Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options
1272829303133»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Dont think Waterford do as poor as people make out.

I moved here in 2008 and have seen lying snow in Feb 09, Jan 10, Nov/Dec 10 and for the first time in a non easterly direction Feb 2013 (short lived of course). Winter 11/12 was write off but it was for most I think.

We'll never be the snow capital but i think the location is always ripe for a good snow fall when the classic easterly returns.

Interesting to hear. I was basing my analysis on posts here. I'll go back to feeling sorry for us Corkonians (notwithstanding our recent snow successes).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Has turned very stormy and wet here in Castlebar in the last half hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

The mega hailstones have just returned to coastal Mayo

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Dispite last night saying I was going to turn off the weather apps, as they were giving different weather to what I was witnessing, still looking at them to get an idea of what might happen.

Anyhow, they're giving a change of snow this weekend again in Sligo, what do the experts think? As for tonight, no trance left of last nights and this mornings snow, but its bloody cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Dont think Waterford do as poor as people make out.

I moved here in 2008 and have seen lying snow in Feb 09, Jan 10, Nov/Dec 10 and for the first time in a non easterly direction Feb 2013 (short lived of course). Winter 11/12 was write off but it was for most I think.

We'll never be the snow capital but i think the location is always ripe for a good snow fall when the classic easterly returns.

Well said Jerry, Pre 2009 we had many barren years but things have improved greatly since then. Today was unique though as it was the first snow we got in many years from a non North Easterly or Easterly direction. Hopefully a few more significant falls before the end of the Winter :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

irish-stew wrote: »
    Dispite last night saying I was going to turn off the weather apps, as they were giving different weather to what I was witnessing, still looking at them to get an idea of what might happen.

Anyhow, they're giving a change of snow this weekend again in Sligo, what do the experts think? As for tonight, no trance left of last nights and this mornings snow, but its bloody cold.

The guys are slightly interested in the weekend. There doesn't seem to be any interesting up until then but that can change. If the models push cold from the East (From mainland Europe to Ireland), you might see a lot of activity over in the Model Thread. =P

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

I've given up on snow in Sligo. Insane hailstones, and the windiest wind ever, but no snow.

*shakes fist at snowless sky*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,338 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Two locations have a bit of a chance to see snow late tonight or tomorrow, those being higher parts of Mayo into Galway (west) and also parts of Donegal; and, higher slopes of Wicklow. Both chances are somewhat marginal but we may get a report or two. Then it's on to Thursday night for any possible "surprise snow" in a milder battleground scenario that is mostly likely to be rain or sleet. And for the weekend, the coldest of model solutions hint at snow making it to eastern parts of Ireland but I am currently rating those chances at about one in five. There has to be two conditions met, first of all, enough organization of a frontal wave ("slider") to produce any precip, then having enough cold air feeding in from a source well to the east in time to change that precip to snow. It could happen, especially if the models shift features west after today's runs. The situation on the larger scale is now quite uncertain in a zone extending from Iceland to southwest France, these regions including Ireland could end up on either side of a frontal boundary although the majority of model indications say mild side of the boundary which is most likely to run from western Scotland through Wales into central southern England and northern France. However at 96-120h that is not much of a distance to change for the better (or worse).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

MT, I am planning to climb Galtymore (900m) in Tipperary on the weekend.
    Which day would be optimum for snow cover and clear skies - Friday, Saturday or Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I've given up on snow in Sligo. Insane hailstones, and the windiest wind ever, but no snow.

*shakes fist at snowless sky*

I'd have loved some insane hailstones last night compared to the mushy sleet we had here so at least you got something interesting!

Looks almost like a repeat of the mid January spell on tonight's models for the coming week, stuck in the middle between the two air masses but without anything ever really happening. That shortwave on Sunday/Monday could be interesting if it develops more and then we have the Siberian High pushing ever further west so still a few prospects of cold weather. I'm nearly at the stage of longing for some good warmth and towering cumulus but I'll give it another few weeks yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Crazy wind all evening here again, frightening at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

Pangea wrote: »
    Crazy wind all evening here again, frightening at times.

Yep here too. Howling through the front door

• Registered Users Posts: 22 cp19 sleeper

Why is it telling me i cant attach any files?

More

A little green sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

More
    Where and when?

Deank wrote: »
    Where and when?
    North Leinster this morning at 6:30

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Freddie Mercurys Bolero

Nice pics Dean. I'm not at all jealous. Howley wind (technical term) here in Sligo too.

North Leinster this morning at 6:30
    I had similar this morning out by Mondello, slightly later approx 7.30am

Nice pics Dean. I'm not at all jealous. Howley wind (technical term) here in Sligo too.
    Not my pics they were the previous posters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

SE Tipp,AM
    603972_137079539790264_1187933059_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fr wishy washy

hawkwing wrote: »
    SE Tipp,AM
    603972_137079539790264_1187933059_n.jpg

Wish I was there.:mad:

where is this? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

It's snowing in Finland

red_bairn wrote: »

where is this? :eek:
    Between virginia and oldcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Snow_Storm_by_Vanilla105.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Tierradentro looks cold.....

Between virginia and oldcastle

Was that last night? I've been through Virginia, Cavan but not Oldcastle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

These thread's always attract the chancers, waltzing in and posting random photos from around the world of snow this one dating back to 2009 :rolleyes:

http://blog.timesunion.com/farmlife/2807/gmc-sierra-serious-dismay/

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement