Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Drummer Mummer

Very strong sustained winds here on the East Meath Coast, a huge gust a while ago, thought the roof had gone, squally showers too, pretty scary stuff

Guessing it's going to be near-random squally stuff falling for the rest of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

I looked at the usual Google forecast this morning and it said wind around 35 kmph (compared 45, 60 etc last few days) and I thought sure, that's fine for biking. And as I got geared up, wind and rain has picked up outside here in Drogheda and it's now howling here. Very dark and raining hard as well. Sorry, I have no scientific reading of anything but it's 'really really' windy and raining 'pretty hard'.

Is this something that will clear in next hour or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

It's a wheelie bin massacre out there. Heavy squalls rushing through here, last one frightened the kids. Great day ahead.

Max gust so far of 64knots at Mace Head. Is that higher than Sunday/Monday event?

Day just turned to night here! Eerie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Violent squally downpour has just roared through in Galway, really impressive to watch with severe gusts and horizontally driving rain and hail, went almost completely dark as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

The sea in Galway bay is the roughest I've seen it all week.
    Probably help by that squall that just passed over.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭RoisinD

Harps wrote: »
    Violent squally downpour has just roared through in Galway, really impressive to watch with severe gusts and horizontally driving rain and hail, went almost completely dark as well

We had these earlier but I can see them heading in, in the distance. I have to say that the last few days has been the kind of weather I enjoy the most. Lots of strong winds in the daytime so you can really appreciate the power of the wind, high seas, squally showers/hail racing in, thunder, lightening, not too cold and who knows what next!

I cannot understand the great fuss over snow when this kind of weather offers almost everything.

NW Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

dloob wrote: »
    The sea in Galway bay is the roughest I've seen it all week.
    Probably help by that squall that just passed over.

pretty wild out there

a couple of good surfcams here
    http://magicseaweed.com/UK-Ireland-Surf-Webcams-Partner/1/
    http://www.oceanscene.ie/lahinchsurfingcentersurfwebcam.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Lahinch looks wild, some impressive waves there.

RoisinD wrote: »

We had these earlier but I can see them heading in, in the distance. I have to say that the last few days has been the kind of weather I enjoy the most. Lots of strong winds in the daytime so you can really appreciate the power of the wind, high seas, squally showers/hail racing in, thunder, lightening, not too cold and who knows what next!

I cannot understand the great fuss over snow when this kind of weather offers almost everything.

NW Clare

Definitely, I love a bit of snow now and again but can't understand the complete obsession on here at times. You can't beat some good active weather, there hasn't been a proper storm all week which is a shame but in the past 5 days we've had strong winds, torrential downpours, hail and snows qualls, thunder and lightning and everything from bitter windchill to almost warm weather yesterday. Long may it continue

• Advertisement

Mace head now up to 69 Knots max gust.That's 127 km/h, impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Sounds like a nice wild day in the west. :)
    Weather Warning

Issued at 30 January 2013 - 09:39

Weather Warning

Extremely windy for a time this morning and early afternoon. Westerly winds with mean speeds of 55-60 km/hr will gust 85-100 km/hr. Near west and southwest coasts winds will reach 60-70 km/hr with gusts of 100-120 km/hr.

Valid from 09:30 30-Jan-2013 until 15:00 30-Jan-2013

Sounds like a nice wild day in the west. :)

A great day to be off work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Them squalls are really bringing down those winds.

Very gusty here in Dublin at the moment in this shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Harps wrote: »
    Definitely, I love a bit of snow now and again but can't understand the complete obsession on here at times. You can't beat some good active weather, there hasn't been a proper storm all week which is a shame but in the past 5 days we've had strong winds, torrential downpours, hail and snows qualls, thunder and lightning and everything from bitter windchill to almost warm weather yesterday. Long may it continue

Hell no , Each to their own, its not a competition between the weathers, I like stormy weather but bring on the rollercoaster which MT gave the go ahead today :D Stormy weather is a lot more common that snow. Nobody on the outside understands a snow bunnys obsession!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

A gust of 69 knots in Mace head. Thats nearly 130KPH!

Seems a bit of a swirl has developed in the shower trough there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

positron wrote: »
    Is this something that will clear in next hour or so?

Went out on bike when I saw a break in the cloud and the Sun was shinnig etc, and before I did 5 miles the rain and wind returned with some vengeance and almost pushed me off the road again. U-turn, back in my kitchen now, working from home for the rest of the day. Public transport tomorrow - first time in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭miseagustusa

Sun is shining here in Arklow but my god is it windy :O ...... Hate the wind when I have to drive :( ...... And looking at most of the comments it's to get worse :( .... Think ill go collect the chaps from school early!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Another rattle of thunder here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭pauldry

"only" 63 knots now in mace hd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Got no showers here, winds gusted to 77.2km/hr and sustained at 44km/hr at 4 metres.

Alot of fields waterlogged after all those downpours, some places could be in trouble later on. Looks good on sat24 for round 3, or is it 4, I've lost count of them at this stage.

Yeah looks like another active system for later

Calmed down a lot in Galway now, showers have cleared and wind has died down, good sunshine at the moment. Something I just noticed is that Malin and Belmullet are the two calmest stations in the country at the moment, not too often you see that!

Has the wind to get worse on the east coast???

Has the wind to get worse on the east coast???

I think so, it's really picked up in the city centre.

Thanks Deank!!! ...... I was hoping for a diff answer though :) ...... Back gate just came off its hinges, 3 slates have come off neighbours roof, trampoline is rally attempting to take off!!!! ...... Not looking forward to what else will happen when the wind gets worse :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Jesus the met office have issued a WIND warning for NI for tomorrow
    I'm just surprised because often they don't even when met.ie have a wind warning for Ulster etc
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?regionName=ni&tab=map&map=Warnings&zoom=5&lon=-4.84&lat=55.33&fcTime=1359460860

Thanks Deank!!! ...... I was hoping for a diff answer though :) ...... Back gate just came off its hinges, 3 slates have come off neighbours roof, trampoline is rally attempting to take off!!!! ...... Not looking forward to what else will happen when the wind gets worse :(

Ouch, the gate must have been facing in an east / west direction so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

anyone have any predictions for the weekend??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

srumball wrote: »
    anyone have any predictions for the weekend??
    Rain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement