Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

snaps wrote: »
    have you found it yet? Its a big thing to loose! Lots of homes in conemmara have no electric.

It must be a really small one about the size of a digital picture frame. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

In my location last Monday's event was definitely worse in terms of gusty winds. I think some midland counties seemed to escape the worst of it last night (well according to most of the automated wind forecasting sites).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

didnt think it was that bad last night (SW Donegal) lots of small branches on the road, at least we had electricity (which we didnt for 7 hours on monday morning and a couple of hours wednesday morning)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

didnt think it was that bad last night (SW Donegal) lots of small branches on the road, at least we had electricity (which we didnt for 7 hours on monday morning and a couple of hours wednesday morning)

you must of been in a deep trance, thought it was very rough night myself,the windiest ive seen all week, still fairly rough here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

My favourite tree,an evergreen oak,at least 300 years old came down in last nights storm :-(
    Cracked in 2 places right from its huge base around 1.30 am narrowly missing the house.

It was like a person to me,I knew it all my life and was very proud of it.
    It was if it knew not to fall directly on the house.

• Advertisement

whitebriar wrote: »
    My favourite tree,an evergreen oak,at least 300 years old came down in last nights storm :-(
    Cracked in 2 places right from its huge base around 1.30 am narrowly missing the house.

aw, man, so sorry to hear that. :(

But delighted you and your family were not injured.

( thats a beautiful thing to say about your tree, it really is )

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

crazy hour or two had last night in tramore, the weather just cracked up for a while! amazing blue lighting going on over the bay and winds that tryed to rip my window off (i had it open to have a cigarette while i watched the lightning, and caught it just in time, the handles are just a little damaged) then come 3am it was a beautiful clear calm night. are we due it again tomorrow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

At 00.45 it went a bit mad in Waterford, the rain was horizontal and smashing against the front door window, the wind was so loud I actually leapt out of bed to check it was still outside and not rampaging down the hall - throw in thunder and lightening and it was pretty intense for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Of course I was not checking in on the weather for a few days. That was some mental hour last night in Cork City. Didn't have the computer on either, so just checking this morning if there were any good radar screen caps.

It was the worst wind I say we have seen down here since the big Xmas storm in 96. Good few trees and big branches down. The windows in the house were flexing with the gusts, some of which lasted nearly 50 seconds or more.

Lost count of the number of times lightning strikes were very near or overhead, there was even some impressive forked lightning on show. Coupled with that there was a lot of lighting in the distance as could see the flash but not hear the thunder associated with it.

Have never seen a thunder storm like this in Ireland, it was on a level with a European thunder storm. Lasted about an hour as well which was impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

8432562842_59ab511c91_b.jpg
    Untitled by blackbird1973, on Flickr
    captured about midnight

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

whitebriar wrote: »

Plant 10 more to make up for the one that fell. In 300 years time your descendants can say the same as you but 10 times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

had to drive home in the thunderstorm last night....not a nice experience:eek:
    the wind was unreal the car was getting pulled all over the place, i honestly dont think the rain was hitting the ground at times is was fully horizontal then just as i got home the lightning was crazy flash after flash. the poor old dogs in the estate where goin nuts.........it will live long in the memory:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

mike65 wrote: »
    At 00.45 it went a bit mad in Waterford, the rain was horizontal and smashing against the front door window, the wind was so loud I actually leapt out of bed to check it was still outside and not rampaging down the hall - throw in thunder and lightening and it was pretty intense for a while.

It was nuts. I woke with the loud bang of thunder, to find the rain hammering the window and I thought the wind was gonna take the roof off :eek:. The dogs were kept indoors thankfully. When I opened the bedroom door they both raced in the bedroom & scampered under the bed clothes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Unreal stuff in west Cork last night some very bad gusts of wind the windows were creeking the blinds were swinging then hailstone and alot of flashes. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

And here it comes again, gusts picking up, only for a few minutes, now back to sun again! Can here distant rumbles of thunder as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

I slept through whatever Arklow got!!!! Wouldn't have known anything happened only for the parents at the school saying they couldn't sleep with the wind and rain :O ....... It's quiet windy ATM but nice and sunny :) ...... Is there more to come today??? ....

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Mighty bit of thunder and lightning in Donegal Town just now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

talkabout wrote: »
    Mighty bit of thunder and lightning in Donegal Town just now

Yeah... it was LOUD ! The second bang was so loud it rattled windows dishes everything. Lights flickered badly but are still on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Christ just had hail the size of golf balls drop here in castlebar, car and house alarms all going off, started after a nice bit of thunder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was nuts. I woke with the loud bang of thunder, to find the rain hammering the window and I thought the wind was gonna take the roof off :eek:. The dogs were kept indoors thankfully. When I opened the bedroom door they both raced in the bedroom & scampered under the bed clothes :)

When I woke this morning I had a quick look out the windows to see if the shed still had a roof and then dressed to check if sat dish, internet antenna and so on was still standing but all was fine, in fact in the dead calm it was like nothing happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Lovely sunny day,then all of a sudden the heavens opened. Gale gusts,sleet and a flash of lightning

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Partner just text me to say there is very light snow in Greystones.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

cotton wrote: »
    Partner just text me to say there is very light snow in Greystones.:)

Ah that must be a lie...we never get snow in Greystones. It must be sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

red_bairn wrote: »
    Ah that must be a lie...we never get snow in Greystones. It must be sleet.

We do up on Windgates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Jpmarn wrote: »
    In the Limerick area, saw no lighting or heard any thunder.

Yes, there was

lghtnng_zpsae324e8f.gif

Yippee bucketing down hailstones here, started off as rain, but now its sounds like Im in a drum, cant hear them bouncing off the windows and down the chimney, very dark too :)

the driveway is white :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭lolie

Xenji wrote: »
    Christ just had hail the size of golf balls drop here in castlebar, car and house alarms all going off, started after a nice bit of thunder

Looking at the radar thats the same shower that dropped big hail here about half 1. You hardly took any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

I have never seen hailstones as big as golf balls in Ireland, but there seems to be quite a few reports of the the last few days. Any pics with scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

Crazy heavy hail here in inchicore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Wow. That hail shower was unreal... :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement