Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 17

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Seamus2471

Josh Samman seems like a tool I hope he loses fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,154 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

$5K per finish is just gona make a lot of these dudes forget game plans and swing for fences which is bad in a way... but fun in another more correct way.
    Id say that's to stop fighters cruising to the bell once they think they're ahead.

A couple of fighters did that last season and then cried when the Judges went the other way. Served them right tbh.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Seamus2471 wrote: »
    Josh Samman seems like a tool I hope he loses fast.

That the guy who wants a "clean sweep" and handed Bones the note with the matchups they'd like on it?

Seems like a gimp alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

I like the Aussie guy who was picked last, he loved it himself, the feeling that he went through he picks stealthy and unnoticed. Something about him, I'd also be rooting for Tor and the English guy who was very tall for the weight.

It was good that Jones' team each had a guy they felt they matched up well with. But the guy calling out Barnatt was stupid imo. Small man syndrome imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,431 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Decent first episode and some good fights in there.
    Uriah Hall and Clint Hester look like ones to watch out for.

The whole production looked more slick this time. I like how they tried to freshen it up a bit.

I can't understand how Sonnen chose to pick the first fighter, and then he picked Barnatt. Didn't really make sense to me.

El Guapo! wrote: »
    I can't understand how Sonnen chose to pick the first fighter, and then he picked Barnatt. Didn't really make sense to me.

Yeah, pretty dumb move.
    First fight pick is way more valuable than first fighter. Having control allows you to play to your fighters strengths, exploit weakness.

Plus, there was very little chance that Jones would have taken Sonnen's no.1 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Is it live tonight on ESPN at 2???Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

shezer wrote: »
    Is it live tonight on ESPN at 2???Thanks

Only saw this now, it's on from 2-3am yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭SevereMMA

For anyone who wants to know the outcome of the season
    You just couldn't help yourself :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,247 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

As much as it was a very crappy showing from Team Jones, turning on their own fighter, they were definitely correct that it was a terrible fight choice. Poor coaching too, Gilbert kept on going for the takedown despite having absolutely no success with it. Standing and swinging was the only way he was going to win that fight.

That said Barnatt didn't overly impress me either. Certainly didn't have the look of a number one pick.

Solid episode though, and certainly makes you look forward to next week.

PS, could a Mod please change the title to "TUF 17 - includes spoilers"

So I don't have to bother with spoiler-ing things.

I suppose the thread title could do with a spoiler warning, but to be fair, if someone comes into this thread they should expect it to contain spoilers.

Pretty poor first fight in my opinion. Why Gilbert kept going for the takedown ill never know. But he really was beaten before he entered the cage.
    It was a bad match up, but the rest of the team should have kept their mouths shut. As much as they didn't like the pick, what's done is done, and they just kept knocking Gilberts confidence by talking about it.
    Barnatt really didn't impress me either. He did very little apart from the flying knee, and I can't see him winning the season or even making it to the finale.

When I saw the fight pick for next week I got excited. I was dying to see Uriah fight again and it seemed a decent match up. But then the result of next weeks fight was ruined at the end.
    The gave away who gets knocked out, and at the end, you can clearly see who's being put into the back of the ambulance.

I didn't see who was going in the ambulance, but I did see the colour of the shirt of someone standing with them as they were loaded up. I assumed that the shirt colour was the same as the team member who got KO'd.

Meaning that the loser is
    the Team Sonnen guy. Pretty sure there was someone in a black Team Sonnen shirt standing beside the ambulance.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I didn't see who was going in the ambulance, but I did see the colour of the shirt of someone standing with them as they were loaded up. I assumed that the shirt colour was the same as the team member who got KO'd.

Meaning that the loser is
    the Team Sonnen guy. Pretty sure there was someone in a black Team Sonnen shirt standing beside the ambulance.

Yeah that's the first thing I noticed too.
    But also....(major spoiler)
    if you look closely, you can make out a black guy on the stretcher.(Obviously Uriah Hall)
    It's stupid the way they give away so much on the preview of the following weeks show.
    A lot of American tv shows do that. It just ruins the anticipation.

Been reading a few places that it's a bit of UFC trickery...

The ambulance scene shown in the previews is a completely unrelated incident. Either a training injury or after a different fight.

Still a silly thing for the UFC to do. In one way people may go in expecting what they think is a spoiled result only to find that it's not the case, but on the other hand people may be put off watching because they know what will happen.

Either way it seems like a hell of a KO.

If the most recent episode of The Walking Dead and Suits has taught me anything about American Tv it's to turn off the episode the second the final scene is over before the "on next week's episode.." starts. Whatever about giving you a preview, alot of the time it completely ruins the anticipation for the episode by revealing too much!

Gilbert was silly shooting for a takedown, given that his strengths were obviously in his stand-up game and especially when he didn't manage to do anything significant when he managed to get the other guy on the ground.

Barnatt was equally meh, apart from the flying knee KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Bubba McDaniels seems to be a right tool along with Josh Samman

The two of them should just keep their heads down and worry about their own training rather than destroying the confidence of their team mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

crybaby wrote: »
    Bubba McDaniels seems to be a right tool along with Josh Samman

The two of them should just keep their heads down and worry about their own training rather than destroying the confidence of their team mates.

Agreed, thought Jones should've been more hard on them as well. It's only the first week and already his authority is getting questioned.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Woeful fight.
    Don't think Luke is getting anywhere this season.

Uriah Hall is where it's at. I really really really hope he sparks Josh Sammon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

The speculation on sherdog is pretty comprehensive. I think after their CSI style investigation I can say I know who it is who gets K'dTFO.

Obviously DO NOT READ below as it could container next weeks result.
    Defo Cella gets KO'd. There is a gif of the reaction to the KO and the red team are all looking horrified and another which shows Barnatt clapping. Also, the ambulance has nothing to do with the KO.

• Advertisement

Don't forget the new episode starts in 35 mins on ESPN.

Sweet jesus that was worth the hype!

He looks like a killer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

That was nasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

sweet baby jesus!! that was just unreal!!!!

Also I really really really hope that Bubba mc Daniels get his ass handed to him just as brutally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

The knockout was pretty special.

Got to say, Chael comes across as a genuine bloke in a lot of the videos. He seems like he is opening up to them and seems like he has his head on his shoulders. Makes a change from seeing all the bravado and cheesy one-liners we're used to seeing from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I think it was well over-hyped tbh. I thought someone was about to lose an eye or something going on the trailers! :D

It was pretty cool, but no ambulance, no big drama, guy was fine after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I think it was well over-hyped tbh. I thought someone was about to lose an eye or something going on the trailers! :D

It was pretty cool, but no ambulance, no big drama, guy was fine after.

He was out for four minutes, that's pretty bad! And he did go to hospital. But I agree, I thought someone's head was going to actually explode going by all the build-up, not "man gets kicked in the head and goes to sleep shocker".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭CZ 453

rain on wrote: »
    He was out for four minutes, that's pretty bad! And he did go to hospital. But I agree, I thought someone's head was going to actually explode going by all the build-up, not "man gets kicked in the head and goes to sleep shocker".

I know it was edited now but the pause after the fight reflected how true fighters think. No one wants to see someone get badly hurt to the point that they can't fight again.
    The new approach and editing is well done this year.They have revived the show imo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

What about Dr Mazzagatti with the memory diagnosis. Impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

What was it "His memory will come back in about an hour" or something to that effect? :D

Ok, the kid was out, and well dazzled, but what was all that in the trailers? someone wrapped up heading off in an ambulance? They fooled me, I wasn't taking my eyes off screen the whole fight!

Any season predictions?

Advertisement