Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 17

Options
  • 23-01-2013 2:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if I missed a thread, don't see one for this season that just started.

Currently underway, I'll post more when the episode is over.

Liking it so far. Smart move how they're doing a bit of background on every fighter, I think previous seasons have suffered (for me personally) because I don't remember the fighters names etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Good start.
    Jones is going to regret picking that guy Josh IMO. Decent fighter, but far from humble...

I agree that it wasn't the best fight choice, but Josh isn't the coach. Nor is he an assistant coach. I can see him being a real thorn in the side and a disruptive influence on the team.

Can't believe Jones didn't pick Uriah Hall when he had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Yeah, would have had that Uriah guy as my first pick based on what i saw of him, Chael picked The Brit as his first, odd, guess he seen something in him.

These adverts are a pain in the hole though

scudzilla wrote: »
    These adverts are a pain in the hole though

Didn't find the adverts too bad tbh.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Didn't find the adverts too bad tbh.

The one for Hooters was grand, the rest, not so grand

scudzilla wrote: »
    The one for Hooters was grand, the rest, not so grand

Not that I'm insinuating that you'd do anything illegal... ;)

But did you watch a stream? I watched on ESPN. Very few adverts.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Not that I'm insinuating anything...

But did you watch a stream? I watched on ESPN. Very few adverts.

yeah, watched a stream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

I'll purposefully not use spoilers because I think anyone clicking into the thread should expect for us to be talking about what was on the episode.

Some very good fights I have to say. The little background on the fighters was good, in the last season I really didn't give a sh*t who won and eventually gave up watching out of lack of interest in the fighter aswell as the fights.

Really surprised Sonnen didn't pick Uriah Hall first, he seemed like an obvious first choice to make.. it might end up biting him in the ass in future! Doubt Jones will get a clean sweep, but I'd say overall his team is better than Chaels and will do well.

I thought the guy who "everyone is afraid of" putting guys in hospital put someone in the hospital in the elimination fights going by the way it was edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Good opener. Looks like it could be a good season to come. Brit gut looked solid. Uriah is an absolute beast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

anyone got a link to watch it back missed it last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

but1er wrote: »
    anyone got a link to watch it back missed it last night?

Full episode is on Youtube in one piece surprisingly.

Was shocked that Sonnen didn't pick Uriah Hall or Clint Hestor first, those two seemed head and shoulders above the rest but at least we get some sort of answer to that question next week. Thought this was a great episode overall, the production of the show in general seems to have improved a bit and I thought the standard of the fighters seemed good from top to bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Really like the new format of the show. It seems much more serious, I dunno if that was just for the 1st episode. Gonna be cheering on Barnett.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Jonah42 wrote: »
    Really like the new format of the show. It seems much more serious, I dunno if that was just for the 1st episode. Gonna be cheering on Barnett.
    What's different from the previous season(s)? I think a lot of what you might be seeing as new is down to the production value maybe as well as the obvious tension between the two coaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

What's different from the previous season(s)? I think a lot of what you might be seeing as new is down to the production value maybe as well as the obvious tension between the two coaches.

There was a few nice new camera angles, but apart from that and the family involvement not much has changed really..

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

They seemed to have gone for an American idol thing with the families present.

Was good though, the last few seasons were toilet bowl. Changes were needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

jayteecork wrote: »
    They seemed to have gone for an American idol thing with the families present.

Was good though, the last few seasons were toilet bowl. Changes were needed

defo, i was sick of the family angle and the most distracting thing was the circlar spotlight you could see in all of their eyes during the interviews.

id much prefer if they explanied what style of fighter they were, what camp they came from and what their record was like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭RoboRat

is this being shown on ESPN, Fox or Syfi in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bit underwhelmed after watching after all Danas talk of some "monster" leaving somebody in hospital after every fight.

Thought it was a bit much with Jones coaching guys in the qualifying fights and cheering them on.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Bit underwhelmed after watching after all Danas talk of some "monster" leaving somebody in hospital after every fight.

Thought it was a bit much with Jones coaching guys in the qualifying fights and cheering them on.

I doubt Jones is the sharpest tool in the box tbh with you.

RoboRat wrote: »
    is this being shown on ESPN, Fox or Syfi in Ireland?

ESPN.

I agree that the production value is the main change, it's approached much more like a Primetime episode or a Countdown to UFC whatever.

Plus the intro on every fighter was good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Ush1 wrote: »

+1 to this.

Not a big fan of the sob story bullshít from all the fighters. I couldn't give a fúck if you lived on food stamps and cans of spam. That stuff isn't going to win me over as a fan.

Didn't think it was very fair when JJ was cageside telling one of the guys to soften him up with elbows to the mid section, never saw Chael doing anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Cheers Dr. Phil, what days? need to set the oul sky plus so I can watch it when the wifey is out :-P

I fancy team Sonnen

(And i hope they win TUF too)

RoboRat wrote: »
    Cheers Dr. Phil, what days? need to set the oul sky plus so I can watch it when the wifey is out :-P

It was 1am on Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. But I think the regular time is 2am.

Crazy time, but the benefit is that it's essentially at the same time as the US broadcast which is a big improvement on the 3 or 4 day delay we've had in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Great first episode. You can see they clearly got a higher caliber of fighters for this season. Maybe they are treating it as a make or break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

all the eggs were thrown in the basket for this season. Cam work is brilliant with the slow motion impact waves stuff like two elephants fighting in the new Attenborough thing. The family crap is total crap but it's over with now. I reckon this is the highest quality selection I've ever seen on TUF.. only a couple of useless fukers in that collection... and it's going to end really bad for them. Uriah Hall is going to completely flatten some poor fukers in there.... if he can defend against wrestlers and keep his distance right there's no competition at all in there for his level of stand up - far too much right with his technique.

$5K per finish is just gona make a lot of these dudes forget game plans and swing for fences which is bad in a way... but fun in another more correct way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Seamus2471

Tor all the way, the hammer will smash them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Seamus2471

Jonah42 wrote: »
    No fighter called Barnett in TUF 17, did you mean Barnatt the english guy by any chance?

Luke Barnatt yeah. Likeable bloke.

Uriah Hall looks badas but he's 28. If he's so awesome you'd think he'd be notable by now.

Kind of sad/funny seeing guys say "This is all I have left. This is my only shot at the bigtime" etc then getting knocked out in 3 seconds in front of their nearest and dearest.

• Advertisement

I didn't find the family aspect too "sob story"ish. There were a few guys who seemed to have perfectly happy and normal family/home lives too.

Advertisement