Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Unlimited and Sky Talk

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SomewhereNicer

I just plugged in my sky hub. Really easy to set up. The biggest challenge will be keeping my 2 year old away from the socket switches ;)

Download speed 12.43
    Upload speed 0.85

The best I got on UTV was 4.5 download speed.
    I'm hoping I'll get close to those speeds as well.
    Sky said that my line can take up to 17mbps. But I'm not getting anywhere near that at the moment with my current provider.
    Time will tell...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm hoping I'll get close to those speeds as well.
    Sky said that my line can take up to 17mbps. But I'm not getting anywhere near that at the moment with my current provider.
    Time will tell...

Its 3.85 download now:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Remeber they said they will be tinkering with things for up to 10 days the get the best possible speed while being stable.

bk wrote: »
    Well we really don't know that. Sky could end up swallowing the cost of the line rental to push this service, specially if bundled with a TV package.
    My point is that anyone who joins in April will be paying more pm than the trial customers.
    Unfortunately we don't yet know how the bundles will be structured and priced. But more than likely it'll be similar to how they do it in the UK instead with Irish prices, with probably an initial offer of 6 months free, etc.

Dcully wrote: »
    Remeber they said they will be tinkering with things for up to 10 days the get the best possible speed while being stable.
    True! I was also told to expect the speed to fluctuate for the first while until they get the best speed, and to leave the router powered on during that time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

Your speed should fluctuate for the first 10 days as they try find the fastest speed on your line that won't suffer from constant drop-outs. Sky could probably jack your speed up to 20 mb, but your line would be so sh*t, it's not worth it.

Complain if that keeps happening after 10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

True! I was also told to expect the speed to fluctuate for the first while until they get the best speed, and to leave the router powered on during that time.

What's are your speeds like now? Could you let us know if they only fiddle around with your line during normal working hours, or will fiddle around with it during evenings too?

What's do speed like now? Could you let us know if they only fiddle around with your line during normal working hours, or will fiddle around with it during evenings too?
    Sorry, I'm not set-up yet, still waiting for the hub. So I'll report back when I'm all set-up and running. I'm eager to find out myself.
    With Vodafone atm I'm on 8mb speed, but usually get around 5mb. So I was quite shocked when Sky told me the line could take up to 17mb.
    Regards to the line testing, I'm not entirely sure. I never asked when signing-up. But I do remember when I joined Vodafone a couple of years ago, they did the initial speed tests at various times during the day. Dunno about Sky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

BrianHal wrote: »
    There was a mention of the exchange that you are connected to. If your exchange is LLU (Local Loop Unbundled) then it is e10 for the broadband. If the exchange is non-LLU then (its still under full eircom control apparently and) it is e20 for the broadband part.

You would think when he did the line test at the time of ordering he would have been aware that the exchange might pose problems.... 4 working days later I am still waiting from a call back from Sky as to where the problem lies

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭BrianHal

So far it's been:
    • ordering on Mon 14th
    • contract documentation arrived on Fri 18th
    • email from Sky on Wed 23rd saying my service will start on Tues 29th and that my Sky Hub hasn't been posted yet and there's no point in plugging it in before the 29th when it does arrive as it won't work till the 29th anyway.
    • email from Sky on Wed 23rd (later on) saying my Sky Hub is being dispatched due for delivery in 3-5 days.
    • hub arrived on Wed 23rd (later again)
    All that's left now is to flick the switch and turn the broadband service on

• Advertisement

Has anyone tried some custom settings on the Sky Hub? I'm interested in being able to set the IP address range to start from .10 for example as opposed to the usual default of .2 just above the routers IP. Also can a DMZ be setup, for game consoles etc? And can the wireless network name be customised from the default SKY12345 type of name that is provided?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

So far it's been:
    • ordering on Mon 14th
    • contract documentation arrived on Fri 18th
    • email from Sky on Wed 23rd saying my service will start on Tues 29th and that my Sky Hub hasn't been posted yet and there's no point in plugging it in before the 29th when it does arrive as it won't work till the 29th anyway.
    • email from Sky on Wed 23rd (later on) saying my Sky Hub is being dispatched due for delivery in 3-5 days.
    • hub arrived on Wed 23rd (later again)
    All that's left now is to flick the switch and turn the broadband service on
    did u try setting it up??

naughto wrote: »
    did u try setting it up??

Haven't gone near it yet. I kinda broke my home network setup a few days ago and I'm waiting on new HomePlug gear to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

Has anyone tried some custom settings on the Sky Hub? I'm interested in being able to set the IP address range to start from .10 for example as opposed to the usual default of .2 just above the routers IP. Also can a DMZ be setup, for game consoles etc? And can the wireless network name be customised from the default SKY12345 type of name that is provided?

Yes to all your questions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ascii wrote: »
    You would think when he did the line test at the time of ordering he would have been aware that the exchange might pose problems.... 4 working days later I am still waiting from a call back from Sky as to where the problem lies

You can really just check this yourself. If your on a LLU exchange it's €10 for broadband, if your not it's €20. It's pretty black and white.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭naughto

my broadband is live just s er it up there

Summary Status

Status of your-broadband and wireless network. Broadband Connected Wireless Enabled

Wireless Network Visible Yes Wireless Channel 1 Wireless Encryption WPA2 -PSK

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

adox wrote: »
    Ok I`m having one problem in my set up. I do a lot of local streaming, have Plex on a couple of Macs and ipads and they are working no problem.

I also have a separate app called Homestream that allows me to stream to my Sony Smart tv in the bedroom, but for some reason I cant seem to get this one hooked back up.

On my Homestream list on the Mac the tv upstairs is showing and is listed as connected. When I go on to the tv I can see the Homestream icon and its showing as disconnected. I try to connect and after a couple of minutes it says it cant connect. I thought it may be a firewall problem but considering all my other local streaming seems to work then I doubtful.

Anyone got any ideas or what I could check on the Hub? Its probably my first new router in 7 or 8 years so I`m not really working at any real level of expertise.

Got it sorted. Of course it was something simple n the end. Rebooted the Mac and hey presto!

Everything now running like a charm. Speeds at least the same as Vodafone and I have two hubs! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Simpleton question!!

How do you know it's activated? Have it all plugged in and activation date. I know it can be up till midnight but do I keep trying to connect to find out?

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

I have a problem - anyone can help me out.

1. Got a call from Sky on Jan 10th. Signed up. (on the assumption my Vodafone contract ended on Feb 1st.)
    2. Contacted Vodafone - was informed i was under contact until June 2013. I changed my download allowance from 30GB to 300GB last june - i didnt not know this constituted a new 12 month contract - can someone verify this?
    3. Called Sky on Jan 11th to cancel the order. They could not cancel the signal to take over the line.
    4. Called Vodafone to block the take over - they cannot block it.
    5. Received router from Sky. Called them and they confirmed order cancelled, but could not stop the line been taken over.
    6. Got call from Sky on Jan 23 to wecome me to new service etc etc. Again got them to confirm the cancellation
    7. Looking at Vodafone online, my account is now transferred over to Sky. (although i havent change router, and still have phone

Whats my best option at this point? Contact vodafone again and get service re-instated (without charge i hope!). Leave Vodafone and pay the break up fee (approx 150 euro), and go after Sky as they should have bene able to cancel and order within the cooling off period but were not. Head is melted with been stuck in the middle of 2 immovable objects. Any advice appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

damoz wrote: »
    I have a problem - anyone can help me out.

1. Got a call from Sky on Jan 10th. Signed up. (on the assumption my Vodafone contract ended on Feb 1st.)
    2. Contacted Vodafone - was informed i was under contact until June 2013. I changed my download allowance from 30GB to 300GB last june - i didnt not know this constituted a new 12 month contract - can someone verify this?
    3. Called Sky on Jan 11th to cancel the order. They could not cancel the signal to take over the line.
    4. Called Vodafone to block the take over - they cannot block it.
    5. Received router from Sky. Called them and they confirmed order cancelled, but could not stop the line been taken over.
    6. Got call from Sky on Jan 23 to wecome me to new service etc etc. Again got them to confirm the cancellation
    7. Looking at Vodafone online, my account is now transferred over to Sky. (although i havent change router, and still have phone

Whats my best option at this point? Contact vodafone again and get service re-instated (without charge i hope!). Leave Vodafone and pay the break up fee (approx 150 euro), and go after Sky as they should have bene able to cancel and order within the cooling off period but were not. Head is melted with been stuck in the middle of 2 immovable objects. Any advice appreciated.

Are you saving money by going with Sky? - even with the 150 termination charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Just got the service active email from Sky (ordered 14th, scheduled for 29th)

Just did a speed test on my Vodafone router and my speed has doubled to 6mb.

My guess is that I never set up the sky hub, the service will continue to work :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Just got email too to say my broadband is active, haven't hooked up the sky hub yet though. Why is my eircom ADSL still working though? Should it not be cancelled??

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭rebellad

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Just got the service active email from Sky (ordered 14th, scheduled for 29th)

Just did a speed test on my Vodafone router and my speed has doubled to 6mb.

My guess is that I never set up the sky hub, the service will continue to work :)

Got the same (ordered 14th, scheduled for 29th). Not at home to test my broadband, but no Sky Hub received either!!

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Are you saving money by going with Sky? - even with the 150 termination charge

I would be if i make the assumption my bill would be 20 euro versus my current 55. Not sure if thats an accurate assumption though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭exercise

Hello all,
    Just wondering does anyone have the sky packages price list, how much each phone and broadband package is going to cost, is it costing more or less than our current phone and broadband providers, ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I'll be getting Sky 12mb broadband, free line rental, and unlimited national calls for €18.50 a month, adding in the telephone allowance and I'm paying 9euro a month on a 12 month contract :D

Hopefully talk of getting higher speeds than eircom are true as well, I was getting 8/9 mbps on average so a boost would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

exercise wrote: »
    Hello all,
    Just wondering does anyone have the sky packages price list, how much each phone and broadband package is going to cost, is it costing more or less than our current phone and broadband providers, ??????

Sky are launching nationwide in April. Pricing will not be known until nearer the launch date.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭DublinBeaker

On average i will be about half the price of your current provider.

The reason, I believe, it is cheaper at moment cos Sky are footing the bill for line rental approx 24euro.

Rumours this is for the 1sy 1000 customers and then the official roll out is April, where prices will likely be more.

I ordered mine Wed 16, have contracts out but sky page still says processing and no sign of the Hub yet. In no major rush.

Hopefully it will be an improvement on my 0.5mb download with vodafone though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Are you guys who are getting emails to say service is activated actually getting switched on before estimated date?

I got my hub this morning but service activation is estimated to be 30/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

BArra wrote: »
    Just got email too to say my broadband is active, haven't hooked up the sky hub yet though. Why is my eircom ADSL still working though? Should it not be cancelled??

I had the same with Vodafone. Line was activated but Hub didnt arrive until a couple of days after the activation date. Vodafone DSL was still live when I switched the routers.

Advertisement