Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Red Bull Storm Chase‏@rbstormchase

Red Bull Storm Chase Mission #1 to Ireland: IT'S A GO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Why are the strongest winds at the southern edge of storms? Is it because that edge is affected by the jet stream or is there another reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

NOAA are pretty excited about the big Atlantic storm. They've been posting about it on the Ocean Prediction Center facebook page.

They mention 927mb but their forecasts go in 24 hour periods so it would only be luck if it was at it's most intense exactly at 24 hours. The models suggest it being a few mb stronger after that.

kEel6A0.jpg

It's 981mb at the moment.

Maq: just looking at the ME 5 day forcast Tuesday's wind chart at 18z are they sustained wind speeds?

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Maq: just looking at the ME 5 day forcast Tuesday's wind chart at 18z are they sustained wind speeds?

Yep.

Also, our big Atlantic low has a name now- Jolle!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Visible wavelength image at midday.

237960.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

is this supposed to be hitting us now. Very windy and lashing here now.`Citywest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

paddy ocon wrote: »
    is this supposed to be hitting us now. Very windy and lashing here now.`Citywest

300px-Paris_Tuileries_Garden_Facepalm_statue.jpg

:rolleyes:

No, that rain and wind is from a much smaller low to our northwest today.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭paddy ocon

sorry for asking !!!! thanks Maquiladora

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Heavy rain here in the last 30mins, not what i needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭monster1

sorry for asking !!!! thanks Maquiladora

yes, it would of been a lot easier to answer your question than upload a stupid facepalm pic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

NOAA are pretty excited about the big Atlantic storm. They've been posting about it on the Ocean Prediction Center facebook page.

They mention 927mb but their forecasts go in 24 hour periods so it would only be luck if it was at it's most intense exactly at 24 hours. The models suggest it being a few mb stronger after that.

It's 981mb at the moment.

I wonder will they send out one of their recon planes for this, purely for scientific reasons?

monster1 wrote: »
    yes, it would of been a lot easier to answer your question than upload a stupid facepalm pic

Wouldnt have had the same effect of facepalmness .. sorry! ha

Hence why i put the >>> :rolleyes: <<< in ! :)

Sorry if it made one feel bad.

Gonna be some spot flooding after this rain , roads are already bad on the m50 of what i hear .

Anyone in the NW planning on chasing next week then? :pac:

237967.png

Rougies wrote: »
    I wonder will they send out one of their recon planes for this, purely for scientific reasons?

Doesn't look like it.

I. ATLANTIC REQUIREMENTS

1. NEGATIVE RECONNAISSANCE REQUIREMENTS.
    2. OUTLOOK FOR SUCCEEDING DAY.....NEGATIVE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Wouldnt have had the same effect of facepalmness .. sorry! ha

Hence why i put the >>> :rolleyes: <<< in ! :)

Sorry if it made one feel bad.

Gonna be some spot flooding after this rain , roads are already bad on the m50 of what i hear .

Anyone in the NW planning on chasing next week then? :pac:

237967.png

Holy moly have not checked this thread since yesterday and I thought the storm was tracking away - that looks like a Face Plant

nelly17 wrote: »
    Holy moly have not checked this thread since yesterday and I thought the storm was tracking away - that looks like a Face Plant

Those winds aren't from the main storm. Some models are showing two more storms passing close by here Monday and Tuesday. It's complicated and not really nailed down yet.

Are we nearing a Level 1 extreme event ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think the time period to look for a severe storm for Ireland is circa 96hrs as the jet re-strengthens close to our shores.
    The jet well over 150knots

Rtavn9615.png

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Are we nearing a Level 1 extreme event ?

For the risk of some local flooding anyway I'd say so, heavy rain due tomorrow on top of today's rain and a the risk of more heavy rain early next week.

Still a fair bit of uncertainty with winds. The lows on Monday/Tuesday could end up tracking well away from us or get absorbed and not deepen at all.

• Advertisement

'Jolle' at 3pm is 976mb.

Miss seeing these colours on radar! :)

237976.png

12Z GFS downgrades Monday's potential storm for here and tracks Tuesday's potential storm hundreds of miles further west of us. Big changes with these lows from just six hours ago. Impossible to know what will actually happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Image at 3pm.

237991.jpg

Dr Jeff Masters on The Weather Underground:

jan25_sat.jpg

How low will it go? Massive Atlantic storm winding up

In the Northern Atlantic, an extratropical storm that brought up to 6" of snow to Maryland on Thursday is rapidly intensifying about 500 miles east of Newfoundland, Canada, and figures to become one of the most intense storms ever observed in the North Atlantic. This meteorological "bomb" was analyzed with a central pressure of 984 mb at 12Z (7 am EST) Friday morning by NOAA's Ocean Prediction Center; the GFS and ECMWF models both predict that the storm will deepen by 60 mb in 24 hours, reaching a central pressure of 924 - 928 mb by 7 am EST Saturday morning. This is the central pressure one commonly sees in Category 4 hurricanes, and is a very rare intensity for an extratropical storm to attain. Since extratropical storms do not form eyewalls, the winds of the massive Atlantic low are predicted to peak at 90 mph (Category 1 hurricane strength), with significant wave heights reaching 52 feet (16 meters.) Fortunately, the storm is expected to weaken dramatically before reaching any land areas, and will only be a concern to shipping. The intensification process will be aided by the strong contrast between the frigid Arctic air flowing off the coast of Canada from this week's cold blast, and the warm air lying over the warm waters of the Gulf Stream current. The ultimate strength of the storm will depend upon where the center tracks in relation to several warm eddies of the Gulf Stream along its path. According to wunderground's weather historian Christopher C. Burt's post on Super Extratropical Storms, the all-time record lowest pressure for a North Atlantic extratropical storm is 913 mb, set on January 11, 1993, near Scotland's Shetland Islands. The mighty 1993 storm broke apart the super oil tanker Braer on a rocky shoal in the Shetland Islands, causing a massive oil spill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ok...don't really understand much of what's posted above, but I do have one question; Is it going to stop raining today at all??? It hasn't stopped for hours here (Dublin 15).

Signed,

Grumpy and soon to be very wet motorcyclist. :(

(Presuming this rain is to do with the storm mentioned in this thread.)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Rattle

I think the time period to look for a severe storm for Ireland is circa 96hrs as the jet re-strengthens close to our shores.
    The jet well over 150knots
    Google tells me 150 knots is 277 km/h !?! I presume those wind speeds are not at ground level.

Ok...don't really understand much of what's posted above, but I do have one question; Is it going to stop raining today at all??? It hasn't stopped for hours here (Dublin 15).

Signed,

Grumpy and soon to be very wet motorcyclist. :(

(Presuming this rain is to do with the storm mentioned in this thread.)

Should be stopped later this evening/early tonight.

Rattle wrote: »
    Google tells me 150 knots is 277 km/h !?! I presume those wind speeds are not at ground level.

No, 9km up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Rattle wrote: »

No at 300hPa, circa 8/9km up!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement