Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risk Of Severe Wintry Conditions With Strong Winds. (High Risk-Ulster, Connaught)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Right call it off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

i find it strange that its very quiet in here even though a snow event is looking semi likely for at least some of the country no sign of some of the bigger hitters in here at all the likes of maq harps ect ect is there something they know and thats why there not getting involved ......just doesnt seem enough hype to get me anywhere near excited.....maybe that will work in eveyones favour:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Parents are in the west, I'm in north Kildare. I suspect I'm going to be very frustrated this week! Tho my bro is at home doing his mocks and the bus stops running at the least bit of bad weather so he might be very happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

howlinwolf wrote: »
    i find it strange that its very quiet in here even though a snow event is looking semi likely for at least some of the country no sign of some of the bigger hitters in here at all the likes of maq harps ect ect is there something they know and thats why there not getting involved ......just doesnt seem enough hype to get me anywhere near excited.....maybe that will work in eveyones favour:rolleyes:
    To be honest,this week will be interesting,not banal anyway,snow for some, but if Mt's scenario works out for the weekend and onwards,Excitement galore and 10+ pages per hour added to the new event thread.
    I'm entering a read only sebatical for now also. #jadedwiththis

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

howlinwolf wrote: »

I don't see a "snow event". I see what looks like a windy, cold period of weather with some showers of rain, hail, sleet and a risk of snow mostly confined to high ground though possible at low levels at times in certain places.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I don't see a "snow event". I see what looks like a windy, cold period of weather with some showers of rain, hail, sleet and a risk of snow mostly confined to high ground though possible at low levels at times in certain places.

I'd agree. For the moment, I reckon ME has called it right. Nothing execeptional (yet).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the reason for lack of interest is this is not gonna effect most of us and if it does it wont really amount to much more than a dusting of snow in the east. North-Westerlies just don't have the level of interest, population coverage or excitement that an easterly brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

It seems primed for a 18-24 hour period where snow to low levels will be likely. From late afternoon in the northwest and from around 9pm in the east, lasting until midday or 3pm Tuesday when the developing front to the north with mixed air moves south during late Tuesday, Then a colder NNW for Wednesday.

So tomorrow night does look interesting and the chance for many areas to catch a nice puffy snow shower which could give a covering almost anywhere by Tuesday morning.

So it is interesting although likely transient.

Radar/Satellite watching from tomorrow afternoon and the watch for a possible more significant feature in assoc. with the sub -40c 500hPa air pocket early Tuesday AM

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Gonzo wrote: »
    the reason for lack of interest is this is not gonna effect most of us and if it does it wont really amount to much more than a dusting of snow in the east. North-Westerlies just don't have the level of interest, population coverage or excitement that an easterly brings.

I wonder would it be more because those in the NW don't see anything too much out of the ordinary in the coming few days? The only ones that seem to be taking any real interest in this are those in the east. :cool:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

Whilst snow is my favourite weather type, I'm hoping more for a bit of thunder, and some big ol hailstones, not sure they're going to make it all the way over to me in north Dublin though. The west does seem to get the more violent weather, so I supposed everyone that way is de-sensitised to it. I'm not in anyway envious at all :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 DanRu

It seems primed for a 18-24 hour period where snow to low levels will be likely. From late afternoon in the northwest and from around 9pm in the east, lasting until midday or 3pm Tuesday when the developing front to the north with mixed air moves south during late Tuesday, Then a colder NNW for Wednesday.

So tomorrow night does look interesting and the chance for many areas to catch a nice puffy snow shower which could give a covering almost anywhere by Tuesday morning.

So it is interesting although likely transient.

Radar/Satellite watching from tomorrow afternoon and the watch for a possible more significant feature in assoc. with the sub -40c 500hPa air pocket early Tuesday AM

I'd be happy with that, been over 2yrs since I've seen the white stuff. A dusting would do fine to finish off this winter, anything extra down the line is a bonus. I do believe that MT is on to something and this winter is not over by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

what are the chance of limerick seeing some good snow or even just a dusting ?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Fluffycloud

I will be over the moon if I see snow this week! I think everyone is holding their breath. Will it ... Or won't it...... Roll on the white stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

I wish people would read the forecasts and the posts in the thread instead of just coming in and asking what time it will snow in their garden ?
    It just clutters up the thread and the posts should be deleted...

Anyway, Im in Meath and would be surprised if we get more than a light dusting of snow, Id be happy with that coz its pretty when it falls..
    Looking like the northwest might need the snow shovels at the ready.
    Id be more concerned about the low temps and the icy conditions expected for the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

I think these threads jinx snow in Ireland, so less that know about it the better :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Looking forward to this event, should be interesting few days, not expecting any snow at me because the last time I was and nothing came. Il settle for the Strong winds and Hail which is probably a dead cert.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Have to agree with Mal on this one. It looks on the wrong side of marginal again, even moreso than last month's brief cold spell. DP has also been struggling in the last 4 runs. Lower levels in the extreme north maybe, higher levels almost a dead cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Gerry's forecast on RTE seem to be clear enough that there is snow on the way... actually that forecast has cheered me up. In the previous forecast at lunch time high ground was mentioned before the mention of snow, but not this time...

:D>>>heading to the ramping thread to let loose! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Good looking dew points on the 12Z NAE by midnight Mon/Tues.

13020500_2_0312.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Well the ECM certainly isnt backing down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Well the ECM certainly isnt backing down
    Yeah sticking to it's guns alright but it just doesn't seem that bad for cold or especially low level snow, -6 uppers at best through the hole run,marginal as usual or is there some thing im not seeing,maybe one of our more knowledgeable folks can explain if/where im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

rollercoaster?i call the front seats:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

I might get a bit of stick but I'm going to stick my neck out. It isn't as marginal as most think it is. There will be widespread snow to lower levels in the northern third of the country. For instance the met office forecast 2-8cm in low levels in NI

Weathering wrote: »
    I might get a bit of stick but I'm going to stick my neck out. It isn't as marginal as most think it is. There will be widespread snow to lower levels in the northern third of the country. For instance the met office forecast 2-8cm in low levels in NI

Is that not pretty marginal? 2cm of snow is equivalent to 2mm of rain, it wouldn't take much of a prediction error for most areas to end up with barely a dusting.

Is that not pretty marginal? 2cm of snow is equivalent to 2mm of rain, it wouldn't take much of a prediction error for most areas to end up with barely a dusting.

Why select the bottom end of the estimate,just shows you're pessimistic by nature. You could turn that around and say they're could be more than the top end and their under estimating it. Think what you want

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

That's the lowest end of the prediction, if they said 2-3cm than that is hit or miss, but its 2-8cm so 5cm being the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Weathering wrote: »

Why select the bottom end of the estimate,just shows you're pessimistic by nature. You could turn that around and say they're could be more than the top end and their under estimating it. Think what you want
    Marginal was rain/snow not the amount!!
    I'm with Weathering.

Senna wrote: »
    That's the lowest end of the prediction, if they said 2-3cm than that is hit or miss, but its 2-8cm so 5cm being the middle.

Still only 5mm of "precipitation". Look at the spatial variation in rainfall last year, in some counties one weather station would have twice what another had. Maybe I'm pessimistic, I see it more as being realistic.

Still only 5mm of "precipitation". Look at the spatial variation in rainfall last year, in some counties one weather station would have twice what another had. Maybe I'm pessimistic, I see it more as being realistic.

Many factors have to be taken in to consideration when determining rain to snow conversion rates. To simply imply 1mm of rain is 1 cm of snow is in fact wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looking good for us corkonians
    I would expect hill snow to start to fall from teatime tomorrow with a covering of several cm's by Tuesday morning. It does look a hills only event but some disruption quite likely. We always do well out of a Northwest wind here!!
    More widespread ppn during tuesday afternoon, looks more marginal by then but the fact that the ppn will be heavier may sway things in our favour, again mostly for hills and mountains.
    Overall looks like a fun few days ahead with thunder also favoured

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement