees on Tuesday with NW winds:...... I thought Tuesday was going to be the snow day..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Lovely 'feed' of showers can be seen this morning on sat over the North Atlantic. :)

http://www.sat24.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

yes please

ECM1-144.GIF

ECM1-168.GIF

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Now your talkin' WC! :) Nice undercut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Our estate is like a slalom course this morning with all the bins down,also very chilly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Gust of 61knots at Malin head 7.00am. Met.ie have enchanced wind gust of up 120kmph and later 130. too be caught in high level route with snow and tgose gusts would be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

Fairly blustery here in south Donegal. Really can't wait to see how this evening turns out, can't say I've ever seen it snow in high wind before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Very noisy here all night, hard to sleep wind and hail banging the window. Great snow and wind upgrade on met.ie. Pity to see the word melt on there for tuesday though, waste of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Both the UKMO and NW have upgraded the wind gusts for my postcode but drastically downgraded my risk of snow, from midnight last night when I went to bed. :(
    I seem to be getting alot of dry spells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Enjoy any over night snow as Yes it will be milder on Tuesday.

Some very windy conditions on the way. Enjoy while it lasts. Then perhaps a colder trend to follow but that's for a different thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement