Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Met Office have dropped warning now for Western half of Northern Ireland. Perhaps upgrading?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Almost 400 homes without power in Rossnowlagh, Co. Donegal area due to high winds.:(:rolleyes:

https://www.esb.ie/esb-networks/powercheck/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Met Office have dropped warning now for Western half of Northern Ireland. Perhaps upgrading?

No,I was hoping the same. Asked them they said unlikely to settle in west so no warning

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Weathering wrote: »
    No,I was hoping the same. Asked them they said unlikely to settle in west so no warning

God damn it! Glenshane Pass tonight then.. was hoping not having to travel far this time :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

irish1967 wrote: »

Agreed. You are getting the blasts about 15 mins before me. Some of the wind gusts are extreme. From nothing to extreme in a matter of seconds.:eek:

Had a similar experience here just now albeit for no more than 10 seconds, finally the first shower of the day anyway. From calm and sunny to hail and strong wind in a few seconds, actually made me jump with hail suddenly crashing against the window behind me!

An unremarkable day up to now but hopefully it starts to get interesting from now on, would prefer some good squally hail with thunder to slushy snow but can't be too fussy I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

Heavy Hail shower in Ballina approx 12:30 today, followed by some extremely heavy rain and strong winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Standard radar sites are next to useless today. PPN forms and moves so fast its working ahead of the radar delay hereon the NW coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Harps wrote: »

An unremarkable day up to now

This made me laugh. What on earth are you expecting, Armageddon?

Any way looks like a very blowy day and night with some heavy wintry showers and accompanied gusts creating blinding conditions at times. Some lying snow scattered around that should melt by tomorrow afternoon. This is what to expect really.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭rilz

The precip here is falling as snow at sea level on east coast when the showers pass over. Could be fun tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

Wet and windy here in Galway suddenly.

Armageddon is here!!!

(Or is that Armaghgeddon?)

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Have people seen the new warning symbols on the ME homepage?! Very fancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I dont understand why the MET UK have the warning for East Ulster, I thought it was the West that would be more favoured?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Some energy out there. Was only midday when it became awkward suddenly trying to push a buggy over the Sheriff Street bridge in Dublin with the wind. The shower wasn't even over me but well to the north but the wind coming from its direction was pretty strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Is it worth the risk of a trip by to galway in the car this evening?

irishgeo wrote: »
    Is it worth the risk of a trip by to galway in the car this evening?

By all means, come. We'd love to have you.

Seriously, I'm not a weather guru, but going by this thread , evening should be okay. Getting back may be different. Depends on when you plan to return.

Whiteout. Very squally blizzard like shower. Nice. Ha it turned to sleet then rain in a couple of minutes. Now the sun is out lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

dermiek wrote: »
    By all means, come. We'd love to have you.

Seriously, I'm not a weather guru, but going by this thread , evening should be okay. Getting back may be different. Depends on when you plan to return.

leaving galway by 8.30 - 9

irishgeo wrote: »
    leaving galway by 8.30 - 9

I'm guessing by that time there will be some snow/hail settling somewhere on the way. Over to someone else. You also have the wind.
    If you do travel be careful. Sorry I can't help you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Redsunset wrote: »

Any way looks like a very blowy day and night with some heavy wintry showers and accompanied gusts creating blinding conditions at times. Some lying snow scattered around that should melt by tomorrow afternoon. This is what to expect really.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Redsunset wrote: »

What :confused:

I was just reporting on what conditions have been like here all morning, never said I was expecting anything.. It's been calm, dry and mostly cloudy all morning which I'd class as unremarkable

Anyway wind has picked up a lot in the past hour with some decent gusts now, no real showers to speak of yet other than a light rain shower 20 minutes ago. Dark clouds to the west so another one likely on the way

• Advertisement

I hope it stays ok till after 9 cause I going to the Larne v Lurgan Celtic Irish cup replay:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Extremely windy in Castlebar,frequent showers of rain with some hail mixed in. 6 Degrees. (Gust of 57Kts for Malin on 3pm reports)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Latest from MALIN HEAD(A) W 32 Gust 57 - n/a - 4 89 0.7 1003

Equates to -5 windchill in highest gust

Some big showers packing into NE Ireland at minute. Turning increasingly Wintry

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

No discernible drop in temps up to 15:00, winds remain W or WNW. Although Malin is showing a bit of an outlier at 4C. Temp still around 8C in south Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Harps wrote: »
    What :confused:

I was just reporting on what conditions have been like here all morning, never said I was expecting anything.. It's been calm, dry and mostly cloudy all morning which I'd class as unremarkable

Anyway wind has picked up a lot in the past hour with some decent gusts now, no real showers to speak of yet other than a light rain shower 20 minutes ago. Dark clouds to the west so another one likely on the way

Ah your on a different wavelength to me. My humour obviously didn't come across. Forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No discernible drop in temps up to 15:00, winds remain W or WNW. Although Malin is showing a bit of an outlier at 4C. Temp still around 8C in south Dublin

Mullingar, Knock and Ballyhaise are down to 5c so not far behind Malin. Dunsany, Co Meath is down to 6c. I would expect to see reports of hail and sleet in more and more locations in the next hour or so. Some big showers in the northern 3rd of the country alright!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

highdef wrote: »
    Mullingar, Knock and Ballyhaise are down to 5c so not far behind Malin. Dunsany, Co Meath is down to 6c. I would expect to see reports of hail and sleet in more and more locations in the next hour or so. Some big showers in the northern 3rd of the country alright!

I think it's going to have to get a lot colder to start getting sleet (even)!

Most of the stations on the west coast Scotland still reporting rain with temps of 1c or 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Drove fromn Malahide to Greystones and temps quite consistent across Dublin area @6 degrees. Coldest in South Dublin @2 degreees in a squall rising to 5 degrees when it had passed through. Wind chill savage tho and temperature inching down all the time. The other noteworthy item is the frequency of showers which is increasing now and there's a fairly hefty one running down the Irish Sea off Greystones at the mo....surely there's potential for some decent showers at the very least on the East coast???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭highdef

Indeed, you are right. temps have gone up again in Leinster. DPs would likely be lower further away from the west coasts but I do agree that we do have a bit to go alright.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement