Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 17

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Pretty bad ass knockout. You can see Cella thinks it's Hall's trademark kick to the side/ribs/gut, but he just switches it up and Cella moves his head right into the kick. So vicious. As they said, that's the $25k sewn up already!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

* Spoilers *

The knockout in glorious 1080p

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Thought cella did ****ing well until the knockout.

Anyone prefer the "no commentary" approach with being able to hear each fighter's corner?

I know I do.
    Certainly beats listening to Goldie and Rogan recite the same old lines every single fight.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Lol Dana white coming into the dressing room with the label of that energy drink facing the camera.

It's amazing how these guys sell themselves out so easily.

Anyone see bones poorly recited speech about metro wireless a few weeks ago?

Or Anderson and his burger king ****.

Guys, get some integrity!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

jayteecork wrote: »
    Lol Dana white coming into the dressing room with the label of that energy drink facing the camera.

Sure everything gets sponsored. I'm surprised the sponsors are sponsored.

As for the KO, it was class IMO. Pure video game stuff. But the hype from last weeks episode regarding it was a bit much. I was expecting bolo's and a broken jaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It's not even a fraction as bad as TUF Brazil, did you see the advertising in that???

Couldn't believe what I was seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its not just in TUF. Watch any shows nowadays and the product placement is bordering on the corny. Simple reason is the likes of Sky+/Netflix means people are not watching ad breaks anymore.

I noticed the dana one as well, but heard TUF Brazil was cringey beyond belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

gimmick wrote: »
    Its not just in TUF. Watch any shows nowadays and the product placement is bordering on the corny. Simple reason is the likes of Sky+/Netflix means people are not watching ad breaks anymore.

I noticed the dana one as well, but heard TUF Brazil was cringey beyond belief.

That show treated us to a two minute shot of Wanderlei shaving his arms, thanks to Gilette.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

If sponsors are willing to put up the cash for these things like knockout of the season, then Dana would be stupid to turn them away. The UFC is a business. And unless you had to fight your urge to chug a can of NOS immediately after seeing that scene, then there is no harm done. I certainly don't go to Burger King because I saw it on Anderson Silva's shorts :pac:

As for the knockout, good lord, I was really worried for Cella for a bit there. Seeing Hall's reaction was what freaked me out the most. Great season of TUF so far, but can anybody beat Hall? Mentally, seeing him do that to a fellow competitor cannot be good for any of the fighters in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,133 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

to be fair, that's completely standard in the whole tv/film/sports industry. You simply have to learn to hold cans and bottles with the label facing out if you want your sponsors to pay. Like the way if you are sponsored by Coca-Cola - don't get seen in public drinking Pepsi etc
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    As for the knockout, good lord, I was really worried for Cella for a bit there. Seeing Hall's reaction was what freaked me out the most. Great season of TUF so far, but can anybody beat Hall? Mentally, seeing him do that to a fellow competitor cannot be good for any of the fighters in the house.
    The involuntary nasal breathing afterwards always sounds so grim.
    As for not being good for the fighters in the house, I don't want to give anything away, but it definitely plays a part in events later in the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I actually wondered how it will affect Hall himself later in the season and his career. He was really shook up by it. Will he fight with the same ferocity knowing how much damage he can do?

Mellor wrote: »
    As for not being good for the fighters in the house, I don't want to give anything away, but it definitely plays a part in events later in the season.
    I heard Cella wasn't the only opponent Hall put in hospital..

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

That was some knock out. The noise of the foot on face then head on canvas was horrible. Apparently Cella was out for 4 minute. The post fight scenes were well put together, really highlighting the concern everyone had.

Was it the most brutal KO in MMA as Dana wanted us to believe? Maybe, there's been some serious KO's but we rarely get to see the fighter layed out like that. Cameras cutting to the winner never let us see the extend of the damage. Matt Riddle has claimed his was much worse on Dan Simmler during TUF 7. That was a great KO made much worse by Simmlers groans when his jaw was broken.

Good season so far. There seems to be less dramatics in the house and more focus on the gym. Let's hope it stays that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Mentally, seeing him do that to a fellow competitor cannot be good for any of the fighters in the house.

The first thing that struck me when I saw it was that it may not be good mentally for Hall. He looked really shaken by the state that Cella was in (understandably so) and you would wonder whether it will effect his ability to pull the trigger in later fights. I know that (thankfully) the outcome was not the same but you always hear people talking about how Eubank lost his killer instinct after the Michael Watson fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I actually thought when Etim was KO'd by Barboza it looked worse but just the silence in the TUF room is what might be eerie. Same kicking technique also.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Mellor wrote: »
    I don't want to give anything away, but it definitely plays a part in events later in the season.

Oh so the series is filmed already. I thought they might only be 2 or so weeks ahead of us.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

• Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

FINALLY got around to watching that episode.
    It was a fairly brutal ko alright. The echo of the kick and the noise of Cella hitting the canvas really made it sound crazy.
    Decent season so far and I hope it stays that way!
    Sonnen seems like a cool bloke and isn't as obnoxious as he comes across when he's putting on a show for the camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

3am tonight in ESPN instead of 2am.why????

I assume it's a listing error, UFC just tweeted that it's starting in ten minutes, can't see an obvious reason for a tape delay:

e443f1158ff5e9c96aaca7c21906c731.png?1360720349

Edit: 3am not 2, ESPN has it on tape delay because of the NBA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Decent episode this week but the fight wasn't up to much.
    Colin just stuck to his gameplan and dominated the fight. I was expecting Kevin to win but he never really seemed to be in the fight.
    He was having some success with his striking but he just gave up and went back to allowing Colin to dominate him. He didn't listen to Sonnen at all, whereas Colin listened to Jones in the corner and did what he said.

This season of TUF is a lot better than the last few in my opinion. There's something about the production that seems slicker. And the lads in the house seem like a decent bunch. Except Bubba. I wanna see him get a clatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Actually enjoying this season of TUF.

One of the main reasons is Chael Sonnen. He's really coming across so well. He's a very smart guy and seems like a great couch.

THis week's fight was a cracker. Best of the show so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Actually enjoying this season of TUF.

One of the main reasons is Chael Sonnen. He's really coming across so well. He's a very smart guy and seems like a great couch.

THis week's fight was a cracker. Best of the show so far!
    Delighted to see
    Bubba lose
    . Too cocky for my liking. Great fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 397 ✭✭welkin

Anyone else think the latest episode looked highly staged?

Uriah Hall went from being a likeable laid back dude to the house badboy - playing both teams off against each other.

WTF was that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

He's losing it, bigtime. He's being wound up and doesn't seem to be able to keep a handle on himself and his reactions.

Was an alright fight. Really wanted Tor to destroy him. Oh well.

He's losing it, bigtime. He's being wound up and doesn't seem to be able to keep a handle on himself and his reactions.

Was an alright fight. Really wanted Tor to destroy him. Oh well.

Thought Samman looked fairly awkward out there. Tor dropped his hands badly there - wtf.

Don't think he's much of a threat.

I don't know any spoilers but anyone think it was a bit weird the UFC showing Uriah at ringside all smiley at the last event?

Not something you'd show if he got his ass handed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

welkin wrote: »
    Anyone else think the latest episode looked highly staged?

Uriah Hall went from being a likeable laid back dude to the house badboy - playing both teams off against each other.

WTF was that about?

To me it seemed like both sides were giving him a hard time and he just slightly snapped a bit. I think he felt like 7 or 8 dudes were all sniping at him and the only way he could react was to single out one of them.

Others were also stirring the pot and kept talking about it which built it into a bigger thing than it should have been.

I still think he comes across as a nice guy. Felt bad for him to be honest, still want him to win. Hopefully they give him a 'redemption' episode now...he tweeted that they edited the **** out of the episode. Everyone who looks bad comes out with that line in fairness.

Josh Samman comes across slightly douchey, couldn't believe he was only 24 though, thought he was at least early thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I think they've been showing Uriah like that since the start. There's only so much saying "I was bullied as a kid" can do for you.

It's not an excuse for the flaws in his character and, although he's a beast, he seems a very strange character and not very likable, a least the way the show is edited.

I mean, going nuts and wanting to inflict violence on someone because yer man Josh corrected him and said "Chef" when Uriah said "Professional cooker"? That's the kinda stuff movie maker have drug kingpins do to show how unhinged they are

Bit of an upset.

Clint's lips were annoying me though, lol. (not being racist, the dude just has massive lips!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

welkin wrote: »
    Bit of an upset.

Clint's lips were annoying me though, lol. (not being racist, the dude just has massive lips!)

Found it a bit disappointing tbh, I was excited to see him fight after seeing the prelim bouts early in the season. I'd say he's a shoe-in for the wildcard though. Not impressed by the lad that won it at all.

Advertisement