Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

From MT's forecast I'm not very hopeful for the far south to be honest as regards snow potential, think it will just be a rain/sleet event and very cold but sure aren't we used to that down here :rolleyes: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

leahyl wrote: »
    From MT's forecast I'm not very hopeful for the far south to be honest as regards snow potential, think it will just be a rain/sleet event and very cold but sure aren't we used to that down here :rolleyes: :pac:

We usually do ok from a north westerly event! better than from the east anyway..just have to see how far the showers make it inland! a nowcast as the experts would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Redsunset wrote: »
    Enjoy any over night snow as Yes it will be milder on Tuesday.
    :confused: where will this milder weather come from?
    this midday chart for Tues doesn't look mild to me?
    edit: I saw the ME forecast and the bit about showers turning to rain on Tues.

FSXX00T_36.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

As I showed in animated gif. Warm sector from low comes into the equation during Tuesday afternoon. So rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

First heavy shower of daylight hours here and it started as rain but quickly turned to hail.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Redsunset wrote: »
    As I showed in animated gif. Warm sector from low comes into the equation during Tuesday afternoon. So rain.
    I should have known better about the warm sector - theres always one around.
    I posted about two weeks during that rain / sleet spell that if you put Ireland in the middle of Siberia a warm sector would still manage to make it's way there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Northern Ireland
    Headline:
    Cold and windy with wintry showers.

Today:
    Bright with some sunshine and blustery showers. The showers most frequent over County Derry and North Antrim with snow on higher ground, then snow to lower levels later this afternoon and evening. Strong to gale force westerly winds. Maximum Temperature 5 °C.

Tonight:
    It will stay cold and windy with further sleet and snow showers. Showers heavy at times with drifting of the snow on high ground in the gale force westerly wind. Minimum Temperature -1 °C.

The showers hitting the NW coast and just appearing as they hit the coast so radar watching kinda strange as you can't see them coming at my location. A day of surprises I think.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Snow a definite for Cork tonight and tomorrow morning with lying snow on hills
    Back to rain on Tues afternoon but let's enjoy the snow anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

New warning by met.ie
    Weather Advisory for Ireland
    Extremely windy with some severe, possibly damaging gusts. Strong to gale force westerly winds will produce gusts of 110 to 130 km/h in Connacht and Donegal, while in Munster, Leinster, Cavan and Monaghan gusts of 90 to 110 km/h are expected.

After dark, heavy wintry showers of hail, sleet and snow will develop at first in the north of the country, but during the night they will become more widespread and produce some accumulations of snow, in particular on high ground but also at lower levels. The very strong winds and snow showers will produce some blizzard like conditions especially on higher ground, with icy patches at all levels.

The wintry showers will turn to rain showers on Tuesday afternoon as temperatures increase.

Issued:04 February 2013 09:00
    Valid:04 February 2013 09:00 to 05 February 2013 12:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Snow a definite for Cork tonight and tomorrow morning with lying snow on hills
    Back to rain on Tues afternoon but let's enjoy the snow anyway

This isn't the ramping thread you know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

That's a well written and comprehensive warning from Met Eireann there. They seem very much on the ball with this spell, fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭dermiek

leahyl wrote: »

Hopefully tomorrow you'll be getting a PM from the mods saying, " leahy, stop posting pics of snow in cork. You're using up all our bandwidth . "

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Some vicious showers of rain/hail in Westport the last 20 mins.If this is the start of it,it is gonna get very wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Sickened,Metoffice just dropped there snow warning for the western third of NI
    and giving central/eastern areas 5-10cm.

Weathering wrote: »
    Sickened,Metoffice just dropped there snow warning for the western third of NI
    and giving central/eastern areas 5-10cm.

Can we not catch a break at all.
    Anyway I have become disillusioned with their warnings, they had orange warnings on last month aswell nothing came apart from the very east of Ulster and higher ground in most other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

Is this eastern central UK or Ireland Weathering?

Serious wind here all morning, going to be an interesting day.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

I think it could be too wet for much snow to lodge

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Latest ME forecast is both an upgrade and a downgrade, overnight they are now also mentioning the possibility of thunder along with everything else, but there is also a mention of some rain tomorrow.

The next few days look like being a serious roller coaster of a ride, and there's a serious risk of the train coming off the tracks at any moment.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Latest ME forecast is both an upgrade and a downgrade, overnight they are now also mentioning the possibility of thunder along with everything else, but there is also a mention of some rain tomorrow.

The next few days look like being a serious roller coaster of a ride, and there's a serious risk of the train coming off the tracks at any moment.

omg. are you ok? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

To be honest, I'm not sure if the train ever left the station! :o

I think this 'cold' spell will be even more disappointing than the last one. You need very deep cold to get anything off the Atlantic!

Latest GFS has -6c uppers, at a minmimum, coming off the Atlantic within the next 12 to 24 hours. That, in my opinion, is simply not cold enough (for proper snow from that direction).

Having said that, no doubt some/many will see snow but it will not last long!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I am fairly certain that snow will be seen almost everywhere at some point during the 24 hours starting 3 p.m., but hail may be the dominant theme for many (snow pellets might be the technical term in this case). Snow pellets are those less icy hard spheres that bounce about 3 cm when they hit the ground in a wind.

The coldest air is still back behind a line from the central Hebrides southwest to around the M6 buoy (which seems to be disabled). There is no real arctic front as such but when that colder air mass arrives the wind speeds will also pick up because that's also where the strongest wind gradients are at your latitude (in Scotland they are already getting their strongest winds, gusting to 60 knots in the western Isles).

Since there was some discussion about Cork, I agree with what JS posted and would not be surprised if some snow lies for a time in most areas of west Munster, not just higher areas, and as the warm sector (a rather weak one really) is going to arrive from a northerly direction that could produce a period of snow with the weak warm front ahead of the sector (that timed for about noon to 3 p.m. Tuesday), at some point we may see the coldest temperatures in Cork and the mildest in Donegal, which will signal that the warm sector has arrived. I don't expect it to last very long and then it could get cold enough to snow a second time later Tuesday night.

Wow things have just kicked off here, crazy wind gusts with sideways sleet and hail. Very bad.

Pangea wrote: »
    Wow things have just kicked off here, crazy wind gusts with sideways sleet and hail. Very bad.

Agreed. You are getting the blasts about 15 mins before me. Some of the wind gusts are extreme. From nothing to extreme in a matter of seconds.:eek:

Temperature at 12:45 7.3c
    Temperature at 13.00 4.9C

P.S We have a code orange over at met eireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Rain in leixlip at the mo. beautiful blue sky 5 mins ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

noobsnow95 wrote: »
    I think it could be too wet for much snow to lodge

Wet ground is irrelevant, it's about being cold enough. Snow can lodge on wet ground and melt on dry ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Severe gusts here like in Donegal with the showers, 6.4c here currently.

I loved the mid west radio forecast this morning, "Starting off mild and dry, rain showers heading in between the sunshine, Turning cold this afternoon with rain, hail, sleet & snow showers, Very windy with thunder later" Seems every type of weather is mentioned in there for today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Is that a squall line forming on radar?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement