Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atlantic Storm Watch: Turning Unsettled with Gales

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭oisingeogho

Etihad Airways flight from Abu Dhabi at around 4 p.m. was about 40 feet above the runway in Dublin airport and had to go back up again as it was too windy to land. The flight landed 20 mins later in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    is there more winds on the way? not sure i can take much more. eeeek:eek:

If you are too young to remember Feb 1990, then the last couple of days would have seemed exceptionally calm in comparison. Gales recorded almost every day of the month with frequent, damaging storms that would put recent attempts (if you could even call them that) to shame.

The month started kicking ass from the very start :)
    238668.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Friday's east coast winds have turned into France's west coast winds.

Thursday stll looks windy, but nothing dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    If you are too young to remember Feb 1990, then the last couple of days would have seemed exceptionally calm in comparison. Gales recorded almost every day of the month with frequent, damaging storms that would put recent attempts (if you could even call them that) to shame.

The month started kicking ass from the very start :)
    238668.png

i was 7, so i don't remember :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I was 11 and I dont remember either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

I was 3-and-a-half years old and I remember it. The Burns' Day Storm hit a few days beforehand on the 27th of January. I lived in London at the time and I remember broken trees all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

I wonder was it the year I flew around in my red cloak and blue jumper with a big 'S' in red on a A4 sheet. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Bsal

Another windy day tomorrow.

Capture3_zpsa8d39b6a.png

Capture4_zps8e61d891.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

Thunder has just woken me up in donegal,very bad lightning wasn't expecting it
    Look at the lightning radar http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/#?tab=map&map=Lightning&fcTime=1359481500&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.67

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Weathering wrote: »
    Thunder has just woken me up in donegal,very bad lightning wasn't expecting it
    Look at the lightning radar http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observations/#?tab=map&map=Lightning&fcTime=1359481500&zoom=5&lon=-4.00&lat=55.67
    me too, massive amounts of flashes. Very hard to hear the thunder because the wind is howling, hail and rain hammering down on windows and roof. Kids now up too. South mayo.

• Advertisement

It's unusual lightning,it's double or triple flashes not the usual one. Calm here at present,doubt it will be for much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Any chance of posting snapshot please, not showing up on mobile

It's unusual lightning,it's double or triple flashes not the usual one. Calm here at present,doubt it will be for much longer
    same here, first of all thought someone was in our garden shining a torch at our window. 2-3 flashes per clap of thunder.

link won't upload right pangea sorry,just seen another flash,counted 5seconds until i heard so only a mile away
    the weather freak within is preventing me from going back to sleep until this passes ha
    yeah perfect description there snaps

Pangea wrote: »
    Any chance of posting snapshot please, not showing up on mobile
    this link is working on my mobile. Some real beautys heading in!
    http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

snaps wrote: »
    this link is working on my mobile. Some real beautys heading in!
    http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html

Thanks, not working on mines, had to get up to turn on pc, Impressive in Mayo

massive hail,howling winds and the occasional flash now

massive hail,howling winds and the occasional flash now
    the hail sounds like golf balls. Unreal noise. Lots of lights on around the neighbours houses, so many people have been woken up.

Looks like theres quiet a thunderstorm going on not far from Tuam ..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,393 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Squall line making rapid progress east across northern counties, will probably weaken soon, rest of day will be moderately windy then a more organized area of strong winds and cold front due in around 9 p.m. peaking midnight to 0400h, winds may gust to 110 km/hr from SW then veer westerly. More squally showers at times today and tonight.

Tuesday currently looks very windy (WNW gales) on 6-day charts, and some models are going very cold end of next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Thunder, lightning hail and strong winds at 5am here in north west mayo. Lighting very close by for about 15mins.

snaps wrote: »
    the hail sounds like golf balls. Unreal noise. Lots of lights on around the neighbours houses, so many people have been woken up.

still lashing but haven't seen a flash for a while now. streets like a stream

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

What a pleasant way to wake up. Thunder & lightening 6.06am :)

Wind seems stronger than any of the last few days. Walking to work was a struggle and wet!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ger8

Definitely the wind is stronger than it was the last few days here in Galway. No thunder or lighting. Yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Very interesting night here in Connemara, lots of thunder, lightning and wind and hail. Been a long time since I've seen anything like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Very stormy morning in Galway, thunderstorm as usual missed me by a few miles but was awoken at 6.45 by some torrential hail battering the window and haven't slept since, easily the stormiest its been all week at the moment with some very strong gusts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

thunder at 5am here in donegal - knocked the power out, twice this week !

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭shmaupel

irish1967 wrote: »
    What a pleasant way to wake up. Thunder & lightening 6.06am :)

They were really long rolls of thunder, weren't they. Takes a lot to wake me from my sleep :-)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Very heavy squalls of rain sweeping galway. Ugh.
    Also there was thunder and lightning around 0515..or whatever time it woke me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement