Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

18z firms up on whiteout conditions tomorrow night
    A tad colder, am thinking it may not be just a hills event!!
    Several cm's of lying snow for the Western 2/3rds of the country seem likely

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

GFS 18z ramps up the precip tomorrow night. Good signs.

Some really deep convection set to fire over the Atlantic and push inland.

Going to be some could satellite/radar watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Tuesday afternoon remains marginal though so a lot of the snow monday night looks like getting washed away on Tuesday.
    Quite odd to see such a mild sector in a Northerly flow

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Can anyone provide a link to the 18z ?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

Looks like a whiteout to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭brianthomas

East coast (DUBLIN HERE) gonna miss out on the fun then? Dont get me wrong, we had a BLAST in 2010 but im just looking for an idea of what to expect?

ty in advance.

Brian.

Clondalkin in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

East coast (DUBLIN HERE) gonna miss out on the fun then? Dont get me wrong, we had a BLAST in 2010 but im just looking for an idea of what to expect?

ty in advance.

Brian.

Currently looks as if the big smoke may see a dusting. Then a quick thaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

The big smoke always get it, now it's the wests turn ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ty in advance.

Brian.

not sure what Dublin or the east coast counties will get till the time comes, usually the snow showers batter Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Letrim, Sligo and Donegal and die out past Athlone/Mullingar leaving dazzling sunshine by day/clear skies by night in the extreme east. IN all my experiences of these north-westerly-north events we usually end up with nothing but sometimes we have been lucky and received a dusting if the showers make it all the way across. It will take a polar low or organised band of showers to make a proper impact on Louth, Meath, Dublin etc, we just have to wait and see will this happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I can't help but notice a new more realistic view being shown by many posters on the various weather forums lately...

Looks promising for a few cms at least http://www.weatherweb.net/tvweather/uksnow42.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

DanRu wrote: »
    Looks like a whiteout to me.
    But it's pink :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 2221 update from Met Eireann....Short and Sweet lol

Windy tonight with scattered light showers.
    Lowest overnight temperatures of 3 to 7 degrees.

hr.gif
    Tomorrow
    Monday: A very windy day with a mixture of sunny spells and passing heavy, wintry showers.
    Feeling cold with highest temperatures of 7 to 10 degrees in strong to gale force westerly winds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just seen the BBC NI forecast, not great really, He did mention that its hard to tell which places will get snow. Up to 10cms on some hills. In other news its got very noisy here with the wind! If tomorrow is windier it should be interesting with the cold air around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

There is going to be a horrible wind chill effect, which will be far worse than any snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Pangea wrote: »
    Just seen the BBC NI forecast, not great really, He did mention that its hard to tell which places will get snow. Up to 10cms on some hills. In other news its got very noisy here with the wind! If tomorrow is windier it should be interesting with the cold air around.

Yep, some hills should see snow alright. Could be nasty conditions up there with the winds too. On low levels then a mix of rain, hail, sleet, and in places maybe turning to snow for a while before turning back to rain later.

Min wrote: »
    There is going to be a horrible wind chill effect, which will be far worse than any snow.
    Will feel bitter for sure http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=cold

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Have to travel from Dublin to mayo by car on Wednesday afternoon , love the snow just hate driving in it :((

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Have to travel from Dublin to mayo by car on Wednesday afternoon , love the snow just hate driving in it :((
    You should be fine, unlikely to be too much snow settling at low levels especially during day light hours.

• Advertisement

I think your trip should be safe enough at these temps :pac:
    http://cdn.nwstatic.co.uk/gfsimages/gfs.20130203/18/69/ukmaxtemp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Its very windy here at the moment (Ballybofey, Co Donegal), stronger than any day last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Yep, some hills should see snow alright. Could be nasty conditions up there with the winds too. On low levels then a mix of rain, hail, sleet, and in places maybe turning to snow for a while before turning back to rain later.

Have to disagree with u Maq,I reckon up here in Donegal we will get lots of snow tomorrow evening. I'm 40m above sea level so I'll let u know either way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

18Z GFS and NAE have decent dew points for snow overnight Mon/Tues. But by midday Tues they have risen to plus 3 and plus 4 in many northern and western parts. Not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Wind is picking up here in Mayo now, nice strong gusts, hoping for some snow tomorrow night here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Wasnt expecting the wind to be this strong tonight!! (Castlebar)

Wasnt expecting the wind to be this strong tonight!! (Castlebar)
    Met eireann 3 hour forecast map shows pretty strong winds off the north west coast
    http://www.met.ie/weathermaps/3hr-wind.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

It's getting strong in Clare too and seems to coming from a northern direction...

And down the chimney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Its really picking up here too.... love the sound of the wind howling! Nice! (Dromahair)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

here too . a taster before the madness of the first half of the week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement