Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loungers who Lunch; Cake, Bovril and Penguins...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Posy wrote: »
    I eat at McDonalds a lot on my holidays. I'm clearly so uncouth. :o

Nah, just not very interested in food! I prefer eating out to drinking in a pub so picking nice places is important to me, I'd nearly say eating out is one of my fave parts of holidays! Loads of people couldn't care less and go on hols to do water sports, relax, sunbathe etc. I go to get fat. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

2.5 more lbs lost and I've reached my 10% target! Woooop! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Well done you! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Wow, you're flying it! Well done!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Whispered wrote: »
    I go to get fat. :pac:
    I go to sightsee, do the big red bus tour and walk around galleries until my feet are blistered. In Italy though, getting fat was top of my agenda.
    The pasta! The gelato! The tiramisu! Nomnom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I go to sightsee, do the big red bus tour and walk around galleries until my feet are blistered. In Italy though, getting fat was top of my agenda.

I couldn't cope with the portion sizes in Italy, ended up having half portions, eating less than half, and having the waiting staff look at me in disgust!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Tiramisu, blehhhh.
    Can't disagree on the pasta and the gelato, though. Pizza, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

If people don't even look at restaurants before they go I must be a complete weirdo for checking out the entirety of my trip before I go. I occasionally plan holidays for places I'd like to go but don't have any real intentions of going to. I'll read guides to the city, it's restaurants, tourist attractions, museums and galleries, if there are any shows on. I'll try and get insiders' tips on what's good and not. I'll check out flights, which are comfortable or not. And I'll do this as though I was trying to be as cheap as possible, with however much money I'd want to have if I were to go, and if I was stonkingly stinking rich.

I think this is probably a symptom of having not left the country in almost a decade. :(

Edit: And all that being said, when I've holiday'd around Ireland I haven't made any plan. I've read loads about what's going on in the different cities and towns in Ireland but unless something really sticks out I'd just do my normal wander. If I then happen upon a place I'd give it a go, but I don't make schedules.

How so Joe wrote: »
    Tiramisu, blehhhh.
    I really just like the top bit of the tiramisu, not the alcohol part- the tiramisu in Pisa was damn fine though. And they have a tower there that leans. :cool:

I have never checked out restaurants in a holiday destination!
    I suss out everything else though. :)

Jeepers I check out nothing! I arrive, find the different tours, take one, then decide where I'd like to see more of :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

I think we are going to italy again this year. Allll the lovely food yay

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

Thanks guys. :)

Got a bit emotional earlier thinking about how far I've come. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I really just like the top bit of the tiramisu, not the alcohol part- the tiramisu in Pisa was damn fine though. And they have a tower there that leans. :cool:
    Did you climb the tower? I wussed out!
    shalalala wrote: »
    I think we are going to italy again this year. Allll the lovely food yay
    I would happily go to Italy every year. I'm totally obsessed with the place. A visit there is worth it for food and wine alone, imo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Going to watch Gone With The Wind with the mother tomorrow. I've never seen it in its' entirity so it should be interesting.
    Pulling my hair our over trying to find affordable accomidation in NYC. My budget is around €1,200 for a week's stay but I'd rather rent out an apartment than stay in a pricy hotel. Hostels are not an option as my aunt and grandmother are finicky as ****. I found what I thought was a perfect rental place for the princely sum of €1054 in the west Manhatten area. Emailed the host for more information only to find it was €1064 PER PERSON for a week. *cries* and it was a perfect apartment too!
    Bleh. Planning a holiday is a right pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

McChubbin wrote: »
    Pulling my hair our over trying to find affordable accomidation in NYC. My budget is around €1,200 for a week's stay but I'd rather rent out an apartment than stay in a pricy hotel. Hostels are not an option as my aunt and grandmother are finicky as ****. I found what I thought was a perfect rental place for the princely sum of €1054 in the west Manhatten area. Emailed the host for more information only to find it was €1064 PER PERSON for a week. *cries* and it was a perfect apartment too!
    Bleh. Planning a holiday is a right pain in the hole.

You'll pay a fortune if you stay right in the middle of everything, but there seems to be plenty of choice if you go just a teeny bit outside the city.

This place is €700 for a room that accommodates 3 people for a week (I just picked a random week in May, so that might vary). It's just across the river, in NJ, but it's not far at all from all the touristy stuff. Reviews say access to Manhattan is easy, a bus leaves from the door every 5 minutes. Includes breakfast too.

It doesn't have to cost a fortune...

Hermione* wrote: »
    Did you climb the tower? I wussed out!!
    No, I remember it cost loads to climb the tower and funds didn't stretch... plus I'm not too great with heights. We got pizza and ice-cream and bought tacky Pisa souvenirs instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Gah! iPad won't open .pub files. Stupid iPad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

McChubbin have you checked out craigslist? Keep an eye on that, it'll give you ideas for areas ect. NY is a super easy city to navigate, so as long as the area is safe I wouldn't worry too much about staying outside manhattan. Also make sure the building has an elevator, a lot of apt buildings don't, I think if it's 5 stories or less they're not required to have one. No fun scooting up 5 stories of stairs with lots of luggage. If you do use CL it's just somethin to look out for or ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

Can't sleep, have to be up in 3 hrs. And no chance of my mid day nap tomorrow. Oh well!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I hugged mine when I got home after reading your post!

New Masterchef! Telly-related happies :D

Ha ha ha ha. Yay for the kitchen appliance love.

On the topic of tea, I would easily drink 10-15 cups if I was at home with my family. When someone walks into our house the first thing that happens is that the kettle goes on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Spent three years in college that were grand for nights out but fairly quiet. Last night went to college bar for student union election results as my best friend was running for a position. Dancing on the tables, it was like RAG week... such good fun, but the place did wind up fairly trashed which isnt good... fire alarm went at midnight and they didnt let anyone back in (meant to be open til 2). Was fab, she won and my ankles are being unforgiving for the amount I danced last night...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

pampootie wrote: »
    But..... But.... How do you make the tay?
    I used to think like that too, til I moved to montpellier where the water is so hard it's unwell. I went through 3 kettles in the first 6 months (and yes, I used the calcium-removing products regularly). So since then, I've always boiled the water in a saucepan. Tastes the same to me!

I love organising my holiday! Not completely 100% but I have a fair idea of what I want to visit, the areas where the nice restaurants are etc etc. Usually works well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Morning! Day out with the mammy today. Really looking forward to it. And my lovely husband left me with the car so now day out with the mammy and so many possibilities! Parking in Dublin is a pain though isn't it.

There'll be loads of tay today with the mammy around. :)

Stheno, sorry for bringing this up again, you said when you go away you do a tour and then decide what you'd like to see more of. We're thinking of doing a quad tour when we go, on maybe our third day. That should give us a nice idea of the whole place for our last few days shouldn't it. Our first day is to be spent travelling, we don't land until 10.30pm which feels a bit of a waste to me to be honest. Ah well I won't complain!

Jesus you'd swear I was going to Timbuktu. It's only fecking Portugal. Writing it all down, I can see why K thinks I'm a tad "planno".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm getting too fast at the work they gave me for training. What would take me to lunch when I first started I today finished at half 9. And there's nothing else for me to do except sit.....

The boredom is killing me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm getting too fast at the work they gave me for training. What would take me to lunch when I first started I today finished at half 9. And there's nothing else for me to do except sit.....

The boredom is killing me!
    Take up smoking so you have to go on smoking breaks.

Regale each member of the office with your boyfriend/marriage preparation/pregnancy/aren't my kids the best stories, each office member individually.

Call home to make sure everything is ticking along nicely without you.

I worked with people that would stretch very little work into a whole day in this manner!

EDIT: Oh yes, get your friend to swipe your time card in the morning so you can still come in late in the morning, and leave at 4 taking advantage of the flexi time system!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I notice others wearing headphones so I decided to sort myself an audio book for tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Did you climb the tower? I wussed out!
    I would happily go to Italy every year. I'm totally obsessed with the place. A visit there is worth it for food and wine alone, imo!
    climbed the tower when I was in pisa... in heels!

The people the food and the weather is just all so good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

good morning :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I notice others wearing headphones so I decided to sort myself an audio book for tomorrow!

The universal "feck off and leave me alone" sign :)

Lovely morning to cycle into work there, only wish I had more than 3km to travel to work because I was pretty happy out there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Pisa is lovely, the food was amazing!

I didn't climb the tower either, I hate heights :p

I'd go back in the morning if I could!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement