Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Latest from met.ie
    Warnings

Weather Warning

Issued at 28 January 2013 - 22:07
    Wind warning

Coastal counties of Connacht and Munster
    South to southwest winds will reach mean speeds of 45 to 60 km/hr with gusts of 60 to 90 km/hr.
    Valid from 09:00 to 15:00 hours Tuesday 29th January

Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim and Donegal
    Southwest to west winds will reach mean speeds of 60 to 75 km/hr with gusts of 90 to 120 km/hr - strongest in coastal areas.
    Valid from 15:00 to 24:00 hours Tuesday 29th January

Upgrade from earlier on

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Tornado in Blanchardstown at the moment. Dublin and Wicklow get all the best wind storms. It's a hurracaine lightening storm here, same as this time last year, and the time before that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

F-Stop wrote: »
    Tornado in Blanchardstown at the moment. Dublin and Wicklow get all the best wind storms. It's a hurracaine lightening storm here, same as this time last year, and the time before that...

At least spell the terms correctly if you feel like trolling. Mods, please delete my post and the post above mine and we can all move on in peace :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Agree totally with Rougies.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

At least spell the terms correctly if you feel like trolling. Mods, please delete my post and the post above mine and we can all move on in peace

It was a joke - you guys got to lightening up. it was just a reference to the snow threads that was obviously missed. No harm meant.

EDIT: I edited this post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Rougies

F-Stop wrote: »
    It was a joke - you guys got to lightening up. it was just a reference to the snow threads that was obviously missed. No harm meant.

EDIT: I edited this post.

Comedic timing is your friend. No harm in a few rotten tomatoes to the face every now and then to keep you on your toes :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Jesus, the 6z GFS has really powered up that system for Friday...this is a good few hours into it

gfs-0-84hil5_mini.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Jesus, the 6z GFS has really powered up that system for Friday...this is a good few hours into it

gfs-0-84hil5_mini.png

Yes, the ECM is very similar if we had a chart for that time.

Interesting, we would see some cold air dig in for a time too with rain turning to snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Yes, the ECM is very similar if we had a chart for that time.

Interesting, we would see some cold air dig in for a time too with rain turning to snow.

Flood risk for east?

East coast could take a pounding Friday.

Rtavn849.png

Rtavn8413.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

dopolahpec wrote: »
    Flood risk for east?

I believe the GFS is not great for predicting precipitation, but you'd have to assume that it will be.

gfs-2-78.png?6?6

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

06Z GFS for Friday showing gusts up to about 110 km/h for the east.

GovmR3H.jpg

0Z ECM sustains winds in knots. Gales along some east/south east coasts.

OudNfBG.jpg

R3De4cS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

06Z GFS for Friday showing gusts up to about 110 km/h for the east.

http://i.imgur.com/GovmR3H.jpg

0Z ECM sustains winds in knots. Gales along some east/south east coasts.

http://i.imgur.com/OudNfBG.jpg

Yeah!!! We're getting a storm on the East Coast for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

zerks wrote: »
    Yeah!!! We're getting a storm on the East Coast for a change.

Maybe. Looking at the GFS ensembles I wouldn't have much confidence in that at the moment. It could take a different track or develop later not giving any strong winds at all. Or it could be stronger.

Casement had a gust of 114 km/h yesterday and Dublin Airport had gusts over 100 km/h to so gusts up to 110 km/h for the coast like what the GFS is showing wouldn't exactly be earth shattering. ;) Needs to be watched though cause there is potential there for something more significant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Breezy today in Galway but at least the rain is nowhere near as bad as yesterday.

Good picture of yesterdays downpour from the Galway Independent
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151204506807186&set=a.10151204506517186.449026.288313132185&type=3&theater
    484650_10151204506807186_443951151_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

We got... DEBRIS

238537.png

Pity.... that tree was Shadow's favourite tree to pee on ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Gone very stormy in Galway in the past half hour, on a par with yesterday I was not expecting it to be this windy today

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Maybe. Looking at the GFS ensembles I wouldn't have much confidence in that at the moment. It could take a different track or develop later not giving any strong winds at all. Or it could be stronger.

Casement had a gust of 114 km/h yesterday and Dublin Airport had gusts over 100 km/h to so gusts up to 110 km/h for the coast like what the GFS is showing wouldn't exactly be earth shattering. ;) Needs to be watched though cause there is potential there for something more significant.

Cheers,a maybe is better than nothing at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Some pics of flooding in Galway from the Galway Advertiser

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

It has turned very windy in Castlebar since the rain cleared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Up and down... ;)

238549.png

Didn't even try to put back all upturned garden furniture and other bits and pieces. :D

Current data for Mayo/Roscommon border PWS
    29 Jan 2013 13:34:29

Temperature (°C):
    Current 9,9
    Trend (per hour) +0,5
    Average today 7,1
    Wind chill 5,9
    Heat Index 9,9
    Dew Point 9,8
    Rel Humidity 99%

Wind (km/h):
    Current Gust 58,7 NNW
    Average Speed 39,4 WSW

Rainfall (mm):
    Current rate 0,0
    Last hour 0,6
    Total today 3,3
    Total yesterday 6,9
    Total this month 37,5
    Total this year 37,5

Pressure (hPa):
    Current 961,6
    Trend (per hour) -0,3

Possible squall line developing in the midlands now moving west.

Very windy here now too, gusting above 40kt in Dublin Airport.

Extremely mild too, touching 14c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Squall line moving East me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

The wind in Dun Laoghaire is mental! I was out in it and was blown to a standstill at one stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kerrywez

I really do not see where this event is coming from, the Net office UK has issued an early warning as in the post above, yet here is their pressure chart for Friday and I cannot see any close isobars on it so where are these winds going to come from, or is it that the forecasts we have seen, above, are for the upper atmosphere and not the surface? Have a look here and if it is on today scroll across to Friday http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColor&fcTime=1359676800

I am sure some body will let me know what the true story is.

Regards Wez

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

kerrywez wrote: »
    I really do not see where this event is coming from, the Net office UK has issued an early warning as in the post above, yet here is their pressure chart for Friday and I cannot see any close isobars on it so where are these winds going to come from, or is it that the forecasts we have seen, above, are for the upper atmosphere and not the surface? Have a look here and if it is on today scroll across to Friday http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/surface-pressure/#?tab=surfacePressureColor&fcTime=1359676800

I am sure some body will let me know what the true story is.

Regards Wez

UKMO Surface Pressure Chart for Friday from http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-bin/expertcharts?LANG=en&MENU=0000000000&CONT=ukuk&MODELL=ukmo&MODELLTYP=1&BASE=-&VAR=pslv&HH=96&ZOOM=0&ARCHIV=0&RES=0&WMO=&PERIOD=

13020200_2900.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Possible squall line developing in the midlands now moving East.

Very windy here now too, gusting above 40kt in Dublin Airport.

Extremely mild too, touching 14c

Temp is dropping 3 or 4 degrees with the squall line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Don't be putting too much faith in UKMO raw output.

Keep an eye on the hand drawn charts to see the professional thoughts on positioning of Friday's low.

Looks further south at the moment but very much subject to change.

[IMG][/img]fax84s_bmk4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Dublin Airport and Phoenix Park showing 14C at 2pm. Here in Dun Laoghaire the Harbour station is showing 15.8C and its overcast here so no sun effect. It feels very clammy the last few hours.

• Advertisement

The wind in Dun Laoghaire is mental! I was out in it and was blown to a standstill at one stage.

ooh, nice :) its very calm here in Lucan. Would love a gusty windy day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement