Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Options
  • 20-01-2013 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Has anyone signed up recently and received their Sky Hub and have the service up and running?

If so, what was the time between signing up on the phone and actually having BB with Sky. And what sort of speed are you getting relative to what Sky reckoned was available on your line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Probably a bit unhelpful as I don't have it up and running but when I called to sign up on Thursday, the girl told me I'd be waiting at least 2 weeks due to the amount of people signing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Barry5714

Not fully set up yet but got the phone call & signed up on Wednesday 9th Jan, received email on Saturday 19th saying sky hub had been dispatched and broadband should be activated on or before the 25th...
    So roughly 2 weeks and this is switching over from Vodafone on a non LLU exchange...

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Nothing happens for the first six days after signing as that's a cooling off period.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

keep us updated to anyones whos order starts progressing

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

BArra wrote: »
    keep us updated to anyones whos order starts progressing

ordered 7th Jan
    under 'my broadband' the activation date was initially showing as 23rd
    got an email early AM Fri 18th to say BB was active
    on checking the sky site I could see the DPD reference number

a further email early AM Sat 19th to say router was on the way, DPD reference number included

on checking the DPD site (Sat AM), the router arrived at their depot late on Fri night so was hoping it would have arrived Saturday as it showed 'CONTRACT B O'NIGHT' but no delivery

will probably have to wait til about 9am to check the dpd site again to see if it's out for delivery for Monday

luckily vodafone haven't disconnected me yet :D
    haven't had to reboot the router thankfully - afraid to in case I lose my connection
    waiting to see if the next forced IP reset will have any effect

Sky Talk Anytime still showing as awaiting activation - this will prob be the 23rd that was referred to on the sky site???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I placed my order on Monday evening (14th Jan) , Router arrived on the Wednesday , Broadband went live on Thursday and the phone service went live on the Friday (18th) - So less than 5 days for me..

I was moving from Vodafone (and was well out of contract), but did not have Broadband service from them, only Phone service , so I think that contributed to the speed for me as there was little paper-work involved in the transition.

I think I was just lucky though - the general consensus from others that have posted here and in the other threads regarding the Sky bundles would appear to be about 10 days or so

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭lapsed

A bit OT but as Sky demand a landline for its services ( Tee Vee ) is there any real saving on having their phone and broadband if I still have to pay Eircom for their landline ? Or does taking their Phone + broadband obviate the need for a landline ?

lapsed wrote: »
    A bit OT but as Sky demand a landline for its services ( Tee Vee ) is there any real saving on having their phone and broadband if I still have to pay Eircom for their landline ? Or does taking their Phone + broadband obviate the need for a landline ?

Sky's Talk & Broadband use a phone line for service. It is not by satellite.
    The saving is that you don't pay any line rental for the 1st year.
    After that who knows ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Registered on the 9th and got two emails this morning to say both Broadband and Phone have gone live.

Havent got my Sky Hub yet though so may be without Broadband until it arrives.
    Checked my status online and at least it has changed to ready for dispatch. Hopefully it wont be too long arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,784 ✭✭✭✭Basq

adox wrote: »

Hopefully it wont be too long arriving.
    Ouch, that's unfortunate!

Wonder if you could configure your existing router's settings with Sky's settings in the meantime?

• Advertisement

Registered on the 9th and got two emails this morning to say both Broadband and Phone have gone live.

Checked my status online and at least it has changed to ready for dispatch. Hopefully it wont be too long arriving.

Has your phone & broadband gone down as according to Sky you shouldn't be without a phone or broadband service during the change over.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Has your phone & broadband gone down as according to Sky you shouldn't be without a phone or broadband service during the change over.

Im in work so cant check at the moment.

Basq wrote: »
    Ouch, that's unfortunate!

Wonder if you could configure your existing router's settings with Sky's settings in the meantime?

I`m sure you could if you had the details but I think they are all included with the hub!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,784 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I`m sure you could if you had the details but I think they are all included with the hub!
    You could probably get them with a quick call to technical support..

Just rang the Mrs and Broadband is still working at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Some delivery company should call to your house, shouldn't they? I remember the sales guy mentioning the name of a delivery company and saying something about them delivering my equipment, then I should go live after midnight later that day (following day).

It's not even the afternoon yet, you might get a knock at the door if you're lucky.

one of the emails may be entitled "Your Sky Hub is on its way..."
    there should be a tracking number on it that you can check on dpd.ie.
    the tracking number should also be viewable on the sky site.

further to my earlier post on this thread, my hub is "out for delivery" since just after 9am today. thankfully I just happen to be off work today so can be here for the courier.

also got an email to say sky talk is active

everything up & running 2 days earlier than the initial predicted date of 23rd. that makes it exactly 2 weeks since the order.

you shouldn't lose your current broadband connection - my VF router is still online, hasn't been rebooted in 6 days 1 hours 56 minutes 49 seconds :D

browsing around the sky site waiting for my router to arrive and saw this ...

good news for anyone that got on the trial & who likes a bit of P2P
    can't say it applies to me tho, couldn't be bothered with the hassle ;)

one of the emails may be entitled "Your Sky Hub is on its way..."
    there should be a tracking number on it that you can check on dpd.ie.
    the tracking number should also be viewable on the sky site.

further to my earlier post on this thread, my hub is "out for delivery" since just after 9am today. thankfully I just happen to be off work today so can be here for the courier.

also got an email to say sky talk is active

everything up & running 2 days earlier than the initial predicted date of 23rd. that makes it exactly 2 weeks since the order.

you shouldn't lose your current broadband connection - my VF router is still online, hasn't been rebooted in 6 days 1 hours 56 minutes 49 seconds :D

Nothing about a tracking number. In fact it says I should have it already haha.
    Got 2 emails, one to notify that my Broadband is active(along with you should have your hub already so set it up etc..) and also one to let me know the phone was live too.

keeping an eye on mysky.com and the order for the hub has been changed to preparing for delivery but no further yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

"MYSky page showing service unavailable atm for me.
    I ordered on Tuesday the 15th Jan, got my paperwork in the post on Friday, thats as far as things have progressed for me.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    "MYSky page showing service unavailable atm for me.
    I ordered on Tuesday the 15th Jan, got my paperwork in the post on Friday, thats as far as things have progressed for me.

I had that happen to me a few times while waiting. Also, if you have ordered line rental and phone calls, it just showed constantly in red saying there is a problem processing the order. I rang them about it and they said it was normal and the order was processing. They activate the Broadband first and then it just went from red to active for the phone, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

I'd give sky a call and ask where your router is adox

BArra wrote: »
    I'd give sky a call and ask where your router is adox

Thanks, did give them a call and there seems to be some sort of mix up their end. Everything is live but for some reason the hub hasnt been sent out. They were on to the couriers and it seems I can expect it on Wednesday.:rolleyes:

Lets hope I dont lose service between now and then but I`m sort of expecting to.

Not a great start but we`ll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Ordered on the 17
    Just checked my account and see the following

We are sorry there has been a delay with your order. We are working to progress your order however, if you are still seeing this message after five or more days,
    please chat to one of our online advisors now. call Sky Customer Services on
    0818 762 917.

DOH

chef wrote: »
    Ordered on the 17
    Just checked my account and see the following

We are sorry there has been a delay with your order. We are working to progress your order however, if you are still seeing this message after five or more days,
    please chat to one of our online advisors now. call Sky Customer Services on
    0818 762 917.

DOH

I think thats just a general message, i had that from day one at times.
    I dont think it means a problem with your order.

Ordered mine Thursday and received it today!! Not activated until 24th!! Boo! Very quick delivery though.

PinkFly wrote: »
    Ordered mine Thursday and received it today!! Not activated until 24th!! Boo! Very quick delivery though.

Jaysus thats fast, I ordered Tuesday and nothing as of yet.

hub arrived a while ago ....

took a quick reading from the voda router before disconnecting ..

Status of DSL Connection
    Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 384
    Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 7168
    SNR Margin (dB): 10.8 18.0
    Attenuation (dB): 13.0 6.0

new sky readings ...

Broadband Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7168 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation 12.5 dB 7.5 dB
    Noise Margin 13.0 dB 19.19 dB

same sync but no surprise as I'm on a non-llu non-adsl2 exchange so profile is set by eircom

speedtest.net
    downstream - 6.43M
    upstream - 0.31
    ping 57ms

speedtest.ie
    Download speed 6098 Kbps
    Upload speed 323 Kbps
    QOS 98 %
    RTT 40 ms
    Max Delay 27 ms

browsing around the hub pages I like:
    • ability to change LAN IP range
    • option to block sites
    • option to reserve IP addresses for devices based on mac address
    • option for DDNS
    • option for wifi mac address filtering
    • uPnP on by default

Dcully wrote: »

Jaysus thats fast, I ordered Tuesday and nothing as of yet.

Yep was really fast. Was expecting it to be two weeks.

• Advertisement

My Vodafone Broadband still working here at home so happy enough for the time being. Worst case scenario I lose it tomorrow and am without it for one evening.

Advertisement