Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

From the latest NOAA forecast for 96 hours. 85 knot wind barb...

MA0G9aa.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

:eek:
    From the latest NOAA forecast for 96 hours. 85 knot wind barb...

MA0G9aa.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Wow

wTDuq47.jpg

May be a silly question, but what is 'ft'? I thought it might be wave height but that would be some big waves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

May be a silly question, but what is 'ft'? I thought it might be wave height but that would be some big waves!!

it is feet.they would huge if the swells made it to shore and hit some slabs of rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Could be a chance the highest ever recorded wave is going to be broken looking that that chart. Which was a 67-foot wave off the coast of Donegal recorded on the 13th December 2011 on the M4 bouy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/13/ireland-biggest-wave-recorded-donegal

Hopefully this system will stay well away from Ireland, although I reckon there must be some worried people in Met Eireann and shipping companies.

• Advertisement

Spindle wrote: »
    Could be a chance the highest ever recorded wave is going to be broken looking that that chart. Which was a 67-foot wave off the coast of Donegal recorded on the 13th December 2011 on the M4 bouy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/13/ireland-biggest-wave-recorded-donegal

Hopefully this system will stay well away from Ireland, although I reckon there must be some worried people in Met Eireann and shipping companies.

Given that the wave model this morning shows higher waves than the model did for the 2011 storm that set that record then it's certainly possible that if it happened as the models suggest right now then it could set a new record, maybe at M6 not M4.

Thats all assuming that the models have got the track and intensity right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Certainly a potentially impressive low pressure storm indeed. But normally these intense deep lows get shunted up towards Iceland or Greenland, on this projected development. The ones where we get the worst storms are those 'bomb' scenarios starting out innocently enough about 1000 miles from the southwest and blasting by close to the NW coast and up to Scotland or across N England.

We'll just have to keep an eye on things I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Is this storm going to hit land ? ( sorry i can't read charts but interested in weather :) )

If it is going to hit land.. when ?.. and will it reach East Coast ?

thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Very interesting if you live on the W NW Coast

http://mathsci.ucd.ie/met/mcc-wind-d2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Given that the wave model this morning shows higher waves than the model did for the 2011 storm that set that record then it's certainly possible that if it happened as the models suggest right now then it could set a new record, maybe at M6 not M4.

Thats all assuming that the models have got the track and intensity right.

At least it provides another few days of interesting model watching, eyes down at 4 for the next GFS run.

• Advertisement

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Very interesting if you live on the W NW Coast

http://mathsci.ucd.ie/met/mcc-wind-d2.html

Thats not that bad really. The wind it's showing there is from another smaller low that might be off the northwest on Friday,

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Starters before the Main Course then:(

12Z NAE is showing a small but powerful low winding up as it approaches the west on Friday. This is a smaller, fast developing feature not to be confused with the big Atlantic low that most of this thread has been talking about.

cJEReGR.gif

A small area of sustained winds up to hurricane force, 75mph.

r3svOkt.gif

NAE only goes to 48 hours. We'll see if it's still there on the 18Z later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looking even more of a monster on the 12z gfs
    It is a definite fish though, not coming too near us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Ah it's grand folks! Nothing to worry about!

gangnam-hurricane.gif?w=500

12Z GFS brings the big Atlantic low to 921mb at 69 hours.

Sustained winds of 97 mph out at sea. Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Nudged a little South but not by much
    If that hit Ireland straight on, I kid you not I would be on a plane out of here. It's a complete monster

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Nudged a little South but not by much
    If that hit Ireland straight on, I kid you not I would be on a plane out of here. It's a complete monster

is it coming anywhere near us?

12Z GFS. A beast of a storm. Huge windfield. Thankfully it stays a few hundred miles to our west when it peaks.

rARyfHi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So will it affect us at all? Will it be windy in the west and north west?
    Nothing mentioned by met e.

• Advertisement

The smaller low on Friday is worth watching as it may bring strong winds to parts, but there is a lot of uncertainty about it.

The bigger low looks likely to stay hundreds of miles offshore when it peaks. The only impact here would be some wind, rain and huge waves on the west coast.

I had a click through the 12z GEFS perurbations there. A shocking number of them bringing the large storm system scarily close to Ireland. Anyone with a better eye for this than me had a look yet?

I like windy weather and that buzz when the leccy goes and you light a candle, but man we wouldn't want a storm like that. Hope it fecks off to Greenland in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

The smaller low on Friday is worth watching as it may bring strong winds to parts, but there is a lot of uncertainty about it.

The bigger low looks likely to stay hundreds of miles offshore when it peaks. The only impact here would be some wind, rain and huge waves on the west coast.

I've probably missed this already mentioned but did you say this mega storm was for Sunday?

dopolahpec wrote: »
    I had a click through the 12z GEFS perurbations there. A shocking number of them bringing the large storm system scarily close to Ireland. Anyone with a better eye for this than me had a look yet?

I like windy weather and that buzz when the leccy goes and you light a candle, but man we wouldn't want a storm like that. Hope it fecks off to Greenland in the end.

A number of them also show secondary systems winding up straight over us, which could be an even bigger problem than the main low.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-MSW-Surf-Charts/1/?imageScale=swell&chartType=HTSGW

For all you surfers out there Sunday looks like a big wave day. Get the jet ski out and the tow in gear. Maybe the wind will be too much.

I've probably missed this already mentioned but did you say this mega storm was for Sunday?

It looks like the main storm will be peaking Saturday/Sunday, out in the Atlantic. There will be no damaging winds reaching here from that, all the strongest winds will be out in the Atlantic, but we will get rain and big waves on the west coast. From Friday out to early next week there is potential for strong winds here from other areas of low pressure though. It's a complicated situation.

A number of them also show secondary systems winding up straight over us, which could be an even bigger problem than the main low.

Being chucked out of the atlantic like frisbees

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

red bull storm chaser's have been put on standby

http://www.redbullstormchase.com

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Just look at this system, 18z has center near 925mb at 6z Saturday

80 knot wind barb to boot.

Rtavn601.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭aboyro

i'm loving this winters roller coaster, snow one week and then a cat2 hurricane the next. its f@@kin awesome i tell ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement